Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 19, '11, 1:47 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question Scapular never to be taken off!?

I read somewhere that a scapular is never to be taken off, is this true? If so, are there some cases in which it can be take off? Such as taking a shower so the picture on the scapular won't get messed up, or taking it off when you're sleeping, so you won't choke on it when it gets tangled, or when a couple is you know...."making" a baby (I'm being completely serious here).

Would taking it off be a mortal sin?

Are you a proud Hispanic Catholic too? Come join the group!

http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1318
Old Aug 19, '11, 1:58 pm

Default Re: Scapular never to be taken off!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingtheway View Post
I read somewhere that a scapular is never to be taken off, is this true? If so, are there some cases in which it can be take off? Such as taking a shower so the picture on the scapular won't get messed up, or taking it off when you're sleeping, so you won't choke on it when it gets tangled, or when a couple is you know...."making" a baby (I'm being completely serious here).

No, I don't believe it is even a venial sin to take it off for sleep, bathing, etc. From the Catholic Encyclopedia:

Quote:
To share in the indulgences and privileges of a scapular, one must wear it constantly; it may be worn over or under one's clothing and may be laid aside for a short time, if necessary. Should one have ceased wearing the scapular for a long period (even through indifference), one gains none of the indulgences during this time, but, by simply resuming the scapular, one again participates in the indulgences, privileges, etc.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13508b.htm
Old Aug 19, '11, 2:02 pm

It's up to the person whether or not they want to take it off to bathe. I know that taking it off is definitely not a mortal sin.
Old Aug 19, '11, 2:04 pm

Wink Re: Scapular never to be taken off!?

Quote:

You have to take it off sometime... it is not sinful as I understand it. I do not generally take mine off except on occasions where it might get tangled, lost, etc... (would you go swimming of water skiing with it on?)

I wear mine to bed. They're not so well constructed that they won't break under pressure, so I'm not really worried about choking.

Some people do take theirs off in the shower and such.. nothing is wrong with that. I prefer to keep mine on as much as possible... I feel naked without it.
Old Aug 19, '11, 2:16 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)

Remember, as it was explained to me at least, it is not the scapular that is blessed, but the wearer.

I take mine off at bedtime, and to shower.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Aug 19, '11, 2:27 pm

I take mine off to shower. I always wear it to bed!
Old Aug 19, '11, 2:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
You're braver than me

I may give it a try, though. I really hate taking it off.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Aug 19, '11, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
You're braver than me

It's not unbreakable... its not like wearing a strong chain or a shoestring around your neck. I don't thing the structure of it has a chance to hold at the necessary tension to strangle you. ...barring some freak accident
Old Aug 19, '11, 2:45 pm
Prayer Warrior

I wear my scapular always except to shower. I wear it when I sleep too. The reason I take it off to shower is so it wouldn't get all messed up.

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Aug 19, '11, 2:49 pm

The only time my scapular is off is for a shower. I wear to bed at night along with my crucifix on a long cord. Couldn't find a chain stout enough to keep it together.

The only problem I have is with the long cord for the crucifix. The scapular is fine.

And, NO its not a sin of any variety to take off the scapular. The wearing of one is an optional devotion.
Old Aug 19, '11, 2:51 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
I
there is no obligation whatever to wear it so there is no reason not to take it off if you think it appropriate. you don't really think you are intended to wear it without ever cleaning it, do you? please please folks tell me where you get these ideas because I seriously want to know who is giving your reason to ask about sin in such a context
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
You're braver than me

why do you think you have to be brave to take it off? I really want to know because it sounds very much like superstition to me
Old Aug 19, '11, 3:18 pm

I think the thought about never taking it off comes from the promise of "whoever dies wearing this scapular..."etc. So some people are so concerned about dying, and so scrupulous, that they literally never take it off unless they have an immediate replacement at hand.

I just recently learned that it's fine to take it off temporarily, for brief periods. When I was performing I belonged to the "never take it off" gang, and had rigged my scapular with somewhat longer nylon fishing line cords so that it would be invisible under a costume. As you can well imagine, my scapulars got pretty gamy pretty fast. In Soho there is a little patch of ground outside my old apartment that has probably a couple hundred old scapulars in varying states of decomposition where the old ones got buried when they got so ripe that I was forced to replace them. I used to buy them by the dozen a couple of times a year. I'm kind of kicking myself now at how neurotic that was! But nobody told me otherwise, and I didn't want to risk dropping dead without it on.

I can see where that borders on superstition.

Naturally, if you adhere to the requirements of the scapular, you probably aren't in a state of mortal sin, so you probably wouldn't go to hell anyways. And since you still are enrolled in the Carmelite confraternity, you would probably be able to get the Sabbatine privilege if, for example, your hair dryer fell into the bathtub and electrocuted you while you were taking a bath with your scapular nearby on the vanity. Although I don't know anyone dumb enough to leave a hair dryer plugged in near a bathtub while they were taking a bath! If there's anyone smarter than me that can explain it, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Thinking it through a little further, I doubt Mary would ask us to do anything that flies in the face of common sense, or anything onerous. The entire point of the scapular was to provide an easy reminder of devotion to her, not a rigorous set of rules that we had to conform with or hoops we had to jump through.

Nowadays, I take mine off when I do strenuous exercise, when I shower, or when I go to bed.
Old Aug 19, '11, 3:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

I think it would be very hard to commit any sort of sin here. The promises of the scapular are private revelation, and not binding on one single Catholic. God will only punish us for disobeying dogma, not for disobeying something that is not even necessary for salvation. I'm even free to think that the whole thing isn't true, though I don't. It's perfectly fine to take off your scapular, and you need not worry about the state of your soul due to such an action.

A story of my path to priesthood
Old Aug 19, '11, 3:35 pm
Banned

Quote:

No, I always take mine off for lifes necessities and baths and showers.
Old Aug 19, '11, 3:36 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
I take mine off to shower and while I swim as the chlorine ruins it. But always wear it at bedtime and other times.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism