Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 27, '11, 11:02 am

Religion: Catholic
Question A strange question concerning the priesthood

Hi everyone. I am new to posting on CAF, but I have visited the site many times reading over the various discussion threads.

I have a question regarding my feeling called to the priesthood. I hope no one is offended by this post as it is a little explicit. For the past couple of years I have felt a growing call to become a priest. My spiritual life has really blossomed in the last 4 or 5 years and more and more often the idea of becoming a priest enters into my head. It feels right. It feels like this is what I am supposed to be. So what's the problem?

Well, before I became more religiously minded I was rather worldly. I feel a certain kinship with Saints Augustine and Francis since they both led questionable lives before their conversions. Anyway, over years I nurtured and developed a strong addiction to sexual activities. I am convinced part of this is innate, since even before I began living a less than moral life I recall reaching sexual maturity and awareness before most of my peers.

For some time now I have been battling against my former ways. I have made some progress (I certainly don't "sleep around" anymore) but I can't seem to rid myself of these strong impulses that almost always lead me to sin. Though I am by no means a saint, this is the one area of my life that I feel would prevent me from entering the priesthood if it is not corrected.

Recently I have looked into surgical castration. From the research I have done it appears that the procedure is quick, easy to perform, and has a relatively speedy recovery time (approx. 1 month). According to various medical articles the procedure eliminates or at least greatly reduces sexual desires. Honestly, this sounds amazing to me as strange as that may seem. Even if the procedure were only to significantly reduce my desires (though I'd prefer it if they were eliminated altogether) then I'd be quite happy and I believe then I would be able to meet the demands of the priesthood.

My question is this: is this morally acceptable? Is this seen as a valid (albeit extreme) way to overcome one's lusts? Or would this bar me from becoming a priest?

Again, sorry for the somewhat graphic nature of the question. I look forward to any advice anyone may be able to give me on the matter. Thanks.
Old May 27, '11, 11:30 am

Default Re: A strange question concerning the priesthood

I hope you are working with a good spiritual director. You obviously strongly desire to live a life pleasing to the Lord.

The very thing that you think may make you able to live the priestly life is actually an impediment by canon law to the priesthood.

If you are indeed called to the priesthood God will give you the grace of celibacy, although this may not happen overnight. It would be a process of regaining freedom in this area. (Thus my recommendation for a good spiritual director.) In any case let us pray that God gives us each the gift of purity.
Old May 27, '11, 11:33 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I believe that this would not be a proper way to deal with one's lust. It's the wrong way to deal with temptation. God gives us the ability to resist it, no matter how strong it is. Castration is just the wrong solution, when relying on God's grace is the right one. Go frequently to confession, receive communion frequently, and fast. You may find yourself dealing better with these temptations.

Furthermore, I know that seminaries would not accept a man that would do this. Celibacy is meant to be a sacrifice, in which you give something up. It's not as much of a sacrifice if you have no sex drive. Also, you don't know yet whether or not you are called to be a priest. A man only ever truly knows that he is called when he is ordained. What if you entered the seminary, and then discerned that God wasn't calling you? You'd be in quite a bit of trouble there.

A story of my path to priesthood
Old May 27, '11, 12:19 pm

Hello and welcome to CAF! I see this is your first post, I hope you enjoy your experiences with CAF.

Castration is mutilation of the body God gave you. The above posters are correct that this would be an immoral thing to do.

I know it can be difficult, but God wants you to bear your cross, not try and surgically remove it. The battle with sexual immorality is a cross that pretty much everyone bears. For years, St. Catherine of Sienna was so constantly tempted with lustful thoughts that at times she was sure she would give in. But years later, Jesus appeared to her and told her because she had not willingly consented to them, and had fought them every step of the way, that she had actually strengthened because of them and grew in holiness.

It's kind of like working out, just like you resist weights to build muscle, you also resist temptation to strengthen yourself spiritually. I'm sure you don't feel like it, but God is allowing you to be tempted in order to make a saint out of you. Your job is simply to stand firm and refuse to give in to them.

I wish you all the best, I will say a prayer for you!

"Do not be afraid. Do not be satisfied with mediocrity. Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch." - Blessed Pope John Paul II
Old May 27, '11, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smichhertz View Post
Hello and welcome to CAF! I see this is your first post, I hope you enjoy your experiences with CAF.

Castration is mutilation of the body God gave you. The above posters are correct that this would be an immoral thing to do.

I know it can be difficult, but God wants you to bear your cross, not try and surgically remove it. The battle with sexual immorality is a cross that pretty much everyone bears. For years, St. Catherine of Sienna was so constantly tempted with lustful thoughts that at times she was sure she would give in. But years later, Jesus appeared to her and told her because she had not willingly consented to them, and had fought them every step of the way, that she had actually strengthened because of them and grew in holiness.

It's kind of like working out, just like you resist weights to build muscle, you also resist temptation to strengthen yourself spiritually. I'm sure you don't feel like it, but God is allowing you to be tempted in order to make a saint out of you. Your job is simply to stand firm and refuse to give in to them.

I wish you all the best, I will say a prayer for you!
I like this post. Especially the weight workout point. God bless

If you keep my commandments, you are my disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.
Old May 27, '11, 2:34 pm

Thank you all for your advice.

I suspected that castration might not be acceptable to the Church, though a selfish part of me had hoped otherwise. I didn't think it would compromise the sacrifice of being celibate for the sake of the priesthood since to go through surgical castration would be an obvious sacrifice for any person to make.

As for having a spiritual director, unfortunately I currently do not have one. I moved to a very small town for college and there are few priests. The priests that I know out here, to be blunt, seem like they have sort of settled down out here in a state of pseudo-retirement and don't much want to be bothered with additional tasks beyond Mass services. I don't say this as an insult towards these men, just as an observation that could be incorrect.

I hope to find a good spiritual director once I graduate in about a year and move on to grad school in what will, hopefully, be a larger city with more clergy available to help me in discerning if I am called to this vocation.
Old May 27, '11, 3:26 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic.

My opinion is that castration is not a good way to go, We are not dogs or horses. We are humans. I like the fact you are so on fire with being a priest you are willing to go to that extreme. I am sure there are many priests that have a "past" Father Corapi is one that I can think of right now.
I don't have sexual problems and I am very thankful for that. BUT!!!!! and I say BUT!!! I have a strong desire for toys. I love cars trucks stereo equipment and guns and musical instruments and I am a collector and what I call a neat and orderly hoarder. Not like on that show. I am well more of a packrat. I know that being a priest in a diocese you don't take the vow of poverty, but I am sure you have to simplify your life so you can serve the church to your fullest. So if indeed I am called and I am sponsored I will have to struggle with wanting "things" and if I see an old console stereo or an old organ I am going to have to pass on it and focus on more Godly things. I am sure that we all have struggles and tendensies (sp?) and we all have to keep them in check.
I understand the desires and the sexual problems as I am called atleast to a cellebate life,,I still see a beautiful woman and well I am a man and all. Then I start to think that that woman is someone's wife daughter, mother, then I think of our Virgin Mother and then the little thoughts that get you hot and bothered just flow away and satan again gets behind and I go on.
I certainly don't think castration is a reasonable choice and I feel prayer and changing your outlook on women will be much more reasonable. I know people that were acloholics and are recovered. Seems like a real hard thing to beat. It can be done and I know several folks that kicked that lifestyle and are doing very well. So I would look at normal sexual problems as addictions and that is how I see it. My opinion.
Old May 27, '11, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustard_seed View Post
Thank you all for your advice.

I suspected that castration might not be acceptable to the Church, though a selfish part of me had hoped otherwise. I didn't think it would compromise the sacrifice of being celibate for the sake of the priesthood since to go through surgical castration would be an obvious sacrifice for any person to make.

As for having a spiritual director, unfortunately I currently do not have one. I moved to a very small town for college and there are few priests. The priests that I know out here, to be blunt, seem like they have sort of settled down out here in a state of pseudo-retirement and don't much want to be bothered with additional tasks beyond Mass services. I don't say this as an insult towards these men, just as an observation that could be incorrect.

I hope to find a good spiritual director once I graduate in about a year and move on to grad school in what will, hopefully, be a larger city with more clergy available to help me in discerning if I am called to this vocation.
Still, it wouldn't hurt to ask the priests in your town. Try. If they don't want to help you, they won't. If they do, they will. You lose nothing if you try.

Old May 28, '11, 2:18 am
Book Club Member

Religion: CATHOLIC

Quote:
Hi everyone. I am new to posting on CAF, but I have visited the site many times reading over the various discussion threads.

I have a question regarding my feeling called to the priesthood. I hope no one is offended by this post as it is a little explicit. For the past couple of years I have felt a growing call to become a priest. My spiritual life has really blossomed in the last 4 or 5 years and more and more often the idea of becoming a priest enters into my head. It feels right. It feels like this is what I am supposed to be. So what's the problem?

Well, before I became more religiously minded I was rather worldly. I feel a certain kinship with Saints Augustine and Francis since they both led questionable lives before their conversions.
Let's begin here. This is a myth.

Augustine had a mistress, only one. It was a woman whom he dearly loved and with whom he had a very stable relationship and they parented one child. They never married because the social norms of the time would not allow it. They belonged to different social classes. After his conversion, she too underwent a conversion to the faith. He became a monk and she allegedly became a nun. Their son died less than a year after he and Augustine were baptized.

Francis of Assisi was known for being frivolous, not promiscuous. In fact, his contemporaries write that we was a virgin. There is no known woman in his life at any time or man either. As a young brother he struggled with sexual temptations as does any young man. This we know from his closest friends who wrote about his struggles.

Quote:
Anyway, over years I nurtured and developed a strong addiction to sexual activities. I am convinced part of this is innate, since even before I began living a less than moral life I recall reaching sexual maturity and awareness before most of my peers.

For some time now I have been battling against my former ways. I have made some progress (I certainly don't "sleep around" anymore) but I can't seem to rid myself of these strong impulses that almost always lead me to sin. Though I am by no means a saint, this is the one area of my life that I feel would prevent me from entering the priesthood if it is not corrected.
We all struggle with our humanity. The struggle takes many shapes and forms: sex, temper, addictions, moods, and so forth. The key is to continue to struggle until we overcome. However, another human weakness will replace that one. It's part of the human condition.

The key to chastity is to have healthy relationships with members of both sexes. We need frienship, human affection and to love and be loved. Even celibate men and women cultivate healthy relationships with other human beings. These are parents, friends, siblings, members of the community and so forth.

A strong devotion to the Blessed Mother is very necessary. Even when we fall, we should not stop callilng upon her to help us continue to try. She is the mother of purity itself. Whether it's praying the rosary or some other form of prayer, stay close to Mary. Even when you fall, do not be ashamed to go to her. She understands the human condition and she wants to draw us to her son.

Quote:
Recently I have looked into surgical castration. From the research I have done it appears that the procedure is quick, easy to perform, and has a relatively speedy recovery time (approx. 1 month). According to various medical articles the procedure eliminates or at least greatly reduces sexual desires. Honestly, this sounds amazing to me as strange as that may seem. Even if the procedure were only to significantly reduce my desires (though I'd prefer it if they were eliminated altogether) then I'd be quite happy and I believe then I would be able to meet the demands of the priesthood.

My question is this: is this morally acceptable? Is this seen as a valid (albeit extreme) way to overcome one's lusts? Or would this bar me from becoming a priest?

Again, sorry for the somewhat graphic nature of the question. I look forward to any advice anyone may be able to give me on the matter. Thanks.
It is never morally acceptable to mutilate the body. Not only does it show a disregard for the dignity of the body, but it is also a disregard for the dignity of our sexuality, which is part of who we are. We must learn to accept ourselves as men and women. We must focus on the fact that human feelings and attractions are neutral. What we do with them is either good or bad.

I would suggest that you pick up a copy of Bl. John Paul's Theology of the Body. One cannot commit oneself to a life of celibacy unless one first commmits oneself to being a man or a woman. You mentioned several saints: Pio, Francis and Augustine. These individuals accepted themselves as men. They did not deny that they were men, nor did they deny that they had the feelings and appetites of men. They succeeded in their quest for purity precisely because they became friends with their manhood. They understood their bodies, their minds and they went before God as they were. They avoided the occasion of sin, led strong prayer lives, and had very loving relationships with other human beings and with the Lord. Through these relationships with men and God they satisfied the natural yearning for intimacy and love.

If you don't have one, I suggest a spiritual director. Many priests, brothers, sisters, deacons and some lay people are trained in the spiritual life, not all, because it's no longer a requirement in seminary formation. But many are well trained and others are naturally gifted in this important ministry of discernment. Word of mouth helps. You may ask around if anyone has a good spiritual director.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."
Old May 30, '11, 5:13 pm
Prayer Warrior

I would like to start by saying that I am not encouraging mustard_seed or anyone else to become a eunuch. However, I am curious since some people who posted on this thread said that by becoming a eunuch a man disqualifies himself for the priesthood where exactly the Church teaches this?

I know in the OT there were various requirements for the priesthood, which would also disqualify people with physical handicaps, but as Catholics we do not follow such regulations anymore, do we?

Also, does it make a difference if a man was castrated because of health reasons? I know for instance some men who have had to be castrated because of prostate or testicular cancer. Were a man a priest and had this happen to him surely he wouldn't be stripped of his priestly faculties would he?

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy mercy. Amen
Old May 30, '11, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodisco View Post
I would like to start by saying that I am not encouraging mustard_seed or anyone else to become a eunuch. However, I am curious since some people who posted on this thread said that by becoming a eunuch a man disqualifies himself for the priesthood where exactly the Church teaches this?

I know in the OT there were various requirements for the priesthood, which would also disqualify people with physical handicaps, but as Catholics we do not follow such regulations anymore, do we?

Also, does it make a difference if a man was castrated because of health reasons? I know for instance some men who have had to be castrated because of prostate or testicular cancer. Were a man a priest and had this happen to him surely he wouldn't be stripped of his priestly faculties would he?
I speak from experience as a seminarian. Part of the application process is making sure that the potential seminarian has a healthy sexuality. A man who castrates himself to avoid temptation does not have a healthy sexuality, nor does he show himself to have a good attitude towards dealing with temptation. No, we don't follow the OT regulations, but that doesn't change the fact that certain things show a man to not be an optimal candidate for the priesthood. That's why they check so many things about you when you apply. As for a man being castrated for medical reasons, that's quite different. I imagine that it probably would not stop a man from becoming a priest, nor would it get a priest get suspended. Still, that's drastically different from being castrated to avoid temptation.

Old May 31, '11, 2:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodisco View Post
I am curious since some people who posted on this thread said that by becoming a eunuch a man disqualifies himself for the priesthood where exactly the Church teaches this?
The matter is arguably disciplinary rather than doctrinal, although sometimes that is a false distinction. Without prejudice to that, the 1983 Code of Canon Law states:

Can. 1041 The following are irregular for receiving orders:

1/ a person who labors under some form of amentia or other psychic illness due to which, after experts have been consulted, he is judged unqualified to fulfill the ministry properly;

2/ a person who has committed the delict of apostasy, heresy, or schism;

3/ a person who has attempted marriage, even only civilly, while either impeded personally from entering marriage by a matrimonial bond, sacred orders, or a public perpetual vow of chastity, or with a woman bound by a valid marriage or restricted by the same type of vow;

4/ a person who has committed voluntary homicide or procured a completed abortion and all those who positively cooperated in either;

5/ a person who has mutilated himself or another gravely and maliciously or who has attempted suicide.

This provision was also present in the 1917 Code, and had long been enforced prior to this. The canon is understood as specifically including castration, which is consistent with the church's teaching on forbidding surgery for the primary reason of enabling infertility, which is seen as against the natural law. (There is an ongoing canonical controversy as to whether even a vasectomy would constitute mutilation and be a bar to ordination, never mind actual castration). Inasmuch as double effect would apply in the case of a man being castrated for medical reasons, it would not be an impediment because it was not the desired result.

There is a widely-held belief that the patristic author Origen castrated himself in response to the words of Matthew 19:12 - 'there are eunuchs, who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven' - and this is one of the reasons why he has never been declared a saint despite his theological contributions and probable death as a martyr.

It is good to venerate the crucifix. But even better than images of wood or stone are living images, souls formed in the image of Christ.
Old May 31, '11, 9:03 pm

Send a message via Skype™ to ChristisRisen32

Quote:

Well, before I became more religiously minded I was rather worldly. I feel a certain kinship with Saints Augustine and Francis since they both led questionable lives before their conversions. Anyway, over years I nurtured and developed a strong addiction to sexual activities. I am convinced part of this is innate, since even before I began living a less than moral life I recall reaching sexual maturity and awareness before most of my peers.

Hey Mustard Seed,

I know how you feel. I'm going to be a senior in high school and currently discerning. I don't "sleep around" but I am guilty of masturbating and I'm progressing on stopping that. I would recommend forming a relationship with the Blessed Mother. She'll crush Satan's head for you

Here are some things to help:
1) Sacramentals- Keep them everywhere! Invest and enroll in the Brown Scapular, wear a Miraculous Medal, Crucifix, etc. Keep a rosary in your pocket and pray it every night! Have a holy water font in your room. Nothing fancy- a bowl will do.

2) Prayer-Adoration frequently. Whenever you have a temptation say "Precious Blood wash over me" and "Spirit of sexual sins, I bind you and send you to the foot of the Cross to be judged by our Lord" The Divine Mercy Chaplet, Office of Readings, and Rosary are great ways to improve prayer life. Meditate on Scripture.

3) Sacraments-DAILY MASS, weekly Confession. Receive the Eucharist frequently. You will be showered with grace.

4) Find a spiritual director

I will pray for your discernment. Talk to a priest now!!!!!

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,
Tony
Old May 31, '11, 9:37 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
H

Rs.
if this describes your current mode of life then you are not at this time being called to the priesthood. at some future time, in discernment with a spiritual director, after conquering this particular affliction, that might change, but not on your own efforts, only after complete surrender to Christ's will and dependence on the power of the Holy Spirit to effect such change, and after much more growth in spiritual maturity.

the course of action you propose is gravely immoral, specifically forbidden especially for the reason you give, and would disqualify you from the priesthood if undertaken deliberately. while it would prevent actually acting out on some (not all) of the impulses that are troublesome to you, it would in no way contribute to your spiritual or psycho-sexual maturity and therefore would not further the goal of becoming conformed to Christ in the priesthood.
Old Jun 2, '11, 6:49 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Just my two cents here

I just finished reading Fr. Cantalemassa's book on virginity and he spends a good bit of the book on talking about how virginity is a charism which means if you are called to the celibate life for the sake of the kingdom God will give you the gift of virginity. Remember that "If God calls you to it God will get you through it." Just keep striving to live for Him day by day and the rest will fall into place.

JMJDTF+
~Betsy

Totus tuus Maria! Let's see what the good God wills.
I would rather have a hand in getting one priest back to the altar of God than to write a thousand books on the priesthood or to preach a million sermons on the glory of the priesthood, for neither the sermons nor the books can hold Christ in their hands and offer Him to the Father Fr Fitzgerald Sp

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations