Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 11, '11, 7:12 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic, LM
Default Re: Hooting, hollering, and whistling in church

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGC View Post
I cringe even when a few parishioners at my church clap for the choir after the recessional - even after an admittedly beautiful offering of music during Mass. So I can't imagine how I would've felt in your shoes.

We seem to have ever growing reasons to divert attention away from Christ and place it on individuals and their accomplishments. It's important to have this acknowledgment, but during Mass is highly inappropriate IMO. It's bad enough when it comes direct from a few parishioners; but when priests initiate and encourage it, it is even worse. Happens all the time in my parish. I actually have made apologies to Christ on behalf of this activity when it happens. Silly?

I imagine this does not happen at traditional Masses. Never been to one.

Funny thing is that I'm just a 4-year convert, and I witness this stuff happening with cradle Catholics - the last ones I'd expect. I figured it would come from folks like me, who converted from happy feel-good sects of Christianity. Nope. Seems like the converts are the ones calling for more reverence. Ironic.
It has never happened at my church... FSSP... and I am very very thankful for that! You might want to "convert" again... Traditional Latin Mass....
Old Jun 11, '11, 7:15 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha7 View Post
It has never happened at my church... FSSP... and I am very very thankful for that! You might want to "convert" again... Traditional Latin Mass....
I think about that frequently.
Old Jun 11, '11, 7:20 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic, LM
Smile Re: Hooting, hollering, and whistling in church

Quote:
I think about that frequently.
I became Catholic in 1999. Wonderful... but never could find the Church I had been longing for my whole life until 2010 when I attended the Traditional Latin Mass. I have never been happier!
Old Jun 11, '11, 7:53 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Tonight, the 2nd reader did her reading, then added something that sounded a lot like the lyrics to a John Michael Talbot song. I was shocked. At first I wondered if she thought we hadn't already done the Psalm and was going to ask us to speak the refrain, but she just plowed on through it, said, "Allelujah" and "Amen" at the end. I did not reply, but I heard some "Amens" in the audience.

Then after the homily, people clapped. For a while, some people clapped after *every* homily our Pastor did. I think the crusty looks they got for starting it may have inhibited them, they rarely do it now, even though the Pastor always says, "Thanks for listening and God bless" at the end of his homily, which gives me the feeling he is searching for applause.

again.

I'm about fed up with this church.
Old Jun 12, '11, 8:37 am

Quote:
I imagine this does not happen at traditional Masses. Never been to one.
When Louis XVI was crowned King of France, the doors of the cathedral were thrown open, the crowds poured in shouting "vivat Rex" while doves were released inside the cathedral.
Old Jun 12, '11, 9:09 am

Religion: Amateur Catholic

Quote:
Are they really applauding God's grace in the accomplishments of others? In an indirect way, perhaps. But even if it is done with full and sole focus on God's sovereignty and glory, it seems inappropriate to clap about it. If people must do this during Mass, can they not come up with some other less-disruptive way to acknowledge God's grace in others? Why the ruckus? Why the noise? If we're applauding God, does he need to have us make physical noise to realize we are doing so?
No, God doesn't need anything.

People in the West applaud to show they are appreciative of something. Other cultures drum the table, or stomp their feet, or snap their fingers, or pat their leg.

Seems you have two choices in regards to applause after Mass: Get everyone to stop it, or learn to live with it.

Who wants to see God? Cry to the Lord with an intensely yearning heart and you will certainly see Him. People shed jugs of tears for money, wife, and children. But if they would weep for God for only one day they would surely see Him.
Old Jun 12, '11, 9:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
No, it was the Ordination to the Priesthood. C'mon! We don't start hooting and hollering during the PGA tournament. We give a lame "golf clap". There's no excuse to hoot, holler, and whistle at such a solemn event.
Priestly ordination is such a wonderful event which proclaims that the gates of hell shall not prevail against the Church, and we like to complain about the resulting "hooting, hollering, and whistling"?

Who wants to see God? Cry to the Lord with an intensely yearning heart and you will certainly see Him. People shed jugs of tears for money, wife, and children. But if they would weep for God for only one day they would surely see Him.
Old Jun 12, '11, 9:19 am

From a blog:

Priestly Ordination at Hartford, Connecticut

published 18 May 2011 by Dr. Ronda Chervin

I have mentioned before that I have trouble with ceremonies, especially longer ones, but Ordinations are different. The first one I saw was in 1960. I was on a tour in Switzerland and going to daily Mass as usual came upon an ordination. Being a convert made it even more stunning.

After teaching at the seminary in Los Angeles, it was different. I actually knew these men. Some of these heroes I had helped pray through their worst moments of doubt about their vocations. The first time it was my late vocation seminarians being ordained I stood in the parking lot tears in my eyes pledging that because these wonderful holy men had gotten through the gauntlet of seminary I would never complain again in my whole life. Well, of course, I didn’t live up to my pledge but, to my joy, coming back to Los Angeles years later, I found those heroes were now the priestly pillars of the archdiocese. They kept their pledge.

Now, when I go to an ordination of seminarians from Holy Apostles, where I teach, I always murmur the same words as I see the throngs of lay people taking their seats and the long procession of bishops, priests, about to be ordained, and seminarians coming up the aisle to the loud organ music and choir. The words I murmur as, 'AND THE GATES OF HELL SHALL NOT PREVAIL.’

The seminarian who invited me was a medical researcher born in South Africa, a huge black man, who migrated to the US and then to our seminary, primarily, for late vocations. The choir learned a song in African for part of the ceremony. There were also 2 songs in Spanish for the hispanic ordinand. Most of the music, however, was traditional chant, some in Latin.

The traditional ceremonial of such extraordinary supernatural meaning, reminded me, however, of something else I love: surprise. I recalled a Mass in Corpus Christi, Texas, for the ordination of Society of Our Lady of the Trinity priests. The vocations director, Fr. Tony Anderson, a thin man in his 40’s, was in the customary line up of all the priests who greet each newly ordained with a hug of peace. One of those just ordained was a large, large, man about 6’4” weighing no one could imagine how much. When Fr. Tony was in High School he was a wrestling champ. But, of course, this was the last thing on anyone’s mind until suddenly at the hug of peace we saw the huge newly ordained priest lifted up into the air into a horizontal position by our thin priest. It was too quick for anyone to clap, but I clapped in my heart because

reverential tradition is magnificent
but
the freedom of the Spirit in surprise is also…delightful!

[http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2011...d-connecticut/]

Old Jun 12, '11, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMc View Post
If I were there, I would instantly drop to my knees in reparation.
Why see sin where there is no sin?

Old Jun 12, '11, 9:38 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
Tonight, the 2nd reader did her reading, then added something that sounded a lot like the lyrics to a John Michael Talbot song. I was shocked. At first I wondered if she thought we hadn't already done the Psalm and was going to ask us to speak the refrain, but she just plowed on through it, said, "Allelujah" and "Amen" at the end. I did not reply, but I heard some "Amens" in the audience.

Then after the homily, people clapped. For a while, some people clapped after *every* homily our Pastor did. I think the crusty looks they got for starting it may have inhibited them, they rarely do it now, even though the Pastor always says, "Thanks for listening and God bless" at the end of his homily, which gives me the feeling he is searching for applause.

again.

I'm about fed up with this church.

I am a proclaimer in my parish. We are specifically instructed not to change, add, or remove any of the words of the reading. We are proclaiming the word of God there is nothing that we need or can add to it to "improve" it. I hope someone spoke to her about how inappropriate that was.

After one homily the congregation appluaded, it was spontaneous and in agreement with what he was saying. I'm not saying it was appropriate. Our priest turned to us and told us "your not suppose to applaud the homily."
Old Jun 12, '11, 9:58 am

At an Ordination, clapping is the liturgically correct way (mentioned in the Rite itself) for the congregation to express it’s assent to the Bishop’s decision to call a man to Sacred Orders.

Old Jun 12, '11, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davina100 View Post
I am a proclaimer in my parish. We are specifically instructed not to change, add, or remove any of the words of the reading. We are proclaiming the word of God there is nothing that we need or can add to it to "improve" it. I hope someone spoke to her about how inappropriate that was.

After one homily the congregation appluaded, it was spontaneous and in agreement with what he was saying. I'm not saying it was appropriate. Our priest turned to us and told us "your not suppose to applaud the homily."
I saw this reader (Proclaimer?) take the book up to the lectern minutes before the Mass and thought "That's a bit odd, it's usually already up there by now." I wonder if she put her text in it at that point rather than walk up with a piece of paper in her hand. I thought about saying something after the Mass but I decided to leave it to the people in charge of the Liturgy - I think they can handle it. It was a person I had never seen before, and probably won't again.

As for the applause, I think our Pastor enjoys it. He's a bit of a showboater and likes to go on and on, sometimes up to 45 minutes and no, I am NOT kidding!
Old Jun 12, '11, 10:22 am
Prayer Warrior

There was great applause today in church following the Baptism of a baby girl. I believe the people experienced a great uplifting of their hearts and souls, especially because we've had more funerals than Baptisms in the last year or more. A new blessed soul added to the parish roll.

If we were to celebrate the ordination of a new priest, I think we would blow the roof off the church with our applause.
Old Jun 12, '11, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
I saw this reader (Proclaimer?) take the book up to the lectern minutes before the Mass and thought "That's a bit odd, it's usually already up there by now." I wonder if she put her text in it at that point rather than walk up with a piece of paper in her hand. I thought about saying something after the Mass but I decided to leave it to the people in charge of the Liturgy - I think they can handle it. It was a person I had never seen before, and probably won't again.

As for the applause, I think our Pastor enjoys it. He's a bit of a showboater and likes to go on and on, sometimes up to 45 minutes and no, I am NOT kidding!
Wow. How terrible.
Old Jun 12, '11, 6:30 pm

sometimes up to 45 minutes and no

Smile come to St. Theresa of Avila (Baltimore/Washington), or St. Brigid, Los Angeles,45 minutes? Ta'nt nuthin'! How's 1/2 - 2 hours. But then we are there to worship, not to watch the clock eh?
While I weren't there, don't recall hearing anyone walk outta Yeshua when He gave the sermon on the Mount, or preached on the Temple steps, or on the boat, or in the synagogue, eh? (But in reality, each to his/her own liturgy. Some folks even go to the local Catholic hosptials' chapels, where the liturgy is almost a guaranteed 1/2 hour, since the docs and nurses gotta get back.
Pax Christi!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments