Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 31, '11, 2:43 pm

Religion: Catholic
Exclamation What is the unforgivable sin?

What is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit mean in Mark 3:28-30?

Are you a proud Hispanic Catholic too? Come join the group!

http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1318
Old Jul 31, '11, 3:52 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: What is the unforgivable sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingtheway View Post
What is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit mean in Mark 3:28-30?
CCC 1864 "Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven." There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.
Old Jul 31, '11, 5:06 pm
Banned

Religion: Private

Quote:
Re: What is the unforgivable sin?
For Catholics, what it says in the Catechism.

For Orthodox, the explanation of your priest/spiritual father.
Old Jul 31, '11, 5:14 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic, former Pentecostal and United Methodist

The key is the part of the Catechism where it says "but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit".

Anyone who does accept the Holy Spirit, does turn their life around and accepts the Mercy of God shall be saved.
Old Jul 31, '11, 6:40 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

To blaspheme is to speak evil of. So dissing off the Holy Spirit is the unpardonable sin.
Old Jul 31, '11, 9:07 pm

Religion: Anglican

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
CCC 1864 "Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven." There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.
White Peony - To blaspheme is to speak evil of. So dissing the Holy Spirit is the unpardonable sin.
The definition provided in the Catechism is reassuring and comforting to us all.

I wonder whether to do the former is, by definition, to do the latter, at least by implication?

I cannot recall, off the top of my head, anyone actually speaking ill of the Holy Spirit. It seems such an odd thing to do. Can anyone tell me of an instance of this occurring?
Old Jul 31, '11, 9:16 pm
Observing Member

Jesus came down to save humanity from their sins. As long as you accept God as your savior you will be forgiven.
Old Jul 31, '11, 9:25 pm

Send a message via AIM to BigFellaMick Send a message via Yahoo to BigFellaMick

@devout one There's more to it then that my friend. Just accepting Christ as Lord doesn't guarantee you as being "saved". I try my best not to presume anything about anyone but might I ask what church you attend? I don't wish to sound judgmental either but that really sounds like a protestant view point if ever I heard one lol

Also I must point out that while I'm new to my catholic faith and certainly don't pretend to know a whole lot about it, MY understanding of this, from what I've read on a catholic blog or something similar explained that blaspheming against the Holy Spirit wasn't to take the lords name in vain, it was more insidious than that. In essence (again from my understanding) it meant that for those who see God's actions and deny them. The example used was somebody with an untreatable illness who was miraculously cured. It would be blaspheming the Holy Spirit to deny that God's grace healed the inflicted by giving sole credit to science. Especially to try and convince others of this.

Whether that's true or not remains to be seen. Taking one person's blog, clearly written on opinion versus the catechism, I'd definitely put my trust in the catechism lol But all the same we do see this happen almost daily in this world as atheists seek to deny God's work in everything around us. Science is the answer to everything, not God. Whether it is considered an unpardonable sin or not is ultimately up to God. All the same, it still makes it a sin. But I'm starting to rant at this point so I'm going to stop now. Just wanted to share my two cents from a different source on the topic. God Bless!
Old Jul 31, '11, 11:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Peony View Post
To blaspheme is to speak evil of. So dissing the Holy Spirit is the unpardonable sin.
I almost forgot to ask, does this stricture apply only to the baptised, or to 'pagans' as well? If it applies to the latter, what hope is there for the repentant sinner who enters the Church in adulthood?
Old Aug 1, '11, 6:37 pm

But if he's repentant, he's repentant. Repentant people (as long as they repent before they die) do not commit the sin of telling God He can't forgive them.

You know the story of the reapers who showed up at the end of the day, and got the same pay as everybody else. You know the story of the prodigal son, who came creeping back and was given everything good that a father could give a son.

God does not desire the sinner to die forever. God gives us every chance, right up to the last nanosecond. As long as we do repent in the end, He is infinitely merciful and generous.
Old Aug 9, '11, 6:31 pm

I remember asking this in Religion class.
One example given was: a person who is depressed, wants to kill himself because he sinned & doesn't believe God will forgive him for his sin.

This person is not turning to God for forgiveness and mercy.
Instead rejects God and does not acknowledge God's loving, merciful & forgiving nature.
Old Aug 10, '11, 8:05 am

There is a clue to the answer to your question in the very next verse of Mark chapter 3.

For they had said, "He has an unclean spirit."

In several other places it is written that God forgives those who forgive others but God does not forgive those who do not forgive others. When we stand in judgement of other people and condemn them for what they have done, we risk falling under the the same judgement if we make the same mistake.

In this place of the Gospel, some Jewish religious leaders (people who should have known better) have looked at Jesus (the embodiment of all that is good) and judged him to be evil. They have given themselves no way out. There only chance is to fundamentally alter their view of Jesus.

I could look at the beggar down the street, or the person who decides to take their own life, or the person who decides to get an abortion, and I could judge them and condemn them in my heart and maybe I can escape God's condemnation if I never have to beg for a living and I never feel like taking my own life and I never wish one of my own children hadn't been born. Perhaps God would spare me those things.

But if I condemn all that is good... where can I go to escape God's judgement.

Peace.

Jim
Old Aug 11, '11, 4:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogiah View Post
There is a clue to the answer to your question in the very next verse of Mark chapter 3.

For they had said, "He has an unclean spirit."

In several other places it is written that God forgives those who forgive others but God does not forgive those who do not forgive others. When we stand in judgement of other people and condemn them for what they have done, we risk falling under the the same judgement if we make the same mistake.

In this place of the Gospel, some Jewish religious leaders (people who should have known better) have looked at Jesus (the embodiment of all that is good) and judged him to be evil. They have given themselves no way out. There only chance is to fundamentally alter their view of Jesus.

I could look at the beggar down the street, or the person who decides to take their own life, or the person who decides to get an abortion, and I could judge them and condemn them in my heart and maybe I can escape God's condemnation if I never have to beg for a living and I never feel like taking my own life and I never wish one of my own children hadn't been born. Perhaps God would spare me those things.

But if I condemn all that is good... where can I go to escape God's judgement.

Peace.

Jim
As Our Lord said, 'Judge not according to the appearance, but judge just judgment' (John 7:24).

Peace.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture