Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 26, '11, 11:51 am

Religion: Catholic
Default What version of the Bible do Catholics use?

What the title says. Thanks.
Old Jun 26, '11, 12:41 pm

Default Re: What version of the Bible do Catholics use?

I have more than one version, but I use the NAB (New American Bible) most of the time. Here's a helpful link: http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/index.shtml
Old Jun 26, '11, 12:55 pm

I have the Orthodox Study Bible And an NKJV 66 book Protestant one. I'll probably buy the Ignatius Press if I ever feel the need for a Catholic edition
Old Jun 26, '11, 1:02 pm
Banned

Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition for me. When the new Orthodox translation of the Septuigant is finished, I will likely pick one of those up but I am pretty happy overall with the RSV2CE.
Old Jun 26, '11, 1:06 pm

My wife likes the Ignatius Bible, while I use the Douay Rheims. both, by the way, are Catholic Bibles.
Old Jun 26, '11, 1:07 pm

Religion: Orthodox catechumen

The answer to that depends on what mood I'm in. I like the Douay-Rheims, the New Jerusalem, the RSV, the NAB, the old Clementine Vulgate and the Nova Vulgata.

For the Psalms, I like the New Jerusalem. To prepare for Mass, I like the NAB. For the Gospels, I like the RSV. For everything generally (as a nice one-version Bible), I like the Douay-Rheims. I have recently received both a copy of the Clementina and Nova Vulgata. The Clementine is very poetic and beautiful (can't use it much because not many people know Latin, and I think the antiquated language of the Douay is a barrier to many), but the accuracy of the Nova Vulgata to the Greek impresses me. It isn't a bad translation on its own, either, well, except for the grammatical errors. My copy also has some limited footnotes.
Old Jun 26, '11, 1:23 pm

Here's a partial answer.

There is no one version all Catholics use.

Those who know the original languages of course might read it in the original. Those who know Latin might read the Vulgate.

As far as English translations, some prefer the old Douay-Rheims Bible, which is written in a mixed Tudor/Stewart English much like the King James Bible.

A more modern translation many English speaking Catholics like is the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSV-CE), a revision of a Protestant version (roots going back to the King James) containing all the books of the Catholic Bible and some changes, some to correct bad theology that crept into the original RSV, others simply language changes presumably made for readability. I believe the RSV-CE is the version used in Great Britain and probably many other English-speaking countries in the liturgy, and English translations of Vatican documents usually is it for Scripture quotations.

There's actually a first and second edition of the RSV-CE following a second round of Catholic revision, and also the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible, which is the RSV-CE (Second Edition) with commentary by the likes of Scott Hahn. I have heard some very good things about it, and plan on buying one soon.

In the United States, the bishops have produced the New American Bible, on which our lectionary is based. Some Catholics have been critical about parts of this translation, including the rather banal translation of the much beloved Pslam 23, and especially critical of some of the introductions to the various books and footnotes found in the volume, which may assert certain questionable scholarly opinions with too much confidence and even might seem like they were written by a non-believer, though the translation and supplemental material have received all sorts of imprimaturs. A new edition of the NAB just came out, making a few changes that some people were critical of. For example, they changed the word "holocaust" to "burnt offering."

A third English translation that has long held a place among English speaking Catholics is the Jerusalem Bible, though I know very little about it except that it was (I assume still is) the favorite of Mother Angelica and that J.R.R. Tolkien played some small part in producing the translation. That sounds encouraging, as far as it goes.

The New Revised Standard Version (NRSV), which apparently also has a Catholic edition though I've never seen it, and New Jerusalem Bible have both been criticized for containing inclusive language, that is, language that has been changed to be more gender-neutral. Assuming the criticism to be factually correct I share the concern. When reading the Bible I want to know what the inspired text actually says. If the translator really wants to insert his or her opinion on how a passage should be interpreted, do it with a footnote, not through a deliberate corruption of the text.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

Last edited by Aelred Minor; Jun 26, '11 at 1:35 pm.
Old Jun 26, '11, 10:28 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

I use the NAB for lack of anything better, but I have been thinking of purchasing a RSV-CE Bible.
Old Jun 27, '11, 5:41 am
Registering
Forum Supporter

The Douay-Rheims - the counter reformation masterpiece - is the be-all-and-end-all, for me.

I am lucky enough to have a large presentation edition - it has the Old and New Testaments, and three Papal encyclicals too.

I also have a small pocket-size Douay-Rheims New Testament and Psalms.

Great versions, you cant go wrong with them imo.
Old Jun 27, '11, 6:25 am
Book Club Member

I use the Douay Rheims and the RSV mostly.
Old Jun 27, '11, 9:07 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian in the Holy Catholic Church

NAB-RE, RSV-2CE, NIV. I like these because they all use modern day vocabulary. I guess I just like dynamic translations (but not paraphrases like the CEV ), as I usually don't study them, just casual reading. I get to use a pure Catholic Bible (NAB-RE), a hybrid of Catholic and Protestant (RSV-2CE), and a pure Protestant Bible (NIV). I use the NAB-RE the most though.

Old Jun 28, '11, 8:56 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Orthodox Study Bible and if I don't have that handy then I use the RSV. Josephblack there is nothing wrong with the OSB and it was actually recommended to me by a priest with a Sacred Theology Doctorate who has learned Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Latin, and countless other languages. It is the only complete English translation of the Old Testament from the Septuagint, and the NKJV New Testament is perfectly legitimate and very close to the RSV.
Old Jun 28, '11, 9:02 pm

Religion: Catholic (ex-atheist)

What I'm wondering is, why only one Bible?

I use different Bibles for different purposes. I have a NAB study Bible (called the "School and Church Edition"), a Catholic RSV, a NKJV Life Principles Bible, a Catholic GNB, and even a copy of George Lamsa's translation from the Aramaic. Sometimes I look at them all when I want to know more about a particular passage.
Old Jun 29, '11, 6:42 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo674 View Post
Orthodox Study Bible and if I don't have that handy then I use the RSV. Josephblack there is nothing wrong with the OSB and it was actually recommended to me by a priest with a Sacred Theology Doctorate who has learned Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Latin, and countless other languages. It is the only complete English translation of the Old Testament from the Septuagint, and the NKJV New Testament is perfectly legitimate and very close to the RSV.
I think the study notes are part of the reason that many Orthodox and Eastern Catholics are not enamored with the OSB but I could be wrong. I did some serious searching on here as well as Orthodox Answers a while back when I was contemplating picking that one up.
Old Jun 29, '11, 11:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortification View Post
What the title says. Thanks.
NAB usually. However, the absolute best Bible you can by is Douay Rheims. It is the best translation. All the Catholic Apologists use it. The problem is the cheapest one you'll find is fifty dollars.

Dominus Vobiscum.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism