Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Which is better, Star Wars or Star Trek?
Star Wars is obviously the better of the two 105 47.51%
Star Trek wins, no contest 99 44.80%
Neither are that interesting...get a life 17 7.69%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 1, '05, 5:21 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Star Wars Vs. Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee_eff_em
Deathstar destruction: Forget flying around little fighters, aiming at the big red vulnerable "push-here-to-destroy" button. Scotty punches coordinates into the transporter to place a photon torpedo surgical strike in the DS core.
But is thwarted by the planetary shield. Kirk beams down with an away-team to blow up the facility but is instantly spotted by biker Scouts and subsequently set upon and slaughtered by Stormtroopers

Quote:
Phasers vs Lightsabres: Okay, a lightsabre can be used to deflect blaster hits, but lets see one maintain deflection of a continuous phaser beam.
If it can deflect a packet of coherent energy that carries actual kinetic force, how is a little laser beam going to prove much of a challenge?

Quote:
Darth Vader: Transporter picks him up, and beams him back into deap space, widest possible dispersion. Transporter rocks, baby. (Face it: Star Wars has this great ""force"" that flows through everything, has the power to cloud men's minds, and strangle people at a distance. And they use it to make...swords!?)
*Admiral Piett*

"Shields up!"

End of problem.

Seriously, considering the fact that Boba Fett's dimunitive Slave I packs more firepower than the Enterprise E, any engagement between Star Wars and Star Trek forces would go down rather badly for the Feds, or the Klingons, or the Cardassians, or the Borg, or the Romulans, or especially the Jem Ha'dar, or....

"The word peace, for example, implies to a Muslim the extension of the Dar al-Islam -- or House of Islam -- to the entire world."

-Bassam Tibi, Gottingen University, Germany

Old Sep 1, '05, 12:34 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmvsimp
While it's an opinion that you say they're better, the market dictated that that is not the case. Those idiots at Fox have to go with the show that makes a profit, not with the better story line. This is capitalism, in case you didn't understand why they canceled it.
Ummm... no. Firefly was successful. Firefly had a huge fan base. Firefly made money. The Fox execs were morons. They failed to properly support the show from the moment they decided not to air the pilot. The show was too high concept for them to understand. It had universal appeal, and it got respectable ratings when you consider that it was constantly pre-empted for sports coverage and moved to different nights. If this show had network support, it would've survived and thrived. Remember that Fox cancelled Buffy after the first season only to see it go on to huge success on another network. Fox is run by idiots. The proof can be found in Firefly, Buffy, Futurama, Brimstone and a whole host of aborted projects that had a future (while really mind-numbing garbage like Millenium was allowed to run for five seasons in spite of constantly slipping ratings). When Serenity makes money at the box office (which is almost assured at this point), it will just be further proof that Firefly could've gone on to better things if given the chance.

Quote:
Are you kidding me? While most of us Star Wars fans enjoy the story lines, we LOVE the special effects.
You must be young. I don't know a single Star Wars fan who would agree with that statement.

Quote:
Yea, C3PO, Chewbaaka, R2D2, Yoda, they're all so human.
The stories were human, not the characters. That means the stories focused more on the characters and their growth than they did on the continually unfolding plot or the boring cultural examinations that are littered throughout Trek.

Quote:
City on the Edge of Forever, Spock's death, Tasha's death, Data's death: I cried for all of these. If you follow the series, I don't see how you can say these weren't emotional or human in any way.
I laughed when Data died. (sidenote, the actor who played Data is now a regular character on the new Battlestar Galactica series, also superior to Trek in every way) Didn't feel a thing for any of the others. When archetypes die, no one cares because they're not really great characters. Star Trek always kills off the archetypes. I haven't found too many real characters in Trek.

Quote:
The love and interaction between Anakin and the Princess belie your claim. And Lucas a lousy director? What are you talking about? He has produced some of the highest grossing films of all time. That shows that lots of people love to see his movies. They vote with their wallet. If you think he's lousy, it's clear that that is a small minority opinion.
You were obviously watching a different movie. Love between Anakin and Padme? All I saw was wooden acting and lazy directing (oh look, another shot of Padme staring out a window, like Peter Jackson didn't already kill this storytelling device in the first LOTR (which was still a good movie despite it's flaws)). Highest grossing films are not necessarily good. Case in point, Pearl Harbor which was one of the worst WWII movies ever made. Just because the maddening throng likes something doesn't make it genius. Think about how popular the Jerry Springer show is. Remember how many seasons Married With Children ran? Is anybody else amazed that Gone in 60 Seconds lasted more than one week in the theaters (worst chase scenes ever filmed)? The lowest common denominator wins in popular media. The prequel trilogy for Star Wars is an excellent example of this principle at work.

Quote:
I'll check out some of his stuff, but I have seen Buffy before. Now there's a show with lots of emotion and humanity. (NOT)
What Buffy had was humor. It wasn't afraid to mock itself (mercilessly). It was well-written (for teenage drama) and bitingly sarcastic. But not really typical of what you see in Firefly which is much more grown up (though the humor still tends towards Whedon's work in Toy Story). I'm so tired of stately boring sterile scifi (like Star Trek where space is always so clean, those uniforms are so stupid looking and nobody has blemishes on their face unless they're an alien or evil). Plastic, plastic, plastic. It's like Disneyland before it started to get run down (but just). The only good thing about Star Trek, was William Shatner, and that's just because he makes me laugh. There's never any dirt on the Enterprise. Doesn't anybody ever spill coffee in the future or have they fixed that somehow? It's like watching a bunch of robots. I couldn't really tell the difference between Data and Cpt. Pickard except for the hair. Nothing human about any of those characters... they were all too archetypical to get attached to, just hollow shells of personality and not real people.

In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"
Old Sep 1, '05, 1:33 pm

Star Trek Writer #1: You know what I'm really tired of?

Star Trek Writer #2: What's that?

STW1: I'm really tired of stories that take place in space or on other planets.

STW2: That really sucks seeing as you work on Star Trek.

STW1: Yeah, but I have a solution I think.

STW2: Get another job?

STW1: And actually have to be creative? Are you mad? You must be new here. I was just going to write a holodeck story. Maybe something that takes place in Elizabethan England or maybe Data could become Robin Hood.

STW2: You are so lazy. I can't believe you actually expect to get away with that.

STW1: This is Star Trek we're talking about. I doubt anyone will even notice. It's one of the perks of working here.

Old Sep 2, '05, 10:25 am

Religion: Lutheran

Both.
I like them both for different reasons.
Star Wars does have the stronger line of demarcation between good and evil- which I like-especially the original trilogy.
Some of the storylines on the Star Treks(all 5 of them, TO,TNG,
DS9,Voyager, and Enterprise)were very good,
Others I didn't like so much.
I do agree about secularism creeping in to the ST series-someitmes- more from TNG on rather that the original.
Old Sep 4, '05, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP
(oh look, another shot of Padme staring out a window, like Peter Jackson didn't already kill this storytelling device in the first LOTR)
What, like the kiss-and-fade-out has been killed? Like the Hero-riding-off-into-the-sunset?

There are certain filmic conventions that just work.

"The word peace, for example, implies to a Muslim the extension of the Dar al-Islam -- or House of Islam -- to the entire world."

Old Sep 5, '05, 6:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hospitaller
What, like the kiss-and-fade-out has been killed? Like the Hero-riding-off-into-the-sunset?

There are certain filmic conventions that just work.
Having a character stare off blankly into a window pane 6 times over the course of one film is not a filmic convention that works. It is not comparable to riding off into the sunset or the kiss and fade. It is lazy directing, plain and simple.

Old Sep 5, '05, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP
Having a character stare off blankly into a window pane 6 times over the course of one film is not a filmic convention that works.
When, exactly, did they do that?
Old Sep 5, '05, 1:37 pm

Let's see... throughout a large portion of the horrible third movie in the prequel. Seriously, which movie were you watching?

Old Sep 5, '05, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP
Let's see... throughout a large portion of the horrible third movie in the prequel. Seriously, which movie were you watching?
LotR. What are you talking about? AoTC?
Old Sep 8, '05, 6:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP
Having a character stare off blankly into a window pane 6 times over the course of one film is not a filmic convention that works. It is not comparable to riding off into the sunset or the kiss and fade. It is lazy directing, plain and simple.
One of the most successful movies of all time, but had a filmic convention that didn't work and had lazy directing.

While I know you're just expressing your opinion, us legions of Star Wars fans and the legions of fans that buy movie tickets and DVD's beg to differ.
Old Sep 8, '05, 3:10 pm

Send a message via AIM to wabrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP
(sidenote, the actor who played Data is now a regular character on the new Battlestar Galactica series, also superior to Trek in every way)
Brent Spiner isn't on Battlestar Galactica. Either way, that has got to be one of the best sci-fi shows on TV.
Old Sep 9, '05, 10:59 am

I particularly hate one quote from Star Wars Episode III

"Only a Sith speaks in absolutes." -Obi-Wan to newly named Darth Vader.

I thought God spoke in absolutes!

Not to mention the phrase "Only a Sith speaks in absolutes." is pretty absolute itself
Old Sep 9, '05, 11:33 am

Send a message via AIM to wabrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSearchOfGod
I particularly hate one quote from Star Wars Episode III

"Only a Sith speaks in absolutes." -Obi-Wan to newly named Darth Vader.

I thought God spoke in absolutes!

Not to mention the phrase "Only a Sith speaks in absolutes." is pretty absolute itself
I think it was more or less beuase Anakin insisted Obi-Wab join him or he was his enemy.
Old Sep 11, '05, 2:32 pm

You chaps might like to check out Star Destroyer.net for an amusing (and more or less realistic and rational) look at how well the Federation would fare against the Galactic Empire.

Old Sep 12, '05, 5:31 pm

According to my intellegent 12 year old son,

Star Wars is about good and evil, and Star Trek is about "us" and "them." So I think I have to say that Star Wars is better. But, I'm not saying SW-ROTS (Episode III) was too much compared to the other five anyway, I think it wasn't as good as the others. Also, although you see plenty of good STs, the percentage isn't as good as Star Wars'(5/6). So ST<SW. And SW=LOTR. It is SCIENTIFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was his opinion, now for mine.

I really like the Next Generation characters. "Data" just can't be beat, Brent Spiner is brilliant in that role. I loved the episode where he built himself a daughter. And many of the Next Generation episodes were so good, like "Time's Arrow" or the original Borg one. Another one of my favorites is Beverley's Bubble (I think it's officially called "Remember Me") and also time-space continum ruptures like the one where the Enterprise keeps blowing up. "The Inner Light" where Picard has a family had me in tears. And the one where Scotty returns to the future was touching, even though it was so sentimental. And any Star Trek that features Gene's Roddenberry's wife, as Deanna Troi's mother is usually hilarious. So, where Star Wars might lack in plot, it makes up for in an interesting array of quirky characters who get themselves in very strange situations. Many of the values presented in Star Trek are not, in my view, compatible with Christian values and those are the episodes I like the least. And I never liked Deep Space Nine, it's very dark.

Although the special effects are superior, Star Wars is incredibly violent. I don't think I'll ever see Episode Three for that reason. I think much of the plot is as superficial as Star Trek. I don't much care for how Anakin is born of a human mother, but Anakin's life allegedly begins at the will of the mitichlorian (or whatever that "may the force be with you" force energy is called). To me, that is a mockery of the Incarnation. But I still enjoy Star Wars immensely. I'm sorry to see it come to an end (although I didn't see the end).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media