Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 19, '11, 6:26 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Is it important for Christians to be successful in the world?

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Jul 19, '11, 6:46 pm

Default Re: Is it important for Christians to be successful in the world?

Individually or collectively? And what kind of success?
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Jul 19, '11, 6:47 pm
Banned

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa

“I do not pray for success, I ask for faithfulness.” - Mother Teresa

“God doesn't require us to succeed; he only requires that you try” - Mother Teresa

More quotes
http://thinkexist.com/quotation/i_do...ss/215427.html

No, Monica, God asks us to be faithful. Not to be succesful. Success, is in the word of Thomas a Kempis, in the imitation of Christ, is worldliness.

Do you notice how succesful is Donald Trump? Well, he's a wealthy man. So does all the celebrities, and all. But God does not call us to be like them. We are all called to be great saints. And the saints only do one thing, love.

They love God with all their heart, mind, and soul. And they love their neighbor as themselves.

LOVE. That's what's a matters.

Do you notice how little Jacinta (three children of Fatima) was unsuccesful. So did St. Faustina, who was only graduated from the third grade. And so does Blessed Imelda Lambertini, who died as a little girl, full of love of God. And also St. Therese of Lisieux.

God doesn't see how big or small our actions are, he only sees our love. The love we have for him, and for our neighbors for love of him.

May the merciful Jesus bless you
Old Jul 19, '11, 6:53 pm
Veteran Member

It depends on your calling.

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Jul 19, '11, 7:00 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariafransisca2 View Post
Do you notice how little Jacinta (three children of Fatima) was unsuccesful. So did St. Faustina, who was only graduated from the third grade. And so does Blessed Imelda Lambertini, who died as a little girl, full of love of God. And also St. Therese of Lisieux.
What about St. Thomas Aquinas? Much of his life was spent in academics. As a student of the Jesuits, I must also mention St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Francis Xavier, both very studious and well-educated men.

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Jul 19, '11, 7:22 pm

Imagine 2 lives.

Mediocre performance at work. And great fatherhood/motherhood/husband/wife at home.

Superior performance at work, with enormous generosity, cheerfulness, AND true humility, Serenity at all times. And great fatherhood/motherhood/husband/wife at home.

Which would have more apostolic influence at work? Which would be a shining and admirable life? Which would cause more 'attraction'?
Old Jul 19, '11, 7:36 pm

While our focus is on loving God and people, there is nothing wrong to be successful.

Each of us should fully develop our God given talents. We should always give our best to glorify God. As long as we put God first, worldly success could be a good thing. A renowned scientist or doctor could benefit many, a famous author could influence a lot of people, a successful business man could be a philanthropist, etc...

Water can sink the boat or float the boat, it all depends what you do with your success.
And none beside thee delights me on earth. (Psalm 73:25)

Old Jul 19, '11, 7:36 pm
Prayer Warrior

Thank you for the replies.. I see that there are different views on this out there.. and that is what I find confusing

Maybe I should explain why I asked this. I have some Christian friends who I would consider pretty successful: they are advancing in their career (though wanting to do it to honour God), they are popular, good looking, married or will soon be, etc. However, my life has always been kind of different. I could elaborate but it would take a long post to do this and I don't want to complain. Sometimes, I see this as a blessing because it brings me closer to God. Other times, I feel like a failure, and my family is sad for me. Today I had this thought, - is God disappointed in me too? how does He see our lives? and I don't really know.. I've always believed as a Christian: that He only looks at how much we love, He doesn't care if we are rich or poor, successful or mediocre, famous or unknown, good looking or plain, popular or shy/quiet, etc. He wants us to love Him and our neighbour, and to help others, to give to others.. I've always believed this, but sometimes when there is more pressure from the world, or when I see that my life is different from the lives of many of my Christian friends: I start to question where I am going... because my Christian friends are very devout, they are practicing Catholics and try to follow God and do everything for Him.... it just seems that what they do for Him is somehow different than what I do. I don't really do anything that the world would value. I'm in my mid-20s, but I haven't really accomplished anything career wise, I didn't choose a career that I love to do, I can't find a job, I'm sort of a shy/quiet person, I feel self conscious about how I look etc.. my family is worried that I wont find anyone to marry, meanwhile I'm wondering if I *should* marry or if God has other plans. And speaking of spiritual things, I am not successful in this either, not at all, especially with my scrupulosity.. i dont know.. Im just having kind of a really rough day with this. I don't really talk about it..however I feel I need to now. I'd appreciate more thoughts

God bless!

Last edited by Monica4316; Jul 19, '11 at 7:47 pm.
Old Jul 19, '11, 7:39 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Katoliko

If you mean a successful Christian by being the salt and light of the world? Why not.

I think the importance of worldy success is relative to what you're striving for. If it's for self-glorification, then it's not worth it. If it is to support your family and glorify God, then I see little reason not to pursue it. The important thing is that you're a Christian first and foremost: always strive to do what Christ has called you to do.
Old Jul 19, '11, 7:42 pm
Prayer Warrior

Perhaps I should rephrase my question to... am I less of a Christian if I'm not successful in the world?

Old Jul 19, '11, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica4316 View Post
Perhaps I should rephrase my question to... am I less of a Christian if I'm not successful in the world?
I guess we're less holy if we don't live with enormous generosity in our family and professional life, doing our absolute best for the love of God, serving Him with everything thing He gave us.

Living like that, God owns the success or failure. It's His.
Old Jul 19, '11, 7:50 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Katoliko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward H View Post
I guess we're less holy if we don't live with enormous generosity in our family and professional life, doing our absolute best for the love of God, serving Him with everything thing He gave us.

Amen.
Old Jul 19, '11, 7:57 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward H View Post
I guess we're less holy if you don't live with enormous generosity in your family and professional life, doing your absolute best for the love of God, serving Him with everything thing He gave us.

This is where it gets sort of complicated I think... see I want to live radically for God... but when I really think about this, I have a desire to join a religious order, help the poor, give away my possessions, etc. And to overcome my sins with God's help, to be joyful in any trial, kind with others, etc. That is what I see as living a radical life for God. But what is expected of me is different.. to be ambitious in my career, try hard to look good to find a husband, to be popular and make lots of friends to go places with, to earn lots of money and buy a good house, etc... can a person have a career and a family for God? absolutely... they can even become famous for God, like if they wrote a good book or compose music that is honouring of Him. And they can have a family that is honouring of Him too. But when I think of loving God, for me, that seems to mean something different.. I dont know. I could be completely wrong. It just seems that my family is disappointed with me, and often I'm compared to other young women my age, and I don't know if God is disappointed with me also

Old Jul 19, '11, 8:01 pm
Prayer Warrior

IMO I can give away my possessions once to help the poor.

Or I can be successful - and continue giving to the poor, year after year - day after day.

It always has bothered me...that us kids get more truthful information on the package of a bread-wrapper or happy meal...than we get about abortions -kimmie

Common sense conservation hints shared here.
http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=732
Old Jul 19, '11, 8:03 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica4316 View Post
Absolutely not. Never - Ever - Judge your worth to God by what you do or don't have here on earth.
Being a good Christian is not about "success in this world", as defined by "this world"
Being a good Christian is about "success in this world" as defined by Our King, Jesus Christ.

This world defines "success" as:
Lots of " worldly treasure" in this world. Transient, worthless dross that others will divide up when you are gone

Christ defines "success" as:
Lots of "heavenly treasure" in the next world. Permanent, bountiful wealth that none can steal for it resides in God's Holy Kingdom.

Follow Christ - believe on Him and do not worry about what the world considers "success"

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality