Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 25, '05, 9:12 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question Devotion to the "Two Divine Promises" and assurance of salvation?

I was scoping out a parish near my office for this summer and when waiting for confession, I was checking out a bunch of pamphlets that were for the taking. The first one I noticed was "Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth" from Catholic Answers so I knew this was a good parish (it was the first time I had seem a CA tract in person). Then I picked up a copy of this little booklet by a Fr. Roman Hoppe called "The Two Divine Promises" published by TAN. There is no imprimatur.

The promise for lay people (the other is for priests) is to receive communion worthily for 30 consecutive days as well as saying an Our Father and a Hail Mary for the well-being of the Church. If you do this, you receive assurance of salvation for yourself and someone of your choosing. These promises seem to be based on visions of Christ from Srs. Faustina, Josefa, and Benigna.

Has anyone heard of this? I mean, I think it's clearly heretical. The author of the booklet says the private devotion is ok in this case just as it was concerning Lourdes and Fatima before they were officially approved.
Old Aug 1, '05, 5:11 pm
Resigned

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Devotion to the "Two Divine Promises" and assurance of salvation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis315
I was scoping out a parish near my office for this summer and when waiting for confession, I was checking out a bunch of pamphlets that were for the taking. The first one I noticed was "Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth" from Catholic Answers so I knew this was a good parish (it was the first time I had seem a CA tract in person). Then I picked up a copy of this little booklet by a Fr. Roman Hoppe called "The Two Divine Promises" published by TAN. There is no imprimatur.

The promise for lay people (the other is for priests) is to receive communion worthily for 30 consecutive days as well as saying an Our Father and a Hail Mary for the well-being of the Church. If you do this, you receive assurance of salvation for yourself and someone of your choosing. These promises seem to be based on visions of Christ from Srs. Faustina, Josefa, and Benigna.

Has anyone heard of this? I mean, I think it's clearly heretical. The author of the booklet says the private devotion is ok in this case just as it was concerning Lourdes and Fatima before they were officially approved.

Hmmm Genesis315; this is a little obscure. I've never heard of it but am interested in finding out more as well.
Old Aug 1, '05, 5:16 pm

Well, it depends on what they mean by assurance. If they mean moral assurance, I see no problem. If they mean absolute assurance, there is trouble. I would need context to determine.

Scott
Old Aug 1, '05, 5:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Waddell
Well, it depends on what they mean by assurance. If they mean moral assurance, I see no problem. If they mean absolute assurance, there is trouble. I would need context to determine.

Scott
From what I get from reading it, it's absolute. Especially given the fact that you can get assurance for ANYONE else you want, no matter what kind of person they are.
Old Aug 1, '05, 10:05 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

You can never be assured of your salvation. But you can be very confident. Presumption is a sin.

Predestination from birth or devotions is not endorsed by the Church as far as I know.
However I pray the rosary each day ( sometimes I slack off ) , wear a brown scapular etc as there are similiar promises attached to these.
The children at Fatima were told they would go to Heaven by Mary. But instances like these are very rare.
The way I look at it is that if you do these devotions without being presumptuous or superstitious you will most likely go to Heaven anyway.
But like I say I practise some of these devotions myself and encourage others to do so.
If I am mistaken someone please correct me.
May the Blessed Trinity and Blessed Mother along with all the Hosts of Blessed Spirits and Saints and Sublime Martyrs bless you all and the whole church and world and complete the conversion of Russia quickly and give us world peace +++. We are at the end. Bless you +++ I am John

Old Jan 17, '12, 9:50 am
Observing Member

This devotion is found on page 12 in the book Prayers and Heavenly Promises, by Joan Carroll Cruz. That book contains many other devotions familiar to Catholics like “The Nine First Fridays” and “The Five First Saturdays of Reparation”, both of which also have promises attached to them.

“Prayers and Heavenly Promises” (copyright by the author in 1990 is available from TAN Books and Publishers Inc.) states the following inside its front cover:

--------------------------

Nihil Obstat: Rev. Terry Tekippe, Censor Librorum

Imprimatur: + Most Rev. Francis B. Schulte, Archbishop of New Orleans, December 29, 1989

The Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur are the Church’s declarations that a work is free from error in matters of faith and morals and in no way implies that the Church agrees with the contents of the book. Nothing in this book should be read as implying that if a certain prayer is performed in a particular manner, a certain result will occur. The promises referred to in the work should be looked upon as manifestations of divine generosity and as encouragement to an even more devout life.

The Two Divine Promises

PROMISE: "Each priest who worthily offers the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass for 30 consecutive days and, in addition, makes the Stations of the Cross daily, will receive for himself, and another soul selected by him, the assurance of eternal salvation."

PROMISE: "Likewise, each individual who will receive Holy Communion worthily for 30 consecutive days, and will recite one Our Father and Hail Mary for the welfare of the Holy Catholic Church, will receive for himself and one other soul selected by him, the assurance of eternal salvation."

Words of Our Lord to a Polish soul.

A more detailed explanation of these promises can be found in the book, The Two Divine Promises, by Fr. Roman Hoppe (copyright by the author in 1987 and available from TAN Books and Publishers Inc.).
Old Jan 18, '12, 7:00 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&...7Mqo6edaUeQBLQ

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&...iDiiXxb2k9CBZg
even though the second link discredits them i have to admit i do the 30 days for different people but i have no idea if true or not, i just offer up the communion for the 30 days and leave it in the hands of God
Old Jan 18, '12, 7:41 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I do the First Saturday Devotions, as it was asked for by the Blessed Mother herself.
The key to this promise is the Graces nessecary for salvation. Not a definite promise of salvation, but aid in the hour of your death. She promised "Final Perserverance". This is a very popular devotion done for reparition of the Immaculate Heart. It has power to help you achieve salvation, but, again, don't be presumptuous.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathCanadian View Post
The Two Divine Promises

PROMISE: "Each priest who worthily offers the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass for 30 consecutive days and, in addition, makes the Stations of the Cross daily, will receive for himself, and another soul selected by him, the assurance of eternal salvation."

PROMISE: "Likewise, each individual who will receive Holy Communion worthily for 30 consecutive days, and will recite one Our Father and Hail Mary for the welfare of the Holy Catholic Church, will receive for himself and one other soul selected by him, the assurance of eternal salvation."

Words of Our Lord to a Polish soul.

A more detailed explanation of these promises can be found in the book, The Two Divine Promises, by Fr. Roman Hoppe (copyright by the author in 1987 and available from TAN Books and Publishers Inc.).
I think I know the answer, but can some help with the devotion for 30 consecutive days for these two promises? I began this devotion on Ash Wednesday. I have mapped out the souls, living and diseased that I plan on remembering. I have completed my first devotion, yet of course on Good Friday, there was no mass. While I attended the Communion Service and reflection of our Lord’s agony on Friday, it was not a Mass. Then on Holy Saturday, there was no Mass, but I did attend the East Vigil service on Saturday. Of course, I also attended Mass on Easter morning.

Since this is a private revelation, not certain where to turn except to my priests. Any suggestions if my attempts to satisfy promises have been fulfilled for the activity over Easter? I also conclude that if a priest is supposed to pray the stations of the cross for these same 30 days, as I am in Church, why can't I do the same? Of course, I do as I offer it for the soul that I am praying for as well as the souls in purgatory.
Old Apr 10, '12, 3:33 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

in situations like that i just start the devotion again.also again the promise should read the Graces nessecary for salvation. so i would reflect on this while doing this devotion. an offer it up as such
Old Apr 10, '12, 11:25 pm
Observing Member

Dear Wildkit,

The promise doesn't stipulate receiving of Holy Communion only during Mass. Instead it says, "each individual who will receive Holy Communion worthily for 30 consecutive days" as, for example, an ill or bedriddent person who can't attend Mass but still is brought Holy Communion. Isn't that just so merciful - that suffering souls who can't regularly attend Mass can still fully participate in this blessed devotion. Hope this helps...
Old Apr 11, '12, 1:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildkit View Post
I think I know the answer, but can some help with the devotion for 30 consecutive days for these two promises? I began this devotion on Ash Wednesday. I have mapped out the souls, living and diseased that I plan on remembering. I have completed my first devotion, yet of course on Good Friday, there was no mass. While I attended the Communion Service and reflection of our Lord’s agony on Friday, it was not a Mass. Then on Holy Saturday, there was no Mass, but I did attend the East Vigil service on Saturday. Of course, I also attended Mass on Easter morning.

Since this is a private revelation, not certain where to turn except to my priests. Any suggestions if my attempts to satisfy promises have been fulfilled for the activity over Easter? I also conclude that if a priest is supposed to pray the stations of the cross for these same 30 days, as I am in Church, why can't I do the same? Of course, I do as I offer it for the soul that I am praying for as well as the souls in purgatory.
I believe the requirement is to RECEIVE COMMMUNION not attend Mass. I started this devotion last Summer with VERY interesting results!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality