Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 27, '11, 12:38 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Underage Drinking

Hi all! I am wondering if it were a sin for me to consume alcohol or not in this situation:

I live in the United States where we can consume alcohol underage under the supervision of our parent or guardian (I am eighteen). I am currently on vacation with my girlfriend and her family and my parents told me it was okay with them for me to consume alcohol as long as I am with her parents...

Thoughts?

Thanks and God bless!
Old Jun 27, '11, 12:50 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Underage Drinking

Your parents have already given you direction, why do you feel the need to ask random people on the internet?

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jun 27, '11, 12:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Your parents have already given you direction, why do you feel the need to ask random people on the internet?
It is a technicality I suppose (slightly scrupulous...) that I am not actually with my parents.
Old Jun 27, '11, 12:53 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Winters View Post
It is a technicality I suppose (slightly scrupulous...) that I am not actually with my parents.
Yes but your parents have given you direction on the matter. You need to trust your parents judgment.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jun 27, '11, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Yes but your parents have given you direction on the matter. You need to trust your parents judgment.
Will do. Thank you for the quick response!

God Bless!
Old Jun 27, '11, 1:43 pm

It is illegal to consume alcohol underage. In some states (not all) it is legal for parents to give their children alcohol if they are between 18 and 20. Drinking alcohol given to you from anyone other than your parents is illegal and is wrong.
Old Jun 27, '11, 2:14 pm

I've never heard that. While I think it would be illegal to consume any alcohol while under 21, I don't think it's a sin. Also, just because it's illegal doesn't mean you can't. Your parents know that you do and I think that's fine. Just don't over do it and get yourself caught.
Matthew 10:33

Old Jun 28, '11, 7:14 am

Seriously people? Did you seriously just say to just not get caught...

As Catholic Christians we are supposed to obey the law unless it has us do something we consider to be morally wrong. Even if a law is annoying and inconvenient (driving the speed limit, not drinking underage, etc) we are supposed to obey the law!

From the Catechism, paragraph 2242
The citizen is obliged in conscience not to follow the directives of civil authorities when they are contrary to the demands of the moral order, to the fundamental rights of persons or the teachings of the Gospel. Refusing obedience to civil authorities, when their demands are contrary to those of an upright conscience, finds its justification in the distinction between serving God and serving the political community. "Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." "We must obey God rather than men":

When citizens are under the oppression of a public authority which oversteps its competence, they should still not refuse to give or to do what is objectively demanded of them by the common good; but it is legitimate for them to defend their own rights and those of their fellow citizens against the abuse of this authority within the limits of the natural law and the Law of the Gospel.

This means we should follow the law when it is not "contrary to the demands of the moral order."
Old Jun 28, '11, 7:16 am

also:

2199 The fourth commandment is addressed expressly to children in their relationship to their father and mother, because this relationship is the most universal. It likewise concerns the ties of kinship between members of the extended family. It requires honor, affection, and gratitude toward elders and ancestors. Finally, it extends to the duties of pupils to teachers, employees to employers, subordinates to leaders, citizens to their country, and to those who administer or govern it.

This commandment includes and presupposes the duties of parents, instructors, teachers, leaders, magistrates, those who govern, all who exercise authority over others or over a community of persons.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology