Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 22, '11, 4:56 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default How do I teach my children about homosexuality being wrong?

How do I teach my children about homosexuality being wrong?

I am Catholic and am raising my children Catholic. I actively am involved with the church.

I am a homemaker and have four children, one boy and three girls. One daughter is in high school, one in middle and one in pre-k. My son is 2 yrs old and stays at home.

My daughter's in middle and high school are experiencing piers involved with homosexuality. I don't know how to protect them from it. I explained that it is wrong in the Catholic church, but I never expected that this age would be so accepting of it in music, education and television programming. I feel as though its being shoved down my throat. Its even on toddler tv programming. I see innuendos everywhere.

Its so excepted as the norm now. I don't know what to do, I am at loss of how to teach my children. I have a cousin who just came out not too long ago and said he was gay. I teach my children that its not right but to treat people as they would be treated and not to judge but don't condone it. Is this right?

Advice needed thanks
Old Aug 22, '11, 5:40 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian in the Holy Catholic Church
Default Re: How do I teach my children about homosexuality being wrong?

I'm a teenager myself, and I don't know how someone can approve of homosexual actions. It's called sodomy. Maybe you could read to your kids the story about Sodom and Gomorrah.

Homosexual actions (if you know what I mean ) can't produce life, and therefore are sinful. Sorry if I'm not explaining this as well as I should, but I'm not too good at explaining.

*I converted to Catholicism on the Easter Vigil on 3/30/13. Some posts may contain information that I believe is incorrect or was poorly understood. Usually someone else is a better source for a Catholic voice.
Old Aug 22, '11, 6:19 pm

I agree. The bible is revelation from our creator, and He is much more knowledgeable than we are. The Sodom and Gomorra story is a good place to start.

The old testament and new testament are pretty clear on same sex relations. It is an abomination.

Your kids, if they are in a public school, will be told differently in their classes. Indoctrination is the game that is being played today. Many parents are unaware.
Old Aug 22, '11, 6:19 pm

Religion: catholic

I think you need to start with the ten commandments not singling out a particular sin. Giving a good explanation of each commandment and how it relates to them in their everyday life. Give them examples of each sin that they may observe being commited and why it is wrong. Of course this needs to be done over time at opportune moments. As you approach each commandment over time, teaching them to judge the action not the person is important. I think if you need to emphasize all single people are called to lead chaste lives. We all have sinful tendancies we need to overcome. Children today have so much to deal with, I feel sorry for parents today. I pray for you. Of course you have to speak at their level and needs. Take it as it comes and try not to dwell on any particular thing until it becomes an issue that needs addressing. I'm sorry I'm out of touch with raising kids and the modern challenges. My only child is 25 and single and I have no grandkids yet. Hope my advice is useful I know my prayers will be.
Old Aug 22, '11, 6:26 pm

Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings

Why worry about this when they have been raised all their lives to know what the church teaches and what their family has acted like as an example? It is very easy to worry about the sky falling too. But, until you have a reason to worry why not trust your ability as a parent and religious educator in your child's life unless you are worried you did not give a good example to them somehow?

Strawberry Fields Forever
Old Aug 22, '11, 6:36 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian in the Holy Catholic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel63 View Post
Your kids, if they are in a public school, will be told differently in their classes. Indoctrination is the game that is being played today. Many parents are unaware.
I go to a public school. You may be right if homosexuality was ever brought up, but the topic isn't discussed in the classroom. indoctrination is right in science however, unless the teacher is a Catholic.

*I converted to Catholicism on the Easter Vigil on 3/30/13. Some posts may contain information that I believe is incorrect or was poorly understood. Usually someone else is a better source for a Catholic voice.
Old Aug 22, '11, 6:47 pm

Religion: Jewish with MA in Catholic theology

So long as you don't reject them if they tell you they are gay, all you have to do is love your wife, treat her as a queen and show them what a happy marriage is like. Above all, don't make your whole relationship with your kids about worrying that they might be gay. That's destructive. You want your kids to feel safe with you. If they ask you questions about sexuality, answer them honestly and give your views. Never, never tell them that gay people are cursed by God or not worth loving. Most kids today have gay friends or know at least one terrific person who is gay and your kid will decide that you are a judgmental freak not to be trusted. Tell them about married love in a way that will help them remain chaste and give themselves to their spouses on the wedding night.
Old Aug 22, '11, 7:34 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

why not contact your online or real life friend who are homeschooling Catholic curriculum. Maybe there are books that teach about what the Church teaches regarding homosexuality. More importantly, be a living example for your kids.

Start with the basics, start with biology, according to the appropriateness considering the age of the kids: only one man and woman can make a child. Sex, in order to be morally licit in the eyes of the Church, has to be both unitive and procreative. That can only be done with a man and a woman who are married in the Church. It's as simple as that...I think. Probably easier with the high schooler, huh?

I think I was a middle schooler when I had "the tawk".
Old Aug 22, '11, 7:45 pm

Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rence View Post
why not contact your online or real life friend who are homeschooling Catholic curriculum. Maybe there are books that teach about what the Church teaches regarding homosexuality. More importantly, be a living example for your kids.

Start with the basics, start with biology, according to the appropriateness considering the age of the kids: only one man and woman can make a child. Sex, in order to be morally licit in the eyes of the Church, has to be both unitive and procreative. That can only be done with a man and a woman who are married in the Church. It's as simple as that...I think. Probably easier with the high schooler, huh?

I think I was a middle schooler when I had "the tawk".
Making children and taking care of them are two different balls of wax.

Strawberry Fields Forever
Old Aug 22, '11, 8:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryJam View Post
Making children and taking care of them are two different balls of wax.
Yes, they are.
Old Aug 22, '11, 11:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccasmith198 View Post

I am Catholic and am raising my children Catholic. I actively am involved with the church.

I am a homemaker and have four children, one boy and three girls. One daughter is in high school, one in middle and one in pre-k. My son is 2 yrs old and stays at home.

My daughter's in middle and high school are experiencing piers involved with homosexuality. I don't know how to protect them from it. I explained that it is wrong in the Catholic church, but I never expected that this age would be so accepting of it in music, education and television programming. I feel as though its being shoved down my throat. Its even on toddler tv programming. I see innuendos everywhere.

Its so excepted as the norm now. I don't know what to do, I am at loss of how to teach my children. I have a cousin who just came out not too long ago and said he was gay. I teach my children that its not right but to treat people as they would be treated and not to judge but don't condone it. Is this right?

Advice needed thanks
The easiest way is to point out that all sex outside of marriage is wrong and two people of the same gender can not legitimately marry.
Old Aug 23, '11, 7:18 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Roberts View Post
The easiest way is to point out that all sex outside of marriage is wrong and two people of the same gender can not legitimately marry.
You're right of course, but the problem with this is that some states (mine included) have now decided that two people of the same gender can legitimately legally marry. The Church does not recognize or condone this of course, but since the state does, it can be confusing to kids.

My 5 year old said to me yesterday that someone (at preschool) told her that two girls can get married. I corrected her and said that God made marriage for one man and one woman and left it at that for now. Obviously we'll have to discuss this in more depth someday, and it'll probably be a lot earlier than I want it to be.

I think if we immerse our children in our faith on a daily basis, when it does come time to teach them about these things, they'll have a good background in the faith and hopefully that will help them -- both with reasoning through things and because of the graces God will give us and the kids to help with these difficult topics!
Old Aug 23, '11, 7:23 am

TALK ABOUT IT!

It's in the newspaper, on TV, on the radio... it's OKAY to talk about it!
Pull out your handy-dandy Catechism (you DO you have one on the shelf, right???), and open it up! Discuss these things - how these sins are a REALITY in this world. DISCUSS how they harm the image of holy family life. DISCUSS how this is against the Natural Order of God's creation.
Just TALK about it! Don't be afraid of the subject.

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Aug 23, '11, 7:35 am

Default Disease and early death...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccasmith198 View Post

Advice needed thanks
It's not just wrong in the Catholic Church, it's wrong everywhere. As for teaching your children, I would emphasize that the reason it is wrong is simply because God made us to be with opposite sex partners, not same sex.

If you're looking for something to bring the wrongness of homosexual behavior home to your kids in a way they can relate to, I think the ridiculous levels of disease and very early death are the most understandable, down to earth example, because everyone understands being sick and nobody wants to die.

Here's a helpful link on that subject
http://www.catholiceducation.org/art...ty/ho0075.html
Old Aug 23, '11, 8:09 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryJam View Post
Why worry about this when they have been raised all their lives to know what the church teaches and what their family has acted like as an example? It is very easy to worry about the sky falling too. But, until you have a reason to worry why not trust your ability as a parent and religious educator in your child's life unless you are worried you did not give a good example to them somehow?
You are right, Christ encourages us not to worry that is so true!

Without worrying though we need to be vigilant. Just because we raise our children all their lives to know what the church teaches and that we have been a good example; we still need to be watchful for outside influences. Unfortunately it is not enough always to simply raise your child in the faith...many people fall away. A parent need not worry needlessly however we need to be alert should our children hear new information or be influenced by others that we are ready with support and encouragement and that we are able to answer their questions.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life