Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Do Non-Catholics go to Heaven?
Yes 78 42.86%
No 12 6.59%
Yes, but only Non-Catholic Christians 11 6.04%
Only God knows 81 44.51%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Jul 11, '11, 3:23 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question Do Non-Catholics go to Heaven?

What are your thought?

Are you a proud Hispanic Catholic too? Come join the group!

http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1318
Old Jul 11, '11, 4:05 pm

Default Re: Do Non-Catholics go to Heaven?

One priest I respect put it this way:
Heaven includes one free Church membership.
Old Jul 11, '11, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post
One priest I respect put it this way:
Heaven includes one free Church membership.
That is great. I love that.
Old Jul 11, '11, 4:30 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic since 1963

Yes. Non-Catholics go to Heaven. I can't recall the exact Catholic teaching on the matter, but the Catholic Church DOES NOT teach that only Catholics can experience the beatific vision (Heaven). However, if a Muslim, Buddhist, Mormon, Pentecostal, Baptist, etc. gets to Heaven, it is through Jesus and only through Jesus. This seems impossible, but it is true and accurate. God's mercy is limitless, unending, and down right difficult to grasp. Thank God!

Peace of Christ,
Roman63
Old Jul 11, '11, 4:53 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Old School)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman63 View Post
Yes. Non-Catholics go to Heaven. I can't recall the exact Catholic teaching on the matter, but the Catholic Church DOES NOT teach that only Catholics can experience the beatific vision (Heaven). However, if a Muslim, Buddhist, Mormon, Pentecostal, Baptist, etc. gets to Heaven, it is through Jesus and only through Jesus. This seems impossible, but it is true and accurate. God's mercy is limitless, unending, and down right difficult to grasp. Thank God!

Peace of Christ,
Roman63
The only thing that I would add to this is by saying that the way people of other faiths can be saved and go to Heaven, is through the action and prayers of the Catholic Church, thus the teaching (and confusion) that there is 'no salvation outside the Catholic Church'. At least, that's the way I understand it.
Old Jul 11, '11, 5:09 pm
Greeter

Religion: Katholikos

Absolutely they can.

God bless

"I will bring you to the land not of questions but of answers,
and you shall see the face of God."

The Spirit to the Ghost;
C.S. Lewis The Great Divorce
Old Jul 11, '11, 5:33 pm

Matthew 25:31 till the end of chapter 25 seems to spell out Jesus' plan for who will make it to heaven and who won't. Clearly the only Way to heaven is through Jesus, but He seems to be pretty clear that that has nothing to do with praising Him or faith in Him, but rather in feeding Him, giving Him drink and visiting Him in the hospital or prison.

Of course, being human I could have this all wrong. We'll find out by and by.

God bless

See all; close a charitable eye to most of it; make corrections little by little.

JohnXXIII
Old Jul 12, '11, 9:03 am

I would say yes. It is only my opinion, but I feel that followers of other pieces of chrisitanity are innocent in not knowing the heresies and such of their churches. I'm not so sure the fate of those who actually founded these churches and led people astray. As we say, only God knows a person's true heart.
Old Jul 12, '11, 2:08 pm

Non-Catholics are still seeking the truth, even though it might not be the complete truth. God would not condemn an earnest seeker right? "Knock and the door will be open to you, seek and you will find" no one can be saved without Christ and His infinite mercy. No one is saved outside the Church either, baptism is necessary. But the Church teaches that God grants special baptisms to those who didn't know that importance of baptism but would have desired to be baptized if they were granted this knowledge.
Old Jul 12, '11, 3:11 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I answered 'only God knows' but I feel the answer is somewhere between that and 'yes'. Generally I believe that the Catholic Church has the salvation earned for us by Christ. But that is not to say there are those outside the Church who find Christ but through no fault of their own cannot join the Church/do not know of the Church. I feel it is entirely possible that there are some in Heaven who were not necessarily Catholic in life but in the end God is the judge and I trust that He is fair and merciful.

My blog
Old Jul 12, '11, 5:20 pm

Religion: Solitary practitioner Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingtheway View Post
What are your thought?
Yes but only non catholics is a choice? You're slayin me here! hahahahaa
Old Jul 12, '11, 5:48 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

I have read several books written by/ describing experiences of people that experienced Heaven and /or had a personal encounter with Jesus. None of them were Catholic.

There are currently multiple reports of Jesus appearing to people in strict Muslim countries where Christianity is forbidden. None of those people mention anything about Catholicism.

I know a 14 yr old boy who's best friend (again, not Catholic) recently died. He is being raised by single Christian mom, not Catholic. The boy told his mom that he had wondered and worried about his friend that he missed so much... he said that he saw Jesus and his friend and that his friend talked to him and told him not to worry or be concerned ... he said he was in heaven and described a wonderful place and he talked about the amazing love he experienced from everyone there...
Old Jul 12, '11, 7:15 pm

Just out of curiosity, why do you put up polls with no room for the proper nuance required? All men have the possibility of salvation as long as they do not deny God's grace. The Sacraments make it much, much easier to accept that grace. I don't know where this answer fits into your poll
Old Jul 12, '11, 8:11 pm
Banned

The Catholic Church is only 2000 years old but Gods spiritual rhelm is millions or rather billions of years old and the universe is rather large. Jesus and Christ are names that were not even used 2000 years ago.His name was pronounced differently back in the time of His life. Man has been on earth 10s of thousands of years, some of the beliefs in judaism only started 2 or 3000 years ago and any spiritual realm that exists now existed 10000 years ago. The Church did not invent or find anything that was not there a million years ago and our salvation does not hinge on the last 1600 or 2000 years of history, Man has been worshipping God and thinking about the thereafter for at least 10,000 years. No political entity, king or group of Priests control God or where people go after they die. Jesus or rather Yeshua or the Son of God was an Essene, obviously He was not a pharacee or Saducee and many of the early Christians were Essenes. The Essenes do not and never did believe the way Catholics do, in fact there is an apparent discrepency between what 'Christ' seemed to practice and what Catholics promote or allowed. Essenes ruines have no meat in the dumps and teachings or writings seem to indicate vegetarianism( I think this was found in ruins rather recently)-- there is evidence Christ was an avid vegetarian yet for His feast days we all eat his beloved friends the lamb plus other animals and we eat as much as we can-- the church even allows meat on fast days. There is real evidence the Son of God was against meat eating. Some of the non Catholic people may be following the Lord better than the Catholics are!! I grew up a Catholic who ate meat 3 times a day living off of the misery of other creatures when other food was available. I have given up meat but we better forget aboth saving others, I think we in the Christian world are way off track- we better hope the Savior is merciful because we may be the biggest sinners of all. The' second coming' is coming- not to convert the Moslems or the Hindus but to re-teach the Son of God's ways to Christianity which has fallen away from God!Forget about who is saved or not and save your own soul sister and brother! See my blog at papalmass.blogspot.com I have a comparison of the old and new mass there but it could be that if we go to any Mass every day but not live as the Savior did we have a slim chance for any good afterlife.
Old Jul 12, '11, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyuha View Post
The Catholic Church is only 2000 years old but Gods spiritual rhelm is millions or rather billions of years old and the universe is rather large. Jesus and Christ are names that were not even used 2000 years ago.His name was pronounced differently back in the time of His life. Man has been on earth 10s of thousands of years, some of the beliefs in judaism only started 2 or 3000 years ago and any spiritual realm that exists now existed 10000 years ago. The Church did not invent or find anything that was not there a million years ago and our salvation does not hinge on the last 1600 or 2000 years of history, Man has been worshipping God and thinking about the thereafter for at least 10,000 years. No political entity, king or group of Priests control God or where people go after they die. Jesus or rather Yeshua or the Son of God was an Essene, obviously He was not a pharacee or Saducee and many of the early Christians were Essenes. The Essenes do not and never did believe the way Catholics do, in fact there is an apparent discrepency between what 'Christ' seemed to practice and what Catholics promote or allowed. Essenes ruines have no meat in the dumps and teachings or writings seem to indicate vegetarianism( I think this was found in ruins rather recently)-- there is evidence Christ was an avid vegetarian yet for His feast days we all eat his beloved friends the lamb plus other animals and we eat as much as we can-- the church even allows meat on fast days. There is real evidence the Son of God was against meat eating. Some of the non Catholic people may be following the Lord better than the Catholics are!! I grew up a Catholic who ate meat 3 times a day living off of the misery of other creatures when other food was available. I have given up meat but we better forget aboth saving others, I think we in the Christian world are way off track- we better hope the Savior is merciful because we may be the biggest sinners of all. The' second coming' is coming- not to convert the Moslems or the Hindus but to re-teach the Son of God's ways to Christianity which has fallen away from God!Forget about who is saved or not and save your own soul sister and brother! See my blog at papalmass.blogspot.com I have a comparison of the old and new mass there but it could be that if we go to any Mass every day but not live as the Savior did we have a slim chance for any good afterlife.
Wait so are the Essenes right because you claim they practiced what Christ practiced? Or are they wrong because man has been seeking God for tens of thousands of years in different ways than they did?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions