Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 19, '11, 3:36 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Drunkenness - Catechism

I know there have been a lot of threads about drunkenness, so I am not looking to start another discussion. I was just wondering if anyone knows where it is in the Catechism (or somewhere else) that it talks about drinking alcohol and when it becomes sinful. All I could find was this:

"The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air."
Old Jul 19, '11, 4:37 pm

Default Re: Drunkenness - Catechism

I'm not sure if there is another passage. Remember that the Catechism is a summary of the Catholic faith but no single volume can be expected to contain every point of Catholic beliefs and moral theology in it.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Jul 19, '11, 4:48 pm

Religion: Traddy Roman Catholic

I think the very next point may shed a little more light.

2290-2291. The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law

Are you looking for an exact moment when drinking becomes sinful? I think it's probably left a little more to interpretation, but I would say that whenever someone becomes drunk they would endanger their own and others' safety. Alcohol is a drug--that is how it is classified...just like caffeine--and the sinful use of alcohol would inflict damage on health and life. I am not saying a drink or two here or there is that way, but I am answering in regards to sinful drinking.

I'm not a Religious so...I can't guarantee it's right, but thats what I would say...
Old Jul 19, '11, 8:41 pm

Yeah, there are just so many different levels, I feel it's hard to know what's acceptable, especially if drinking in moderation is okay, even if you are feeling some effects of the alcohol.

You see these kind of questions a lot when people obviously like getting drunk and want to see what they can get away with. That's not the case. I was out last night and completely accidentally got to the point I was lightheaded, my balance was off, and I let a vulgar word slip out. I realized I was at the point where I shouldn't be driving.

It just got me thinking. I had always heard that drugs (so I assume alcohol included) are wrong because they change your mind state. I'm not really sure what that means when it relates to alcohol. Could you say that having a couple drinks changes your mind state because you are a little relaxed? Obviously, the clearest example is drinking to the point that you're delirious and don't really know what's going on. But what about being at the point where you're balance is off, you're fine motor skills are diminished, and you're in a fairly goofy mood. Does that mean your mind state is changed AKA you're drunk?

Am I missing something.
Old Jul 19, '11, 10:29 pm

Religion: Traddy Roman Catholic

+LDM
I think if you are drinking and accidentally get a little buzzed and then stop, that's okay. However, if you purposefully go out and just get smashed out of your mind, or you don't stop when you start feeling buzzed, it starts to become sinful.

It's always good to remember it does impair judgement. Just because you are relaxed and have a slightly altered state of mind doesn't necessarily mean you are sining, but your mind state is always changed. Even just just one drink.
Old Jul 19, '11, 11:40 pm

This link tends to get tossed out in these discussions: http://www.catholicreference.net/index.cfm?id=33231

I can't even venture a guess as to how seriously to take the definition, but there you go.

It seems the link implies that getting buzzed is ok, as long as your judgment isn't affected (but correct me if I'm wrong). But I seem to remember a priest (on a thread here awhile back) saying that getting buzzed was (mortally?) sinful.

So, would you still call it drunkenness if you can still tell the difference between right and wrong, but you're light-headed and stumbling about?

I don't know.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology