Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 13, '11, 12:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Which papal encyclicals are the most important to read?

I want to start reading the papal encyclicals from the time of Pope Pius IX. to our present Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI. Can you please recommend the most important ones that should be read? Thank you!
Old Aug 13, '11, 12:32 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Which papal encyclicals are the most important to read?

Rerum Novarum
Humanae Vitae
Old Aug 13, '11, 12:38 pm

It really depends on what you are looking for. Each one is important in it's own right. For a full understanding you should probably read them all.
Old Aug 13, '11, 12:45 pm

Religion: Catholic

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/JP02/index.htm
Old Aug 13, '11, 12:47 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Cradle Roman Catholic

I like this one

Pascendi Dominici Gregis
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius10/p10pasce.htm

And further back.....

Mirari Vos
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Greg16/g16mirar.htm
Old Aug 13, '11, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat71 View Post
It really depends on what you are looking for. Each one is important in it's own right. For a full understanding you should probably read them all.
I want to learn more about the Catholic history that I'm now a part of (I'm a convert) and want it to enrich my understanding of the faith and of course my faith itself.

Also, I'm very fascinated by Catholic life prior to Vatican II (without being critical of it) and would like to learn more about it and maybe even integrate some of it into my spiritual life (if the encyclicals are helpful for that).

Reading all of them might be quite a challenge and probably a good idea but I see that Pope Leo XIII alone wrote 85!!! For now, I just want a good overview of the development of the Catholic Church over the years up to the present and am therefore seeking the most important in that regard. Otherwise it would just be too confusing at this point.
Old Aug 13, '11, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandria View Post
I want to learn more about the Catholic history that I'm now a part of (I'm a convert) and want it to enrich my understanding of the faith and of course my faith itself.

Also, I'm very fascinated by Catholic life prior to Vatican II (without being critical of it) and would like to learn more about it and maybe even integrate some of it into my spiritual life (if the encyclicals are helpful for that).

Reading all of them might be quite a challenge and probably a good idea but I see that Pope Leo XIII alone wrote 85!!! For now, I just want a good overview of the development of the Catholic Church over the years up to the present and am therefore seeking the most important in that regard. Otherwise it would just be too confusing at this point.
Yes it would indeed be quite a challenge. Unfortunately if you pick and choose which ones to read you will more than likely come away with a somewhat skewed vision of the faith. What might be better at first would be to familiarize yourself with the Catechism and the Code of Canon Law. If you want you could also read the old Baltimore Catechism. That should give you a firm grounding in the faith.
Old Aug 13, '11, 7:22 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Trent View Post
I like this one

Pascendi Dominici Gregis
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius10/p10pasce.htm

And further back.....

Mirari Vos
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Greg16/g16mirar.htm

Personal Development for Entrepreneurs

OldTimeCatholic.com

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Aug 13, '11, 8:11 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

I would spend a whole 5 years on Humane Vitae,
Evangelium Vitae,
Castii Conubii
and the recent Benedict XVI Spe Salve,
and Sacramentum Caritatis

There is so much in these that one could spend a lifetime and not be finished in the discovery.

Castii Conubii is good to start with, then Humane Vitae, then Evangelium Vitae, then Spe Salvi, then Sacramentum Caritatis.

And together with this Theology of the Body of John Paul II. I would also spend 1 whole year meditating on the first three chapters of Genesis. There is so much there that the mind can be blown away.
Phhheeewwww Is that enough.
GA.
Old Aug 14, '11, 1:32 am

Quote:
I think I know what you mean, and I am undergoing a similar process of learning more about the "Pre-Vatican II era", however, to say you may even want to integrate some of it into your spiritual life is kind of silly when you consider how much of ALREADY IS not just a PART of your spiritual life, but central to it:

THE MASS
Confession
The Priesthood
The Bible
Sacred Tradition
and so much more....

All of that came from before Vatican II. Many people have sort of an idea in their head that the Church before Vatican II has been wiped away and replaced with something totally new- it's not a correct idea.

Pax and God Bless!

To your question on encyclicals, I've been reading a lot of the writings of Pope Leo XIII. His name keeps coming up in discussion on a variety of topics I'm interested in, and I'm trying to learn more about him.

Pax again!
Old Aug 14, '11, 6:41 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic 'Traditional'

Quote:
I want to start reading the papal encyclicals from the time of Pope Pius IX. to our present Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI. Can you please recommend the most important ones that should be read? Thank you!
The list is so long I don't even know where to start, I'll give you names rather than enyclicals for the sake of keeping this brief

I would read all of Pope Leo XIII's encyclicals, all of Pope Pius IX, St Pius X, Pius XI and Pius XII's encyclicals, pretty much all of their encyclical's are relevant to today, well writen and utterly fascinating.
Old Aug 14, '11, 12:19 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Cradle Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
What ? Every good Catholic should read those and judge all others by them

Ya gotta know the rules before ya go breaking them
Old Aug 14, '11, 12:44 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Anglican

I'm not Roman Catholic but one of the best encyclicals that I have read was Pope John Paul II's "Rosarium Virginis Mariae" which really opened my eyes to the Scriptural and Christian side of the Rosary. After reading it I realised that the Rosary was not only a Marian devotion but a reflection upon the whole life and work of Christ as seen by His Mother.

Opened my eyes to the beauty of Mariology...
Old Aug 14, '11, 2:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daly View Post
I think I know what you mean, and I am undergoing a similar process of learning more about the "Pre-Vatican II era", however, to say you may even want to integrate some of it into your spiritual life is kind of silly when you consider how much of ALREADY IS not just a PART of your spiritual life, but central to it:

THE MASS
Confession
The Priesthood
The Bible
Sacred Tradition
and so much more....

All of that came from before Vatican II. Many people have sort of an idea in their head that the Church before Vatican II has been wiped away and replaced with something totally new- it's not a correct idea.
That's not what I meant. I was thinking along the lines of popular devotions that were once widely practiced but have now fallen into disuse, at least where I live. But again, I don't know if the encyclicals are necessarily good for that.

Thanks everyone!
Old Aug 14, '11, 4:12 pm

Quote:
I was thinking along the lines of popular devotions that were once widely practiced but have now fallen into disuse, at least where I live. But again, I don't know if the encyclicals are necessarily good for that.
There have been encyclicals written to foster or encourage devotions in certain times in history. You might be interested in reading some of them.

There are encyclicals on St. Joseph, the Blessed Mother, the Rosary, the Sacred Heart of Jesus, etc..

I sometimes go through a list of encyclicals online and see what attracts me. Papalencyclicals.net is a very good site because the Latin titles of the encyclicals are translated into English so that you can scan the titles easily.

I read Pope Leo XIII's encyclical on the Holy Spirit where I found some really good prayer starters for prayers to the Holy Spirit. (Divinum Illud Munus - On the Holy Spirit Divinum)

I've learned a lot from reading encyclicals, but they have to be read in historical context and their language can be hard to understand -- Pope Leo's sentences are long!

Some encyclicals recommend or put into practice certain prayers to be said after Mass -- BUT that was at that time, not now. (I'm not sure if those devotions were temporary, sort of like how our parish said a prayer for priests before Mass during the Year of the Priest.)

Otherwise, a book on Catholic devotions might be what you're looking for. This one is very simple:

The How-to Book of Catholic Devotions

by Mike Aquilina and Regis J. Flaherty from Our Sunday Visitor (ISBN: 0-87973-415-9)

I hope this helps.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism