Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 3, '11, 5:57 pm

Religion: Catholic
Unhappy Do these Bible verses say only Christians go to Heaven?

Hello, there I'm David. I have read a few Bible verses like John 14:6 saying stuff like "no man cometh unto the father but by me." And other verses that say something like "he who does not believe in the son (Jesus) is condemned" or something along those lines. Does that mean only Christians go to Heaven?

What are your thoughts?

Are you a proud Hispanic Catholic too? Come join the group!

http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1318
Old Jul 3, '11, 7:15 pm

Default Re: Do these Bible verses say only Christians go to Heaven?

I think non-Christians can make it to Heaven. I feel that people living in such isolated areas that they may never have heard of Jesus, aborted babies, and other scenarios like this would be exceptions to non-Christians making it into Heaven.
Luke 12:25
Old Jul 3, '11, 7:20 pm
Forum Elder

I answer - if you find yourself in heaven you will be Catholic and it will have been through the one, holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church that Jesus set up specifically for that purpose.

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Jul 3, '11, 7:30 pm

Religion: Catholic (ex-atheist)

http://www.sspeterandpaul.net/apolog...cs_go_hell.pdf
Old Jul 3, '11, 7:34 pm

I think it means that salvation is not something that we can achieve on our own, but only by the grace of God through Jesus. Jesus came to save all of mankind, not just those who would later become Christians.

I just did a quick search on "salvation" on the catholic.com site and found this article which answers your question beautifully:

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2005/0512fea3.asp

It says:

"People who have never had an opportunity to hear of Christ and his Church—and those Christians whose minds have been closed to the truth of the Church by their conditioning—are not necessarily cut off from God’s mercy. Vatican II phrases the doctrine in these terms:
Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their consciences—those too may achieve eternal salvation (LG 16).

Since Christ died for all, and since all men are in fact called to one and the same destiny, which is divine, we must hold that the Holy Spirit offers to all the possibility of being made partakers, in a way known to God, of the Paschal mystery (Gaudium et Spes 22)."

It also says:

Every man who is ignorant of the gospel of Christ and of his Church but seeks the truth and does the will of God in accordance with his understanding of it can be saved. It may be supposed that such persons would have desired baptism explicitly if they had known its necessity (CCC 1260).

There are a lot of great sources on the site. Search "salvation" and you'll get a lot fantastic articles.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 4, '11, 8:49 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingtheway View Post
Hello, there I'm David. I have read a few Bible verses like John 14:6 saying stuff like "no man cometh unto the father but by me." And other verses that say something like "he who does not believe in the son (Jesus) is condemned" or something along those lines. Does that mean only Christians go to Heaven?

What are your thoughts?
Church teaching:

- Baptism is NECESSARY for salvation (but does not ensure it)
- There is no salvation outside the Catholic Church

How can someone be baptised and a Catholic?

- Sacramental Baptism as a Catholic
- Baptism of Blood (non-Catholic dying for the Catholic faith)
- Baptism of desire - Explicit (those who want to know more about Christ and have the desire to get baptised but die before scaramental baptism - e.g.those in RCIA)
- Baptism of Desire - Implicit (those who may (not will) be saved through invincible ignorance meaning those who through no fault of their own do not know Christ, his Gospel and his Church but nevertheless in that ignorance still live a life in accordance with Christ's teachings)

Outside the above four forms of baptism there is no salvation.

Not all Catholics are saved but everyone who is in Heaven is Catholic.
Old Jul 4, '11, 8:52 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post

I totally disagree. You will freak out when you see all the Protestants in heaven.

Unless you're including God fearing Protestants as "Catholics".

CCC 838
Quote:
838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Jul 4, '11, 10:49 pm

My favorite 'cold cut combo':

EVERY knee will bow, EVERY tongue will confess

Not all who say "Lord, Lord"...

Old Jul 5, '11, 3:49 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
I totally disagree. You will freak out when you see all the Protestants in heaven.

CCC 838
You may disagree but what I said in my post is the Church teaching.
As for your CCC quote that is not talking about salvation. Imperfect communion does not save anyone. Even sacramentally baptised Catholics will not be saved if they die in a state of mortal sin.
Old Jul 5, '11, 8:35 am

Quote:

What are your thoughts?
Hi David. I believe that the Bible teaches us that some will be saved who are not "Christian" in this life; maybe they never heard of Jesus, but I believe they are judged and condemned or saved by their works.

FIrst of all, we know from scripture that "all creation declares the glory of God." So even if someone has never heard nor been told of Jesus, there is some "knowing" that there is a God. A good chapter to read related to this is Wisdom chapter 13.

Romans 2 tells us this:

13 For it is not those who hear the law who are just in the sight of God; rather, those who observe the law will be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles who do not have the law by nature observe the prescriptions of the law, they are a law for themselves even though they do not have the law.
15 They show that the demands of the law are written in their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even defend them
16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge people's hidden works through Christ Jesus.

Are you familiar with the "sheep and the goats" judgment? It begins in Matthew 25:31 and goes to the end of the chapter.

Personally, I believe that judgment is not for Christians, but for non-believers . Note that the people being judged weren't aware that the things they were doing, was being done "for" Christ. They simply did them (or didn't do them) based on their own conscience.

I think this, plus the Romans passage I quoted first, go hand-in-hand.

Read the Catholic Bible in a Year ... a clickable reading plan that you can start any time!

Last edited by LPS; Jul 5, '11 at 8:42 am. Reason: correcting format
Old Jul 6, '11, 6:29 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian in the Holy Catholic Church

See catechism. But it is normatively necessary to be Christian to be saved.

Old May 10, '12, 1:15 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Evangelical Christianity

Quote:

What are your thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmyjs View Post
I think non-Christians can make it to Heaven. I feel that people living in such isolated areas that they may never have heard of Jesus, aborted babies, and other scenarios like this would be exceptions to non-Christians making it into Heaven.
Whether you take the title of "Christian" or not doesn't matter... you can take the title of "ladida" if you want. What gets you to Heaven is this:

Recognize that you are a sinner, that Christ is the Perfect, Holy, True, Savior and Son of God the Father. Only through Jesus Christ does one get to the Father. Jesus said: "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life." No one comes to the Father but through Me" in John 14:6.

You mentioned Mark 16:16 - "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned." If you do not believe in Jesus Christ or God the Father you will be condemned. Revelation 21:8 says, "But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

Aborted babies, yes I believe they go to Heaven, even though we are born into sin as Psalm 51:5 says, Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me." (Relating to Original Sin as people call it) But they have not had time to sin, such as lie, steal, blaspheme, fornicate, etc. Just as I believe those who cannot comprehend the truth and knowledge of God, such as the mentally handicapped.

However, when you say "I believe non-Christians can make it into Heaven" and then go on to mention people in isolated areas, we are all held accountable. Just because those people are isolated from the booming cities that you and I are in, doesn't mean they aren't guilty of their sins. Everyone is born with a conscience, (con = with, science = knowledge) and we are all born with the consciousness of God instilled in us. -- All those people still sin, and are therefore held accountable on the day of Judgment, Matthew 12:36 - "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris07 View Post
I think it means that salvation is not something that we can achieve on our own, but only by the grace of God through Jesus. Jesus came to save all of mankind, not just those who would later become Christians.

Every man who is ignorant of the gospel of Christ and of his Church but seeks the truth and does the will of God in accordance with his understanding of it can be saved.

Those too may achieve eternal salvation (LG 16).

Since Christ died for all, and since all men are in fact called to one and the same destiny, which is divine.
Salvation can NOT be achieved on our you are 100% correct friend.

Yes, you are right, Christ DID die for all... however as it says in Matthew 22:14 "For many are called, but few are chosen." and Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter." Not ALL are called to a "divine destiny" as you said, however we have all been given the Grace we do not deserve and the chance to repent (turn away from our life of sin) and follow Jesus Christ as our Lord.

Those who are ignorant of the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, must seek out the Will of the Father. Ephesians 2:8, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Church teaching:

- Baptism is NECESSARY for salvation (but does not ensure it)
- There is no salvation outside the Catholic Church

How can someone be baptised and a Catholic?

- Sacramental Baptism as a Catholic
- Baptism of Blood (non-Catholic dying for the Catholic faith)
- Baptism of desire - Explicit (those who want to know more about Christ and have the desire to get baptised but die before scaramental baptism - e.g.those in RCIA)
- Baptism of Desire - Implicit (those who may (not will) be saved through invincible ignorance meaning those who through no fault of their own do not know Christ, his Gospel and his Church but nevertheless in that ignorance still live a life in accordance with Christ's teachings)

Outside the above four forms of baptism there is no salvation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post

CCC 838
As for these two responses,

"- Baptism is NECESSARY for salvation (but does not ensure it)
- There is no salvation outside the Catholic Church"

Baptism is a symbol of being born again into a life of Christ... it is NOT necessary to be saved. Acts 8:34-39 - You see here that in v. 37 Philip informs the eunuch that “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” There are two types of Baptism, water baptism and spiritual baptism. Spiritual baptism is being born into a new life with Christ, and water baptism is outwardly showing this new birth through water. From Ecclesiastical Latin baptizare, from Greek baptizein 'immerse'... not 'dunk into water'.

I hope your questions were answered, or if you would like to talk more I'm here.
Old May 10, '12, 9:00 am

There is a difficult and narrow road that leads to heaven and the name of that road is Jesus Christ. Not everyone who travels that road to heaven necessarily knows its name in this life but it is the only road to heaven. And, when they get to heaven, they will know that they got there through Jesus Christ.

Last edited by Todd Easton; May 10, '12 at 9:18 am.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture