Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 8, '11, 10:32 am
Suspended
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Why is John Macarthur so anti-catholic?

Can anyone explain that to me? Or is it just ingorance?

I mean, he calls Catholicism a cult and pagan and things like that.

But I found out that Macarthur went to Bob Jones College in South Carolina I think. And they are very very anti-catholic.

Now I've heard some say that Macarthur is a calvanist. But I"m not sure about that...
Old Jul 8, '11, 11:40 am
Banned

Religion: CATHOLIC
Unhappy Re: Why is John Macarthur so anti-catholic?

John....is a 5th? Generation UBER Reformed Baptist Pastor...the "simple" answer...it is VERY ingrained in him....some people...Pastors..."Dynastic" Pastors...like I say I think he is 5th..or he has Uncles who were also of this mindset...from CHILDHOOD...he was indoctrinated in ANTI-CATHOLOCISM...and a pretty rabid form..more Dangerous than a Jack Chick....Why?.....He IS SMART....well spoken well educated....I have NEVER TRULY met a Catholic....who lost faith over Chick you cant take him seriously! John Mac...Major Church...Top Selling Study Bibles......TV and Internet...he HAS done damage...it is sad!
Old Jul 8, '11, 12:42 pm

Default Re: Why is John Macarthur so anti-catholic?

Just going to Bob Jones University would be enough to make him anti-Catholic -- they don't even consider Catholics to be Christians. It's hard to know in his particular case how much is willful ignorance and how much is innocent. As a former evangelical Protestant, it was my observation (and personal experience) that most Protestants don't go directly to Catholic sources to study Catholic teaching -- they get it second-hand from Protestant sources that distort Catholic teaching, so they wind up with a very distorted understanding of the Catholic faith. It wasn't until I began seriously investigating the Catholic faith that I started going directly to Catholic sources, and in the process was surprised to find that what I'd read about the Catholic faith in many Protestant sources was simply wrong. To be honest, the ignorance of many Catholics of the basic Gospel message and saving truths of Christ reinforce the negative stereotypes of Catholics and feed the anti-Catholic perception.
Old Jul 8, '11, 1:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason3477 View Post

But I found out that Macarthur went to Bob Jones College in South Carolina I think. And they are very very anti-catholic.

Now I've heard some say that Macarthur is a calvanist. But I"m not sure about that...
It is called IGNORANCE! I find it so ironic, many have college degrees,but fail miserably to learn what the RCC teaches. Call it fear or ignorance,but it is sad.
Old Jul 8, '11, 1:29 pm

Religion: Orthodox (ACROD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas41 View Post
It's hard to know in his particular case how much is willful ignorance and how much is innocent.
I'd pay a fortune to be standing next to John MacArthur, James White, Robert Zins, TurretinFan, or any of the other well-known anti-Catholic Protestants at their personal judgment.

God: "If you want to get into heaven, my child, you're going to have to go through purgatory first."
Anti-Catholic Protestant: "Purgatory? What nonsense! Where is that in the Bible?"
God: "My child... Ever read Revelation 21:27?"
Anti-Catholic Protestant: "Yes. But what of it? It's eisegesis to read some kind of process of purification after death into the text. Don't you know that, if something isn't explicitly stated in the Bible, it's a papist tradition of men to be rejected immediately?"
God: "I inspired fallible men to put pen to paper. Ultimately, though, I'm the one who wrote the Bible. Are we agreed on that point?"
Anti-Catholic Protestant: "Yes, sir."
God: "Good. Well, then, don't I have the prerogative to say definitively what I wanted to get across when I inspired that verse?"
Anti-Catholic Protestant: "I suppose so. But aren't you forgetting 2 Timothy 3:16-17?"
God: "No, I'm not. I never intended for anyone to take that passage as many have twisted it."
Anti-Catholic Protestant: "Twisted it? Enough of these Romanist lies! Purgatory is a false doctrine of an apostate church which teaches works-righteousness and statue worship and the immaculate conception of some ordinary Jewish woman... who was definitely a sinner, no matter how you might attempt to eisegete 'I rejoice in God my saviour'."
God: "Hold it right there. That church got a lot more things right than any Protestant has. Purgatory isn't a figment of anyone's imagination. Catholics don't believe in earning their salvation. And they worship statues about as much as you worship the Bible. And Mary was in fact freed of original sin at conception and lived a blameless life. I know you're not the strongest advocate for giving the mother of your saviour her due respect, but you'll be apologizing to Mary for that later on."
Anti-Catholic Protestant: "This is madness. I can't believe I'm still arguing with an ignorant, deceitful Romanist heretic, and having to preach a corrective to their false gospel, even after death! I should be enjoying heaven right now, clothed in the perfect righteousness of Jesus Christ which was imputed to me when I discovered I was one of your elect!"
God: "Do you want to get into heaven, my child? All you have to do is to go through purgatory. Then you can join all the other Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans, Presbyterians, and Arminians in heaven purified, and partake in our liturgies in praise of yours truly and prayers for the church on earth..."
Anti-Catholic Protestant: "No!!! Calvin forever!" *head explodes*

Quote:
As a former evangelical Protestant, it was my observation (and personal experience) that most Protestants don't go directly to Catholic sources to study Catholic teaching -- they get it second-hand from Protestant sources that distort Catholic teaching, so they wind up with a very distorted understanding of the Catholic faith. It wasn't until I began seriously investigating the Catholic faith that I started going directly to Catholic sources, and in the process was surprised to find that what I'd read about the Catholic faith in many Protestant sources was simply wrong.
I've found that, even when they read the canons from the Council of Trent and the Catechism of the Catholic Church, they still don't get it. Those documents weren't written for material heretics reading them four centuries after the Deformation, but for the contemporary enemies of the faith and its loyal adherents.

Quote:
To be honest, the ignorance of many Catholics of the basic Gospel message and saving truths of Christ reinforce the negative stereotypes of Catholics and feed the anti-Catholic perception.
Catechesis is atrocious these days. I learned almost nothing substantive about Catholicism in high school religion classes. I found out the hard way in university, when I encountered very zealous--and somewhat antagonistic--Protestants for the first time. I realized then that I had to start playing catch-up if I wanted to keep my sanity.

I don't envy a lot of the "Catholic" "clergy" and "educators" on the Day of Judgment, when they'll have to answer to the old man upstairs for their deriliction of duty toward the Catholic youth they were supposedly leading and instructing...
Old Jul 8, '11, 3:10 pm

AS Bishop Sheen said, people hate what they THINK the Catholic Church is... the thing about such folks is that they have no idea what the Catholic Church really is... in fact they have no idea what we really believe in.

IF they did, they would leave their wrong beliefs behind and join the Church that Christ truly established.

A couple of cool stories about St. Anthony and protestants/heretics...

some heretics doubting the true real presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist, challenged St Anthony to prove it.

St. Anthony had a mule that had not been fed in a while. One person held a bag of feed, and another held the Holy Eucharist. The mule walked over to the Eucharist and knelt in front of it.

In a second incident, St Anthony was being heckled by some heretics as he was walking by a lake or river. St Anthony turned towards the water and said since you will not listen to me, I will preach to the fishes. A number of fishes lined up in the water and listen to him preach.

Folks who question the validity of the Catholic Church only need to look at nearly two thousand years of Catholic Church history and compare it to their own. We can trace ours back to Christ and the Apostles. At BEST they can go back to Martin Luther or John Calvin, and most can't even make it back that far.

IF you are anti-Catholic, that only puts you in league with ANTI-Christ. That's not a good place to be come judgement day.
Old Jul 9, '11, 2:10 am

Quote:

A lot of it is ignorance - the same old myths being regurgitated. MacArthur has a lot of things wrong about Catholicism. Add to that a very strong conviction that his brand of Christianity is the only valid one. Listen to him talk to Kirk Cameron, about how he has been fighting to defend "the Gospel" all his life. Not that he hasn't got some things right - he's a smart guy in many aspects, as is John Piper.

Quote:
He's Reformed, yes.
Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no schisms among you; but that you be perfect in the same mind, and in the same judgment. 1 Corinthians 1:10
Old Jul 9, '11, 2:32 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor135 View Post
I'd pay a fortune to be standing next to John MacArthur, James White, Robert Zins, TurretinFan, or any of the other well-known anti-Catholic Protestants at their personal judgment.
i wonder what John Todd and Alberto Rivera had to say for themselves......
Old Jul 9, '11, 3:17 am
Banned

Religion: Vaishnava

Quote:

Everyone has their own opinions, seems to me. You can either be a more flexible dude or you can just be all bigoted and stuff... I really don't think people should overly care much... stick to what they themselves know personally, and believe what they want - which is what we are already doing! - with just the right concession to "authority."
Old Jul 9, '11, 4:55 am
Banned

Religion: catholic

Quote:

He was brought up in it, or he uses anti-catholicism to put forward his own agenda. No 'Christian' is that hostile to another Christian Church unless they are either brainwashed or are making money off of it. If they were really being true Christians, they would try their best in everything to be sincere and Glorify God. That said, sometimes I struggle with that myself. Only prayers can change their hearts. Let the spirit of God work with them.

God Bless.
Old Jul 9, '11, 11:59 am
Banned

Cool Re: Why is John Macarthur so anti-catholic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousTemplar View Post
He was brought up in it, or he uses anti-catholicism to put forward his own agenda. No 'Christian' is that hostile to another Christian Church unless they are either brainwashed or are making money off of it. If they were really being true Christians, they would try their best in everything to be sincere and Glorify God. That said, sometimes I struggle with that myself. Only prayers can change their hearts. Let the spirit of God work with them.

God Bless.
Good point "PT"......we must NOT...answer hate with hate...Overcome with Love and Prayer! Thanks for putting that in!
Old Jul 9, '11, 1:37 pm
Greeter

Religion: Katholikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismetji View Post
Everyone has their own opinions, seems to me. You can either be a more flexible dude or you can just be all bigoted and stuff... I really don't think people should overly care much... stick to what they themselves know personally, and believe what they want - which is what we are already doing! - with just the right concession to "authority."
This is exactly the problem though. MacArthur believes the Catholic Church is at best apostate and at worse the whore of Babylonan and it is his belief that we must be saved and what he sees as the errors of Catholicism exposed. So he is, like you say, sticking to what he knows which is exactly the problem. From his frame of mind what he is doing is perfectly reasonable and is in fact loving in his own way. His frame of mind is simply incorrect though because his entire premise is wrong.

God bless

"I will bring you to the land not of questions but of answers,
and you shall see the face of God."

The Spirit to the Ghost;
C.S. Lewis The Great Divorce
Old Jul 9, '11, 3:04 pm
Banned

Cool Re: Why is John Macarthur so anti-catholic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_Catholic View Post
This is exactly the problem though. MacArthur believes the Catholic Church is at best apostate and at worse the whore of Babylonan and it is his belief that we must be saved and what he sees as the errors of Catholicism exposed. So he is, like you say, sticking to what he knows which is exactly the problem. From his frame of mind what he is doing is perfectly reasonable and is in fact loving in his own way. His frame of mind is simply incorrect though because his entire premise is wrong.

God bless
Ditto. I do not "pass judgement on J Mac....for PERSONAL beliefs..my issue, is his attacks are RABID and followed by many! Really my issue is less his beliefs as such, it is that he uses Cult/ANTICHRIST/DEMONIC.......so on on TV...Radio..Internet...a best selling Study Bible. Yes! I believe in freedom of thought and religion...HOWEVER....if he uses hatred...we are to respond...to my mind in a Loving manner and Prayer!! But respond non-the less......if someone opens fire on you do you say...lead is basic element hence his right...or do you take cover and hit the 9 double ones? Not a perfect analogy..but I am showing the (I admit) fine line between ones beliefs and how a belief construct is carried out...Pax.
Old Jul 9, '11, 10:18 pm
Banned

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_Catholic View Post

God bless
Interesting post, thanks.
Old Jul 10, '11, 7:47 am

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005

Where JM is concerned, Catholics should not feel like the Lone Ranger, so to speak. He doesn't have much good to say about Pentecostals, either (the tradition that I was raised in).

Sidebar: I've mentioned this before, but it was a Bible study/meditation method recommended by JM that got me started on the road to the Catholic Church. I wrote to thank him for his role in bringing me here (tongue only slightly in cheek), and he (or his staff) send me a two-CD set on the heresy of the Catholic Mass

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions