Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 15, '11, 3:19 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Why won't Catholic Apologists debate James White?

I was on the chatroom of his ministry, and he listed off Keating, Staples, Akin, and others as not wanting to debate him. It appears that he think that it's because they can't handle that the (in his words) "facts are the facts". Why won't Catholic Apologists such as the ones I've mentioned and others not debate James White?
"Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others" (1 Cor. 10:24)

"To defend his purity, Saint Francis of Assisi rolled in the snow, Saint Benedict threw himself into a thornbush, Saint Bernard plunged into an icy pond... You...what have you done?"
- St. Josemaria Escriva

Old Jul 15, '11, 3:23 pm

Default Re: Why won't Catholic Apologists debate James White?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruxis117 View Post
I was on the chatroom of his ministry, and he listed off Keating, Staples, Akin, and others as not wanting to debate him. It appears that he think that it's because they can't handle that the (in his words) "facts are the facts". Why won't Catholic Apologists such as the ones I've mentioned and others not debate James White?
They have debated him so many times already.
Old Jul 15, '11, 3:47 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

What, the guy seriously doesn't remember Patrick Madrid taking him behind the woodshed on Sola Scriptura? He wants a second chance?

Hooray!
Old Jul 15, '11, 4:02 pm

Talking Re: Why won't Catholic Apologists debate James White?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFilmer View Post
What, the guy seriously doesn't remember Patrick Madrid taking him behind the woodshed on Sola Scriptura? He wants a second chance?
Exactly! I was thinking the same thing!!!!

Are you a proud Hispanic Catholic too? Come join the group!

http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1318
Old Jul 15, '11, 4:10 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

It always has bothered me...that us kids get more truthful information on the package of a bread-wrapper or happy meal...than we get about abortions -kimmie

Common sense conservation hints shared here.
http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=732
Old Jul 15, '11, 4:15 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Revert to Traditional Roman Catholic

Quote:
His chatroom falselly suggests Catholic Apologists have avoided White, good pr but false. White only wants publicity, and is not worthy of it. We have more important things to do.
Old Jul 15, '11, 4:44 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
I heard JW desperately wants to debate Scott Hahn, issueing several challenges to him, but Hahn would not bite.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=110379

foubd the article.....http://matt1618.freeyellow.com/jwsola.html.

James White spends much time attacking Catholics, both professional Apologists, debaters. It must be admitted that he is one of the most effective Protestant apologists around; nevertheless, after being shown that he is wrong, whether it be on justification, sola Scriptura, etc. his usual retort is that the person is uneducated on the issue, or misrepresentative of his views. He seems to have an arrogance that shows that he is himself to be infallible, while opponents are just not with it. In order to distract attention from the errors that he is shown, he will often go on an ad-hominem attack mode, divert attention, and thus belittle his opponents. Other Catholics that have emailed him questions and comments (on his book or web-page attacks on Catholicism) show his responses to many times be terse and unresponsive to the points shown him.,

White on his web page attack on Catholicism uses the same tactics on those Catholic apologists who have debated him of the highest caliber, such as Pat Madrid, Tim Staples, and Bob Sungenis. He attacks articles written by recent converts such as Stephen Ray and David Palm as them misrepresenting the Protestant position of Sola Scriptura. Of course, there are differing Protestant views of what exactly Sola Scriptura means. Ironically, in his rebuttals, White will often himself misrepresent or misunderstand what his opponent is saying.

Here I want to focus on the letter that White sent to Tim Staples, after they had a debate on Sola Scriptura. This can be found here. After reading the letter by White, I would not be surprised if Staples wants no further contacts with the man.

I listened to the debate between Tim Staples and James White on Sola Scriptura, and I encourage anybody to get it. In White’s letter to Staples you would think that all Staples did was misrepresent White, and White really showed him! After listening to this debate, I thought to myself, is this the same debate that he is writing about?

Before I get to the contents of his letter to Staples, I will comment on what White conveniently left out of his commentary on the debate. He never answered Staple’s points on two important things: 1) Where does the bible teach anywhere that the Word of God for after the apostolic age is reduced to writing? Where does the bible anywhere say one must hold only to the written word? If White can not provide an answer to these questions Sola Scriptura is absolutely false (Of course Sola Scriptura has many more weaknesses than this). White did not even pretend to provide an answer to this burning question. How did White in the debate deal with 2 Thes. 2:15? “Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.” First, White argues that this is not a command! Say what? Paul writes “Stand fast, and hold the traditions.” If we read the context of Chapter 2, Paul is writing about not falling into deception (about making sure that people not be deceived vv. 3-12). What is to prevent these people from being deceived? V. 15 explains quite clearly that Paul COMMANDS the Thessalonians to STAND FAST AND HOLD THE TRADITIONS, whether written OR ORAL. This is what prevents them from falling into deception. The oral AS WELL AS the written tradition. So Whites’ argument that this is not a command is nonsense. When challenged by Staples he provided no biblical quotation or reasoning that Paul says to stop having oral tradition as binding, but continue to hold on to scripture as the only binding, infallible rule of faith.
Old Jul 15, '11, 5:20 pm

Religion: Industrial Strength Catholic

Hi y'all, James White's father is/was also a Reformed Baptist preacher. White's parents and his sister were as anti-Catholic as he is. But she attended Mass for the first time with the idea of converting the friend who invited her. She was literally overcome by the Real Presence in the Eucharist, then read her way into the Church. James White's specious arguments couldn't keep even his own sister, Patty Bonds, away from the Truth.

If you know logic, his arguments are empty.

You can read his sister's conversion stories here (they're listed alphabetically by first name):

http://www.catholic-convert.com/comm...rsion-stories/

•Patty Bond's Revised Story: Includes Sexual Abuse story and about her brother James White

•Patty Bonds Conversion Story: Part II

•Patty Bonds's Story: James White's Sister from Anti-Catholic Baptist to Lover of the Catholic Church

Many Catholic apologists have debated James White. You'll find several of the Robert Sungenis - James White debates here.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=sungeni...ox&FORM=IE8SRC

I am not a supporter of Sungenis, but he's a good debater. He has other debates online -- Matt Slick, for example. Also Father Mitch Pacwa of EWTN has debated White. James hasn't lacked for Catholic opposition. White is a professional anti-Catholic. That's how he makes his living. He lives in my city (and so does his sister, who attends my parish where she has taught RCIA).

Jim Dandy
Old Jul 15, '11, 9:04 pm
Forum Master
Radio Club Member

On White's own website bio page, he has listed some 30+ debates he's done with Catholic apologists. The job is done. Overdone. Enough of White's failures against Catholicism have been exposed. The ongoing notion that "Catholics won't debate him" is self-evident delusion. A better question is now is why would anyone continue to debate him.

Here's a sampling of some of his errors.
Old Jul 15, '11, 10:43 pm

Religion: Raised Catholic but not sure what I believe now

Where can I read the debate on sola scripture?
Old Jul 16, '11, 1:02 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablope View Post
I heard JW desperately wants to debate Scott Hahn, issueing several challenges to him, but Hahn would not bite.
WHAT??? James White has debated Scott Hahn at least a half-dozen times. Search YouTube for "James White" "Scott Hahn"

Dr. Hahn is the MOST frequent debater of James White that I can discern from a cursory scan of YouTube video posts. And Dr. Hahn is (IMHO) THE Catholic "Big Gun." And (as you can see from these posts) Hahn demolished the poor guy.

Does James White want MORE whupping? Is he asking for a second chance?

Hooray!

Last edited by Michael Francis; Jan 7, '12 at 5:28 pm.
Old Jul 16, '11, 1:22 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
WHAT??? James White has debated Scott Hahn at least a half-dozen times. Search YouTube for "James White" "Scott Hahn"

Dr. Hahn is the MOST frequent debater of James White that I can discern from a cursory scan of YouTube video posts. And Dr. Hahn is (IMHO) THE Catholic "Big Gun." And (as you can see from these posts) Hahn demolished the poor guy.

I can't seem to find any of these posts. Can you help me out and provide some links? It's much appreciated.
"Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others" (1 Cor. 10:24)

"To defend his purity, Saint Francis of Assisi rolled in the snow, Saint Benedict threw himself into a thornbush, Saint Bernard plunged into an icy pond... You...what have you done?"
- St. Josemaria Escriva

Last edited by Michael Francis; Jan 7, '12 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jul 16, '11, 2:26 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
I can't seem to find any of these posts. Can you help me out and provide some links? It's much appreciated.
Wow, you are right. Neither can I. I swear that I had found many video posts with these terms, but I closed this browser tab. When I searched again, I found none.

Either this is some giant conspiracy (which I doubt) or I am a complete idiot (which is far more likely).

I withdraw my claims (until I can find them substantiated in some other place).

Hooray!
Old Jul 16, '11, 8:00 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:

Ok....I was not aware of that he has debated JW....I just came across a write up that Hahn did not want to because of JWs brashness. I could not locate it again. I would like to see those debates, or hear them, if you can provide a link.

I researched You tube and could not locate them. I did come across Keating vs Ruckman (?) and Keating vs the Iglesia ni Kristo...which made me chuckle quite a bit.

Last edited by Michael Francis; Jan 7, '12 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jul 16, '11, 8:02 am

Quote:
I haven't read the other replies here but I can tell you that there is probably one primary reason [b]its been done[b]. Another might be that he is such a sophist that he is tiring. In my past life I discussed matters religious (can't really call it debating) with him. It is easy to counter his specious arguing in a written debate in email or on a blog etc. That is the reason he won't debate that way. Ask him

Annie
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics