Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 21, '05, 10:36 am

Religion: Catholic
Default James White and the others

So would everyone agree that www.aomin.org is probably the protestant equivalent to www.catholic.com ...or at least close to it? So why is it when you come to Catholic Answers website, you get lists of Catholic beliefs and why we believe them, but when you go to James White's site and others similar, all you get is a list of other people's faiths and why you shouldn't belive them? Alpha and Omega Ministries is so concerned with other people's faith, that they can never seem to get around to simply explaining "this is what we believe and why"...without putting down another faith to do so. It is so overboard, that even on Mr. White's trip to Rome, he had to update his blog to let people know how repulsive the Vatican is, even aside from faith. He critiqued statues and the marble material of certain structures. If you ask me, I think this is a perfect example of Inferiority Complex.

inferiority complex

n. A persistent sense of inadequacy or a tendency to self-diminishment, sometimes resulting in excessive aggressiveness through overcompensation

inferiority complex

n : a sense of personal inferiority arising from conflict between the desire to be noticed and the fear of being humiliated

inferiority complex

In psychology, a complexor cluster of repressed fears, described by Alfred Adler, based on physical inferiority. The term is popularly used to describe general feelings of inferiority and the overcompensation that often ensues.

After all...if James White converted to Catholicism....who would he debate? How would he earn a living?
Old May 21, '05, 10:40 am

Default Re: James White and the others

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgazin
So would everyone agree that www.aomin.org is probably the protestant equivalent to www.catholic.com ...or at least close to it? So why is it when you come to Catholic Answers website, you get lists of Catholic beliefs and why we believe them, but when you go to James White's site and others similar, all you get is a list of other people's faiths and why you shouldn't belive them? Alpha and Omega Ministries is so concerned with other people's faith, that they can never seem to get around to simply explaining "this is what we believe and why"...without putting down another faith to do so. It is so overboard, that even on Mr. White's trip to Rome, he had to update his blog to let people know how repulsive the Vatican is, even aside from faith. He critiqued statues and the marble material of certain structures. If you ask me, I think this is a perfect example of Inferiority Complex.

inferiority complex

n. A persistent sense of inadequacy or a tendency to self-diminishment, sometimes resulting in excessive aggressiveness through overcompensation

inferiority complex

n : a sense of personal inferiority arising from conflict between the desire to be noticed and the fear of being humiliated

inferiority complex

In psychology, a complexor cluster of repressed fears, described by Alfred Adler, based on physical inferiority. The term is popularly used to describe general feelings of inferiority and the overcompensation that often ensues.

After all...if James White converted to Catholicism....who would he debate? How would he earn a living?
What you are describing is what we used to call envy.

Anna
Old May 21, '05, 11:14 am
Forum Master

For some people all they have is their insane crusades against the Catholic Church. They are angry people, filled with bile to whom the ends (getting people out of the Catholic Church at all costs) justifies the means. It's sad, really. I have very deep pity for this sort of mixed up person with such a paranoid view of life. No matter how much one tries to reason with them, they will not listen.

They remind me of the dwarves in C. S. Lewis' The Last Battle (the last book in the Chronicles of Narnia). These dwarves are sitting in a hovel of a stable, filth all around them, but they will not see the banquet set out before them because they are sure they are being deceived. James White and others like him are doing the same thing. Here he was in all the glory and splendor of the art of the Renaissance while in Rome and all he could do was complain that it was just so much idolatry. How limited. How silly. Poor man!
Old May 21, '05, 11:31 am

There is a practical reason why anti-Catholic Protestants don't emphasize their own beliefs: It would alienate all the other thousands of denominations of Protestants and their support would collapse.

Everything else aside, we need to use our not-so-secret weapon: pray for them constantly.
Old May 21, '05, 12:30 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

I think that the worse anti-catholic person I've come across is Jack Chick. www.chick.com. It's pathetic. Basically, he claims that the catholic faith is nothing more than cleaned up pagan worship. He uses tracts and the like for evangelizing. You can buy these tracts, as well as books and comic books, through his web site. Or you can order his catalog. It's all pretty sick. Maybe some of you can check out his stuff. You can read it online.

These people are so consumed by hate that they can't see where they are. They don't see the danger in what they are doing.
Old May 21, '05, 1:22 pm

Religion: Catholic (typical hardcore papist)

It is a shame that people do and make a living off of negativity. Of course if I complain too much about it, then I am the one being negative aren't I. So instead I will just try and pray for them to try and seek the truth in an unbiased manner.

I much prefer a consistant emphasis of a belief that is supportable by a uniform belief. If you have the truth you have nothing to fear about stating your beliefs in a comprehensive manner. If you have the truth it would be consistant and historically supportable.

That is what drew me to the Catholic faith, if I have a question about what a Catholic believes, I can find out why and it is consistant. I much prefer having a defined belief that a bunch of competing beliefs of people who agree to disagree. Or a belief based on having a negative view on some other group.

I have a lot of missionaries who come to "save me" from Romanism. Generally their discussion involves what is wrong with the Catholic Church. These I welcome as I enjoy explaining what the Church really teaches, unfortunately as soon a I do this they attack something else. If more people though stand up for what the Church really teaches then maybe it might sink in that they are attacking, instead of preaching the good news.

Someone like James White has a lot to lose if he investigates Catholicism with a unbiased view. We should pray for him and the others for a more positive, prayerful look at the Church.

Scylla
1 Timothy 3:15
Old May 21, '05, 2:12 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Christy Beth I think that the worse anti-catholic person I've come across is Jack Chick. www.chick.com. It's pathetic. Basically, he claims that the catholic faith is nothing more than cleaned up pagan worship. He uses tracts and the like for evangelizing. You can buy these tracts, as well as books and comic books, through his web site. Or you can order his catalog. It's all pretty sick. Maybe some of you can check out his stuff. You can read it online.

These people are so consumed by hate that they can't see where they are. They don't see the danger in what they are doing.
Indeed. I've read a few Chick tracts, and they make me sick. Not just the accusations, but the ignorance.

The religion that Jack Chick portrays as Catholic in his work is nowhere near what we know and love...it is a vile, low, evil thing that consumes souls. It's as if he makes no effort whatsoever to understand the truth.

I realized that the best way to try to bring home our departed brethren is not to combat them, not to argue with them, but be reasonable. Prime example: It seems at times i'm far too argumentative when I know i'm going to have a hard discussion with someone, as I did with a teacher of mine. He's a Baptist, and reasonably anti-Catholic. The conversation started inauspiciously, then became a heated debate, and ended with him degrading the logic of my arguments with some weird belief that the Holy Spirit inspired the Petros/Petra inconsistency when the Scriptures were written. That almost made me laugh, but that was the only satisfaction I could take away from that discussion--I had come no further to convincing him that the Catholic Church was the Church.

To contrast, I have a friend who is Methodist and is quite reasonable to talk to and quite enthralled with the book of Revelation. I told him of the book "The Lamb's Supper" by Scott Hahn, and he seemed interested. I took that interest and the conversation continued very nicely, with a lot of misunderstanding removed. I explained some of the outward aspects of the Church, like Latin in worship and Marian devotion. Whether or not I will be able to convince him to convert, I don't know. But the important thing is starting the idea of unity.

In short, the type of negativity and trash that Jack Chick makes his money off of will gain little ground in winning souls. But if we imitate Christ and seek to lovingly bring people to the Father, the seemingly far-off dream of unity in Christ may not be as far off as we think.

-ACEGC

Lumen in Caelo
Old May 21, '05, 7:42 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic as the day is long...

A noteworthy bit of info:

James White's sister, Patty Bonds, converted to Catholicism. Her conversion story can be read in "Surprised by Truth" vol III.

http://www.cin.org/archives/cinapol/200201/0001.html

There's hope for everyone, as long as we pray!

RyanL
Old May 21, '05, 9:19 pm

Religion: Catholic convert!
Send a message via AIM to challenger

To my mind, Aomin.org is more of opp. to catholicintl.com than catholic.com, just because White and Sungenis go at it so much. To my knowledge, there isn't a whole lot of back-and-forth between CAnswers and AO.
Old May 21, '05, 9:26 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgazin

inferiority complex

inferiority complex

inferiority complex

He does this because all his beliefs are based on what Catholicism is not. It is defined as opposed to Catholicism.
Old May 22, '05, 2:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanL
A noteworthy bit of info:

James White's sister, Patty Bonds, converted to Catholicism. Her conversion story can be read in "Surprised by Truth" vol III.

http://www.cin.org/archives/cinapol/200201/0001.html

There's hope for everyone, as long as we pray!

RyanL
So could someone fill me in here. I heard that his sister converted to Catholicism, but when I read that link it didnt say much.
Does anyone have any details? This situation is a big deal, I mean if I was constantly told how evil/bad the CC was I would not go near it, if I was in her position I would have stuck close to my brother and had him assure me that the CC was wrong.
There had to be some passages or something that really convinced her.
Old May 22, '05, 3:01 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Dude
So could someone fill me in here. I heard that his sister converted to Catholicism, but when I read that link it didnt say much.
Does anyone have any details? This situation is a big deal, I mean if I was constantly told how evil/bad the CC was I would not go near it, if I was in her position I would have stuck close to my brother and had him assure me that the CC was wrong.
You can listen to her conversion story at EWTN. Here is a link.

http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/...e=jh_021102.ra
Old May 22, '05, 8:21 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

I've always thought it was significant that there are no equivalent Catholic organizations to anti-Catholic one's like "Missions to Catholics," "Christians Evangelizing Catholics," "Bereans Beacon" as well as Mr. Whites organization. Catholic apologetics has always been defensive, rarely targeting particular groups in the same way professional anti-Catholics do. I beleive if there were no anti-Catholic groups, there would no apologetics as we know it needed.

SSSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday...795172?ref=sgm
Old May 22, '05, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Dude

http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/s2.htm -- This page has some audio links and some articles by her....including her letter to her brother after he gave her a final "goodbye."

Here is the letter: http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/s17.htm
Old May 22, '05, 9:46 am

Send a message via Yahoo to mkw

These "lost" people feed to the laziness of people. I have read some of Jack Chicks comic books. We all know that his "information" is taken out of context, misquoted, or only a part of a paragraph or sentence is given leaving out the other part. We all know his tricks and slight of hand.

But he is so successful because his readers appear to be to lazy to research for themselves to find out the truth. They find it easier and more sensational to just believe what Chick writes.

If I appear to be less then charitable, I apologize. Just venting a little frustration and personal observation.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics