Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 6, '05, 11:07 am

Default How long can a priest be assigned to a parish?

I have a question? Is there a specific amount of time or limit to how long a priest can serve at one parish? In the Saginaw (Michigan) diocese, for years, the priests were always assigned either for 3, or 6, or 9 years but no longer than that.

I wondered if this was something specific to the diocese or bishop. I am aware that for example years ago (in the early 1900s) there were priests that stayed as long as 25 years at one parish.

Just wondering.
Old Jun 6, '05, 11:11 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Saint Andrew
Default Re: How long can a priest be assigned to a parish?

Hello

I am from England, and I think the maximum amont a priest can stay in modern times here is 13 years with permission of the bishop, normally 5 to 6 years and they are on the move.

I know one or two who have served 13 years in one parish, one currently and one in the past.

God Bless
Saint Andrew.
Old Jun 6, '05, 11:22 am

I can't answer that question. I know that my Priest has been at our church since 1974! I know that is unusual but it's true. He is close to retirement age and I will hate to see him go. He is one of two Priests at my church. The other has been there since 1992. At my former Parish, the Priest has been there since the late 1980's. I know of others who have been at their Church for more than 15 years and there are some who have only stayed between 5 to 10 years. I don't know how it is determined how long a Priest will stay at a parish.
Old Jun 6, '05, 12:47 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucania
I can't answer that question. I know that my Priest has been at our church since 1974! I know that is unusual but it's true. He is close to retirement age and I will hate to see him go. He is one of two Priests at my church. The other has been there since 1992. At my former Parish, the Priest has been there since the late 1980's. I know of others who have been at their Church for more than 15 years and there are some who have only stayed between 5 to 10 years. I don't know how it is determined how long a Priest will stay at a parish.
Was your parish founded in 1974 by the priest you mentioned? If so, he does not have to leave, but can stay until he retires or dies.

Our founding priest was asked to retire "for health reasons" but actually the bishop thought he was going to put in someone more in tune with the modernists. He got his way with that, but our people made such a fuss about the forced retirement thing that our founding priest was named "pastor emeritus" and so can never be told he cannot preach or celebrate Mass at our parish. Btw, our more modernist priest is moving on and we are getting priests to replace him that don't preach psychobabble but plain Catholic teaching, thanks be to God!
Old Jun 6, '05, 12:49 pm
Book Club Member

Our diocese assigns priests for six years and they have an option to extend another six years after that.

Penitent
Old Jun 6, '05, 2:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della
Was your parish founded in 1974 by the priest you mentioned? If so, he does not have to leave, but can stay until he retires or dies.

Our founding priest was asked to retire "for health reasons" but actually the bishop thought he was going to put in someone more in tune with the modernists. He got his way with that, but our people made such a fuss about the forced retirement thing that our founding priest was named "pastor emeritus" and so can never be told he cannot preach or celebrate Mass at our parish. Btw, our more modernist priest is moving on and we are getting priests to replace him that don't preach psychobabble but plain Catholic teaching, thanks be to God!
No. My parish just celebrated their 150 year anniversary last December. I'm going to do some investigating to find out what the guidelines/rules for Priest tenure in my Diocese is. Now that the question has been asked, I'm curious! My Church is the only one in our Diocese of St. Augustine that offers a Tridentine Mass. Both Priests can speak Latin , I don't know if that has anything to do with why they are at my church for a long time or not. Anyway, I hope neither of them leave anytime soon. We love them both! I am glad to hear that your Pastor was named "Pastor Emeritus."
I'll keep your Parish in my prayers that a good, Holy Priest will be assigned to you.
Old Jun 6, '05, 2:13 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

This may differ across dioceses but over here it's a maximum of 6 years for a priest, 12 years for a priest who is also the pastor and no upper maximum for Msgrs.
Old Jun 6, '05, 2:23 pm
Banned

.........in our parish the norm is 10 years.... the current priest is working on 15, the one before him had about 15, the one before him had 10 and the one before him had 40 years..... seems, it's pretty much up to the bishop....

Peace
Old Jun 6, '05, 2:34 pm

In my diocese the maximum is 10 years and that's for pastors. The pastor serves for 5 years at the parish, if the people like him they can petition for another 5 years with him but after that, he is re-assigned. The exception is parishes in large ethnic communities. The priests at the Basilica have been there for a long time becuase it is an Polish community with a need for Polish speaking priests.
Old Jun 7, '05, 1:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della
Actually, canonically, any pastor really can't be removed without his consent except for serious reasons.
Old Jun 7, '05, 1:31 am

It varies by diocese. Each had it's own policy.

Canonically, once a priest in installed as a pastor, he really can not be removed by the bishop without his own consent, except for serious reason. However, many dioceses have policies that the priests have agreed to which permits pastors to stay only for up to a certain amount of time. Associate/affiliate/whatever your diocese calls assistant priests who are not pastors may either stay indefinitely or for only up to a similar predefined period of time. Some dioceses only assign newly ordained priests to their first assignment for a shorter period. In some diocese, priests get shuffled around, regularly changing parishes. In others they remain relatively stable.
Old Jun 7, '05, 5:39 am

As others have said, each diocese is different. As a rule of thumb, in my diocese most priests are reassigned every 5-10 years. There are exceptions though. It has long (50+ years) been the policy here for priests that work for the bishop also to be assigned a parish to live in and be an assistant or pastor depending on their diocesean duties. They tend to never be reassigned unless they lose their duties at the diocesean office. Other priests that have talent in writing or art often times are assigned to small, dying urban or rural parishes so they will have time to pursue their talent.
Old Jun 19, '13, 2:04 pm
Banned

Our parish has being lumbered with a sedentary priest for 7 years now. The congregation has almost being halved over that time. We were hoping that he would get moved on but it looks like he is here to stay.
He cannot be faulted on any liturgical or moral grounds. All of the members of our congregation say that they respect him but - and there is always a but - Well to put it mildly! We all think that he is a stick in the mud.
He always ignores any suggestion that anyone puts to him for possible improvements to church governance. We are not even allowed to create a parish committee to organize volunteers for church cleaning and maintaining the church gardens which are almost an acre in size. He has never made any attempt to decrease the church debt by organizing fundraising events and has continually increased the debt by using expensive contractors.
He doesnít live in the presbytery which is a beautiful manor house adjoining the church, a grade II listed building. and he insisted upon incurring an enormous debt for the parish by buying an adjoining semi-detached house off the church site where he lives and where no one has ever set foot inside it ever. So the old presbytery is slowly deteriorating and is never used for anything anymore. Itís absolutely criminal when you think about it.
His sermons are dull, uninspiring and repetitive, and the congregation has being gradually whittled down to mainly just the diehards that have been coming to the church for donkeys years and some of us suspect that he has being sent to our parish because the diocese wants to sell it off because its worth millions with all of the land around it.
Itís actually heart breaking because the parish used to be very vibrant and had an enormous women's club and was the hub of the Irish Catholic community, and had a full time gardener that maintained a lovely rose garden with gorgeous prune trees and an enormous raspberry field from which tones of jam was made every year.
So the simple question is how do we get rid of a priest that thinks that he is doing good when in fact he is slowly but gradually killing off our church because he is probably a liturgy queen?
Old Jun 19, '13, 3:17 pm
Forum Master

Since our parish was erected in 1958, we've been served by OMI priests. In fact, all the priests and bishops for our diocese were Oblate.

The one who founded the parish was here from 1958-74. At that point his Province turned our diocese over to another Oblate Province and since then the priests have rarely been here longer than 4 years. That was mainly due to the aging of the priests and the lack of vocations in that Province. In 10 days the last Oblate will leave our diocese and move back to the city.

I've been in this parish since 1997 and in those 16 years we've had 6 Pastors (and two periods of being overseen by an adminstrator, the first time for 6 months and the last time from Aug. 2011- Aug. 2012). The diocesan priest who is now our Pastor has informed the bishop that he'll only leave here feet first (he's in his late 60s).

Old Jun 19, '13, 4:55 pm

Send a message via Skype™ to opiemuyo

Whilst there are guidelines out there I think that is up to the Bishop. It's his dioceses. He has to bear in mind that the priest is sworn to obey, but not obligated to agree with his decisions

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence