Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jun 23, '11, 6:19 pm
T More T More is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: December 5, 2009
Posts: 757
Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Default "Contemporary" Mass?

When a parish says they offer a Traditional Mass and "Contemporary" one, what does "Contemporary" mean? Is it simply a matter of more modern hymns/music?
  #2  
Old Jun 23, '11, 7:28 pm
Aelred Minor's Avatar
Aelred Minor Aelred Minor is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 2, 2011
Posts: 4,254
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T More View Post
Is it simply a matter of more modern hymns/music?
That is what I would assume.
__________________
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
  #3  
Old Jun 23, '11, 8:05 pm
DElias DElias is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 21, 2011
Posts: 80
Religion: Baptist
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T More View Post
When a parish says they offer a Traditional Mass and "Contemporary" one, what does "Contemporary" mean? Is it simply a matter of more modern hymns/music?
That pretty much sums it up.
  #4  
Old Jun 23, '11, 8:56 pm
corsair's Avatar
corsair corsair is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 5, 2009
Posts: 2,653
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

I read that differently. A traditional Mass is normally referred to as the Extraordinary Form or EF while a contempoary Mass would be the Ordinary Form or OF. The OF is only 40+ years old while the EF goes back hundreds of years.

I suppose one could limit the definition to the music end of it only but the prayers between the two forms are very different.

Just my observation.
  #5  
Old Jun 23, '11, 9:01 pm
TrueLight's Avatar
TrueLight TrueLight is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: March 5, 2011
Posts: 9,954
Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

I have a feeling a "contemporary" mass is going to be closer to a Protestant service.
__________________


HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
  #6  
Old Jun 23, '11, 9:21 pm
Monica4316's Avatar
Monica4316 Monica4316 is offline
Senior Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 8, 2008
Posts: 7,930
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

I think, either they mean that one Mass is the TLM and another is the NO, or they mean that both are the NO but one has traditional music, and the other contemporary.....
__________________
"I no longer have a heart, I gave it to Jesus' Mom" St Gemma

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
  #7  
Old Jun 24, '11, 4:09 pm
ProVobis ProVobis is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: January 26, 2008
Posts: 27,666
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T More View Post
When a parish says they offer a Traditional Mass and "Contemporary" one, what does "Contemporary" mean? Is it simply a matter of more modern hymns/music?
I would think it's the English OF. I'm surprised the bishop would allow this kind of sign in front of one of his churches, if there is such a sign.
  #8  
Old Jun 24, '11, 10:20 pm
T More T More is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: December 5, 2009
Posts: 757
Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
I would think it's the English OF. I'm surprised the bishop would allow this kind of sign in front of one of his churches, if there is such a sign.

No, there isn't any sign. It's mentioned in the parish bulletin.


There isn't a High Mass offered, so when it says Traditional and Ordinary, they are both Novus Ordo.
  #9  
Old Jun 24, '11, 10:58 pm
TemplarJPN's Avatar
TemplarJPN TemplarJPN is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: June 16, 2011
Posts: 23
Religion: Roman Catholic (Traditonalist)
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
I have a feeling a "contemporary" mass is going to be closer to a Protestant service.

Sounds horrible. I coverted to Catholicism to get away from Protestant style services..Thank God my parish uses an organ and sings traditional hymns..

Pax Christi

TemplarJPN
  #10  
Old Jun 25, '11, 1:07 pm
ProVobis ProVobis is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: January 26, 2008
Posts: 27,666
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemplarJPN View Post
Sounds horrible. I coverted to Catholicism to get away from Protestant style services..Thank God my parish uses an organ and sings traditional hymns..

Pax Christi

TemplarJPN
But I've been to quite a few organ recitals where they even sing traditional hymns in Protestant churches. From what I saw, I can't even say they were irreverent.
  #11  
Old Jun 25, '11, 1:20 pm
ProVobis ProVobis is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: January 26, 2008
Posts: 27,666
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T More View Post
No, there isn't any sign. It's mentioned in the parish bulletin.

There isn't a High Mass offered, so when it says Traditional and Ordinary, they are both Novus Ordo.
A Traditional Novus Ordo?
  #12  
Old Jun 25, '11, 2:40 pm
TrueLight's Avatar
TrueLight TrueLight is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: March 5, 2011
Posts: 9,954
Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

Here is an example of a contemporary Catholic mass.

If you look carefully, you will see clapping, drums, guitars etc.

I think a contemporary mass is likely to be charasmatic; therefore, close to some of the Protestant services I am used to.
__________________


HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
  #13  
Old Jun 25, '11, 3:58 pm
laszlo laszlo is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 1, 2010
Posts: 2,511
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair View Post
I read that differently. A traditional Mass is normally referred to as the Extraordinary Form or EF while a contempoary Mass would be the Ordinary Form or OF. The OF is only 40+ years old while the EF goes back hundreds of years.
The full truth is that the age difference between the 1962 and 1970 Mass is only eight years, and the definite and required difference between the two is only:

- omission of psalm 42
- change in the lectionary
- change in the offertory prayer
- acclamation after the consecration
- modified communion and conclusion rite

The new form can be celebrated in traditional way, and many people would not sense the difference from the previous form.
  #14  
Old Jun 25, '11, 10:35 pm
TemplarJPN's Avatar
TemplarJPN TemplarJPN is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: June 16, 2011
Posts: 23
Religion: Roman Catholic (Traditonalist)
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlo View Post
The full truth is that the age difference between the 1962 and 1970 Mass is only eight years, and the definite and required difference between the two is only:

- omission of psalm 42
- change in the lectionary
- change in the offertory prayer
- acclamation after the consecration
- modified communion and conclusion rite

The new form can be celebrated in traditional way, and many people would not sense the difference from the previous form.

I stand corrected..

TemplarJPN
  #15  
Old Jun 26, '11, 5:56 am
Love Divine Love Divine is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 21, 2010
Posts: 632
Religion: Conservative Catholic
Default Re: "Contemporary" Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
Here is an example of a contemporary Catholic mass.

If you look carefully, you will see clapping, drums, guitars etc.

I think a contemporary mass is likely to be charasmatic; therefore, close to some of the Protestant services I am used to.
Bleh! Did you read the captions in that video? The only thing that looks Catholic in this Mass is the actual Mass part. It just screams "Wannabe Protestants, but, gosh darnit, we still have this Mass part we have to fit in somewhere."

I think that Mass should have a "Danger Warning" sign out front warning Catholics not to enter.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8303Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Inariga
5069CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4352Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: Marla Frances
4035OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3852SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3612Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3264Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3210Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3195Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3067For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 2:59 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.