Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 7, '05, 4:45 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question St. Peter at the gates of Heaven?

We've all seen the cartoons where people are waiting in line at the pearly gates and St. Peter is sitting there checking them in. If someone is not on the list, he pushes the button, the trap door opens, and down they go.

Anyway, what is the foundation for this tradition that St. Peter tends the Gate to Heaven? Is it found in any old Christian writings? Or is it maybe from a literary source? Is it just something from cartoons?
Old Jun 7, '05, 4:52 pm
Banned

Default Re: St. Peter at the gates of Heaven?

......you know, i don't know where that comes from... but i say if he is not there when you arrive..... then i would crash the gate doing 98 and let them truckers roll......10-4...

......as stated before in these forums, i will be content with sliding in behind someone through the large door with the big P on it... the rest is gravy....

Peace
Old Jun 7, '05, 5:05 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Okay, I think I know this one...I was told when I was little(raised Baptist) that it is because Jesus gave Peter the Keys to Heaven...lol.. So it must have been an long ago way of trying to explain that scripture....since they rejected the orginial explanation! ...Pam

P.S. I might have to google to see if I am right!
Old Jun 7, '05, 5:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassthePeace1
Okay, I think I know this one...I was told when I was little(raised Baptist) that it is because Jesus gave Peter the Keys to Heaven...lol.. So it must have been an long ago way of trying to explain that scripture....since they rejected the orginial explanation! ...Pam

P.S. I might have to google to see if I am right!
That's very interesting. I thought that it would definitely be a Catholic thing. The keys to the kingdom explanation does make sense.
Old Jun 7, '05, 5:23 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis315
We've all seen the cartoons where people are waiting in line at the pearly gates and St. Peter is sitting there checking them in. If someone is not on the list, he pushes the button, the trap door opens, and down they go.

Anyway, what is the foundation for this tradition that St. Peter tends the Gate to Heaven? Is it found in any old Christian writings? Or is it maybe from a literary source? Is it just something from cartoons?
thou art Peter and upon this Rock I will build my church, I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven . . . the verses that the Church bases Papal succession and authority upon.
Old Jun 7, '05, 5:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie
thou art Peter and upon this Rock I will build my church, I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven . . . the verses that the Church bases Papal succession and authority upon.
Yeah, that never even crossed my mind. I wonder where that image was first used though.
Old Jun 7, '05, 8:02 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Okay, Googled it..had to go thru a ton of jokes...lol..here is one thing I found one a Protestant website...

Saint Peter (died c. 67) was one of the Twelve Apostles of Jesus Christ in the New Testament. His original name was Simon (שמעון "Hearkening; listening", Standard Hebrew imʿon, Tiberian Hebrew imʿn), but he was given the nickname of Peter, which means rock in Greek (Petros). He is sometimes referred to using both names as Simon Peter, and Saint Paul called him Cephas or Kephas, which is the Aramaic equivalent of the nickname. This nickname is explained by the statement of Jesus Christ that either he, because of his expression of faith is "the rock on which I will build my church" (in this context "church" is taken as meaning the community of faith and not a building) (Matthew 16:17-19), a passage found in all of the synoptic gospels (Mark 8:29; Luke 9:20), but only Matthew adds that Peter will receive "the keys to the kingdom of Heaven". This addition explains why Saint Peter is often portrayed in popular tales and jokes as the guardian one meets at the gates or "Pearly gates " of heaven.

Okay, can't resist...one joke...

Perhaps you've heard the story about when Forrest Gump went to Heaven. He meets St. Peter at the Pearly Gates who says to him, "We've heard a lot about you Forrest. But since it is getting very crowded in this place everyone now has to pass an entrance test consisting of three questions that you must answer correctly in order to get in here."

"Oh, okay," said Forrest Gump. "What are the questions?"

St. Peter said, "First, what two days of the week begin with the letter "T"? Second, How many seconds are there in a year? Third: What is God's first name?" How do you think you could answer them?

The next day, St. Peter was surprised to see Forrest again so soon. He says, "So what are your answers, Forrest?"

"Well, the first one-which two days in the week begin with the letter "T"? Shucks, that one's easy. That'd be Today and Tomorrow."

St. Peter's eyes open wide and he exclaims, "Forrest, that's not what I was thinking but you do have a point so I'll grant you credit for it. Now how about the next question?"

Forrest said, "Now that one's harder. But I thunk and thunk and I guess the only answer can be twelve." Astounded, St. Peter says, "Twelve?!? Forrest, how in Heaven's name could you come up with that?"

Forrest says, "Shucks, there's gotta be twelve: January 2nd, February 2nd, March 2nd" St. Peter holds up his hand, "Okay Forrest. It's not what I had in mind but I'll give you credit. Now, what about the last question. What is God's first name?"

"Oh, that's easy," said Forrest. "God's first name is Andy!"

Exasperated, "What? Andy?!? Now, how did you figure that!"

"Aw, shucks, that's the easiest one of all!" said Forrest. "I remembered the song "ANDY WALKS WITH ME, ANDY TALKS WITH ME, ANDY TELLS ME I AM HIS OWN."

So St. Peter opened the Pearly Gates and said, "Run, Forrest, run!"

Pam
Old Jun 8, '05, 11:42 am
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Mijoy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie
and i thought it came from that song...

ate a peanut
ate a peanut,
ate a peaaaanut last
last night i ate a peanut,
ate a peanut last night....

snip

met saint peter
met saint peter
met saint peeeeter last night.....etc

probably showing my age.
Old Jun 9, '05, 11:54 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Actually I heard the last answer was "Howard". Why? "Our Father who art in heaven, HOWARD be thy name"

I'm saved (Eph 2:58), being saved (1Cor 1:8), and hope I'll be saved (1Cor 3:1215). I'm working out my salvation in fear (Phil 2:12), with hopeful confidence in Christ (Rom 5:2).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence