Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 20, '05, 3:23 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite
Default Parishes in the Detroit Area

Looks like I will be moving again, this time to the Detroit area. I will be getting a job offer early next week with a company in the Southfield area and will be loking for an apartment in that area.

I have heard alot of bad things about parishes in the Detroit area, but ahve not heard much about good ones. Are there any parishes you would recommend in the Southfield are surrounding area?

Thanks in advance.

PF
Old May 20, '05, 3:29 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: orthodox Roman Catholic (love the church & all it stands 4!
Default Re: Parishes in the Detroit Area

A friend's sister lives out there and I visited the National Shrine of St. Teresa the Little Flower in Royal Oaks. I think that's a bit North West of Detroit, so I don't know what kind of commute you'd be looking at. But they have a Carmelite Cloister associated with the Shrine, so it should be a good parish. And my friend's sister swears by it. (Don't know how orthodox she is though).

Good luck with the job offer and all that the move entails.

God Bless,

CARose
Old May 20, '05, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARose
A friend's sister lives out there and I visited the National Shrine of St. Teresa the Little Flower in Royal Oaks. I think that's a bit North West of Detroit, so I don't know what kind of commute you'd be looking at. But they have a Carmelite Cloister associated with the Shrine, so it should be a good parish. And my friend's sister swears by it. (Don't know how orthodox she is though).
I like the daily Masses from that parish- they broadcast "Live from the Shrine" every morning on Michigan Catholic Radio (1090 AM in Detroit) and the Mass is part of the broadcast at 8:30 am.

Welcome to the area! It's a great place, IMO.
Old May 20, '05, 5:44 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARose

Good luck with the job offer and all that the move entails.

God Bless,

CARose
my baptismal parish, used to be pretty funky for a while in the 70s (but who wasn't) heard it is much more orthodox now. Southfield is pretty big, where abouts are you?
Old May 20, '05, 6:26 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie
my baptismal parish, used to be pretty funky for a while in the 70s (but who wasn't) heard it is much more orthodox now. Southfield is pretty big, where abouts are you?
I will not be moving for about a week or so. I need to find an apartment. The company I will be working for is in the center of Southfield (Northwestern Highway).

PF
Old May 20, '05, 7:03 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Figure out where you want to live, also because there aren't a tremendous amout of orthodox parishes in that very area. You could drive a little ways to church, but let's see where you settle in. Here's a parish locator ffrom the Archdiocese of Detroit. any name you give us, we can get feedback & info for you. Good luck!
My son just started a job on Northwestern Hwy in Farmingon Hills. Just west of Middlebelt.

God bless,
Sue

http://www.aodonline.org/AODOnline/P...ishLocator.htm
Old May 21, '05, 7:03 am

I live in Detroit and there are many good Catholic Churches in the area. I attend St. Barbara's in Dearborn (one mile outside of Detroit). It's pretty conservative. I have also attended Holy Trinity (downtown Detroit). That church seemed somewhat more "lax" in it's practices--but, not overly so. St. Barbara's still does regular confession, Stations of the Cross, regular Novenas...ect. Some of the churches in Michigan are "more liberal" and don't even have confessionals anymore! Like St. Mary's in the city of Wayne. (I've attended that church too--but found it a little too "hippy" for my tastes. Guitars, tambourines and flowers in their hair...ect.) Not that there's anything wrong with that--but, they don't have confessionals, they don't do Novenas--or even have kneelers anymore!

Your best bet would be to decide what type of church you'd like to attend and then attend a few of them to get the "flavor" of that particular church and see if it's for you.

Take Care,

C J
Old May 21, '05, 8:18 am

Religion: catholic

I grew up in Southfield. We went to St. Michael's. I haven't been back in years though (at least 15). I don't know the Pastor or any of the priests there now. I do know a few families who still go there. And the Parish secretary is still the same and a good friend of our family. It is Fransiscan. Here is the link http://www.turgle.org/St_Michael/
Old May 21, '05, 12:03 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by annemjones96
I grew up in Southfield. We went to St. Michael's. I haven't been back in years though (at least 15). I don't know the Pastor or any of the priests there now. I do know a few families who still go there. And the Parish secretary is still the same and a good friend of our family. It is Fransiscan. Here is the link http://www.turgle.org/St_Michael/
Thanks. This one is very close to where I will be working and an apartment complex I am looking at. The only one closer is the Chaldean Cathedral.

PF
Old May 21, '05, 12:25 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

I grew up in Southfield and was cantor/soloist at Saint Ives for decades until the current pastor. I attended Saint Michael School (Ives has no school), also in Southfield

Saint Ives Parish

Ives used to be a thriving parish in the 70s, although it was radically liberal. Now it has one Saturday evening Mass and ONE Sunday Mass, and not that many attend it. The pastor might be partially to blame (NO people skills -- only interested in $$$, and he makes it obvious that he does not like children) -- , but the demographics of Southfield have changed dramatically in the past 10 years, too. There are not many Catholics in Southfield any longer, and the four Latin Rite parishes (St. Ives, St. Michael, St. Bede, and St. Beatrice) are not particularly vibrant.

For a more vibrant parish, check out National Shrine of the Little Flower, which is at 12 Mile and Woodward, just a five miles east of Saint Ives, in Royal Oak. I don't know how orthodox it is, but I suspect it is fairly orthodox. National Shrine of the Little Flower Parish

'thann
Old May 21, '05, 2:02 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderAimlessly
Thanks. This one is very close to where I will be working and an apartment complex I am looking at. The only one closer is the Chaldean Cathedral.

PF
Aha, I know where you mean. The Chaldean Cathedral was a little closer to where we lived as well. I just noticed that your location is Scranton, which is not far from where I am now.

thann I also went to St. Michael school. You're right that the demographics of Southfield have changed. I remember a good portion of my neighborhood was Catholic when I was growing up there. All of my friends from the neighborhood went to school with me. Most of those families don't live around there anymore. My sister was Baptised at the National Shrine of the Little Flower.
Old May 21, '05, 3:45 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by annemjones96
Aha, I know where you mean. The Chaldean Cathedral was a little closer to where we lived as well. I just noticed that your location is Scranton, which is not far from where I am now.
annem:

I see you are in Philadelphia. I use to live in Ambler (Just N or Phil) and went to Mary, Mother of the Redeemer in North Wales.

PF
Old May 21, '05, 3:56 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, Latin (Roman) Rite

St Cyril & Methodius in Sterling Heights ... bit of a drive (maybe a half hour) from Southfield, but worth EVERY mile.

In Detroit.... Assumption Grotto... you can not find better!!
(again a half hour + from Southfield)

TLM at a beautiful old church in downtown Detroit (St. Josephat).

St Michael's in Southfield is okay.

Depends on what you really feel called to, I guess
Old May 21, '05, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrS
St Cyril & Methodius in Sterling Heights ... bit of a drive (maybe a half hour) from Southfield, but worth EVERY mile.

I will also second the worth every mile statement.
I recently joined St Cyril & Methodius it takes me 45 minutes to get there and it was like living the journey home the first time I was there. The priest Fr. Ben is young but very traditional.
The most peace I have had at a sunday Mass in many years.
Old May 21, '05, 4:21 pm

Quote:

This is a must experience, even if you don't register here.

I have been visiting and may register in the coming months. The atmosphere is very different. While it may look foreign at first (especially after living the "American Rite"), I must say that I am impressed with several things here that are lacking in many parishes:
  • The most highly pastoral parish I've experienced and quite visible in only a few trips.
  • The most highly reverent parish I've experienced (no fidgety kids, or kids eating fruit-loops in the pews, or people slumped over, making faces at babies all through mass. Rather, the Mass is more focused on God as the center of the event rather than the people. Kids seem content sitting in their pews without the toys.)
  • The most penitential parish I've seen (lots of confession opportunities even during the week early in 7:30am mass and then some. Let me tell you, people take advantage of it in ways I've never seen at a parish so something is going right)
  • The most prayerful community - people often remaining behind after mass to pray and reflect.
  • The most talented parish I've experienced (pastor has a masters in music - I think sacred music and he has orchestral masses with a stringed symphony - ohhhh sweetness when I heard it on Pentecost). Even the morning weekday masses are done in Gregorian chant at 7:30 and sometimes the 8:30.
  • Lots of Latin opportunities - including the weekday Masses, lauds before Mass, and Sunday Mass
  • I sensed, and time will tell, that people are more kind and virtuous. People seem to know a new face and are helpful. You don't have to worry about getting run over as you leave the parking lot at this church.
If you are looking for a "people-centered" Mass, you don't want to go to Assumption Grotto. If you are looking for a God-centered Mass, you definitely want to go to Assumption Grotto. The people-centeredness happens outside of the mass, and in big ways from what I can see.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence