Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 1, '11, 8:58 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Wedding Reception Grace ideas

Hey guys,

I've been asked via my girlfriend to say grace at a friend's wedding. Neither the bride nor groom are religious, and I don't know anyone who will be at the reception beside me and maybe one or two others who are Catholic.

They are being married at a United Church. So my question is what do you think about grace in this context. Since I am leading it, should I bless myself and say "In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.", or just say it without blessing myself.

Also, just wondering what kind of language I should include in the actual prayer.

What are your thoughts?

Phil
Old Jun 1, '11, 9:41 pm

Default Re: Wedding Reception Grace ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8888 View Post
Hey guys,

I've been asked via my girlfriend to say grace at a friend's wedding. Neither the bride nor groom are religious, and I don't know anyone who will be at the reception beside me and maybe one or two others who are Catholic.

They are being married at a United Church. So my question is what do you think about grace in this context. Since I am leading it, should I bless myself and say "In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.", or just say it without blessing myself.

Also, just wondering what kind of language I should include in the actual prayer.

What are your thoughts?

Phil
I say go with the sign of the cross. If people are afraid of the trinity, then they aren't christians.
Old Jun 2, '11, 2:38 am
Banned

Religion: Not a believer

My view as a non-religious person is that if you have been asked to do something based on your beliefs you should express those beliefs in a way which is proper to you, i.e. without leaving anything important to you out, while as far as possible understanding and respecting the positions of those you are with. There will be quite a bit in common with the non-believers, as meals shared for fellowship and celebration are a big part of their lives as well as Christian tradition. Non-believers may appreciate careful use of pronouns: 'we give thanks' without saying to whom, but "I ask this in the name ..." have a happy wedding with your friends.
Old Jun 2, '11, 4:19 am

Religion: Catholic - Roman Rite

This is from the USCCB's "Catholic Household Blessings and Prayers":

TABLE BLESSING FOR WEDDINGS

This blessing may be used before the meal at a wedding reception.
A member of the wedding party or one of the parents of the newly married couple may serve as the leader.

When everyone has gathered at table and the meal is ready to be served,
all make the sign of the cross.

The minister says:

Blessed be God who has brought us together in joy.
R. Blessed be God forever.

The leader introduces the blessing in these or similar words:
We have gathered here to celebrate the love of N. and N.
God has brought them together, and we pray that God will hold them in his love always.
As the food we share will strengthen our bodies, may our time together strengthen the love that binds us.

After a time of silence, the leader prays:

Let us pray.

Lord God,
you sustain all creatures
and never cease to give your children the food they need.
We bless you for bringing us together
in the love that unites us around this table
where the food we take strengthens our bodies.
We pray that, nourished by your Word,
we may grow ever stronger in faith
as we strive for the coming of your Kingdom.

We ask this through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.

Old Jun 2, '11, 7:17 am

"When everyone has gathered at table and the meal is ready to be served, all make the sign of the cross."

Sounds like that was designed for a specifically Catholic group. At the one I will be attending, I doubt anyone will make the sign of the cross.
Old Jun 2, '11, 8:25 am
Banned

Religion: Conservative Catholic

I just have one suggestion. Regardless of what you decide to do, be brief and don't drone on. This could be why you were asked as a Catholic rather than a protestant. Whenever I'm eating and someone who is protestant says grace they go on and on forever.
Old Jun 2, '11, 8:39 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

They asked a Catholic to give the blessing - they should never expect you to put your faith in the closet just to attend their wedding and fulfill this role.

You are Catholic, so pray like a Catholic. I don't see why who they are or where they are getting married should make any difference.

~Liza
Old Jun 2, '11, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
They asked a Catholic to give the blessing - they should never expect you to put your faith in the closet just to attend their wedding and fulfill this role.

You are Catholic, so pray like a Catholic. I don't see why who they are or where they are getting married should make any difference.

~Liza
Ditto! They might have even asked you because they wanted catholic prayer, not some 10-minute rambling protestant prayer about anything that comes to the person's mind.
Old Jun 2, '11, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokomai View Post
My view as a non-religious person is that if you have been asked to do something based on your beliefs you should express those beliefs in a way which is proper to you, i.e. without leaving anything important to you out, while as far as possible understanding and respecting the positions of those you are with. There will be quite a bit in common with the non-believers, as meals shared for fellowship and celebration are a big part of their lives as well as Christian tradition. Non-believers may appreciate careful use of pronouns: 'we give thanks' without saying to whom, but "I ask this in the name ..." have a happy wedding with your friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post

~Liza
Both great answers
Old Jun 2, '11, 10:06 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMc View Post
Ditto! They might have even asked you because they wanted catholic prayer, not some 10-minute rambling protestant prayer about anything that comes to the person's mind.

Did you read what I wrote previously? This is exactly what I was thinking.
Old Jun 2, '11, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post

Did you read what I wrote previously? This is exactly what I was thinking.
Haha! I actually didn't read your post. I guess great minds think alike!
Old Jun 2, '11, 1:22 pm

Religion: Believer in Christ, hoping to cross the Tiber.

You are a Catholic, I don't see anything wrong with crossing yourself and invoking the Trinity. All truly Christian churches believe in this doctrine and should not be offended by it. I would simply pray that the Lord bless the food, those who prepared it, and bless the couple/marriage. Keep it pretty simple, and end the prayer in the name of the Trinity at the end as well. Should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8888 View Post
Hey guys,

What are your thoughts?

Phil
Old Jun 2, '11, 1:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMc View Post
I think that what you say makes a lot of sense. We must remember that the apostles fell asleep when Jesus was spending more than 10 minutes in the garden saying his rambling prayers. He did that more than once and He even dared to chastise them for sleeping. What a protestant attitude He had!
Old Jun 2, '11, 8:17 pm
Prayer Warrior

Clarification please...are they being married in a Unitarian Church or United church?

Unitarians do not beleive in the trinity, only one God. Not sure about United I don't know a single thing about them.

The sign of the cross is a Catholic gesture...best thing to do is to ask the Bride what they would like or be comfortable with. This is a great honor good for you!
Old Jun 2, '11, 10:43 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
I think that what you say makes a lot of sense. We must remember that the apostles fell asleep when Jesus was spending more than 10 minutes in the garden saying his rambling prayers. He did that more than once and He even dared to chastise them for sleeping. What a protestant attitude He had!
It is true about protestant prayers. My uncle is Greek Orthodx turned protestant and insists on saying grace before every meal we have together. He literally drones on and on rambling about whatever pops into his head while the good gets cold. My grandpa even scolded him for bringing his protestant prayers into a Catholic house.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments