Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 17, '11, 8:07 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is it true that Mother Teresa prohibited pain medication from being given at her hospices/hospitals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmerger View Post
Thanks, friend!
You're cool, I like you!
Old Aug 17, '11, 8:23 am

Default Re: Is it true that Mother Teresa prohibited pain medication from being given at her hospices/hospitals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyTrinity View Post
Source: http://madmikesamerica.com/2011/02/c...in-donatedaid/

A heartbreaking testimonial by Sally Warner, a nurse with 13 years of experience working in M.C. homes

I have spent most of my time in the children’s homes, there were some I could not deal with, some of the ladies homes, and others where patients were just sitting around and doing nothing, often in cement floors and lying in their own excrements, people drugged wrongly by the nuns… anyone could just walk in and immediately see an average of 50 men and 50 women laying in cots and basically rotting away.

Sister Mary Prema, the current Superior General/CEO of Missionaries of Charity, says:
“… I am convinced that God allows suffering because it can transform us into better and more profound people. Thus, we are able to understand that this world and this life are not the ultimate goal, but that there is something more: the life of the soul which – if one really accepts suffering – is purified.”
But did the Sisters allow undue suffering with their position of authority? Or were they commenting on suffering they couldn't control due to lack of resources? How big were these operations, how many nurses were there? What was the nurse to patient ratio? Did they, in fact, have the supplies they needed to alleviate the above suffering described? Did they have help? Was the help educated? If not, why? Who was responsible for education?

Quote:
Sally Warner:
But how can this baby appreciate this in where she was being fed substitute milk “Monidyne” causing her to suffer marasmus? This is when as there is insufficient nutrition the body starts to eat itself- after the external muscles are depleted to provide fuel for the internal organs (and this child was probably at this stage); then the body starts breaking down the internal muscles of the organs – heart and brain and more.

Due to lack of interest and education the nuns did not follow the correct protocol to avoid this – by weighing the child and feeding appropriate corresponding amounts of protein and other items to save her life.
Due to neglect or lack of resources (proper nutrition, education of caregivers, availability of supplies)?

Quote:
But I witnessed 20 babies in her homes die unnecessarily…. her ‘miracle’ didn’t save them- only good nutrition, attention and real love would have.
Did they have adequate nutrition available? Is this reporter saying it was there, bit it not being used? What was the nurse to patient ratio? Is this reporter saying there was adequate staff to give the attention and love that every patient needed, and just not being delivered? We really can't tell...or can we? Are there any more articles that explain the whole picture instead of giving bits and pieces?

Quote:
The nun’s focus is on the spiritual well being, not the physical anguish. Indeed, they feel it is noble to suffer. From the article in Stern:

For a sustainable charitable system, it would have been sensible to train the nuns to become nurses, teachers or managers. But a Missionary of Charity nun is never trained for anything further.
Who is responsible for training the nunts to becoming nurses, teachers and managers? Were they capable of fulfilling these responsibilities on their own, or did another party (like the Vatican) have that responsibility? Who sends missionaries such as Mother Teresa to the field, and gives them the responsibilites they have? What kind of tools do they give her? Are they sending her Sisters without nursing experience expecting her to train them? What happened to all the nurses who were also nuns or sisters? What happened to all the Sisters who were also teachers? Why was Mother Teresa staffed with nuns who were not able to fulfull the needs of the mission?

Quote:
While the Missionaries of Charity have already withheld help from the starving in Ethiopia or the orphans in India — despite having received donations in their names — there are others who are being actively harmed by the organization’s ideology of disorganization.
Is there proof that they withheld help that was allocated?

Quote:
In 1994, Robin Fox, editor of the prestigious medical journal Lancet, in a commentary on the catastrophic conditions prevailing in Mother Teresa’s homes, shocked the professional world by saying that any systematic operation was foreign to the running of the homes in India: TB patients were not isolated, and syringes were washed in lukewarm water before being used again.

Even patients in unbearable pain were refused strong painkillers, not because the order did not have them, but on principle.
That is certainly disturbing...

Quote:
“The most beautiful gift for a person is that he can participate in the suffering of Christ,” said Mother Teresa. Once she had tried to comfort a screaming sufferer, “You are suffering, that means Jesus is kissing you.” The sufferer screamed back, furious, “Then tell your Jesus to stop kissing me.” ]
I agree....
Old Aug 17, '11, 8:28 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Yellow Belle you are not alone - many are questioning the ethics, morals, accountability and transparency of the workings of Missionaries of Charity.

A long while back I did read the article on Mother Teresa in the Lancet which is the worlds leading medical journal - I too was shocked by what was uncovered. I doubt that the editor had any negative thoughts of Mother Teresa prior to visiting some of the formed establishments of Mother Teresa including Home for the Dying. Like any person who stumbles across a situation that they believe is not right and unethical - it does need to be brought to the public's attention. I have seen in other articles not related to the Lancet that there have over time visits by many independent doctors and journalists visited Teresa's Calcutta Home for the Dying. Many common response was how inhumane the environments were.

What I recall and stood out for me in the article was that children were not prescribed medications or analgesia when sick or during painful treatments. He found that although the environment was clean, the procedures carried out where not. For example - needles and instruments where not sterilised and used on these gravely unwell children. That many volunteers had no medical knowledge, therefore gravely sick children where in the care of lay volunteers.

I just found a documentary by Christopher Hitchens which I will allow the viewer to make up their own minds.

http://youtu.be/9WQ0i3nCx60
http://youtu.be/iKkcDgeYBdk
http://youtu.be/qGuzFUeDDgY

http://youtu.be/30XdrOLT7J4
I might point out to those who do not already know that Christopher Hitchens has been an outspoken critic of Mother Teresa, Christianity, Judaism, and religion in general for many years. Therefore, I'm not so sure that his information can be considered authoritative and unbiased. The Lancet is a much more reliable source. Now it may be the case that what has been said regarding Mother Teresa is indeed true; but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt pending further investigation. And even if the allegations are true, I'm sure her intentions were good although she was misguided and overstepped her rights.
Old Aug 17, '11, 8:33 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
how did this thread get to two pages with no evidence to back up OP's claim?
I agree with you. To post such rumor against Mother Teresa, of all people, isn't something that should be done without evidence. All this is speculation and is kind of disgusting.
Mother Teresa did all she could to help people. Her whole life's plan was to bring Jesus to the poor, the sick, and the dying. I'm sure she did the best she could with the resources she had available.
Old Aug 17, '11, 9:56 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Revert to Traditional Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnlern View Post
I agree with you. To post such rumor against Mother Teresa, of all people, isn't something that should be done without evidence. All this is speculation and is kind of disgusting.
Mother Teresa did all she could to help people. Her whole life's plan was to bring Jesus to the poor, the sick, and the dying. I'm sure she did the best she could with the resources she had available.
Old Aug 17, '11, 10:05 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntalKalnoky View Post
Look, folks, this thread was placed so I could find out if the OP is true.

Is there another way that you suggest I find out, using this forum, if this atheist's claim is correct?

25 Random Things About Me

Visit my blog: 3 Minute Apologetics
Old Aug 17, '11, 10:44 am

Religion: Catholic. Never doubted. Jesus, I Trust in You!

Wikipedia (for what it's worth):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionaries_of_Charity

<-Scroll down to "Controversy" and read. One of the world's loudest atheists is there.

Sure, some are cured-but most have NOWHERE to go. They are at the end of their rope. Destitute. Bottom of the barrel.

Infected, disease-ridden, dying of AIDS...

Poorest of the Poor.

They have nowhere else to go. If they did, they wouldn't come to the Missionaries of Charity. Period.

When you hit rock bottom-God is there. <-This, is the message.

Satan doesn't like it.
Christopher Hitchens doesn't like it.

Poorest of the Poor. If they had somewhere else to go-they would.

Without the Missionaries of Charity-they would suffer and die alone in filth. Lonely, full of despair.

Amen.

God Bless you.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn
"Say the Rosary every day...Pray, pray a lot and offer sacrifices for sinners...I'm Our Lady of the Rosary. Only I will be able to help you. ...In the end My Immaculate Heart will triumph." -Our Lady at Fatima

The Blue Army
Rosary Confraternity
Old Aug 17, '11, 11:12 am
Forum Master

The atheist claims are based on only one artical, and Hitchens and all others used this article to further perpetrate what Fox stated

Dr. Robin Fox, editor of the British medical journal "The Lancet", is who criticized Mother Teresa for unsatisfactory medical competency, noting a [“neglect of diagnosis” and the lack of "good" analgesia in the care of the poor] she devoted herself to.

From this point everything jumps off. However I see no statements since the original 1991 artical above by Fox except "No Comment". I haven't looked deep into this either.

Hitchens to a degree contadicts this here "Hitchens alleged that there was no examination of the witnesses who claimed that Monica Besra was not cured by a miracle but by prescription medicine."

Peace

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Aug 17, '11, 11:26 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnInTexas View Post

Without the Missionaries of Charity-they would suffer and die alone in filth. Lonely, full of despair.
No doubt about that. This was not a thread about whether the Missionaries of Charity are providing love and spiritual succor to the poorest of the poor.

Rather, this thread was started in order to find an argument to dispute the claim that Mother Teresa did not allow pain medication at her sites.

Old Aug 17, '11, 11:28 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTaylor View Post
The atheist claims are based on only one artical, and Hitchens and all others used this article to further perpetrate what Fox stated
I think this solves the matter. It does appear that the claim is based only on one article and an unsubstantiated one at that.

Old Aug 17, '11, 11:37 am

Quote:

Well, I could give another point of view to that claim that she did all she could with the resources available. My neighbour, a nurse, went to a MC home in India to do voluntary service. She was horrified how dirty the children's clothes were, and even more,how their nappies were not changed as often as they should be, with the result that they were sore.

In the basement she came across four brand-new Ariston washing-machines donated by someone (presumably by Ariston) , still wrapped in plastic. She tried to get the sisters to change the children's clothes and nappies more often, pointing out that they could be washed in these machines, only to be told that they weren't allowed to use them, as 'Mother' said they had to live as the poorest do, and the poor don't have washing-machines, they do their washing by hand and the sisters didn't have time to do all the washing that was needed.

She came home heartbroken and sickened, having gone out full of admiration. It was one thing for the sisters to live according to what 'Mother' said, she felt, but they were wrong to impose these standards on babies and cause them suffering.
Old Aug 17, '11, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwight66 View Post
Well, I could give another point of view to that claim that she did all she could with the resources available. My neighbour, a nurse, went to a MC home in India to do voluntary service. She was horrified how dirty the children's clothes were, and even more,how their nappies were not changed as often as they should be, with the result that they were sore.

In the basement she came across four brand-new Ariston washing-machines donated by someone (presumably by Ariston) , still wrapped in plastic. She tried to get the sisters to change the children's clothes and nappies more often, pointing out that they could be washed in these machines, only to be told that they weren't allowed to use them, as 'Mother' said they had to live as the poorest do, and the poor don't have washing-machines, they do their washing by hand and the sisters didn't have time to do all the washing that was needed.

She came home heartbroken and sickened, having gone out full of admiration. It was one thing for the sisters to live according to what 'Mother' said, she felt, but they were wrong to impose these standards on babies and cause them suffering.
I don't know your friend and so can't comment on what she told you. However, there have been many people who volunteered over the years at Mother's houses. Don't you think that if there was that much of a problem in how the children and people were treated, there'd have been an outcry in the media? The media hates the Catholic church and would just love to drag down someone of Mother Teresa's stature.
One more comment. Modern washing machines need electricity which costs money. Maybe the money they had was needed in other ways. From what I've read Mother Teresa used every penny of money she could get her hands on to help the people in her care.
Old Aug 17, '11, 4:53 pm
Banned

This woman is no saint and nor is her organization anything remotely charitable.

This says it all, in my opinion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...uses-nuns.html
Old Aug 17, '11, 5:10 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

There will always be people who are ungrateful, for whatever personal reasons. I refuse to take this article, posted by Arkadin, at face value. As to its mention of Mother Teresa's "crisis of faith," that must be taken in context, not only that of her own spiritual journey but of the crisis of faith which is part of so many saints' lives as well as other Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and so forth. This thread--through no fault of the OP--seems to be evolving into a bash-Mother-Teresa party. Similar tactics have been employed with regard to Pope John Paul II and his reported connection with the Nazis by way of a munitions factory, as well as the alleged collaboration of the Church with the Nazi regime. There are too many people who have an ax to grind.
Old Aug 17, '11, 5:16 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
There will always be people who are ungrateful, for whatever personal reasons. I refuse to take this article, posted by Arkadin, at face value. As to its mention of Mother Teresa's "crisis of faith," that must be taken in context, not only that of her own spiritual journey but of the crisis of faith which is part of so many saints' lives as well as other Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and so forth. This thread--through no fault of the OP--seems to be evolving into a bash-Mother-Teresa party. Similar tactics have been employed with regard to Pope John Paul II and his reported connection with the Nazis by way of a munitions factory, as well as the alleged collaboration of the Church with the Nazi regime. There are too many people who have an ax to grind.
Her faith crisis is big and in the letters she wrote to priest (she wished for them to be burned after her death, but they went against that). You have no problem with someone who is considered by some to be a saintly woman and yet in her very own words said that her smile was a facade to hide her unbelief?

I think you have some muck in your eyes.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence