Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jun 29, '11, 4:14 pm
swimmingfreak swimmingfreak is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: June 28, 2011
Posts: 3
Religion: Catholic
Default Gay marriage why is it wrong

I am a supporter of gay marriage I myself at least I don't think I am because I'm fourteen. My point to this is why is it consider such a bad thing to do in the Catholic faith. God said he will except everyone, but then in the bible it also says (I think) same sex partners or something will burn in Hell. I don't get it because how do we have the right to say you can't love this person cause your wrong I think everyone should be allowed to marry who we want to and the church shouldn't have the right to send DVD's out saying this is wrong and marriage should "only" be between one man and one woman. (Minnesota had DVD's sent out to every house hold.) I probably won't change my opinion no matter what I am told I just want to know why the Catholic Church thinks it's so bad.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jun 29, '11, 5:23 pm
the 7th one's Avatar
the 7th one the 7th one is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 8, 2009
Posts: 3,095
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmingfreak View Post
I am a supporter of gay marriage I myself at least I don't think I am because I'm fourteen. My point to this is why is it consider such a bad thing to do in the Catholic faith. God said he will except everyone, but then in the bible it also says (I think) same sex partners or something will burn in Hell. I don't get it because how do we have the right to say you can't love this person cause your wrong I think everyone should be allowed to marry who we want to and the church shouldn't have the right to send DVD's out saying this is wrong and marriage should "only" be between one man and one woman. (Minnesota had DVD's sent out to every house hold.) I probably won't change my opinion no matter what I am told I just want to know why the Catholic Church thinks it's so bad.
First off, you need to take a good look at how you view Love. It is not wrong to love someone of the same gender. It is wrong to have sexual intercourse with someone of the same gender. Love and Sexual Intercourse are not always the samething.
As far as the Church's right to send out DVD's on the topic, well if the Church did not speak up on issues of right and wrong, when would they speak up? If you disagree with their view, so be it. It is your right to express what you belive, but it is also the Church's right to do the same. Modern media and Liberal Political types would have you think that the state is the only valid point of setting values in society. The truth is it is the people who have the right to set it, and the Church has a duty to help them know right from wrong.
Peace
__________________
To Every Season there is a Reason and a Time to every purpose under Heaven
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jun 29, '11, 5:57 pm
thistle thistle is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 20,140
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmingfreak View Post
I am a supporter of gay marriage I myself at least I don't think I am because I'm fourteen. My point to this is why is it consider such a bad thing to do in the Catholic faith. God said he will except everyone, but then in the bible it also says (I think) same sex partners or something will burn in Hell. I don't get it because how do we have the right to say you can't love this person cause your wrong I think everyone should be allowed to marry who we want to and the church shouldn't have the right to send DVD's out saying this is wrong and marriage should "only" be between one man and one woman. (Minnesota had DVD's sent out to every house hold.) I probably won't change my opinion no matter what I am told I just want to know why the Catholic Church thinks it's so bad.
God says he will accept everyone who wants to come to him. Anyone who wants to come to him will obey him.
People who say those in gay unions are loving good people faithful to God are WRONG! Homosexuals are people who refuse to do God's will and instead they want God to obey them.
Of course this also applies to those who believe in abortion, straight people living together in a sexual relationship outside marriage, etc.
You can't have it both ways. God gave us freewill. You either obey him or reject him. Active homosexuals by definition are rejecting him because they are refusing to obey his will. If they die unrepentent then they condemn themselves to Hell.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jun 29, '11, 6:27 pm
AmericanMuslim AmericanMuslim is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: June 29, 2011
Posts: 69
Religion: Muslim
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

I would like to point out that homosexual acts are viewed as sinful in all of the world's great religions - Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism.

It's also worth pointing out that, to my knowledge, homosexual inclinations are not viewed as sinful in any of the "big five". We're all inclined to sin - and that inclination is not sinful in and of itself. Only acting on it is.

Really, the overwhelming lesson of the world's religious is sexual moderation. Sex within marriage is permitted (even encouraged for procreation). Sex outside it is generally forbidden. Homosexuals are simply in the same category as single people.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jun 29, '11, 6:29 pm
Defender1 Defender1 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 15, 2011
Posts: 504
Religion: Roman Catholic
Cool Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmingfreak View Post
I am a supporter of gay marriage I myself at least I don't think I am because I'm fourteen. My point to this is why is it consider such a bad thing to do in the Catholic faith. God said he will except everyone, but then in the bible it also says (I think) same sex partners or something will burn in Hell. I don't get it because how do we have the right to say you can't love this person cause your wrong I think everyone should be allowed to marry who we want to and the church shouldn't have the right to send DVD's out saying this is wrong and marriage should "only" be between one man and one woman. (Minnesota had DVD's sent out to every house hold.) I probably won't change my opinion no matter what I am told I just want to know why the Catholic Church thinks it's so bad.
LEt me explain why homosexuality is wrong to begin with : GOd never intended for people of the same gender to have sexual intercourse . Even from an honest Atheist standpoint it is not humane to do so . Our Rectums were not created by GOd to have sexual intercourse with . They were created for obvious reasons(need I mention?)You and I are both here not because a man and a man or woman and woman had sexual intercourse. SO Not only should gay marriage not even be up for discussion but homosexuality in itself should never exist . True Christians dont display those actions . And the Bible is clearly against homosexuality . God ruined a whole city because of homosexuality being one of the reasons .
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jul 4, '11, 9:39 pm
John21652 John21652 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: December 1, 2009
Posts: 7,979
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to John21652
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmingfreak View Post
I am a supporter of gay marriage I myself at least I don't think I am because I'm fourteen.
Well, it is pretty bad when fourteen year olds start to wonder over this issue. No doubt it's because the gay agenda brigade have made it such a high profile topic that now even kids are talking about it.

Quote:
My point to this is why is it consider such a bad thing to do in the Catholic faith. God said he will except everyone, but then in the bible it also says (I think) same sex partners or something will burn in Hell.
Another poster here, AmericanMuslim, pointed out how all the great religions of the world say homosexuality is taboo. That's because the world's great religions are what we term Natural Law religions. You need to study up on what the Natural Law is, because the Natural Law explains why homosexuality is wrong. The Catholic Church says Natural Law comes from God. It is referenced in the Bible, the Ten Commandments and all Church literature.
Quote:
I don't get it because how do we have the right to say you can't love this person cause your wrong
You can love anyone you want. In fact, the Catholic Church says you should love your fellow man and God and yourself.
Quote:
I think everyone should be allowed to marry who we want to
That idea doesn't make sense. Should you be allowed to marry your sister, or your cousin, or your mother? Should a man be able to marry a little girl? Can I marry my dog, just because I love him? If not, why not? There are laws in place which regulate marriage to prevent the horrible consequences of wrong marriages and no-one has the 'right' to marry whoever they want just because they 'love' them..



Quote:
and the church shouldn't have the right to send DVD's out saying this is wrong and marriage should "only" be between one man and one woman. (Minnesota had DVD's sent out to every house hold.)
Now you want to make it illegal for the Church to state its position on a moral issue, yet you want less laws regulating marriage. Where's the fairness in that? You wish to suppress a Church and at the same time make marriage laws less oppressive. That is an exercise in double standards. You also forget that the Church represents a lot of people who live in society and yet you would stifle their representation. What would you do next, stifle political opponents you disagree with? You are just wanting to make up laws that suit you and what you happen to think. That's what dictators do. You are also forgetting that there is such a thing as religious freedom, so don't wish for laws that will restrict it.


Quote:
I probably won't change my opinion no matter what I am told I just want to know why the Catholic Church thinks it's so bad.
That's a horrible thing to admit, because it means you are closed minded and perhaps bigoted. If you say you are not open to new ideas and argument, then you are effecively saying you have perfect knowledge. That is sheer arrogance. In fact, it is Hubris. That's an old Greek word you should know about, for your own sake.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jul 5, '11, 9:39 am
smichhertz smichhertz is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 19, 2010
Posts: 2,022
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

Hi swimmingfreak!

Firsly, welcome to CAF! I hope you enjoy your experience on these forums and that it aids you in getting to Heaven. I found it to be a wonderful resource and highly recommend you stick around and keep posting questions. You'll learn a lot!

On to your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmingfreak View Post
...but then in the bible it also says (I think) same sex partners or something will burn in Hell.
Yes, homosexuality is strongly condemned in the Bible many times. Both in the Old and New Testament, there is nothing but strong wording against this kind of sin. Anyone who believes the Bible to be the Word of God automatically must accept homosexuality as a sin. It doesn't leave it up to interpretation at all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmingfreak View Post
I don't get it because how do we have the right to say you can't love this person cause your wrong I think everyone should be allowed to marry who we want to and the church shouldn't have the right to send DVD's out saying this is wrong and marriage should "only" be between one man and one woman.
Firstly, the Church teaches that we should love everyone, so you already have a flawed idea of the Church's teaching. The Church's position on homosexuality is that any act of homosexuality is a sin, but the inclination itself is not. So if someone is born with same-sex attraction, they are not sinning by having that attraction, only when they act on it.

Secondly, homosexuality is a sin because it is a sexual act that eliminates the procreative aspect of sex. God's first command to us was to "be fruitful, multiply". Homosexuals are unable to follow that command.

Thirdly, the Church has the right to spread God's teachings to all people. I have no idea of the contents of this DVD and if it is even accurate or exemplifies Church teaching. But please keep in mind there is nothing illegal or immoral about sending a DVD to help one understand the teachings of a Church.

Hope that helps!
__________________

"Do not be afraid. Do not be satisfied with mediocrity. Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch." - Pope St. John Paul II
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jul 5, '11, 9:53 am
Barb3 Barb3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 16, 2009
Posts: 192
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

I thought I'd add some comments because I live in San Francisco and we have MANY gays here -- they have literally taken over one district -- in fact, the Church had to close the Catholic grammar school because there were so few children in the neighborhood -- I'm not sure whether or not they've also closed the Church. I have several friends who grew up in the district many years ago and went to the Catholic grammar school, but it has definitely changed.
Several months ago I was on the local street car going to downtown San Francisco. I must have missed something in the newspaper because the car was full of gays, and they were all over one another -- kissing, hugging -- UGH -- to me this is a private thing and not something you should be involved in on a public street car.
I am DEFINITELY against gay marriage -- also believe the change in the military of "don't ask, don't tell" is going to have some negative results.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jul 5, '11, 10:06 am
mcrow's Avatar
mcrow mcrow is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 8, 2010
Posts: 1,105
Religion: Catholic (Knight in the 3rd Degree)
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmingfreak View Post
I am a supporter of gay marriage I myself at least I don't think I am because I'm fourteen. My point to this is why is it consider such a bad thing to do in the Catholic faith. God said he will except everyone, but then in the bible it also says (I think) same sex partners or something will burn in Hell. I don't get it because how do we have the right to say you can't love this person cause your wrong I think everyone should be allowed to marry who we want to and the church shouldn't have the right to send DVD's out saying this is wrong and marriage should "only" be between one man and one woman. (Minnesota had DVD's sent out to every house hold.) I probably won't change my opinion no matter what I am told I just want to know why the Catholic Church thinks it's so bad.
Hello,

First I want to clear something up. The Video you mention didn't even mention Gays in it. The video I recieved from the Church here in MN was a Pro Straight Marriage video that highlighted what makes a sacramental marriage so great. I find it really hard to understand why this video cause such an uproar when it didn't even mention Gays or gay marriage in it.

Second, just because you tell people what they are doing is wrong does not mean you don't love them. Does your Father stop loving you if you disappoint or disobey him? No father worth his salt would do that and Our Father is the greatest of them all.

Does your father sometimes punish you even though he really does not want to? I'm sure your father has rules and there are punishments if you break them, correct? Well, Our Father has rules as well and when we break them there us punishment for it.

Our Father knows what's best and designed us to be independent thinkers, so we are free to disobey if we choose to. Now, I'm not suggesting anyone will go to hell for sure for having gay relations but the Bible and the Magesterium frown upon it which should give us a good indication what could happen.

Again, were are charged to love everyone but this does not exclude one from being told when they are wrong or sinning. This is not a "don't judge" moment, this phrase is so overly used it means nothing anymore. We are free to point out the wrong doing of anyone so long as we don't do so willy nilly without evidence.We are not to judge wether someone will go to hell or how God will punish someone but point out wrong doing IS our job and duty.

We must love our Gay brothers and sisters but sometimes it has to be tough love for best of all. Perhaps if the Bible didn't make it so clear, there could be a debate but that's not the case.
__________________
Tiber Swim Team Class of 2011
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jul 5, '11, 11:47 am
sw85 sw85 is offline
Account Under Review
 
Join Date: July 22, 2010
Posts: 3,550
Religion: Baptized and confirmed Easter Vigil, 2012
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmingfreak View Post
I am a supporter of gay marriage I myself at least I don't think I am because I'm fourteen. My point to this is why is it consider such a bad thing to do in the Catholic faith. God said he will except everyone, but then in the bible it also says (I think) same sex partners or something will burn in Hell. I don't get it because how do we have the right to say you can't love this person cause your wrong I think everyone should be allowed to marry who we want to and the church shouldn't have the right to send DVD's out saying this is wrong and marriage should "only" be between one man and one woman. (Minnesota had DVD's sent out to every house hold.) I probably won't change my opinion no matter what I am told I just want to know why the Catholic Church thinks it's so bad.
Hi swimmingfreak,

The Catholic Church's position on homosexuality stems in part from classical and medieval philosophy, specifically, natural law theory.

Natural law is based on classical essentialism, which holds that for every object in nature, there is a perfected "form" or "essence" in which it "participates" or "instantiates." You can generally grasp what the form of a thing is mentally, even if it doesn't occur in nature. For instance, you can conceive of a perfect triangle in your hand, even if it is impossible to draw a perfect one due to the minor imperfections that must be produced by the unsteady human hand.

Goodness, according to this theory, consists in adhering to the essence of a thing. So, for example, if a particular breed of dog is bred to be loyal and friendly (say, a golden retriever), a "good" golden retriever will be loyal and friendly; by contrast, a "bad" one will be aggressive or something. It's badness consists in the fact that it does not instantiate the essence of the breed very well. By contrast, a "good" guard dog would bark at the sight of a stranger; a "bad" guard dog would be very friendly even to unwelcome intruders.

This applies to people, as well. Specifically, the human sexual configuration (literally, that men have penises and women vaginas) exists to serve the purpose procreation. So does our strong sex drive and feelings of romantic attachment and romantic love. These are simply facts of nature. Because it is good to act in accordance with natural law, it is good that all sexual acts accord to the objectively procreative nature of the conjugal union.

This is how the Church derives not only its prohibition on homosexual acts but also nonprocreative sexual acts (such as anal sex or coitus interruptus), contraception, abortion, and masturbation.

The issue is not about love. Marriage serves the end of procreation, and romantic love serves that end as well. Thus, romantic love itself must be oriented toward the procreative act. Romantic love that is not so oriented (for instance, the romantic love between two people of the same sex, or between an adult and a child) is therefore deficient and disordered.

Hope that clarifies things for you.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jul 5, '11, 12:55 pm
EasterJoy EasterJoy is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: March 26, 2008
Posts: 16,598
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

No one says you can't love a person! And no, you can't marry anyone you want to. You can't legally marry a close relative, you can't marry someone the state says is too young to give consent, you can't marry someone who is already married to someone else, and it doesn't matter how much you love each other. The truth is, as a Catholic you're not allowed to marry someone whom you know does not intend to be open to the natural goods of marriage, including producing and rearing children. Although you may marry someone who is theoretically sterile, you may not even marry someone who is practically and permanently incapable of normal heterosexual intercourse.

The prohibition, then, is against any marriage that cannot include that sexual act which provides the reason for marriage: that is, the kind that can lead to pregnancy. Marriage is about a lot more than being able to do things that excite you with a person whom you love and want to have a dog and a mortgage with. The mechanics of sex in marriage is intended both to bring the partners open to each other but also open to their union and that particular act transmitting life. That is one of the fundamental goods of marriage. If it isn't there, there can be no marriage.

While you may run across people or groups who have a definition of marriage that doesn't logically exclude people marrying other people of the same gender, the Church isn't one of them.

Keep in mind, too, that the prevailing view of gay marriage is one that foresees artificial means of obtaining biological children. That is, not only do gays foresee adopting, but many are having children by the use of a third person, one of the opposite gender, a person that they did not marry. Yes! Their view of marriage includes the option to arrange an out-of-marriage pregnancy! IOW, the people who raise you could choose from the start to raise you apart from one of your biological parents, as if you were orphaned by factors beyond anyone's control. Would you like to have had your parents choose that one of them would not be there for you, that your mom and dad would not be the ones who were "in love with each other"? This is something the Church could never allow.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jul 6, '11, 4:01 pm
manualman manualman is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2004
Posts: 11,722
Religion: Catholic - no buts.
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

Every one of us is a product of our age. Those who grew up in the era of slavery mostly saw nothing wrong with it (unless they were black!). Those who grew up in the era when women were not allowed to vote mostly felt this was wise. Those who grew up in a land of legal and culturally applauded abortion mostly see nothing wrong with it (until/unless they experience it firsthand).

We have to recongize that WE are people who have grown up in an era when marriage has been REdefined like this: "Marriage is the union of a man and woman who feel great love for one another, want to publicly celebrate that feeling of love and have it last forever." The strange thing is that this definition (I call it Hollywood Marriage) contains ZERO reason for government to be even remotely involved in it, much less to 'deny' it to homosexuals (or polygamists or even the incestuous).

The reason government regulates marriage and grants certain priviledges to marriage is that we historically defined marriage VERY differently. Just Google the traditional marriage vows and it becomes quite clear that marriage was traditionally defined like this: "Marriage is the permanent and sacred bond of a self-sacrificing love so great that it holds the power to bring forth and nurture new life, most fully manifesting humanity's ability to reflect the image and likeness of God." See the difference? The push to drop this definition started in the 40's and reached total success in the 60's when the current 'Hollywood' definition achieved dominance in America.

The old definition clearly placed the focus of marriage outward on the other spouse and on the children that resulted, instead of on the feelings of the self. It tended to create a stable society with plenty of well raised and educated children to sustain and raise the level of civilization. Governments recognized the long term self interest of their people as set policies to reinforce and reward this culturally constructive institution. The "me" focused Hollywood marriage definition produces narcicism, divorce, unrealistic expectations and fatally few children (every country that has effectively adopted it now has a negative long term fertility rate).

The reason people don't oppose gay marriage is because they simply don't know what marriage really is.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jul 7, '11, 10:58 am
Jaypeeto4 Jaypeeto4 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 5, 2005
Posts: 3,109
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

The reason people don't oppose gay marriage is because they simply don't know what marriage really is.

AMEN to THAT !!

Did you notice that the controversy is now always framed
in terms of standing up for something called "Marriage Equality" ???
Wow.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Jul 7, '11, 2:41 pm
EasterJoy EasterJoy is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: March 26, 2008
Posts: 16,598
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
The reason people don't oppose gay marriage is because they simply don't know what marriage really is.
Yep.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Jul 8, '11, 6:12 am
mangy dog mangy dog is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2007
Posts: 1,922
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gay marriage why is it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmingfreak View Post
I am a supporter of gay marriage I myself at least I don't think I am because I'm fourteen. My point to this is why is it consider such a bad thing to do in the Catholic faith. God said he will except everyone, but then in the bible it also says (I think) same sex partners or something will burn in Hell. I don't get it because how do we have the right to say you can't love this person cause your wrong I think everyone should be allowed to marry who we want to and the church shouldn't have the right to send DVD's out saying this is wrong and marriage should "only" be between one man and one woman. (Minnesota had DVD's sent out to every house hold.) I probably won't change my opinion no matter what I am told I just want to know why the Catholic Church thinks it's so bad.


In a black mass - everything is done to mock or desecrate the Holy Sacrifice of the Catholic mass. It is a direct attack on sacred liturgy, mocking that which is holy.

Homosexuals wanting marriage is a direct attack on the Sacrament of Marriage. Divine Grace is recieved in each sacrament. It is a profanation of something holy.

Whether it's called a civil union or marriage, it is a mockery of the sacrament which is holy.

Active homosexuality is also a direct profanation and mockery of the sacramental union of a man and a woman as stated in scripture.

For a man to be as a woman and a woman to be as a man is a sure sign of social decline - escalating to what we have nowadays in our society - leading to the eventual fall of empires. US; Great Britain and other great countries, are rapidly heading towards their own demise because of their "turning away" from the Sound Doctrine and the Good News of Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Bookmarks

Tags
gay, marriage

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8448Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: jerrythetrucker
5139CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: hopeful01
4423Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3731Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3313Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3279Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3222Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3107For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 3:23 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.