Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 3, '11, 8:24 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Can you tell if someone is possessed...?

...by evil spirit?

I sense that my cousin may be under the influence of evil spirit. I can tell from his eyes. People would think that I am "self-righteous" for saying there is something wrong with others, when I don't see the log in my own eyes. However, he has mild schizophrenia and is under medication. But I believe no medicine would cure him because he might be possessed.

Every time he talks to himself, there is something in his eyes that disturbs me to the depth of my soul. When he notices me watching him, that "darkness" in his eyes is immediately gone. It's as if the devil does not want me to "see" it.

What do I do about these feelings I have about him?
Old Aug 3, '11, 8:44 pm

Default Re: Can you tell if someone is possessed...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auderyja View Post
Pray.
Luke 12:25
Old Aug 3, '11, 9:02 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
...by evil spirit?

I sense that my cousin may be under the influence of evil spirit. I can tell from his eyes. People would think that I am "self-righteous" for saying there is something wrong with others, when I don't see the log in my own eyes. However, he has mild schizophrenia and is under medication. But I believe no medicine would cure him because he might be possessed.

Every time he talks to himself, there is something in his eyes that disturbs me to the depth of my soul. When he notices me watching him, that "darkness" in his eyes is immediately gone. It's as if the devil does not want me to "see" it.

Consult an exorcist in your diocese....the diocesian office should be able to help you.

Or you can do some reading...The Rite by Matt Baglio is a recommended book.
Old Aug 3, '11, 9:14 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
...by evil spirit?

May the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

Possession is rare, but it does happen. If you are interested in a more detailed explanation of possession and exorcism, I would highly recommend the following book:

http://www.amazon.com/Interview-Exor.../dp/1932645969

God bless you,
Quis ut Deus 3
Old Aug 4, '11, 2:45 am
Forum Master

I'm afraid your 'feelings' could be ruled out as just that: feelings. I don't think you should worry about it. Unless your cousin has started strangling you while speaking in tongues, you're better off focusing on your own life.

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Aug 4, '11, 3:57 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
...by evil spirit?

NO. You cannot tell if a person is possessed. Only Church experts can tell and that would only be after all medical scenarios were explored and dismissed.
Old Aug 4, '11, 6:44 am

Religion: Liberal (Cafeteria/Candle) Catholic

Psychosis (which is part of mild schizophrenia) does tend to give you a wild/devilish/manic look in your eyes. I think you're reading too much into this
Old Aug 4, '11, 7:26 am

Religion: Catholic - revert in 1993

I have come to realize that we are all possessed with either good or evil spirits. Possession is far more common than most people realize!

Mark 12:30
ĎAnd you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.'
Old Aug 4, '11, 4:22 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sock View Post
I have come to realize that we are all possessed with either good or evil spirits. Possession is far more common than most people realize!
I totally disagree with you. What do you have to support such claims?
Old Aug 4, '11, 4:26 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic faithful to The Magisterium

Quote:
Robert,

Don't confuse temptation, obsession, oppression, with authentic possession, which is quite rare.

God bless.
Old Aug 4, '11, 5:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
I totally disagree with you. What do you have to support such claims?
I'm speaking as a psychologist (PhD) turned religious here. There's no way of proving or disproving the rates for each, but beware when Truth is reveled; then we will all see. (Please consider my vast experience when weighing the creditability of my claim.)

I'm definitely possessed by good and evil spirits. I can feel the effect of each on my mental thoughts and desires. This goes beyond temptation, and is subtle compared to what most people are led to believe about possession. Again, it's possession, with the Holy Spirit and Satan dwelling within me. This is what led me back to the Catholic Church, and which provided the Holy Spirit with the means to dominate in my continual spiritual battle of good and evil.

ĎAnd you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.'
Old Aug 4, '11, 5:12 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I'm speaking as a psychologist (PhD) turned religious here. There's no way of proving or disproving the rates for each, but beware when Truth is reveled; then we will all see. (Please consider my vast experience when weighing the creditability of my claim.)

I'm definitely possessed by good and evil spirits. I can feel the effect of each on my mental thoughts and desires. This goes beyond temptation, and is subtle compared to what most people are led to believe about possession. Again, it's possession, with the Holy Spirit and Satan dwelling within me. This is what led me back to the Catholic Church, and which provided the Holy Spirit with the means to dominate in my continual spiritual battle of good and evil.
It does not matter what your background is. If you make a claim it should be supported by something more than saying what your background is and how you feel.

By the way none of us have problems with the Holy Spirit dwelling in us. That's what we should all aim for. However, you said good spirits (plural). There is only one Holy Spirit.
Old Aug 4, '11, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
It does not matter what your background is. If you make a claim it should be supported by something more than saying what your background is and how you feel.

By the way none of us have problems with the Holy Spirit dwelling in us. That's what we should all aim for. However, you said good spirits (plural). There is only one Holy Spirit.
My claim is based on my expertise. Clearly expertise is worth something in an intellectual debate!

Good spirits for the three Persons of the Holy Trinity!

Old Aug 4, '11, 6:31 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Most people who think they are possessed are not. Do you have an extreme aversion to sacred objects? Do you blank out, and lose periods of time?

You might be experiencing some form of obsession or oppression, which is diabolical activity beyond normal temptations.

God bless you,
Quis ut Deus 3
Old Aug 4, '11, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quis ut Deus 3 View Post

Most people who think they are possessed are not. Do you have an extreme aversion to sacred objects? Do you blank out, and lose periods of time?

You might be experiencing some form of obsession or oppression, which is diabolical activity beyond normal temptations.

God bless you,
Quis ut Deus 3
Thanks for your concern! I used to have some of these symptoms when I was younger and under the influence of Satan, especially an aversion to sacred objects. Today the Holy Spirit is within me and I feel I'm winning the battle with Satan.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality