Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Bug Reports

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 26, '11, 7:50 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Posting Problem

Yesterday, I tried to respond to some posts as well as ask a question in your "Ask a Question" link on the upper right corner of the screen. In both instances, I got a message (too bad I wasn't able to screen shot them) saying that I had no priviledge to create posts. I used to respond to posts before and now am a little confused - is this a bug or is there something wrong with my account? I would appreciate a bit of help there.

Rachelle
Old Aug 26, '11, 10:56 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Anathama Sit
Default Re: Posting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelrule View Post
Yesterday, I tried to respond to some posts as well as ask a question in your "Ask a Question" link on the upper right corner of the screen. In both instances, I got a message (too bad I wasn't able to screen shot them) saying that I had no priviledge to create posts. I used to respond to posts before and now am a little confused - is this a bug or is there something wrong with my account? I would appreciate a bit of help there.

Rachelle
Greetings Rachelle,

I too get that message. It is a forum message that says three things, I forgot what they are. I shall be watching this thread to see if any other answers come up.

God bless.
Anathama Sit
Old Aug 27, '11, 7:53 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Yesterday, I tried to respond to some posts as well as ask a question in your "Ask a Question" link on the upper right corner of the screen. In both instances, I got a message (too bad I wasn't able to screen shot them) saying that I had no priviledge to create posts.
Rachelle, and Anathema Sit,

I am sorry you are encountering problems. I am not completely sure of what you experienced, but I wonder if the error message you received looked something like this:

Quote:
Username, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

"1. The page may have been pulled from the public forum due to a serious breach of forum rules.
"2. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
"3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."
This is a message familiar to longtime members of CAF. We get it when we try to respond to an open thread, but while composing our reply a moderator closes the thread. We haven't done anything wrong, and no harm will come from it, although the stern warning does seem distressing.

If you would be willing, could you check the status of the thread where you tried to post and got an error message instead? Is that thread now closed, with no reply possible?
Old Aug 27, '11, 1:27 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post

I am sorry you are encountering problems. I am not completely sure of what you experienced, but I wonder if the error message you received looked something like this:

This is a message familiar to longtime members of CAF. We get it when we try to respond to an open thread, but while composing our reply a moderator closes the thread. We haven't done anything wrong, and no harm will come from it, although the stern warning does seem distressing.

If you would be willing, could you check the status of the thread where you tried to post and got an error message instead? Is that thread now closed, with no reply possible?
Greetings Dale_M,

Yes that is exactly what I received when I clicked on the link Ask a Question in the upper left hand of the screen. I wonder why that link is provided when one cannot access it.

I did observe the stern warning and thought that I had done a major transgression. The Ask a Question is in that box that has a question and an answer. I clicked it today and received yet again that stern warning. It is a relief to know that I have not transgressed in a serious manner. It is a bit disconcerting to see that your second day of membership on the forums.

Thank you for your assistance. If you could try to click on that link and see what you receive as well.

God bless.
Anathama Sit
Old Aug 27, '11, 3:28 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathama Sit View Post
Yes that is exactly what I received when I clicked on the link Ask a Question in the upper left hand of the screen. I wonder why that link is provided when one cannot access it.

I did observe the stern warning and thought that I had done a major transgression. The Ask a Question is in that box that has a question and an answer. I clicked it today and received yet again that stern warning.
Hm... that is disturbing. Not because you have done anything wrong, but because either the rules have changed or the forum software isn't working properly.

I see you are still a Trial Member, and Rachelle is still a New Member. As such, you haven't been granted many of the privileges which will shortly come your way. However, I have no reason to think that Trial Members or New Members are barred from posting questions to the staff apologists via the Ask an Apologist forum.

I think we may need Forum Admin or the forum moderator to check into this matter.
Old Aug 27, '11, 4:03 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Hm... that is disturbing. Not because you have done anything wrong, but because either the rules have changed or the forum software isn't working properly.

I see you are still a Trial Member, and Rachelle is still a New Member. As such, you haven't been granted many of the privileges which will shortly come your way. However, I have no reason to think that Trial Members or New Members are barred from posting questions to the staff apologists via the Ask an Apologist forum.

I think we may need Forum Admin or the forum moderator to check into this matter.
Greetings Dale_M,

My appreciation to you for spending the time and checking out that link. I do wonder if that link does not work how one does go about asking a question to the Apologists? Does one have to go to the Ask an Apologist forum.

I had wondered in observing that you are a Forum Master if you could access it. I do not feel confident at all in contacting a Moderator much less the Forum Administrator as I feel that to do so is not warranted seeing that I have been on the forum as an active member for a few days.

Hopefully, one of the Moderators or with luck the Forum Administrator will somehow wander into this thread and could assist us further with this inquiry.

I also noticed that you have a great working knowledge of this forum and have been most helpful to me in finding answers to my questions. If I have any questions that are related to as how the forum operates, may I have permission to send you a private message via the forum site?

God bless you.
Anathama Sit

Last edited by Anathama Sit; Aug 27, '11 at 4:06 pm. Reason: Wanted to ask a question but forgot to ask it.
Old Aug 27, '11, 10:22 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
My appreciation to you for spending the time and checking out that link. I do wonder if that link does not work how one does go about asking a question to the Apologists?
Oh, you are most welcome! The link works for me, and I suspect it works for others as well. The apologists would notice a sudden drop in submitted questions if the link was ineffective for most persons, and they would then act to correct the problem.

Quote:
I do not feel confident at all in contacting a Moderator much less the Forum Administrator as I feel that to do so is not warranted seeing that I have been on the forum as an active member for a few days.
I understand that reluctance. However, I think the problem can be addressed easiest if the persons who are experiencing the trouble talk with the Forum Admin or others who will start the repair. That way the repair crew can look at the accounts of those who experiencing trouble, making it easier to analyze what is going wrong.

Quote:
Hopefully, one of the Moderators or with luck the Forum Administrator will somehow wander into this thread and could assist us further with this inquiry.
I hope so, too.

Quote:
I also noticed that you have a great working knowledge of this forum and have been most helpful to me in finding answers to my questions. If I have any questions that are related to as how the forum operates, may I have permission to send you a private message via the forum site?
Thank you for the compliment.

However, what little I know about the forums and their operation I have gained from reading messages here. If we talk about the difficulties you encounter, not via private message but via these forums, perhaps other members will also learn from our discussion. Plus, other persons more knowledgeable than myself could join in, too!
Old Aug 27, '11, 11:18 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Greetings Dale_M,

I did not know you could break someone's post up like that and respond to each point. I am going to experiment with your post, so I please ask you for your patience as I learn how to do this.

I have learned quite a bit of how the forum works because of these threads which have been most helpful.

Quote:
I understand that reluctance. However, I think the problem can be addressed easiest if the persons who are experiencing the trouble talk with the Forum Admin or others who will start the repair. That way the repair crew can look at the accounts of those who experiencing trouble, making it easier to analyze what is going wrong.
I guess I shall bite the bullet and send a private message to a Moderator? Do you have a suggestion as to whom to send my inquiry too? How do I find a Moderator?

Quote:
However, what little I know about the forums and their operation I have gained from reading messages here. If we talk about the difficulties you encounter, not via private message but via these forums, perhaps other members will also learn from our discussion. Plus, other persons more knowledgeable than myself could join in, too!
I shall bear this in mind. I probably will be posting quite a few threads in this forum. I am horrible at searches. I believe I shall attribute that to a lack of patience on my part.

Thank you for all your help.

God bless.
Anathama St
Old Aug 28, '11, 7:25 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Question Re: Posting Problem

Quote:

Yes Sir, that was it. But I am confused as the same message appeared when I tried to open a new thread, for I wanted to ask a question on the GIRM
Old Aug 28, '11, 7:43 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Yes Sir, that was it. But I am confused as the same message appeared when I tried to open a new thread, for I wanted to ask a question on the GIRM
Greetings Chelrule,

I tried the link again today and still have received the same message. I am kind of heartened to know that others are having problems with the link as well. Perhaps one of these days if I happen to find a Moderator I can refer them to this thread and see if we cannot get an answer to this most puzzling circumstance.

God bless.
Anathama Sit
Old Aug 28, '11, 10:24 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Greetings Dale_M,

I mustered up enough courage to finally send a Personal Message to a Moderator. Hopefully we can get this sorted. Thank you for your suggestion of notifying a Moderator. It just seems wierd to be contacting a Moderator when I have only been a member less than a week. I feel like I am intruding.

God bless.
Anathama Sit
Old Aug 28, '11, 10:38 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Greetings to those who have posted in this thread,

I have just received a response back from a Moderator. The Moderator responded that they had forwarded my Personal Message to the right person and that it would not be until Monday until something could be done about this. In my message to the Moderator I included a link to this thread.

Hopefully things will be sorted by Monday.

God bless.
Anathama Sit
Old Aug 28, '11, 11:13 pm
Forum Elder

Anathema Sit,

Thank you, for being willing to go the extra mile. I do not doubt that others will benefit from your effort. I hope you enjoy your travels, and return to us fully refreshed.

Dale
Old Aug 29, '11, 2:22 am
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Anathema Sit,

Thank you, for being willing to go the extra mile. I do not doubt that others will benefit from your effort. I hope you enjoy your travels, and return to us fully refreshed.

Dale
Greetings Dale_M,

Thank you for the warm wishes. It was due to your well given advice that I did contact a Moderator. I can hardly wait until next Tuesday or Wednesday depending on how things finally work out. I am excited to go and see the United States of Amercia again.

You are the first person to catch that the username is misspelled, believe it or not, I did intend for that to happen.

God bless.
Anathama Sit
Old Aug 29, '11, 9:24 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Greetings to All who have posted in this thread,

I have just logged in early this morning and have found the following response back from the Moderator that I had sent the Private Message to concerning this problem that several posters have had.

I include their response in quotes.

Quote:
I received a response to your question. It seems that you may have tried to open a window in Ask An Apologist. That window is open only to the administration. Members can post a PM to an apologist, but cannot create threads.
God bless.
Anathama Sit

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Bug Reports