Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 19, '11, 10:22 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Apocalyptic Horsemen (Wars & Plaugues)

I'm not one who likes to take biblical scriptural passages out of context like fundamentalist and resort to picking an argument no matter how intriguing someone tries to make a conversation.

Even as a young kid I heard my grand-mother and my own mother say often that in someplace in the Bible it said that in End Times the People of the Yellow Race would Rule the World after a Great War.

Never once could I ever find any place in Scripture that made me think this might be true.

However; today we hear of Political Powers in the World with the G-20 nations in their conquests speak about coming together and building ("The New World Order").

In the Apocalypse Chapter 9: Verse 14-18 Douay Rheims version we read as follows...

Quote:
14 Saying to the sixth Angel, who had the trumpet: Loose the four Angels, who are bound in the great river Euphrates.

15 And the four Angels were loosed, who were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, to kill the third part of men.

16 And the number of the army of horsemen was twenty thousand times ten thousand. And I heard the number of them.

17 And thus I saw the horses in the vision: and they that sat on them, had breastplates of fire, and hyacinth, and brimstone, and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions: and from their mouths proceeded fire, and smoke, and brimstone.

18 And by these three plagues was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.
In particular take note of verse 16 where it speaks of an army of horsemen was twenty thousand times ten thousand

What army in the world today has a number of men totalling twenty thousand times ten thousand ?

Only one such army in today's 21st century exist. China !!! with 2.2 million strong.

In Haydock's Catholic Commentary http://haydock1859.tripod.com/id295.html

it states:
Quote:
Ver. 16. Twenty thousand times ten thousand, or two hundred millions. Such an immense multitude cannot be accounted for, but by supposing a great part of it to consist of the infernal beings in human form, as it is doubtful whether there be that number of men capable of bearing arms upon the whole globe of the earth
Doubtful? Such armies of men of this size exist in the world today.

Curious. What does anyone else make out of this?

Peace
Chris
Old Jul 19, '11, 10:39 pm

Default Re: Apocalyptic Horsemen (Wars & Plaugues)

My only response is:

Crud. We are doomed.

On a more serious level, I wouldn't worry too much yet. After all, the book of revelation says that happens after 1/4 of the world's people die. That hasn't happened yet, so we are probably ok.

WHAT MUST BE DONE ABOUT CALIFORNIA?
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=580916
Old Jul 20, '11, 8:19 am
Prayer Warrior

I thought this Catholic Apologetic did a good job explaining the global situation today in relation to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
http://www.catholicintl.com/articles...mic_Crisis.pdf
Old Jul 20, '11, 9:01 am
Veteran Member

The Book of Revelation was placed at the end of the Bible for a reason. Those who put it there assumed that the reader read and understood everything else in the Bible that comes before it. I wouldn't be so quick to jump on any intepreation of Revelation which does so in the absence of the rest of the Bible.
"At the appointed time the king of the south shall come to grips with him, but the king of the north shall overwhelm him with chariots and horsemen and a great fleet, passing through the countries like a flood. (Daniel 11:40)
I'd suggest reading, studying and understanding the Book of Daniel in the context of the entirety of scripture before we start peeking under rocks for Chineese armies and looking for answers in one sentance of Haydock's Catholic Commentary.

-Tim-
Old Aug 23, '11, 8:03 am

The Catholic Church tells us that we are NOT doomed and are NOT anywhere near the "End of the World". Read this article in EWTN: http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/endtimes.htm

If anything Our Lady of Fatima promised us an "Era of Peace"...thanks to Pope John Paul II's role in helping to bring down Soviet Communism in 1991, since 1992 onwards this promise has been partly realized.

Nevertheless, its strange!

My parents always used to say to me, "Our Lady said: Beware the Yellow Peril, the Yellow Race will rule the world/inherit the earth"...My great-grandmother, who was born in 1922, said that nuns had told it to her in the 1920s...my grand-parents said they got told it in the 1930s...my mother heard it from nuns in the 1960s...

And then there are people who say its in the Bible! hundreds of them, I've met...and then some that its in Nostradamus' prophecies...

I have found no such saying, "Yellow Peril" or "Yellow Race" in the Our lady of Fatima's words, the Bible or Nostradamus...

I don't have a clue why all these Catholics and other people all across the world seem to have been told this for the last two hundred years or such!

It seems RACIST to me. Yes Communist Chin is getting worrylingly powerful, but to refer to the "Yellow RACE" seems downright dodgy to me...

Where did this originate?
"...Everyone who has joined the ranks of Christ must be a glowing point of light in the world, a nucleus of love, a leaven of the whole mass. He will be so in proportion to his degree of spiritual union with God..."

- Saint Pope John XXIII, Pacem in Terris (1963)
Old Aug 23, '11, 8:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vouthon View Post

It seems RACIST to me. Yes Communist Chin is getting worrylingly powerful, but to refer to the "Yellow RACE" seems downright dodgy to me...

I remember my Mom reading this one to me around '91 or '92. She was really big into end-time prophecies, but they all kind of blur together. I figured my own personal "end times" would arrive before the end of the world actually did, but she was pretty convinced they were far more imminent.

If memory serves, I want to say there was some sort of a visionary? And she had a vision where an Asiatic people ("a yellow people with cruel [and slanted??] eyes" or something like that?) were going door-to-door and invading the homes of a (Caucasian?) nation to subjugate the people who lived there.

That's about the only part that I remember 20 years later. Google doesn't give me anything based on those snippets. But I'm sure it was far more worrying/plausible to generations that grew up with the Korean and Vietnam Wars, plus all the Communist/Cold War/let's-build-nuclear-bomb-shelters-in-the-backyard stuff to worry about.
Old Aug 23, '11, 8:40 am

Here's an example:

http://www.tibetsun.com/opinions/201...big-bad-china/

The author writes:

"...When I was a kid in Catholic school, the nuns taught us that one of the secret prophesies revealed by Mary, the Mother of Jesus, when she appeared to three poor shepherd children in Fatima, Portugal in 1917, was allegedly: “The yellow race will rule the world.” Even in the 1950s, we understood that the yellow race meant the Chinese. We joked that we all loved Chinese food so maybe it wouldn’t be so bad. But now I am of a different mind. For the most part, it’s the Chinese who stitch our underwear, make our plastic flowers, and sell us software online. Meanwhile, the Beijing Bullies are losing face with the civilized world. They suppress the voices of their own people and threaten anyone who believes in Freedom.In fact, they have tried to erase Tibet from the world consciousness. Just go to your local toy store and pick up any globe (95 percent are made in China) and you will not see TIBET anywhere. Does this disgust me? You bet it does..."

This is EXACTLY the same as what my family was told...so why on earth were all these Catholic nuns going around telling people to "beware the yellow peril/pearl/race"?????

"...Everyone who has joined the ranks of Christ must be a glowing point of light in the world, a nucleus of love, a leaven of the whole mass. He will be so in proportion to his degree of spiritual union with God..."

Old Aug 23, '11, 8:47 am

It thus seems to be a bit of an "urban" myth that the Virgin Mary/Bible had something to say about the "yellow race". This is dead weird.

Has anybody else heard this "saying" from their parents/nuns/some other source?

Old Aug 23, '11, 5:11 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Also, a calvary is a small percentage of an army. Imagine the size of the army itself. I believe it is a symbolic number of overwhelming size. If the calvary is exactly double the size of the number who attend to the Lamb in (Rev 5:11) they are vastly outnumbered.

scripturecatholic.com
Old Aug 23, '11, 6:06 pm

Chris

One of the best books for understanding The Book of Revelations is The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth by Scott Hahn. Scott Hahn does not present a boogeyman version of Revelations that like those so popular with Protestants and Hollywood, rather he analyzes Revelations in the context of the liturgy of the mass and present Revelations as a book of beauty and hope. Thanks to select Protestants and Hollywood most people think that the definition of "Apocalypse" is some terrible ending of the world but it's real meaning of "unveiling". Thus Scott Hahn writes the following:

Quote:
This is what was unveiled in the Book of Revelations: the union of heaven and earth, consummated in the Holy eucharist.... St. Paul describes the Chruch as the bride of Christ and Revelations unveils the bride.
Beautiful!

Ran
Old Aug 24, '11, 3:00 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vouthon View Post
My parents always used to say to me, "Our Lady said: Beware the Yellow Peril, the Yellow Race will rule the world/inherit the earth"...My great-grandmother, who was born in 1922, said that nuns had told it to her in the 1920s...my grand-parents said they got told it in the 1930s...my mother heard it from nuns in the 1960s...

And then there are people who say its in the Bible! hundreds of them, I've met...and then some that its in Nostradamus' prophecies...

I have found no such saying, "Yellow Peril" or "Yellow Race" in the Our lady of Fatima's words, the Bible or Nostradamus...

I don't have a clue why all these Catholics and other people all across the world seem to have been told this for the last two hundred years or such!

You have the right to think that there's something fishy about it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture