Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 2, '11, 9:16 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it okay to read Harry Potter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Wanderer View Post
The Ratzinger-Kuby letters are a dead horse that's long been dealt with by the likes of apologists Jimmy Akin. Please, spare yourself the intellectual humiliation and never refer to those again.
Yes, Jimmy Akin has written about "the Ratzinger letters", but you've ignored what Jimmy said regarding Harry Potter, and obviously you've chosen to only focus on the parts of what he said that tickled your ears and told you what you wanted to hear. Our Holy Father and the Vatican's chief exorcist are far more credible to speak on matters concerning the good of our soul.

"In two letters first translated and published online by LifeSiteNews.com, Cardinal Ratzinger wrote to a German writer of a book critically analyzing the Potter series. “It is good, that you enlighten people about Harry Potter, because those are subtle seductions, which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly,” he wrote.

Cardinal Ratzinger’s was not the only Vatican voice to express grave concern over Potter. The Vatican’s chief exorcist, Rev. Gabriele Amorth, has repeatedly condemned the Harry Potter novels. He said, “You start off with Harry Potter, who comes across as a likeable wizard, but you end up with the Devil … By reading Harry Potter a young child will be drawn into magic and from there it is a simple step to Satanism and the Devil. The books attempt to make a false distinction between black and white magic, when in fact, the distinction does not exist, because magic is always a turn to the Devil.” He also said, "Behind Harry Potter hides the signature of the king of the darkness, the Devil ."

But since you brought up Jimmy Akin, here's what he said about the Harry Potter books he'd read, "I was not at all impressed with them as literature, and I recognize that they can have a harmful spiritual effect on some readers, especially among the young."

Now, if you're solid in your faith, Lost Wanderer, that's terrific. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people out there are not solid at all, and many have no faith. Who are you to tell people that these books won't be harmful to them when the Vatican's chief exorcist says otherwise? Are you claiming to be an authority on Satanism, occults, demons, and the Devil?
Old Aug 2, '11, 9:48 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

The Harry Potter books are nothing more than an old fashioned morality story. Good overcomes evil, and triumphs in the end. Hard work is necessary, being kind to others, fighting against evil, those that condone evil do not profit in the end, those that don't work hard don't succeed, you are responsible for your own choices in life. Those are the things that this series of books actually teach.

I have yet to find anyone that condemns those books that has actually READ them. They see "witchcraft" and are immediately turned off. They depend on what others have said about those books, but have never actually examined them for themselves.

After all, doesn't the Bible state that you can "not suffer a witch to live"?

Well, no, in actuality the Bible does NOT state that. The word that was translated from Hebrew into English as "witch" actually means "poisoner". In 17th century England, when the Bible was first translated into English, most people believed that witches poisoned people, to either kill them or to "enchant" them, so they translated that word as "witch".

Ever since then, especially among the stricter Protestant religions, there has been this animus toward anything that even remotely smacks of "witchcraft". And it is that animus that has caused Many to condemn the Harry Potter series.

And yet they extol the works of C.S. Lewis, who also uses witchcraft in his books to illustrate good and evil tales.

Witchcraft is merely a means to spin the story. The story itself in absolutely nothing but a morality play, brought into the 21st century.

They don't even condone pre-marital sex, which is a REAL rarity in today's world of literature. (Harry doesn't even hold hands with his future wife till he is 16, and they are married before they have children. How horrible, to give an example like that to children.)

People actually get married before having children, they take care of their children, loving them and teaching them the differences between good and evil, etc. Harry's parents were murdered by an evil wizard, and he is raised by his Aunt, who hates him. He is horribly mistreated, by his Aunt and Uncle and his cousin.

He learns that he is a wizard, and in the Wizarding world, people that hurt others pay for that behavior eventually (too bad that doesn't happen in OUR world). Good manners and civility are taught and reinforced by adults (including school teachers); scholarship is expected and children are respectful of adults.

Those that play by the rules may be knocked down, but over time, they win out over those that take the "quick way". One achieves by doing what is right and good. (Once again what a horrible thing this is to teach to children!)

I challenge anyone to point to a single thing in those 7 books, that is against what Christianity teaches (other than the whole concept of witches and wizards).
Old Aug 2, '11, 2:34 pm

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveusfromhell View Post
somebody better tell the vatican then, because the pope is ceartainly no fan.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/har...m_medium=email
Please carefully read what Lost Wanderer said, then check out these two links:

Jimmy Akin: Pre-16 on Harry Potter
and
Jimmy Akin: LifeSiteNews Calls Kettle Black

Do your homework or don't bother.

And while you're at it, read my replies above and Transformer's too to learn what the Harry Potter books are actually like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgp View Post
Yes, Jimmy Akin has written about "the Ratzinger letters", but you've ignored what Jimmy said regarding Harry Potter, and obviously you've chosen to only focus on the parts of what he said that tickled your ears and told you what you wanted to hear. Our Holy Father and the Vatican's chief exorcist are far more credible to speak on matters concerning the good of our soul.
Akin said he's not a Harry Potter fan, and that he understands why some parents would have reservations.

The fact that you're appealing to Fr. Amorth on the matter shows that you take no such nuanced position but are in the rabid anti-Potter camp. Yet you have the audacity to imply that the rest of what Akin has to say supports your view? Get a grip.

Quote:
"In two letters first translated and published online by LifeSiteNews.com, Cardinal Ratzinger wrote to a German writer of a book critically analyzing the Potter series. “It is good, that you enlighten people about Harry Potter, because those are subtle seductions, which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly,” he wrote.
Well now you've really one-upped yourself. You've chosen to just ignore the fact that Akin definitively refuted that Benedict XVI has publicly expressed a position on Harry Potter?

Let me repeat Akin's main point, and please try to knock this fact into your head: appealing to the Ratzinger letters to that crazy German woman or to Fr. Amorth lends no more credibility to the anti-Potter position than the news stories about Blessed John Paul II's approval, Fr. Fleetwood's approval, and the praise of the Vatican newspaper does to the pro-Potter side.

Quote:
The Vatican’s chief exorcist, Rev. Gabriele Amorth, has repeatedly condemned the Harry Potter novels. He said, “You start off with Harry Potter, who comes across as a likeable wizard, but you end up with the Devil … By reading Harry Potter a young child will be drawn into magic and from there it is a simple step to Satanism and the Devil. The books attempt to make a false distinction between black and white magic, when in fact, the distinction does not exist, because magic is always a turn to the Devil.” He also said, "Behind Harry Potter hides the signature of the king of the darkness, the Devil."
Give me one good reason I should believe this hysteria when all the demonstrable literary facts about the series lead to exactly the opposite conclusion.

Quote:
Now, if you're solid in your faith, Lost Wanderer, that's terrific. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people out there are not solid at all, and many have no faith. Who are you to tell people that these books won't be harmful to them when the Vatican's chief exorcist says otherwise?
Someone who's read the books and has a clue.

PLEASE read my last two replies - or at least the last one - which are on the previous page. You will see why all those who pay attention, have a clue, and aren't paranoid recognize the hard-to-miss fact that the Harry Potter series is Christian fantasy just like Lewis' Narnia series for children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post
They don't even condone pre-marital sex, which is a REAL rarity in today's world of literature. (Harry doesn't even hold hands with his future wife till he is 16, and they are married before they have children. How horrible, to give an example like that to children.)
Excellent point. Potter's Christian detractors often miss the fact that Rowling's series paints a very spiritually healthy, traditional, and moral picture of sexuality and family life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post
I challenge anyone to point to a single thing in those 7 books, that is against what Christianity teaches (other than the whole concept of witches and wizards).
And even that isn't actually against Christianity, since the "magic" in the books is fictional even in its very nature and structure. As I explained on the previous page, it in no way corresponds with real-world witchcraft. Words like "magic" and "witchcraft" are used in the series in only the loosest, most analogical sense: mysterious abilities that exceed the normal limits of the physical world.

Rowling's "magic" is like the "magic" of the elves in Tolkien: it's not preternatural manipulation but rather an innate ability of a sub-species different from regular human beings. Like the "magic" of Tolkien's elves, the "magic" of Rowling's "witches" and "wizards" is totally non-transferable to regular humans.
Old Aug 2, '11, 2:45 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fone Bone 2001 View Post
Please carefully read what Lost Wanderer said, then check out these two links:

Jimmy Akin: Pre-16 on Harry Potter
and
Jimmy Akin: LifeSiteNews Calls Kettle Black

Do your homework or don't bother.

sorry i don't reply to lost wanderer anymore , i find his posts churlish.
do your homework or don't bother? I will gladly read any info given to me on any subject that may change my opinion. the obvious thing to do is provide the link not post silly remarks
i read jimmy atkins reflection and it's just his take of the pope's letters.
the other thing i have to say i care little for harry potter one way or the other but the promoters of the book here on this web site like you and lw could do with reading the section on charity in the rules for here
Old Aug 2, '11, 3:21 pm

Do you even think about what you're writing, Phone Bone 2001? It doesn't matter how much you enjoy HP. Why are you desperately trying to justify it by convincing others that it's great? You're like the crack addict who's trying to sell drugs to kids, and telling them that it's wonderful stuff and that it won't hurt them. That's the way Satan works with all sin...."there's nothing wrong with it; go ahead and try it..."

The fact remains that you do not know more about satanism, occults, demons, and the devil than the Vatican's chief exorcist, and he's repeatedly condemned the Harry Potter novels. He said, “You start off with Harry Potter, who comes across as a likeable wizard, but you end up with the Devil … By reading Harry Potter a young child will be drawn into magic and from there it is a simple step to Satanism and the Devil. The books attempt to make a false distinction between black and white magic, when in fact, the distinction does not exist, because magic is always a turn to the Devil.” He also said, "Behind Harry Potter hides the signature of the king of the darkness, the Devil ."

So, if the king of Darkness is behind Harry Potter, what does it say about the posters here who are attempting to convince everyone else to read it?
Old Aug 2, '11, 4:02 pm

“You start off with Harry Potter, who comes across as a likeable wizard, but you end up with the Devil … By reading Harry Potter a young child will be drawn into magic and from there it is a simple step to Satanism and the Devil. The books attempt to make a false distinction between black and white magic, when in fact, the distinction does not exist, because magic is always a turn to the Devil.”

This is quite an eye-opening statement, and coming from Vatican's chief exorcist nonetheless. In this matter, I'll take his word over the words of others in this thread any day.

Even Jimmy Akin, who is the Director of Apologetics and Evangelization at Catholic answers had this to say,

Quote:
"I read the first novel and watched the first two movies. I was not at all impressed with them as literature, and I recognize that they can have a harmful spiritual effect on some readers, especially among the young."
Even Patrick Madrid, a prominent Catholic apologist, said this, just a few days ago

Quote:
" In my estimation, his (Michael O’brien's) critique of HP, while unpopular with most HP-lovers, is bang-on-the-bullseye accurate."
Here is the critique from Micharl O'brien -
http://www.lifesitenews.com/resource...ldrens-culture

I think the OP needs to take these above points into consideration and perhaps reconsider his/her decision to read Harry Potter.
Old Aug 2, '11, 4:37 pm

Quote:
do your homework or don't bother? I will gladly read any info given to me on any subject that may change my opinion. the obvious thing to do is provide the link not post silly remarks
the other thing i have to say i care little for harry potter one way or the other but the promoters of the book here on this web site like you and lw could do with reading the section on charity in the rules for here
I'm sorry for the shortness of my previous reply, saveusfromhell. I will attempt from here on out - with success, I anticipate - to prevent myself from being so harsh.

Anyway, though I should have handled my frustration more delicately, I nonetheless wasn't wrong to be frustrated: over and over again on these threads, someone posts the whole "Pope Benedict said Harry Potter stifles the growth of Christian spirituality" thing, when it's been shown time and time again that there is no evidence that Pope Benedict has ever - even as Cardinal Ratzinger - expressed an opinion on the Harry Potter series, which he has likely never read.

It's irresponsible to use his office's response to the gift of that book as evidence in a discussion about this, just as it's irresponsible for the secular press to say things like, "Vatican approves of Harry Potter" whenever L'Osservatore Romano or a Vatican priest like Fr. Peter Fleetwood speaks highly about the series.

Quote:
Do you even think about what you're writing, Phone Bone 2001?
No, I just spew out demonic corruption that I've imbibed from the fact that I've clearly been possessed due to my flippant and reckless willingness to read the Harry Potter series.

Did you even read the rest of this thread? All of your objections have been addressed, and you've not yet addressed the arguments of those who point out the merits of the Harry Potter series.

If you really want to persuade me, name-dropping and fearmongering won't work. Please, please, please engage in specifics. For instance:

(1) How am I wrong about the "magic"/"witchcraft" in the series - its clearly fictional, fantastical nature, and its qualitative, unmistakable distinctness from the occult? I've posted my opinions/analysis. Care to help me understand where I'm in error?

(2) I and others have pointed out, also in this thread, the heavy-handed Christian elements in the Harry Potter series. If our analyses are off-base, why?

Quote:
It doesn't matter how much you enjoy HP. Why are you desperately trying to justify it by convincing others that it's great?
Well, actually I got frustrated not by people not liking Harry Potter, but rather by the factual distortions of the "Benedict disapproves of Harry Potter" angle. I usually do get frustrated by the dissemination of inaccurate information - even when it's accidental.

More importantly, I'm also frustrated because when Christians condemn these books, they're shooting themselves in the foot. Due to all the reasons I laid out earlier - and more - these books really inculcate good Christian spiritual lessons and moral truths through traditional spiritual imagery and a Christian structure modeled on the Paschal Mystery.

Seriously, the formula gets followed in every single one of the seven books. Rowling is a self-described Christian (Church of Scotland) who has repeatedly indicated that her faith influences her writing. She even said that she was afraid she'd give away the series' ending if she spoke too much about her Christian faith before the last novel was released.

Furthermore, also as I pointed out above, the series presents a healthy break from corruption and sin in our culture: its portrayal of sexuality and family life is indisputably wholesome (well, from our Catholic perspective, that is. Libertines probably feel differently)

Quote:
You're like the crack addict who's trying to sell drugs to kids, and telling them that it's wonderful stuff and that it won't hurt them. That's the way Satan works with all sin...."there's nothing wrong with it; go ahead and try it..."
Yep, got it. I'm a crack addict, and Satan lurks under every innocent joy. All-consuming suspicion is the Christian way. Got it.

Quote:
The fact remains that you do not know more about satanism, occults, demons, and the devil than the Vatican's chief exorcist, and he's repeatedly condemned the Harry Potter novels.
And the fact remains that Fr. Amorth doesn't know more about the Harry Potter series than I do. We're not talking about demons, the occult, and satanism. The accusation that Harry Potter promotes or includes the occult necessarily involves two topics: the book series itself, and the occult. Fr. Amorth is an expert on one and only one of those. To be a true expert in this debate, one would have to be an expert on both topics. As someone with good literary sense, I guarantee you that his own words prove that he is not himself familiar with the series:

Quote:
He said, “The books attempt to make a false distinction between black and white magic, when in fact, the distinction does not exist, because magic is always a turn to the Devil.”
See, and right there he proves that despite his knowledge of the occult - which I wholeheartedly respect - he nevertheless does not understand fantasy from a literary perspective.

Please read my previous replies for information on how the "magic" in Harry Potter is structurally distinct from and dissimilar to anything real - and therefore to preternatural occult practices.
Old Aug 2, '11, 4:38 pm

Quote:
So, if the king of Darkness is behind Harry Potter, what does it say about the posters here who are attempting to convince everyone else to read it?
A creative human mind influenced by the classics and the British literary tradition is behind Harry Potter. Now let me ask you a question:

In what way(s) does Harry Potter promote the occult? What specific elements in the series do you object to? Can you give references? Specific parts? Specific quotations? I await your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyF View Post
I think the OP needs to take these above points into consideration and perhaps reconsider his/her decision to read Harry Potter.
Friend, I implore you to reconsider your position based on the evidence. For instance, you could consider getting this book, one of many that details the Christian underpinnings, imagery, structure, and thematic content of the Harry Potter series.

I also recommend you read through even just the rest of this short thread. Weigh the evidence for yourself.

Also, O'Brien's critiques are really inconsistent and generally quite unreliable. See this forum post for further explanation.
Old Aug 2, '11, 4:42 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

Quote:
I'm sorry for the shortness of my previous reply, saveusfromhell. I will attempt from here on out - with success, I anticipate - to prevent myself from being so harsh.

Anyway, though I should have handled my frustration more delicately, I nonetheless wasn't wrong to be frustrated: over and over again on these threads, someone posts the whole "Pope Benedict said Harry Potter stifles the growth of Christian spirituality" thing, when it's been shown time and time again that there is no evidence that Pope Benedict has ever - even as Cardinal Ratzinger - expressed an opinion on the Harry Potter series, which he has likely never read.
thank you i appreciate your clarification.
Old Aug 2, '11, 6:17 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Who are you to tell people that these books won't be harmful to them when the Vatican's chief exorcist says otherwise? Are you claiming to be an authority on Satanism, occults, demons, and the Devil?
I study mythology, folklore, and worked on a group thesis on indigenous, tribal religions and rituals. I've also watched some documentaries on Wicca and other 'witchcraft' religions from National Geographic.

Like many members of the Anti-Fantasy League, you ignore the fact that fantasy is not the same as reality. A fictional world where people can shoot lights and sparks from wooden sticks whilst speaking dog-latin cannot be compared with actual occult.

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Aug 2, '11, 6:37 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
The fact remains that you do not know more about satanism, occults, demons, and the devil than the Vatican's chief exorcist, and he's repeatedly condemned the Harry Potter novels.
Amorth has also wildly claimed that the Devil has infiltrated the Vatican.

Yes, that sounds like a reputable source.

Quote:
Oh yesh, I ish evil warlock who dreams of falling in love with a saintly girl and keeping her away from the convent.

New blog

Old Aug 2, '11, 6:50 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
I've debating on at least three separate Harry Potter threads. Can you blame me for frustration as you are the nth person to have brought up the Kuby letters?

Quote:
We have provided links. However, providing them over and over again on so many threads on the same subject eventually just becomes repetitive and unproductive. You'd think with all the times we've given the same links in response over and over again, people would pick up on, for instance, Jimmy Akin's attack on LSN for that piece of tabloid trash.

Quote:
A generic thank you letter. Jimmy Akin's point? That.
I can't say that's something you can make much of a 'take' on, let alone an ecclesiastical condemnation.

Quote:
Don't preach to us about charity. I've been condemned, mocked, and even wished excommunication by members of the Anti-Fantasy League on these forums. The fact that complainers usually just whine about those defending Potter makes me wonder if there's even an agenda here.

New blog

Old Aug 2, '11, 9:28 pm

Quote:
*pants* Out of... Mana... gimme a sec... *pants* must recover.... *drinks Mana Potion*

Okay... *sighs*

You know, I'm sure I'm not the only defender of HP on these sites. In fact, I would consider the user known as curlycool to be more adamant in their position that it's a Christian story (me I'm just neutral as my literary position is very relativist).
*Randomly pops into Spirituality Forum*
*Sees Harry Potter thread*
*see my name in Harry Potter thread*

Well, this is awkward.

I should spend more time in this forum. The people here seem very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrgwillidar View Post
Forgive me, I can't remember who said it but-- magic or science taken to their extremes are indistinguishable.
You're looking for Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I'm sure that there's anti-theists (as distinct from actual good-natured atheists) who would argue that faith is magic. Saying it doesn't make it right.

Quote:
Rowling's "magic" is like the "magic" of the elves in Tolkien: it's not preternatural manipulation but rather an innate ability of a sub-species different from regular human beings. Like the "magic" of Tolkien's elves, the "magic" of Rowling's "witches" and "wizards" is totally non-transferable to regular humans.
Exactly. You can almost think of "magical folk" in Harry Potter as another species (or sub-species). Humans cannot become "wizards" and "wizards" cannot become humans.

This is the main point. The occult and all that comes from "deals with the devil" and such. The main definition is "power apart from God". Characters in HP are born with their abilities, which is why we'd call them an innate ability. Some people can lick their elbow; well in HP some people can do magic. Just like in real life, if you're not born with it you can't gain it. If you're born a boy you're a boy; in HP if you're born a muggle your a muggle, you can't learn magic (as demonstrated with Aunt Petunia, despite the fact that she begged to try, and got turned down because you can't learn it, it's something you're born with).

In X-Men, Wolverine is immortal. Professor X can read minds. Yet in the X-Men thread when the movie came out, no one said anything about it being "evil" or "occult" related. Because that would be stupid. They have mutations which give them special powers.

Well, Harry Potter has the "magic" mutation. He can't just become "not a wizard"; it's impossible. Going to Hogwarts did nothing more than refine an ability, not going does not mean he could no longer do magic. It's like going to hockey camp: you get better, but if you don't go you can still play, you just won't be as good.

Lord God, we ask you to bless and protect the Holy Catholic Church.
"God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" - Romans 5:8
Old Aug 3, '11, 5:15 am

Quote:
A fictional world where people can shoot lights and sparks from wooden sticks whilst speaking dog-latin cannot be compared with actual occult.
I really am surprised that so many people seem incapable of understanding this. Sometimes I wonder what goes through people's heads when they can't tell the difference between fantasy magic and occult practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlycool89 View Post
Exactly. You can almost think of "magical folk" in Harry Potter as another species (or sub-species). Humans cannot become "wizards" and "wizards" cannot become humans.
Indeed. I've always puzzled at those who contrast HP with Narnia or Lord of the Rings on the basis that Tolkien and Lewis supposedly put some sort of safe "distance" between their fantasy magic and the real world in their works.

It's ironic, because if there is such a distinction, the opposite is probably true. Lucy - a regular human - casts spells in Narnia. In Harry Potter no regular human like you and I is even capable of doing any kind of magic at all.
Old Aug 3, '11, 8:34 am
Banned

The Vatican's Chief Exorcist has NEVER actually read any of the Harry Potter Books. Like the former Cardinal Ratzinger, he depends on others opinions in forming his own. Pope Benedict XVI never actually read them, he merely responded to another persons OPINION about those books.

Nobody, including the leaders of our Church, should ever "condemn" any book without actually reading it.

I once again challenge anyone that HAS ACTUALLY READ THOSE BOOKS TO FIND ANYTHING OBJECTIONABLE IN THEM, OR THAT IS IN ANY WAY ANTI-CHRISTIAN or that could lead anyone, of any age, away from their faith..

It appears exceedingly strange that we have the Harry Potter series of books in our parish library, and the inclusion of those books in the library was specifically approved by both our retired Bishop (chosen by Blessed John Paul II, and who received several letters from him thanking him for his adherence to the doctrines of the faith) , and by our new Bishop (who was specifically chosen by Pope Benedict XVI).

Such people would never allow books like this to be in ANY parish library, if they had no special merit, or if they were in any way, shape or form of a nature to pull anyone away from their faith.

Once again, you have fanatics, and those that simply see "witchcraft", that have never read a page of those books, condemning them.

I would also remind some of the posters hear that many books that used to be on the "Forbidden List" (the Index) have subsequently been approved for reading by Catholics of all ages. At one time, it was considered a mortal sin to read ANY of the books on the Index, and now many of those books appear in Seminary libraries, as well as in virtually every Catholic University in the world.

It is amazing how something is considered "forbidden" at one time, and "enlightening" at another. I will predict that a hundred years from now, the Harry Potter series will be utilized in virtually every Christian Church in the world (including the Catholic Church), as an example of excellent Christian literature for both the young and the old.

By the standards that some of the writers here adhere to, no Catholic should ever read the "King Arthur" stories either, because a wizard not only holds a major part in the stories, but he is an example of good fighting against evil. Just as Merlin is used to illustrate the point that Good ALWAYS triumphs eventually, so do Harry Potter and his fellow witches and wizards illustrate exactly the same points.

I purchased those books for each of my grandsons, as they were published. I encouraged them to read them, and they all became hooked on the stories. All of them continue very active participation in their churches, all of them partake of the sacraments, and none of them has had even the slightest weakening of their faith, morals or anything else.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality