Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 14, '11, 7:04 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Vladamir Soloviev: Antichrist, Cardinal Biffi and Great Monarch Prophecies

Has anyone read the "Story of the Antichrist" by the great 19th century Russian Orthodox mystic and philosopher Solonviev? This man was praised by John Paul II and is often referred too favourably by Pope Benedict XVI.

In 2007 Cardinal Biffi caused a bit of a stir when he claimed, based on Solonviev's writings, that the Antichrist was among us. Now I personally don't approve of "Apocalyptic", Evangelical-like craziness, however I do think that Solonviev paints an Antichrist image that is quite "believable" - which is why it worries me a bit. Because it doesn't actually sound like Evangelical, crazy NWO apocalyticism.

I was wondering if anybody had noticed some eerie similarities between Solonviev's Antichrist and the Great Monarch prophesised by certain Catholic mystics down the centuries? Could these Catholic mystics have got it wrong and could the Great Monarch actually be the antichrist? Or is a long period of Catholic peace possible in the future, before the advent of the antichrist?

In Soloviev's tale, the Antichrist is elected president of the United States of Europe, acclaimed as emperor in Rome, takes possession of the entire world, and finally imposes his command even over the life and organization of the Churches. He is proclaimed as pacifist, egalitarian, vegetarian etc. But what Cardinal Biffi calls to attention is not this series of events, but rather the personal characteristics of the Antichrist, I think.

I also don't get the order of events in the "End Times". We Catholics don't believe in a future millenium, and yet the Book of Revelation says that antichrist will come BEFORE the Millenium. But if the Church's current reign on earth is the millenium, then how can we still expect an antichrist to come? And where do Gog and Magog fit into this?

You can read Solonviev's "Antichrist" here: http://www.goodcatholicbooks.org/antichrist.html

Please read it and comment on it!

In Benedict's Book [i]Jesus of Nazareth [/I ]he makes mention of Solonviev's Antichrist.

Also see this article: http://minnea.blogspot.com/2008/11/s...ntichrist.html

Excerpt:

In his final work, The Three Dialogues and the Story of the Antichrist (finished on Easter Sunday 1900), one is struck by how clearly Soloviev foresaw that the 20th century would be "the epoch of great wars, civil strife and revolutions." All this, he said, would prepare the way for the disappearance of "the old structure of separate nations" and "almost everywhere the remains of the ancient monarchical institutions would disappear." This would pave the way for a "United States of Europe."

The accuracy of Soloviev╣s vision of the great crisis that would strike Christianity at the end of the 20th century is astonishing. He represents this crisis using the figure of the Antichrist. This fascinating personage will succeed in influencing and persuading almost everyone. It is not difficult to see in this figure of Soloviev the reflection, almost the incarnation, of the confused and ambiguous religiosity of our time.

The Antichrist will be a "convinced spiritualist," Soloviev says, an admirable philanthropist, a committed, active pacifist, a practicing vegetarian, a determined defender of animal rights. He will not be hostile "in principle" to Christ. Indeed, he will appreciate Christ's teaching. But he will reject the teaching that Christ is unique, and will deny that Christ is risen and alive today.

One sees here described a Christianity of "values," of "openings," of "dialogue," a Christianity where it seems there is little room left for the person of the Son of God crucified for us and risen, little room for the actual event of salvation. A scenario, I think, that should cause us to reflect..."
"...Everyone who has joined the ranks of Christ must be a glowing point of light in the world, a nucleus of love, a leaven of the whole mass. He will be so in proportion to his degree of spiritual union with God..."

- Blessed Pope John XXIII, Pacem in Terris (1963)

Last edited by Vouthon; Jul 14, '11 at 7:21 am.
Old Jul 14, '11, 7:24 am

Default Re: Vladamir Soloviev: Antichrist, Cardinal Biffi and Great Monarch Prophecies

Finally, here's is a link to Cardinal Biffi's 2000 lecture titled, "Soloviev and Our Time":http://www.christendom-awake.org/pag...iev/biffi.html
"...Everyone who has joined the ranks of Christ must be a glowing point of light in the world, a nucleus of love, a leaven of the whole mass. He will be so in proportion to his degree of spiritual union with God..."

Old Jul 14, '11, 8:18 am

Default Re: Vladamir Soloviev: Antichrist, Cardinal Biffi and Great Monarch Prophecies

Now that your all clued up (hopefully) on Soloviev's "Antichrist" - lets contrast and compare him with the Great Monarch...

Private Catholic prophecies predict that a Great Monarch and a Holy Pope will lead the world out of a great world tragedy and establish universal peace. "This shall re-establish a peace and prosperity without precedent." (St. John-Mary Vianney, Curé of Ars, 19th Century) "O sweetest peace! Thy fruits will multiply until the End of Time!" (St. Caesar).

St. Caesar of Arles (469-543) "At the same time there will be a great Pope, who will be most eminent in sanctity and most perfect in every quality. This Pope shall have with him, the Great Monarch, a most virtuous man who shall be a scion of the holy race of the French kings. This Great Monarch will assist the Pope in the reformation of the whole earth...There will be one common law, one only faith, one baptism, one religion. All nations shall recognize the Holy See of Rome, and shall pay homage to the Pope."

...Methinks he sounds quiet eeirily like Soloviev's Antichrist. But how could Catholic saints and blesseds inadvertantly predict (and promote) Antichrist?

I can't believe this. So I'm rather confused

Old Jul 14, '11, 8:36 am
Banned

Religion: Raised Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vouthon View Post
Has anyone read the "Story of the Antichrist" by the great 19th century Russian Orthodox mystic and philosopher Solonviev? This man was praised by John Paul II and is often referred too favourably by Pope Benedict XVI.

In 2007 Cardinal Biffi caused a bit of a stir when he claimed, based on Solonviev's writings, that the Antichrist was among us. Now I personally don't approve of "Apocalyptic", Evangelical-like craziness, however I do think that Solonviev paints an Antichrist image that is quite "believable" - which is why it worries me a bit. Because it doesn't actually sound like Evangelical, crazy NWO apocalyticism.

I was wondering if anybody had noticed some eerie similarities between Solonviev's Antichrist and the Great Monarch prophesised by certain Catholic mystics down the centuries? Could these Catholic mystics have got it wrong and could the Great Monarch actually be the antichrist? Or is a long period of Catholic peace possible in the future, before the advent of the antichrist?

In Soloviev's tale, the Antichrist is elected president of the United States of Europe, acclaimed as emperor in Rome, takes possession of the entire world, and finally imposes his command even over the life and organization of the Churches. He is proclaimed as pacifist, egalitarian, vegetarian etc. But what Cardinal Biffi calls to attention is not this series of events, but rather the personal characteristics of the Antichrist, I think.

I also don't get the order of events in the "End Times". We Catholics don't believe in a future millenium, and yet the Book of Revelation says that antichrist will come BEFORE the Millenium. But if the Church's current reign on earth is the millenium, then how can we still expect an antichrist to come? And where do Gog and Magog fit into this?

You can read Solonviev's "Antichrist" here: http://www.goodcatholicbooks.org/antichrist.html

Please read it and comment on it!

In Benedict's Book [i]Jesus of Nazareth [/I ]he makes mention of Solonviev's Antichrist.

Also see this article: http://minnea.blogspot.com/2008/11/s...ntichrist.html

Excerpt:

In his final work, The Three Dialogues and the Story of the Antichrist (finished on Easter Sunday 1900), one is struck by how clearly Soloviev foresaw that the 20th century would be "the epoch of great wars, civil strife and revolutions." All this, he said, would prepare the way for the disappearance of "the old structure of separate nations" and "almost everywhere the remains of the ancient monarchical institutions would disappear." This would pave the way for a "United States of Europe."

The accuracy of Soloviev╣s vision of the great crisis that would strike Christianity at the end of the 20th century is astonishing. He represents this crisis using the figure of the Antichrist. This fascinating personage will succeed in influencing and persuading almost everyone. It is not difficult to see in this figure of Soloviev the reflection, almost the incarnation, of the confused and ambiguous religiosity of our time.

The Antichrist will be a "convinced spiritualist," Soloviev says, an admirable philanthropist, a committed, active pacifist, a practicing vegetarian, a determined defender of animal rights. He will not be hostile "in principle" to Christ. Indeed, he will appreciate Christ's teaching. But he will reject the teaching that Christ is unique, and will deny that Christ is risen and alive today.

One sees here described a Christianity of "values," of "openings," of "dialogue," a Christianity where it seems there is little room left for the person of the Son of God crucified for us and risen, little room for the actual event of salvation. A scenario, I think, that should cause us to reflect..."
I heard of Cardinal Biffi's take on the Antichrist through Jack Van Impe (to give proper credit). It opened my eyes to what the AC could be like, not the blood-thirsty warrior that popular culture paints him as. The United States of Europe, aka The European Union, would be a likely political entity that the AC would use to appear on the world stage and mesmerize us with his solutions to apparently unsolvable problems (think peace between Israel-Palestine, hunger, poverty, religious strife etc.) Javier Solana is thought by some to be it, and there are some eerie details about him (resolution 666 among others and his astoundingly quick rise to power from a "mere" minister in Spain to Nato leadership etc,). I personally look at the EU as a likely political entity for the AC to come from.

Now perhaps you've noticed it or not, but in Catholic circles people dislike talking about the AC and the endtimes, falsely assuming we're trying to set a date and fall into a frenzy looking for signs, but the New Testament gives us signs so that we can know what season we're in, so to speak. So I full expect platitudes like "We don't know and should not try to know", or my "favourite": "We should be more concerned about our own end than about the end of the world/times". Good luck anyhow.
Old Jul 18, '11, 2:49 pm

Religion: Catholic

To these questions you pose, "I also don't get the order of events in the "End Times". We Catholics don't believe in a future millenium, and yet the Book of Revelation says that antichrist will come BEFORE the Millenium. But if the Church's current reign on earth is the millenium, then how can we still expect an antichrist to come? And where do Gog and Magog fit into this?"

Revelation chapter 20 has your answer (as well as other places in the Bible that say similar things)

The current time is the Age of the Church, the building up of St. Augustine's City of God in the world by preaching the Gospel to all nations.

Rev 20 (and the catechism also) says Satan is strong and tempts us but his full power is actually restrained (implying that w/o this restraint the Gospel would not have had a chance to spread since he was very powerful until the death/resurrection of Jesus).

But just before the Last Day and final judgment, Satan will be 'released from his chains' for a short time - i.e. much of hiw power will be restored, to try one last time to destroy Jesus' Church via persecution and apostasy, at the time of the end. Those leaders who follow Satan, and their subjects - gog and magog - will try to wipe out the Church of Jesus. But before that happens, Jesus returns and saves His people and throws Satan and his followers into hell forever, and the dead rise and all are judged by Jesus, and the earth is restored to its original created glory ("new heaven and new earth") and Jesus dwells with mankind forever.

The thousand years of Rev 20 are not literal - they symbolize the Church Age, which is now.

Hope that helps.

God bless you.
Old Jul 28, '11, 3:24 pm

Ask your questions on The End Times Speculation posts.
There are those in that group which can help make sense of it.
God bless you on your journey.

It is in the Back Fence section.

Cherie
Mary, Help of Christians, pray for us!
St. John Bosco
Old Jul 28, '11, 4:10 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vouthon View Post
I admit, I have never hear of Soloniev.. Would you be willing to provide some sources indicating that Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict hold Solonviev's views in high regard?
Old Jul 30, '11, 3:14 pm
Banned

Religion: Raised Catholic

Life, she is full of surprises: I thought this thread was doomed from day one.

Dale_M I think you might be interested in this http://www.christendom-awake.org/pag...iev/biffi.html
Old Jul 30, '11, 3:49 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertanthony View Post
Dale_M I think you might be interested in this http://www.christendom-awake.org/pag...iev/biffi.html
Thank you. it was an interesting read.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence