Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 8, '11, 4:12 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default The best Catholic apologist of our time?

I have heard many protestants think Dr. William Craig is the best apologist of our time. Whatever you may think about this it got me thinking about who is the best Catholic apologist of our time. (This is obviously about personal opinion)

This should include not only in apologetics with Protestants but also with non-Christians.

I can think of several great apologists such as:

Dr. Scott Hahn
Karl Keating (Dr?)
Jimmy Atkin (Dr?)
Patrick Madrid
and others...

So my question to you is who do you think is the best Catholic Apologist of our time? And who do you think is the Best Catholic apologist against atheists?
Old Jun 8, '11, 4:24 pm

Religion: Catolico
Talking Re: The best Catholic apologist of our time?

I don't know if he is the best apologist of all time but he is goood!!!.

His name is Micheal Voris he is the main guy of St. Micheal Media and he tells it like it is

and he is also very passionate about our faith.

If you guys haven't heard of him you guys can download his podcast in itunes .

God Bless
Old Jun 8, '11, 4:32 pm

Default Re: The best Catholic apologist of our time?

Dr. Scott Hahn get's my vote!! Amazing person, wonderful tapes and books.
Old Jun 8, '11, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy714 View Post
I don't know if he is the best apologist of all time but he is goood!!!.
His name is Micheal Voris he is the main guy of St. Micheal Media and he tells it like it is
and he is also very passionate about our faith.
If you guys haven't heard of him you guys can download his podcast in itunes .
God Bless
I like Micheal Vorris but I wouldnt say he is an Apologist, more a commentator. (Aka I dont see him getting into debates with non-Chrisitans)
Old Jun 8, '11, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron998 View Post
I have heard many protestants think Dr. William Craig is the best apologist of our time. Whatever you may think about this it got me thinking about who is the best Catholic apologist of our time. (This is obviously about personal opinion)

This should include not only in apologetics with Protestants but also with non-Christians.

Dr. Scott Hahn
Karl Keating (Dr?)
Jimmy Atkin (Dr?)
Patrick Madrid
and others...

So my question to you is who do you think is the best Catholic Apologist of our time? And who do you think is the Best Catholic apologist against atheists?
I think Scott Hahn would take the prize in this group.

Not that the others aren't good. But Scott knows the Bible, hands down, and he has better oral skills.
Old Jun 8, '11, 5:29 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

Scott Hahn is THE greatest Apologist of our time. I've heard him in discussions with non-Catholics and he talked circles around them. It was brilliant to hear. I do worry about his effectiveness though because he WAS going a bit over their heads (not deliberately I think).

PS: I wanted to add that I think Jimmy Akin might be a close second. When I gave up on Voris I started listening to some of Akin's stuff and so far I'm hugely impressed. He doesn't just know the Bible, he knows the GIRM quite well too!
Old Jun 8, '11, 5:35 pm
Banned

Father Robert Barron without a doubt. Hahn is great, Staples is great, and the rest of the names mentioned are good as well. I love them all and am happy to have them. However, Father Barron brings back the intellectual tradition of the Church in such a way that philosophy, theology, faith, and reason are all combined and we have not seen that in a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXneEvcyfW0
Old Jun 8, '11, 5:37 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
Father Robert Barron without a doubt. Hahn is great, Staples is great, and the rest of the names mentioned are good as well. I love them all and am happy to have them. However, Father Barron brings back the intellectual tradition of the Church in such a way that philosophy, theology, faith, and reason are all combined and we have not seen that in a long time.

Oh! Thanks for the link. I'm enjoying Akin but I wanted to find some more good apologists. I've heard pretty much everything of Hahn's that's free, and Kreeft and etc...
Old Jun 8, '11, 5:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybr38 View Post
Oh! Thanks for the link. I'm enjoying Akin but I wanted to find some more good apologists. I've heard pretty much everything of Hahn's that's free, and Kreeft and etc...
Fr. Barron has a ton of videos online and they are ALL excellent. I have spent hours and hours watching him. He has some where he goes back and forth with Dr. Hahn and they are also quite good.

Word on Fire's YouTube Channel

Word on Fire's Second YouTube Channel

I hope that you enjoy him!

Jason
Old Jun 8, '11, 6:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post

What I love about Fr. Barron is how he links Christianity to the present culture--not in an adversarial way, but in a way that is engaging and thought-provoking. Like St. Paul at Mars Hill? yes--very much like that.

We need to pray for his ministry, and for those like him who are preaching the gospel to this generation.....
Old Jun 8, '11, 6:47 pm

Religion: Traditional Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron998 View Post

Dr. Scott Hahn
Karl Keating (Dr?)
Jimmy Atkin (Dr?)
Patrick Madrid
and others...

Dr. Robert Sungenis has always been a great apologist - from the more traditional approach. Christopher Ferrara is also a great apologist, although his forum tends to be written and not as "public" as many expect public debates to be.

Dr. Hahn and Mr. Madrid have been pretty good in the past also.

I am not aware that Mr. Keating is still doing public debates these days.
Old Jun 8, '11, 7:54 pm

To be honest, I think we have yet to see one that particularly stands out, and that is not at all a put down to current Catholic apologists. It is, however, an observation that there is not an apologist among them that really addresses the issues of our time with intellectual sophistication. They may be whizzes with the issues of a generation ago, but not with the issues of today. Moreover, the efforts of Catholic apologists are not happening in serious venues such as in universities.

That being said, I like that this Catholic movement, if it is a movement at all, is not on the radar of most people.
Old Jun 8, '11, 8:24 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windfish View Post
To be honest, I think we have yet to see one that particularly stands out, and that is not at all a put down to current Catholic apologists. It is, however, an observation that there is not an apologist among them that really addresses the issues of our time with intellectual sophistication. They may be whizzes with the issues of a generation ago, but not with the issues of today. Moreover, the efforts of Catholic apologists are not happening in serious venues such as in universities.

That being said, I like that this Catholic movement, if it is a movement at all, is not on the radar of most people.
You really need to watch some of the videos from Father Barron. He addresses what he calls the "youtube heresies" with masterful intellectual sophistication. He is totally rooted in our time and addresses things in that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8YTre3xqXg

He is also close to releasing his massive undertaking called the "Catholocism Project" which is going to be incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wordonfi...27/yXz7CiIovJ8

He does critical reviews of new movies, books, articles, etc. that come out and comes at them from an interesting, and catholic, perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wordonfi...24/y1qDJxXuzLc

In addition, he hosts a TV show on WGN which actually does very well.

Check him out when you have a moment!

Peace,

Jason
Old Jun 8, '11, 8:37 pm

I know of Fr. Barron, and I like him a lot, but I consider more of cultural commentator rather than a rigorous apologist. I have no doubt that he could be a rigorous apologist if he wanted to, but what we need is a new Thomas Aquinas. Someone who will break down everything systematically and tear down the "other side" while building up ours.
Old Jun 8, '11, 9:21 pm

Dave Armstrong is pretty good. Patrick Madrid as well. Robert Sungenis (even though he has a different view about Pope John Paul II and Benedict XVI) is amazing as well.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics