Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 25, '11, 8:37 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Praying Holy Rosary while walking, driving, etc.. Is it okay??

Hi. Sorry if this is wrong forum, but...

Two questions.

First...

I pray the rosary during walks, or while driving, or while riding the bus into town every day, or walking around downtown. It is acceptable to pray the rosary while engaging in these activities?

I find that it is nice to include everyone on the bus in my prayers, or while driving through the city then I like to pray for the city and all the souls, or an individual whom I pass by who looks as though they're suffering then I'll pray for them to the blessed Virgin.

I pray the rosary in the privacy of my home too, but it is nice to be out in the world and actively praying for the people all around me while I'm going about my day.

Is this acceptable, or are we to only pray the rosary when we are idle and without any distractions whatsoever?

Second question...

Is it acceptable to stop praying the rosary before I've completed it fully, and then pick up where I left off at a later time? For example, if I'm riding the bus and praying the rosary and then I have to stop because I've reached my bus stop and run to class then can I pick up where I left off after class?

Thank you very much for your knowledgeable answers.

I am joining the Catholic Church and beginning RCIA in just a few days. I really try to refrain from doing things in the Catholic faith that I am not yet knowledgeable of for fear of offending the church and our Lord.

Thanks again, and peace.

Nigel
Old Aug 25, '11, 8:42 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Praying Holy Rosary while walking, driving, etc.. Is it okay??

Yes to both questions.

I pray the rosary all the time when I drive. I use a rosary CD to keep me focused.

It is ok to pray part of the rosary and then pick it back up later. Just make sure you finish it by the end of the day. That’s always been my rule of thumb. I forget where I read it but a saint used to pray the rosary and if he had to stop in the middle he would always make sure that he finished before he went to bed if he didn’t get the chance during the day.

The rosary is like the psalter in that it can be prayed throughout the day.

WELCOME HOME!
Old Aug 25, '11, 8:47 pm

It's fine to do so. I generally don't while driving though because it makes me sleepy and I've learned the hard way that's to be avoided.
Old Aug 25, '11, 9:07 pm

Thanks, it is good to know this. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo in Deum View Post

WELCOME HOME!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old Aug 25, '11, 9:26 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Cradle Roman Catholic

Welcome home indeed. Deo gratias (Thanks be to God)

I believe it was St. Louis De Montfort who said every Ave Maria prayed is a rose placed at the feet of Our Lady

Feel free to start learning any Catholic prayers and devotions. You only have to wait on the Sacraments for now.

This may interest you

THE THREE HAIL MARYS DEVOTION

One of the greatest means of salvation and one of the surest signs of predestination, is unquestionably, the devotion to the Most Blessed Virgin. All the holy doctors of the Church are unanimous in saying with St. Alphonsus of Liguori: "A devout servant of Mary shall never perish." The chief thing is to persevere faithfully till death in this devotion.

Numerous examples show how agreeable the three Hail Marys Devotion is to the Divine Mother and what special graces it draws, during life and at the hour of death, on those who never omit it for a single day.

This practice was revealed to St. Melchtilde (13th century) while she was beseeching Our Blessed Mother to assist her in her hour of death. Our Lady appeared to her and said: "I will, certainly. But I also want you to say three special Hail Marys to me every day.

"The first will be in honor of God the Father, Whose omnipotence raised my soul so high above every other creature that after God I have the greatest power in heaven and on earth. In the hour of your death I will use that power of God the Father to keep any hostile power far from you.

"The second Hail Mary will be said in honor of the Son of God Who communicated His inscrutable wisdom to me. In the hour of your death I will fill your soul with the light of that wisdom so that all the darkness of ignorance and error will be dispelled.

"The third Hail Mary will be in honor of God the Holy Ghost Who filled my soul with the sweetness of His love and tenderness and mercy. In your last hour I will then change the bitterness of death into divine sweetness and delight."

Our Blessed Mother also revealed to St. Gertrude the Great: "To any soul who faithfully prays the Three Hail Marys, I will appear at the hour of death in a splendor so extraordinary that it will fill the soul with heavenly consolation."

St. Leonard of Port Maurice, the celebrated missionary, had the Three Hail Marys recited morning and evening in honor of Mary Immaculate, to obtain the grace of avoiding all mortal sins during the day or night; moreover he promised in a special manner eternal salvation to all those who proved constantly faithful to this practice. He gave this devotion of Three Hail Marys as a penance in the confessional, especially for those who were struggling with sins of impurity.

Practice: Recite morning and evening, three Hail Marys in honor of the three great privileges bestowed upon Our Blessed Mother by the most Blessed Trinity with this invocation at the end: for the morning: "O my Mother preserve me from mortal sin during this day." For the evening: "O my Mother preserve me from mortal sin during this night."

(Pope St. Pius X gave his Apostolic Blessing to this practice and the devotion was raised to an Archconfraternity by Pope Benedict XV.)

The Hail Mary: Hail Mary, full of grace; the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
Old Aug 25, '11, 9:50 pm

Thank you. ^ ^ That is beautiful. I am starting right now.

I've another question,, but don't want to start another thread..

Is it okay to have a little devotional area in my apartment for prayer and devotion? A small table with a candle and a crucifix and a tray for burning frankincense when I pray? It is also a place where I place my rosary, and also my Catholic prayer book and bible when I am not reading them. The one place in my apartment where nothing else is placed accept these 'objects of faith', if you will.

I know that I am not worthy to have any sort of "holy" place in my apartment, but is it acceptable to have this table for prayer and worship and devotion? I am confused about whether or not this is truly acceptable. I want to pray to Him and worship Him in my home, but I shudder to think that I am offending Him by doing it in this manner. I am ignorant about this, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Aug 25, '11, 10:19 pm
Prayer Warrior

id say its very ok

The Rosary
El Rosario

Old Aug 25, '11, 10:29 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel7 View Post

Is it okay to have a little devotional area in my apartment for prayer and devotion? A small table with a candle and a crucifix and a tray for burning frankincense when I pray? It is also a place where I place my rosary, and also my Catholic prayer book and bible when I am not reading them. The one place in my apartment where nothing else is placed accept these 'objects of faith', if you will.

I know that I am not worthy to have any sort of "holy" place in my apartment, but is it acceptable to have this table for prayer and worship and devotion? I am confused about whether or not this is truly acceptable. I want to pray to Him and worship Him in my home, but I shudder to think that I am offending Him by doing it in this manner. I am ignorant about this, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
As mentioned by Chris, yes it's ok.

Home Altars are common. here are some photos ...
http://www.oblatespring.com/oblatesp...rines01.htm#po
Old Aug 25, '11, 10:39 pm

Default Prayer and worship and devotion

^ ^ Oh wow, that is awesome. Thank you so much for that information.
Old Aug 26, '11, 9:13 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Trent View Post
As mentioned by Chris, yes it's ok.

Home Altars are common. here are some photos ...
http://www.oblatespring.com/oblatesp...rines01.htm#po
I love home Altars althoughtI think I might have taken this love too far since my brother told me my room looks like a small chapel lol.
Old Aug 26, '11, 10:31 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo in Deum View Post
I love home Altars althoughtI think I might have taken this love too far since my brother told me my room looks like a small chapel lol.
I've seen some fairly elaborate ones too.
Old Aug 26, '11, 11:40 am

I would hope it is okay, since I often actually find it easier to concentrate on the mysteries while walking around outside or pacing.

If I'm not very much mistaken, I think I remember reading somewhere that my patron saint, Padre Pio, was often seen praying the Rosary while traveling or walking around the monastery. Doesn't sound like too much of a stretch.
Old Aug 26, '11, 12:07 pm
Banned

Quote:
Hi. Sorry if this is wrong forum, but...

Two questions.

First...

I pray the rosary during walks, or while driving, or while riding the bus into town every day, or walking around downtown. It is acceptable to pray the rosary while engaging in these activities?

I find that it is nice to include everyone on the bus in my prayers, or while driving through the city then I like to pray for the city and all the souls, or an individual whom I pass by who looks as though they're suffering then I'll pray for them to the blessed Virgin.

I pray the rosary in the privacy of my home too, but it is nice to be out in the world and actively praying for the people all around me while I'm going about my day.

Is this acceptable, or are we to only pray the rosary when we are idle and without any distractions whatsoever?

Second question...

Is it acceptable to stop praying the rosary before I've completed it fully, and then pick up where I left off at a later time? For example, if I'm riding the bus and praying the rosary and then I have to stop because I've reached my bus stop and run to class then can I pick up where I left off after class?

Thank you very much for your knowledgeable answers.

I am joining the Catholic Church and beginning RCIA in just a few days. I really try to refrain from doing things in the Catholic faith that I am not yet knowledgeable of for fear of offending the church and our Lord.

Thanks again, and peace.

Nigel
Yes, of course its better to pray the Rosary when not distracted but theres no reason not to pray it like this if you wish.
Old Aug 26, '11, 3:32 pm

Religion: Catholic (Latin Church)

Saint Louis says it's fine to even pray your rosary whilst working the farm. It's best to do so when you can give it your full attention but there's nothing wrong with praying it whilst doing other activities.

Et introíbo ad altáre Dei:
ad Deum qui lætíficat juventútem meam.
Old Aug 28, '11, 5:39 am

Quote:

Thank you.
I have a "prayer corner" in my home, sort of sectioned off by a tall bookcase that holds the Bible, art, Rosaries, medals and statuary that I have collected over time. It is in the corner of a narrow room and I have commissioned a talented lady I know to make a bead curtain to divide that whole end of the room from the rest. Nothing wrong with doing that. It gives you a place of refuge from the world where you can see nothing else but the images of the Church. The use of incense is also a good thing to ward off any other odors that may distract. That said, I also tend to pray the Rosary at least once during my night shift at work. I am a security guard and need to remain somewhat vigilant, but I can still stand and watch out the window of my booth during a particularly slow time. If something comes up that demands my attention, I just lay the beads down in such a way that I can recall which one I was on.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism