Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 18, '11, 6:00 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Father John Corapi

I do not want to needlessly start another Father/Mr John Corapi thread.

However, I am troubled by two questions:

(1) how was Father Corapi able to live such a shocking double-life? Surely someone in EWTN or in the Catholic apologetics network knew how he really lived or what he was really doing? I just cannot understand how he was able to go on as he did and no one knew. Even the Pope has a confessor and are we not always supposed to be under authority? The Corapi episode has surprised me and caused me to ask how other Catholic apologists, in retrospect, did not know the real Corapi and did not ever question him. We cannot just pretend John Corapi never happened, "nothing to see here - move along". Corapi preached a big sermon about Christian living, especially to Catholic, all the while he was leading this completely hypocritical life. There needs to be an explanation by Fr/Mr Corapi's promoters of what they knew about his life and, if they did not know, then why were they ignorant of the real John Corapi? This must not happen again.

(2) what is to happen to all of the material possessions he had, such as the luxury cars, boats etc? Were these the result of Catholic donors giving him money for his apostolate? If so, is there any move to return the money to donors? I cannot understand how Father/Mr John Corapi can retain all of the financial benefits if they were money donated to further the Church's work.

Yes we should all pray for John Corapi, especially after that video of him in the Harley Davidson jacket with the dyed beard.

But we should also pray for our Church and for any whose faith has been shaken by learning the shocking truth about a pastor they once respected and heeded.

We should also pray for our priests -- there are so many holy, devout priests who have given up their all for our Church and all of us.

Graham
Old Jul 18, '11, 6:35 pm

Default Re: Father John Corapi

While the questions you pose are certainly worth discussing, posting a topic in the "news" section requires that the title of the topic be the title of an actual news article and that said article linked to in the topic. So this is eventually going to be locked/deleted by a moderator when they see it. You are going to have to go to another section of the site if you want to make this topic.
Old Jul 18, '11, 6:46 pm

Thanks. Will post elsewhere.
Old Jul 18, '11, 6:58 pm
Prayer Warrior

I don't believe he was leading a "double life". There is no doubt in my mind that all of the allegations are false.
Old Jul 18, '11, 8:03 pm

Re: Father Corapi: Let us not judge so quickly. Deep in my heart I know that Father is innocent and is a victim of someone that just was told the truth that they didn't want to admit. Revenge is a horrible unchristian act. Another word about our bishops---Father was not even allowed to be heard!! The so called special "commission" chosen to hear his case did not even answer questions that Father's lawyer presented. I know of Father's past, but I have also listented to him for years as a priest and have also traveled many miles to see and hear him in person. He is a true "man of God".

I do not understand how the bishops ask for vocations to the priesthood and expect young men to become priests when it is visible to how the Church (bishops) turn their back on the priest instead of being there for him.

I am praying for Father Corapi and also for the horrible person that started these lies. My prayer is that the person comes forth and admits to the fabrication.

In our parish we are constantly praying for the "renewal" of our Church but most Catholics do not understand how badly we need renewal.

Just pray, pray and pray for God's mercy.

Bwoman
Old Jul 19, '11, 8:08 am

KnightIHSV,

Unfortunately this is not a new phenomenon (see Fr. Maciel). A couple reasons among others it can be kept hidden are 1. secrecy and 2. cognitive dissonance.

1. Secrecy. A lot of this stuff was not common knowledge and it would be very easy to live a double life on the catholic circuit of speaking engagements and television appearances. You talk for an hour. You sell books. You go to a dinner. Then you're back in your hotel room. And if you want your privacy, Montana is probably a great place to be.

2. Cognitive dissonance. How much contrary evidence must one see to change one's mind about a strongly held belief (e.g. "Fr. Corapi is a holy man, a gift to the church, and winner or souls!")? People are willing to ignore a lot of warning signs when they have a lot invested (associated speakers fees, event tickets, dvd sets, conversion experiences, etc etc)
Old Jul 19, '11, 8:22 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAK View Post
I don't believe he was leading a "double life". There is no doubt in my mind that all of the allegations are false.
Appently somebody on another thread found something to the contrary (see post #799)

http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...04#post8135004

I, myself, am not going to judge or take sides (I'm on the side of charitable posting) but pray for all involved. Many say they are praying but can't resist stoking the fire with gossip. Real nice. (I'm not referring to posters here).

I pray for them too.

'Ad Jesu Per Mariam' - 'to Jesus through Mary'.
Old Jul 19, '11, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRule View Post
KnightIHSV,

Unfortunately this is not a new phenomenon (see Fr. Maciel). A couple reasons among others it can be kept hidden are 1. secrecy and 2. cognitive dissonance.

1. Secrecy. A lot of this stuff was not common knowledge and it would be very easy to live a double life on the catholic circuit of speaking engagements and television appearances. You talk for an hour. You sell books. You go to a dinner. Then you're back in your hotel room. And if you want your privacy, Montana is probably a great place to be.

2. Cognitive dissonance. How much contrary evidence must one see to change one's mind about a strongly held belief (e.g. "Fr. Corapi is a holy man, a gift to the church, and winner or souls!")? People are willing to ignore a lot of warning signs when they have a lot invested (associated speakers fees, event tickets, dvd sets, conversion experiences, etc etc)
These are the points I've been thinking about as well. I think its really, really easy to be deceptive if one truly does live a life contrary to what one appears to be. I think most people that followed Fr. Corapi can't fathom how easy deception can be because they would never be that deceptive themselves. I would bet a lot of people didn't look past the image because they placed too much trust in the "priest" instead of seeing the man for what he seems to be right now.

The part that continues to bother me, unless he's posted something since the original blogs on his new site, is that he never mentions that he has prayerful discerned about any of his decisions or situation. He never mentioned he placed the situation in God's hands, for His will to be done. It bothers me that he could not see the situation through to the very end and trusted that God would set things right, that Corapi would be victorious through God's power and trust that God would not forsake him. Is that what he use to preach, that God would never forsake one of His children? Wouldn't this have been a great opportunity to teach the lessons of Job?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News