Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 16, '11, 7:38 am

Religion: Agnostic
Send a message via Yahoo to Irishgal49
Default Difference between chastity and celibacy?

Good Morning,

I am wanting to know, is there a difference between chastity and celibacy? Can someone explain this to me, please? I want to know what I'm asking the Blessed Mother to help me with and I'm not sure about whether or not there is a difference in the two.

I heard someone saying that nuns take a vow of chastity while priests take a vow of celibacy. Is this true?

God Bless and Thanks,

Lorrie
Old Jul 16, '11, 9:30 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to HerrZJA
Default Re: Difference between chastity and celibacy?

From my understanding, Chastity is living within chaste bounds as a layperson, whereas celibacy refers to the stricter, lifelong vows professed by priests and religious orders.

My understanding is that Chastity offers the possibility of marriage (and the things that come with it) whereas celibacy is a permanent state.
Old Jul 16, '11, 9:36 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgal49 View Post
Good Morning,

I am wanting to know, is there a difference between chastity and celibacy? Can someone explain this to me, please? I want to know what I'm asking the Blessed Mother to help me with and I'm not sure about whether or not there is a difference in the two.

I heard someone saying that nuns take a vow of chastity while priests take a vow of celibacy. Is this true?

God Bless and Thanks,

Lorrie
Most definitely.you can be married an live a chaste life.But celibacy is going without sexual relations.A person can be both chaste and celibate.In fact anyone who is celibate is probably chaste.but no always.One can forgo sexual relations and still be unchaste.Mayve like the dirty old man.
Old Jul 16, '11, 7:20 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

One may have relations within the bounds of marriage in a chaste life. In a celibate life one may never have relations.
Old Jul 16, '11, 8:38 pm

Chaste refers to proper use of one's sexuality according to your state in life. All are called to chastity no matter your state in life.
l
Celebate means not being married (also no sex, just to be clear). This applies to most, but not all, priests and religious.

Continent refers to married couples not having relations, eg, while TTA using NFP. They may have relations and are able to but don't.
Christianity is not about building a secure little niche in the world where you can live with your perfect little wife and your perfect little children in your beautiful little house where you have no gays or minority groups anywhere near you. Christianity is about learning to love like Jesus loved
Old Jul 17, '11, 7:25 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Modern Catholic Dictionary:

CHASTITY. The virtue that moderates the desire for sexual pleasure according to the principles of faith and right reason. In married people, chastity moderates the desire in conformity with their state of life; in unmarried people who wish to marry, the desire is moderated by abstention until (or unless) they get married; in those who resolve not to marry, the desire is sacrificed entirely.

Chastity and purity, modesty and decency are comparable in that they have the basic meaning of freedom from whatever is lewd or salacious. Yet they also differ. Chastity implies an opposition to the immoral in the sense of lustful or licentious. It suggests refraining from all acts or thoughts that are not in accordance with the Church's teaching about the use of one's reproductive powers. It particularly stresses restraint and an avoidance of anything that might defile or make unclean the soul because the body has not been controlled in the exercise of its most imperious passion. (Etym. Latin castus, morally pure, unstained.)

CELIBACY. The state of being unmarried and, in Church usage, of one who has never been married. Catholicism distinguishes between lay and ecclesiastical celibacy, and in both cases a person freely chooses for religious reasons to remain celibate.

Lay celibacy was practiced already in the early Church. The men were called "the continent" (continentes) and women "virgins" (virgines). They were also known as ascetics who were encouraged to follow this form of life by St. Paul. According to the Apostle, "An unmarried man can devote himself to the Lord's affairs, all he need worry about is pleasing the Lord . . . In the same way an unmarried woman, like a young girl, can devote herself to the Lord's affairs; all she need worry about is being holy in body and spirit" (I Corinthians 7:32, 34). Throughout history the Church has fostered a celibate life in the lay state. Towering among the means of sanctity available to the laity, declared the Second Vatican Council, "is that precious gift of divine grace given to some by the Father to devote themselves to God alone more easily with an undivided heart in virginity or celibacy. This perfect continence for love of the kingdom of heaven has always been held in high esteem by the Church as a sign and stimulus of love, and as a singular source of spiritual fertility in the world" (Constitution on the Church, 42).

Ecclesiastical celibacy was a logical development of Christ's teaching about continence (Matthew 19:10-12). The first beginnings of religious life were seen in the self-imposed practice of celibacy among men and women who wished to devote themselves to a lifetime following Christ in the practice of the evangelical counsels. Celibacy was one of the features of the earliest hermits and a requirement of the first monastic foundations under St. Pachomius (c. 290-346). Over the centuries religious celibacy has been the subject of the Church's frequent legislation. The Second Vatican Council named chastity first among the evangelical counsels to be practiced by religious and said that "it is a special symbol of heavenly benefits, and for religious it is a most effective means of dedicating themselves wholeheartedly to the divine service and the works of the apostolate" (Decree on the Up-to-date Renewal of Religious Life, 12). (Etym. Latin caelibatus, single life, celibacy.)
Old Jul 17, '11, 7:33 am

Quote:
On 1 Tim. 3:2 - A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife…
Though a catholic myself, the above scriptural text always puzzled me. What it means ? I understand that our early fathers were married and it was much later celibacy was enforced in the Latin rite.
Old Jul 17, '11, 4:33 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singapore Nick View Post
Though a catholic myself, the above scriptural text always puzzled me. What it means ? I understand that our early fathers were married and it was much later celibacy was enforced in the Latin rite.
http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?ti..._of_the_Clergy
Old Jul 18, '11, 3:05 am

Religion: Agnostic
Send a message via Yahoo to Irishgal49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Modern Catholic Dictionary:

CHASTITY. The virtue that moderates the desire for sexual pleasure according to the principles of faith and right reason. In married people, chastity moderates the desire in conformity with their state of life; in unmarried people who wish to marry, the desire is moderated by abstention until (or unless) they get married; in those who resolve not to marry, the desire is sacrificed entirely.

Chastity and purity, modesty and decency are comparable in that they have the basic meaning of freedom from whatever is lewd or salacious. Yet they also differ. Chastity implies an opposition to the immoral in the sense of lustful or licentious. It suggests refraining from all acts or thoughts that are not in accordance with the Church's teaching about the use of one's reproductive powers. It particularly stresses restraint and an avoidance of anything that might defile or make unclean the soul because the body has not been controlled in the exercise of its most imperious passion. (Etym. Latin castus, morally pure, unstained.)

CELIBACY. The state of being unmarried and, in Church usage, of one who has never been married. Catholicism distinguishes between lay and ecclesiastical celibacy, and in both cases a person freely chooses for religious reasons to remain celibate.

Lay celibacy was practiced already in the early Church. The men were called "the continent" (continentes) and women "virgins" (virgines). They were also known as ascetics who were encouraged to follow this form of life by St. Paul. According to the Apostle, "An unmarried man can devote himself to the Lord's affairs, all he need worry about is pleasing the Lord . . . In the same way an unmarried woman, like a young girl, can devote herself to the Lord's affairs; all she need worry about is being holy in body and spirit" (I Corinthians 7:32, 34). Throughout history the Church has fostered a celibate life in the lay state. Towering among the means of sanctity available to the laity, declared the Second Vatican Council, "is that precious gift of divine grace given to some by the Father to devote themselves to God alone more easily with an undivided heart in virginity or celibacy. This perfect continence for love of the kingdom of heaven has always been held in high esteem by the Church as a sign and stimulus of love, and as a singular source of spiritual fertility in the world" (Constitution on the Church, 42).

Ecclesiastical celibacy was a logical development of Christ's teaching about continence (Matthew 19:10-12). The first beginnings of religious life were seen in the self-imposed practice of celibacy among men and women who wished to devote themselves to a lifetime following Christ in the practice of the evangelical counsels. Celibacy was one of the features of the earliest hermits and a requirement of the first monastic foundations under St. Pachomius (c. 290-346). Over the centuries religious celibacy has been the subject of the Church's frequent legislation. The Second Vatican Council named chastity first among the evangelical counsels to be practiced by religious and said that "it is a special symbol of heavenly benefits, and for religious it is a most effective means of dedicating themselves wholeheartedly to the divine service and the works of the apostolate" (Decree on the Up-to-date Renewal of Religious Life, 12). (Etym. Latin caelibatus, single life, celibacy.)
Thanks so much, that was a great explanation. I also appreciated others contributions. One other question: It says celibacy is someone who has never married. But there are priests who are widowed and become priests later in life, are they considered celibate?

Thanks everyone for great comments!

Lorrie
Old Jul 21, '11, 2:42 pm
Banned

Religion: philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgal49 View Post
Good Morning,

God Bless and Thanks,

Lorrie
yes there is a difference. celibacy is the vow to never have sex. chastity is about the heart and living in a state of love. the three vows chastity, poverty and obedience come from the three states of being cor chap 13 says we should be in. chastity=love poverty=hope obedience=faith.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology