Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 9, '11, 11:01 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Question Catholics: Do you have a personal relationship with Our Lord Jesus Christ?

Read what Rev. Msgr. Richard L. Carroll, V.F. has to say:

Quote:
"As I read the sad statistics... that only 30% believe what the church teaches on the Real Presence of Christ, my mind went back to an earlier heresy - the Protestant Revolt. It was not the so called "selling of indulgences" that caused the painful break in our family. It was... [those] who no longer believed in the Real Presence..."

"When Catholics are asked, 'Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ?' they should answer a resounding YES! There is no closer union with Jesus than when you receive Him in the Eucharist. You too can say with St. Paul, '...and the life I now live is not my own CHRIST IS LIVING IN ME.' (Gal 2:20)"
Old Jul 9, '11, 11:09 am

Religion: Liberal (Cafeteria/Candle) Catholic
Default Re: Catholics: Do you have a personal relationship with Our Lord Jesus Christ?

I have a very personal relationship with God, the Blessed Virgin Mary and my guardian angel but not Jesus, as such
Old Jul 9, '11, 11:31 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholics: Do you have a personal relationship with Our Lord Jesus Christ?

Yes, I do

I will just quote from my website: http://prayerguidance.blogspot.com about personal relationship with Jesus

To pray is to love Jesus. Well, we cannot love Jesus without praying. Thus, we cannot love our neighbor without prayers too. Because Jesus is the source of love. He is love and mercy itself. We, are created in his image and likeness. Can you imagine that?

Image and likeness.

Contemplate that for a moment. What does it mean? Jesus, is the second person of the Holy Trinity. Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

The Father begot the Son in his image and likeness, and love him, with the same love with which he loves himself. And the love with which the Father love the Son, is called the Holy Spirit. Co-substantial, co-eternal.

We, are made in His Image and Likeness. Since God is love, thus, we are made to love and to be loved, by God.

Isn't that wonderful? That is why we have a longing to be loved. And sometimes, if we do not get that love from our closest ones, that is our parents, siblings, we can be hurt and feel empty inside. Thus, we start seeking that "love" some other else.

It is interesting that Madonna, when she was 7, her mother died. And it left such a big wound in her heart, and she said to herself, "If I cannot have my mother, I will be strong and independent." Later, her father remarried with a servant, and had 2 children, she was hurt too, because the love of the father didn't go to her. So, she went to new York, but unfortunately, she was raped. She was a catholic, by the way. Madonna, is the title of Our Lady.

Later on, in her vulgar shows, with inappropriate images, clothing, she wore crucifix and the rosary. She even went further by writing the inappropriate song lyrics, with the title of like a virgin (A virgin is held in high regard in the Catholic church, ie. the Virgin Mary). like a prayer, and Papa don't preach (which she intended for the Pope. The Pope is indeed her Father)

In all tribulations, we shouldn't lose faith. How is it that we foster our faith except through prayer.

But no, it is not your regular "Father, give me a new dress, a new car, a good job, a steady relationship, a spouse."

It's not a prayer, it is commanding Jesus. As if he was your servant, you commanded Him.

What prayer is, according to St. Teresa Avila, “Mental prayer in my opinion is nothing else than an intimate sharing between friends; it means taking time frequently to be alone with Him who we know loves us."

"You pay God a compliment by asking great things of Him."

'One must not think that a person who is suffering is not praying. He is offering up his sufferings to God, and many a time he is praying much more truly than one who goes away by himself and meditates his head off, and, if he has squeezed out a few tears, thinks that is prayer. "

"Suffering is a great favor. Remember that everything soon comes to an end . . . and take courage. Think of how our gain is eternal."

"Pain is never permanent."

"Truth suffers, but never dies."

"I am afraid that if we begin to put our trust in human help, some of our Divine help will fail us."

"Our greatest gain is to lose the wealth that is of such brief duration and, by comparison with eternal things, of such little worth; yet we get upset about it and our gain turns to loss."

"We can only learn to know ourselves and do what we can - namely, surrender our will and fulfill God's will in us."

"Christ has no body now, but yours.
No hands, no feet on earth, but yours.
Yours are the eyes through which
Christ looks compassion into the world.
Yours are the feet
with which Christ walks to do good.
Yours are the hands
with which Christ blesses the world."

"Remember that you have only one soul; that you have only one death to die; that you have only one life, which is short and has to be lived by you alone; and there is only one Glory, which is eternal. If you do this, there will be many things about which you care nothing. "

Let nothing trouble you,
let nothing frighten you.
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
He who possesses God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.

----

Well, that is prayer.

From a carmelite nun website:

According to St. Teresa of Jesus, prayer “is nothing else than an intimate sharing between friends”. Prayer: that one word says what Carmelite nuns are about throughout their lives. The intimate sharing St. Teresa speaks of can easily be understood when we think of someone we are close to, someone with whom no conversation is necessary in order for us to be happy and comfortable with them. That's what prayer is: a ‘being with’ the one Friend who will be there no matter what. However there is one extraordinary difference. When we cultivate friendship with Jesus Christ, there opens up within a whole new dimension of life, one of infinite depth and meaning. We truly find Him within us where He patiently waits to be discovered. The intimacy we have with Jesus is closer than any other intimacy ever could be. He is always the place where we receive life. In prayer we find the meaning of our life, and it is a meaning continually discovered.
Old Jul 9, '11, 11:48 am

Every time I yes to the question of, "The Body of Christ?" I am making a personal comitment to my Lord and savior Jesus
Old Jul 9, '11, 11:51 am

My answer to your question is YES.
How could I not? Prayer is all to do with relationship. Regardless it is a prayer of petition, intercession, thanksgiving, repentance, meditation, reflection, recollection, or contemplation, it is all to do with relationship. Without a true relationship, our prayers are merely empty and mindless words. If one has a authentic prayer life, one is bound to have a personal relationship with the Lord.
And none beside thee delights me on earth. (Psalm 73:25)

Old Jul 9, '11, 12:03 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7th one View Post
Every time I yes to the question of, "The Body of Christ?" I am making a personal comitment to my Lord and savior Jesus

It always has bothered me...that us kids get more truthful information on the package of a bread-wrapper or happy meal...than we get about abortions -kimmie

Common sense conservation hints shared here.
http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=732
Old Jul 9, '11, 1:01 pm

I am Catholic. I have an intimate body, blood, soul, and divinity totaly personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

I feel sorry for people who do not believe Jesus when He speaks of His body as being true food and His blood true drink.

If you're not Catholic and would like to experience Jesus TOTALY then run to the nearest Catholic priest and ask him what you should do to receive Jesus.

He will be more than happy to help!
Old Jul 9, '11, 2:13 pm
Banned

I try very hard, and sometimes it seems ludicrous to think I'm talking to a man who isn't there, when all the talking I do with men is with men who are there. Sometimes I fall down, but it becomes rather like reading letters sent by an old friend from far away. Once you get the letter, you are confirmed in your friendship and loyalty, and you are sure he still remembers you, but as the days go by and there is more silence you begin to wonder where your friend is. This happens with myself and our Lord, given the fact that He chose to manifest Himself more in others than by staying here physically with us forever.

To kneel down and talk to Christ, God and man, is extremely awesome in the mystical sense of the word. Firstly, I incline my head and intellectually visualise the Three Persons of the Trinity before me, and knowing that our Saviour is the one "closest" to me, followed by the Holy Spirit and the Father. Christ takes my hand every time and invites me in, out of the cold darkness. In a sense, only He is visible in the fire-lit drawing room, yet in Him I simply see our Father and His Spirit.

Christ our Lord is everything to me. Things I cannot possibly express to others, out of embarrassment, flow quickly and totally with Him around. When I think of the smiles on Christ's face during a birthday, or perhaps thinking of Him looking straight at me during the Sermon on the Mount, I say "thank you, my dear friend and my beloved God", because he calls me by name. Somehow God wants to be my friend, and the personal relationship is so intense that I must say "YES"!
Old Jul 9, '11, 3:48 pm

I have a personal relationship with my Lord Jesus. In fact it is so personal that he takes the form of bread and wine so that I can receive him physically into my body and be completely united to him. So my relationship with the Lord Jesus is beyond just personal, it's physical and therefore much more intimate!
Old Jul 9, '11, 5:27 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justicia et Pax View Post
I have a very personal relationship with God, the Blessed Virgin Mary and my guardian angel but not Jesus, as such
I see that as a problem.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Jul 9, '11, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyF View Post
I have a personal relationship with my Lord Jesus. In fact it is so personal that he takes the form of bread and wine so that I can receive him physically into my body and be completely united to him. So my relationship with the Lord Jesus is beyond just personal, it's physical and therefore much more intimate!
Yes! You don't "think" he's there; you KNOW he's there!
Old Jul 9, '11, 7:07 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Yes- and it's complicated.

++++++++++++++++++James 2:13+++++++++++++++++++++
Old Jul 9, '11, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild thing View Post
Yes- and it's complicated.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality