Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 10, '11, 8:05 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish
Default St. Jude's Hospital and Marlo Thomas

It occurred to me that for many Catholics, the fact Marlo Thomas is the Outreach Director of St. Jude's Hospital might seem ironic or paradoxical. This great institution, founded by Marlo's father, Danny Thomas, is devoted to caring for children of all ethnic groups, at no expense to their families, in their battle with cancer, as well as conducting research into the causes and treatments for childhood cancers. However, the actress Marlo Thomas is known for her liberal stance as a pro-choice advocate of abortion, as well as being a proponent of gay marriage, and so on. I have contributed to this institution for many years and do share many of Thomas' liberal political beliefs. But I was wondering what some Catholics might think about her seemingly diametrically opposed positions regarding the lives of the unborn and the lives of (ill) children after birth.

I'm not sure whether this thread is in the right section. Moderator, please move it if necessary.
Old Jun 10, '11, 10:18 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: St. Jude's Hospital and Marlo Thomas

Although the hospital is named "St. Jude's" and probably has Catholic chaplains, I don't believe it is a "Catholic" institution, so there is no conflict there with Marlo Thomas' un-Catholic beliefs (abortion, gay marriage).

It is a good institution, and should stand on its own merits, not on the belief of Marlo Thomas.

In many ways, it is comparable to the Shriners (Masons) children's hospitals which many Catholics support for their outstanding dedication to children's care and health.
Old Jun 10, '11, 10:22 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
It . However, the actress Marlo Thomas is known for her liberal stance as a pro-choice advocate of abortion, as well as being a proponent of gay marriage, and so on. I .
so what?
if you want to support St Jude hospital do so on the merits of what the institution accomplishes and its programs, not on the basis of anyone else who supports it.
Old Jun 10, '11, 10:24 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
It occurred to me that for many Catholics, the fact Marlo Thomas is the Outreach Director of St. Jude's Hospital might seem ironic or paradoxical. This great institution, founded by Marlo's father, Danny Thomas, is devoted to caring for children of all ethnic groups, at no expense to their families, in their battle with cancer, as well as conducting research into the causes and treatments for childhood cancers. However, the actress Marlo Thomas is known for her liberal stance as a pro-choice advocate of abortion, as well as being a proponent of gay marriage, and so on. I have contributed to this institution for many years and do share many of Thomas' liberal political beliefs. But I was wondering what some Catholics might think about her seemingly diametrically opposed positions regarding the lives of the unborn and the lives of (ill) children after birth.

I'm not sure whether this thread is in the right section. Moderator, please move it if necessary.

If St. Jude's itself does not support abortion I would have no problem whatsoever contributing to them.

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Jun 10, '11, 10:42 am

Religion: Eastern Orthodox ~ Byzantine

I've been supporting St. Jude's Children's Hospital for decades - I do it from my heart for the children and NOT for Marlo Thomas.

I couldn't care less about her.

As a matter of fact, I do not even read the "letters" she sends to contributors.

Old Jan 28, '12, 8:01 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic

I was surprized by Marlo's values, however, our prayers for her could help her see--through God's grace--that she needs to change her values. It is not just her though we need to pray for but for all of those who would choose death over life.

What else can we who are faithful to the Church due? Pass on your faith through your actions and pray-pray-pray for our Pope and all religious.

May God bless those who read this. In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

https://sites.google.com/site/thechurchchristgavetous/I
Old Jan 29, '12, 8:54 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Danny Thomas was a Maronite Catholic who attended some R.C. school early in life. He was later confirmed as Roman Catholic. It was said that he promised St. Jude that if his career was successful he would open a shrine to St. Jude -- and so it became St. Jude's Children's hospital. He had a spiritual advisor who advised him to select Memphis as the place for St. Jude's Children's hospital. He was a religious man and was made a Knight in the Order of the Holy Sepulchre by Pope Paul VI. He opened the hospital in 1962.

Prior to 1973, Tennesse outlawed abortions in all cases. I think the idea that we would have legalized abortion never occured to Danny Thomas, but that was not the purpose of the hospital.

The Hospital was set up to help to help children who were born with or later contracted disease.

I think if they will take any child regardless of insurance, Margo's present views are irrelevant on abortion or gay marriage since the mission of the hospital is as Danny Thomas intended.
-- Douay Rheims, Jeremiah 29:11

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence