Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 13, '11, 8:28 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Can a Catholic sing at a Protestant service?

This weekend, I'm going with my immediate family to visit my grandmother in another state. My family members are are all Evangelical Protestant. This will be my first visit to my grandmother's house since becoming a Catholic. In the past, we have always attended my grandma's church while there. I love the people at that church and have known them ever since I can remember. For that reason, I am planning on attending the Sunday morning service with my family so that I can see some of our old friends at that church. (I do plan on making sure that I also attend a Sunday Mass at some point while I'm there, probably on Saturday evening.)

The problem is this: The service at my Grandma's church this Sunday will be all music, since they don't have a pastor right now. Our family has been asked to sing a "special music" number in the service. I always sang with my family in the past, but now I wonder if this is okay, since I am a Catholic now. What do you think? I hate "rocking the boat" with my family, but I also want to do what is right.
Old Jun 13, '11, 8:33 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic
Default Re: Can a Catholic sing at a Protestant service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishTeacher View Post
This weekend, I'm going with my immediate family to visit my grandmother in another state. My family members are are all Evangelical Protestant. This will be my first visit to my grandmother's house since becoming a Catholic. In the past, we have always attended my grandma's church while there. I love the people at that church and have known them ever since I can remember. For that reason, I am planning on attending the Sunday morning service with my family so that I can see some of our old friends at that church. (I do plan on making sure that I also attend a Sunday Mass at some point while I'm there, probably on Saturday evening.)

The problem is this: The service at my Grandma's church this Sunday will be all music, since they don't have a pastor right now. Our family has been asked to sing a "special music" number in the service. I always sang with my family in the past, but now I wonder if this is okay, since I am a Catholic now. What do you think? I hate "rocking the boat" with my family, but I also want to do what is right.
Well, if it is not okay, then I am in trouble, because I have no intention of leaving the awesome Protestant choir I sing with once a month.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Jun 13, '11, 9:16 am
Banned

Religion: classical Anglican

There are lots of Catholic musicians who sing in Protestant churches for pay. And a good Catholic friend of mine was the president of the chapel choir at our Anglican college. Her priest said it was fine as long as she didn't receive communion and got to Mass as well.

Actually, that's where she learned to appreciate serious religious music.
Old Jun 13, '11, 9:37 am

Quote:

Protestant services are essentially prayer services, prayer is always good. The only thing you are restricted from is participating in any sort of communion service they might have. They are not allowed to receive Holy Communion in a RC church and we are not allowed to participate in their "Lord's Supper" or however that denomination refers to it - if they have one. The only non-Catholic Eucharist/Holy Communion you may participate in is an Orthodox service (with the permission of both bishops)

St. Padre Pio, pray for us!
Old Jun 13, '11, 9:45 am
Prayer Warrior

Dear Friend,

We are all praising and worship our God. God also need us to praise Him. Look like there isn't a Catholic Church nearby that area.

Quote:

Old Jun 13, '11, 10:35 am

I sing at my husband's church when I attend w/ him. I love singing! Praising God is praising God.
Old Jun 13, '11, 11:08 am

Thanks for the replies; I feel better about it now. I'll just sing with them at the service, and make sure to go to Mass also sometime that weekend.
Old Jun 13, '11, 5:03 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

And what if you are asked to sing something heretical? What if your song selection extols the virtues of sola fide, sola scriptura, or 'once saved, always saved'?

Will you refuse to sing? Go along with it and make a confession later? Not worry about it, because you're only mouthing the words?
Old Jun 13, '11, 5:11 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizium23 View Post
And what if you are asked to sing something heretical? What if your song selection extols the virtues of sola fide, sola scriptura, or 'once saved, always saved'?

Will you refuse to sing? Go along with it and make a confession later? Not worry about it, because you're only mouthing the words?
I haven't seen any situation where I would need to mouth words or confess (if I were Catholic).

Do you have an example of a song?

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Jun 13, '11, 5:30 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
I haven't seen any situation where I would need to mouth words or confess (if I were Catholic).

Do you have an example of a song?
How about "Gather Us In"? Or maybe "Sing A New Church"?
Old Jun 13, '11, 5:33 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
How about "Gather Us In"? Or maybe "Sing A New Church"?
Aren't those Catholic hymns?

In our choir we sing everything from Latin polyphonic music to beautiful Protestant hymns.

I haven't yet sung anything I could not sing because it would be considered heresy.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Jun 13, '11, 5:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
Aren't those Catholic hymns?
Hmm
Old Jun 13, '11, 5:51 pm
Veteran Member

Oh my goodness. I just heard "Sing a New Church" for the first time.

I've heard this music, but sung to "Come Thou Fount of Ever Blessing", which is set to the folk tune, Nettleton.

I would sing "Come Thou Fount" with no guilt.

Quote:
Come, thou Fount of every blessing,
tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
mount of thy redeeming love.

2. Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger,
interposed his precious blood.

3. O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Jun 13, '11, 6:07 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

Hymns that Teach Justification by Faith Alone

Believing: Sola Fide
Old Jun 13, '11, 6:16 pm
Banned

I don't know - given that the Catholic Church accepts the Lutheran Confessions description of justification as being an authentic Catholic understanding, some of these might be ok, at least that aspect of them.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments