Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 30, '11, 9:19 am
Veteran Member
Greeter
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to newbetx
Default Re: The Longest Conversation Thread Vol LII

so when did they change the skype status to "send a message via skype to newbetex"???

Aloha!
Newbetx
Old Sep 30, '11, 9:22 am
Veteran Member
Greeter
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbetx View Post
so when did they change the skype status to "send a message via skype to newbetex"???
and then it changes back!

weird...

Aloha!
Newbetx
Old Sep 30, '11, 10:21 am
Veteran Member
Greeter
Forum Supporter

90 days so far this year over 100. Glad I missed many of them although it's been tough to be away from home.

Officially, Austin got a tenth of an inch of rain this week. That would be 0.1 in of rain in about 4 months I think... my house didn't get any. Neighbor's well is dry. Worse drought on record here.

If Vivienne came to visit, she would almost feel at home! Welcome to the New Sahara!

Aloha!
Newbetx
Old Sep 30, '11, 11:16 am
Veteran Member

TGIF!

We had our Mission Day today at work. It's put on by the Mission Team who are the Nuns, Pastors, and Pastoral Care employees. It's 4 hours long and every employee is strongly urged to attend a session. It's supposed to be a day to relax and focus on our hospitals mission statement.

Our CEO opened up by explaining (with graphs and charts) that there is a "Healthcare Bubble" just like a "Housing bubble" and the healthcare bubble is about to burst. Frightening news. So the theme for this year's mission day was Resiliency and how to block out negativity. It really was quite fulfilling. The guest speaker told a story about his grandfather who, at 12 years old, had his father abandon the family. His mother was sick with Consumption (Tuberculosis) and he had 2 younger brothers. So he went to work in the coal mines to provide for his mother and 2 brothers. He led a long hard life with lots of ups and downs but as an old man, he'd never forgotten how to laugh. I tend to feel sorry for myself and get all down in the dumps. I'm going to try to do better from here on out seeing the brighter side and getting back up to start again. They should have a Mission Day every month!
Christopher
Old Sep 30, '11, 11:33 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbetx View Post
90 days so far this year over 100. Glad I missed many of them although it's been tough to be away from home.

Officially, Austin got a tenth of an inch of rain this week. That would be 0.1 in of rain in about 4 months I think... my house didn't get any. Neighbor's well is dry. Worse drought on record here.

If Vivienne came to visit, she would almost feel at home! Welcome to the New Sahara!
Sorry to hear you've been so long without rain. Here, as it is the desert, we don't expect it for more than a few days each year and what celebration there is, especially among those of us who come from wetter climates, when it does rain. I know from home though how horrible it is when it just persists hot and dry and everything dries up.

Mother, Mother-in-law, Granny (2 girls & 2 boys )

I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord . . . . . to give you a future with hope. Jer 29:11
Old Sep 30, '11, 11:36 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtech View Post
TGIF!

We had our Mission Day today at work. It's put on by the Mission Team who are the Nuns, Pastors, and Pastoral Care employees. It's 4 hours long and every employee is strongly urged to attend a session. It's supposed to be a day to relax and focus on our hospitals mission statement.

Our CEO opened up by explaining (with graphs and charts) that there is a "Healthcare Bubble" just like a "Housing bubble" and the healthcare bubble is about to burst. Frightening news. So the theme for this year's mission day was Resiliency and how to block out negativity. It really was quite fulfilling. The guest speaker told a story about his grandfather who, at 12 years old, had his father abandon the family. His mother was sick with Consumption (Tuberculosis) and he had 2 younger brothers. So he went to work in the coal mines to provide for his mother and 2 brothers. He led a long hard life with lots of ups and downs but as an old man, he'd never forgotten how to laugh. I tend to feel sorry for myself and get all down in the dumps. I'm going to try to do better from here on out seeing the brighter side and getting back up to start again. They should have a Mission Day every month!
Sounds as though it was a really good day. It's the kind of thing we can so easily forget and get all bowed down and bent out of shape.

I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord . . . . . to give you a future with hope. Jer 29:11
Old Sep 30, '11, 11:43 am
Book Club Member

I must share the story of my progress. For just over a month now I've been exercising (almost) every day and really watching what I eat (until an assistant gave me honey and sesame coated cashew nuts from Bangkok this week).

Well, the improvement in my fitness level has been dramatic, I can climb the stairs at work and not be totally out of breath at the top; I have lost 6kg (13 lbs) and 22,5cm (nearly 9 in); it feels really good.

Old Sep 30, '11, 12:37 pm

Hello redtech

Enjoy your time today , thought`s are with you on your successful and new intentions .

My holiday venture didn`t go exactly to plan , but on the up side i enjoyed the journey and waved back at the sea .
Old Sep 30, '11, 1:04 pm

Thought`s are with you MaryB23
Old Sep 30, '11, 1:32 pm
Veteran Member

Newb, maybe that rain that your area got was just a primer for more rain to come.

Viv - that's great that you are doing so well! I'm proud of you! I haven't been on the treadmill in quite some time. I took a week to recover after that 5K and now I've been working on the kids Halloween costumes for the better part of my evenings. I've been trying to eat smaller portions though and take the stairs at work. Sometimes I do, other times I forget that I'm trying to do that and get on the elevator out of habit.

Christian Polk - Sorry you didn't have a stellar vacation. Did you remember to wear a silly hat and sunglasses though?
Christopher
Old Sep 30, '11, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Newb, maybe that rain that your area got was just a primer for more rain to come.

Viv - that's great that you are doing so well! I'm proud of you! I haven't been on the treadmill in quite some time. I took a week to recover after that 5K and now I've been working on the kids Halloween costumes for the better part of my evenings. I've been trying to eat smaller portions though and take the stairs at work. Sometimes I do, other times I forget that I'm trying to do that and get on the elevator out of habit.

Christian Polk - Sorry you didn't have a stellar vacation. Did you remember to wear a silly hat and sunglasses though?

No i didn`t forget , but i opted for my traditional don`t laugh at me type short`s instead .
Old Sep 30, '11, 2:34 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
and take the stairs at work. Sometimes I do, other times I forget that I'm trying to do that and get on the elevator out of habit.
At school we don't have an elevator so I go up and down the flight of stairs at least 3 times a day - it's at my apartment that I forget, especially as I the elevator is between my apartment and the stairs

Old Oct 1, '11, 9:10 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Hi!

We've been busy as usual. Today was our neighborhood's annual huge garage sale. I mean huge....as in they have cops patrolling the neighborhood all night the evening before to make sure no one gets their items stolen from their property (people set up the day before on their porches or yards and then covered them in tarps...because garage salers were here at 6:30 am waiting outside your house to buy stuff!). So huge that the neighborhood committee sends out info for you to fill out what items you will be selling (you didn't have to list your items, which we did not...we didn't want people waiting outside too early for us to open the doors, lol), and collects $10 per house to rent porta potties that are scattered thruout the neighborhood. They then take the info you send in, make a list of all participating homes w/ addresses, w/ a map attached and notes on the homes that will let neighbors come shop the day prior. It was so unbelievably organized I was blown away, lol. This garage sale wasso huge that an ATM truck was brought in and parked for customers to take out cash. And so huge that they had 4 cops driving all thruout the streets most all day long. Oh, and so huge that the line to get into our subdivision was backed up on the main road for over a mile most of the day! :-0 Talk about insane! I've never seen anything like it, lol. And many houses were selling food, such as the Hispanic family down the street, they were selling authentic tacos and they were delish! An oriental family was selling homemade egg rolls and noodles (also delish, lol). The streets were packed w/ people from about 6:30am til 1pm.
Yep, that was our Saturday, then MM went to work and I went to get groceries and dinner for the kiddos.

Hope you guys are having a great weekend.

"Every Mother is a Working Woman."
Old Oct 2, '11, 5:37 am
Book Club Member

Wow, Mamacita, that sounds like an amazing community event!

I like the idea of folks selling traditional food!

Old Oct 2, '11, 7:54 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I know, Viv, me too! Love trying new foods, too. The guy who was in charge of organizing the whole garage sale sent out an email today saying that he had several people stop by who were not from our neighborhood tell him they were envious of the way this was all put together so nicely.

"Every Mother is a Working Woman."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence