Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 28, '11, 12:17 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default eating out on Sunday

I know that we are to observe the Sabbath by not working or shopping on Sunday. However, does this include eating out? I think it does.
Old Aug 28, '11, 12:21 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!
Default Re: eating out on Sunday

First to note... is not per se "the Sabbath" it is the "Lords Day".

As to the question of eating out:

Yes...one may eat out!

Such is included as an example in the Catechism.

Read this section:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P7O.HTM

And also read this document from Pope Benedict XVI

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/be...christian_life

Let us live according to the Lords Day! Let us Rejoice for he is Risen and he gives us true life!

Enjoy your dinner
Old Aug 28, '11, 2:08 pm
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookcat View Post
First to note... is not per se "the Sabbath" it is the "Lords Day".

As to the question of eating out:

Yes...one may eat out!

Such is included as an example in the Catechism.

Read this section:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P7O.HTM

And also read this document from Pope Benedict XVI

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/be...christian_life

Let us live according to the Lords Day! Let us Rejoice for he is Risen and he gives us true life!

Enjoy your dinner
Hello,

Granted, I did not read every single thing, but this stood out to me.

"The charity of truth seeks holy leisure - the necessity of charity accepts just work."124

I don't see yet where it is alright to eat out, as it forces others to work on the Lord's Day, when it is not exactly necessary. The quote above says "just work." For me, that seems to mean those who have to work for the good of society: doctors, police, pharmicists, etc.

Having worked retail for several years, I feel convicted to avoid doing anything that causes another to work on the Lord's Day if I can avoid it. However, I do at times when traveling or having friends from out of town that I would not get to see if I avoided going out to eat on Sunday.

I guess moderation in all things and listening to the guidance of the Holy Spirit is key?
Old Aug 28, '11, 2:14 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by laroquea View Post
I don't see yet where it is alright to eat out, as it forces others to work on the Lord's Day, when it is not exactly necessary. The quote above says "just work." For me, that seems to mean those who have to work for the good of society: doctors, police, pharmicists, etc.
"Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure."

It is not just about jobs that are "social necessities" ...

Eating out can be a good form of leisure...even though some will need to thus work.

Another line it is good to note is: "With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities."..so it is not just that one can do anything one wants ....or that is called "leisure" in our society...but certainly restaurants are one good way one can engage in leisure on the Lords Day.

The whole section of course is important for readers..and also that document from Pope Benedict XVI and the work from Bl. Pope John Paul II.
Old Aug 28, '11, 2:29 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Here is my take--not an official Church stance, but in accord with it AFAIK.

There is no sin in eating out on Sunday, especially if it helps you to spend time with your family, or if you have been invited out by friends or family.

OTOH, the fewer people who eat out on Sundays, the fewer people would be required to work on Sunday. So, all other things being equal, I avoid it if I can.

Sometimes, it is a good idea to avoid something sometimes, even if it isn't sinful. If you have no inner prompting to avoid eating out on Sunday, then probably you don't need to avoid it. However, it sounds like the OP does have an inner prompting to avoid eating out on Sunday, and it might be good to listen to it. As long as she doesn't tell people it is sinful to eat out, it can be a meritorious act on her part to avoid it.

just MHO.

--Jen
Old Aug 28, '11, 2:48 pm

Religion: catholic

What about all the money that an employee would lose if he or she was not allowed to work on a Sunday? Especially in a time like now, do we really want to contribute to even less jobs? I have no problem eating out or any other sort of activity which requires work on a Sunday.

What I do have a problem with is if an employer will not give an employee time off to go to church, which sadly can be an issue. I also think that everyone should have at least one day off from work, it does not have to be Sunday, but it should be one day. However, should one choose to work on a Sunday, they still need to meet their obligation to attend church.

Furthermore, when possible, that one day off should be a Sunday.
Old Aug 28, '11, 4:11 pm

It is a sin to eat out on Sunday.
Because it is causing others to work, when they should have the day off.
All of Christianity is based on love.

We are not loving others, if by our choice we cause others to work on Sunday.

And no retail business would stay open on Sunday in this country, if Christians did not shop at these places on Sunday.

Thus we are NOT loving our neighbor if we eat out on Sunday.

The Catechism only said that those who happen to be employed in those professions where they must work on Sunday may be excused, because of their obligation to work by their employers It did not imply that we can cause these people to work on Sunday because of our selfishness
Old Aug 28, '11, 6:08 pm

Religion: transferring to the Melkite Church
Send a message via MSN to Ghosty Send a message via Yahoo to Ghosty

Not everyone is Christian, let alone Catholic. Are we going to deny Jews and Muslims a full weeks work because we won't let them work on Sundays?

Peace and God bless!
Old Aug 28, '11, 6:21 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdurel View Post

And no retail business would stay open on Sunday in this country, if Christians did not shop at these places on Sunday.

The Catechism only said that those who happen to be employed in those professions where they must work on Sunday may be excused, because of their obligation to work by their employers It did not imply that we can cause these people to work on Sunday because of our selfishness
It is NOT a sin to eat out on a Sunday.
Show where in the Catechism that it says it is a sin to eat out on a Sunday. You are making up your own personal interpretation.
Old Aug 28, '11, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
Not everyone is Christian, let alone Catholic. Are we going to deny Jews and Muslims a full weeks work because we won't let them work on Sundays?

Peace and God bless!
Who said anything about not letting Jews and Muslims a full weeks work?

The question was whether eating out on Sunday was a sin. The majority of people in this country are Christians, By eating out on Sunday or even shopping on Sunday at retail establishments, it causes the employers of these Christians to require them to work, because the employers are usually not practicing Christians, or not even Christians at all. And usually the employers don't work on Sunday, even if they are not Christian. They usually want their Saturday and Sunday off. They don't care if their employees want to have off on Sunday. They want money. They are selfish, and self-centered and don't love their employees enough to let them practice their religion they way they should.

By shopping on Sunday Christians are lowering themselves to the status of these owners or employers of these establishments. Face the truth. People don't eat out on Sunday out of Christian love for the workers of these restaurants, but out of self-centeredness. Jesus said love your neighbor as yourself. If you were employed at one of these retail establishments, wouldn't you want to be off to go to Church and be with your family? Of course.

Any time Christians reject God's commandments of love, they participate in evil.

The basis of Christianity is love. God became man and went through extraordinary suffering in order to free us from our self-centeredness so that we can love. In a way we are crucifying Christ all over again by our rejection of His teachings of love.
Old Aug 28, '11, 6:38 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:

The Catechism expressly notes :

"Traditional activities (... restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays..."

It is noted expressly under "traditional activities" which implies rather acceptance. It would not be called such if it were sinful for Christians to go to a restaurant on a Sunday.

It is not sinful to go to a restaurant on a Sunday!

Nor is it sinful to ride the bus...to get there.

It is not selfishness to go out to for a nice meal on the Day of the Lord! It is rather quite fitting.

Last edited by Bookcat; Aug 28, '11 at 6:49 pm.
Old Aug 28, '11, 6:44 pm

Quote:

You are free to refrain from eating out on Sunday if you wish. You are not free to declare that to be a sin when it clearly is not. I would think that needlessly and wrongly burdening the consciences of others, however, is in fact a sin.
Old Aug 28, '11, 7:51 pm

Religion: Almost Catholic

I have found myself wondering the same thing - is it ok to eat out on Sunday? Is it ok to slave away in your own kitchen on Sunday?

I only thought these things today because I set out to make a special Sunday dinner for my husband - and of all things, I chose to make Lasagna. I've never made this before so between the cooking and cleaning up - it ended up being quite an exhausting experience.

As for the comment about Jews and Muslims getting to work a full work week - the Jewish people have their Sabbath from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday - so there is no hardship for them to work on Sunday. I can't speak for the Muslims because I don't know much about their observances. Many Jewish people are willing to work on Christmas and other Christian holidays.

Just my 2 cents
Old Aug 28, '11, 9:01 pm

My vague recollection about traditionally Catholic countries in Europe (France, Italy) is that a lot of restaurants were closed on Sunday morning but would be open for dinner.

I think it is common in many places, e.g. much of Europe, not to mention places in the US like Manhattan where living spaces are tiny, people don't necessarily have full kitchens where you can cook much of anything beyond ramen noodles and microwave popcorn. A lot of people, by necessity, eat restaurant or prepared meals on a daily basis.
Old Aug 29, '11, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpeian Rock View Post
You are free to refrain from eating out on Sunday if you wish. You are not free to declare that to be a sin when it clearly is not. I would think that needlessly and wrongly burdening the consciences of others, however, is in fact a sin.
The cateechism was referring to those who were forced to work on Sunday on how they could keep holy the Lord's day. It was not excusing this type of work, or trying to justify other peoples use of the employees who are forced to work on these days.

Sin is failure in genuine love God or neighbor
due to a perverse attachment to certain goods.

That is the definition of the Catholic Church in the Catechism.
It makes perfect sense, since all the commandments are in the two greatest commandments, love God, with our whole mind, heart and soul and love our neighbor as ourselves.
The foundation of Christianity is love. God is love.

The fact is that no owner of a restaurant would keep it open on Sundays if people did not go to it on Sundays.
The fact is that the Christian employees of the restaurants do not want to work on Sundays. They want to worship and be with the rest of their families on Sundays. I have worked at many a retail store on Sundays, and even Christmas and NO ONE wanted to work on Sundays. Even the Jewish owner did not work on Sundays. But, he made his employees work on Sundays, because he wanted the money.

If YOU were employed by at a restaurant would you rather be off on Sunday and be home with your family or relatives or would you rather be off on another day of the week?

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Simple command. Failure in genuine love is sin.
When we fail to love we become self-centered. The more fail to love, the more self centered and withdrawn we become. Soon we turn away from God, because He demands love. By turning away from God we lose His grace. Then we begin to lose sense of right and wrong, because evil is failure to love. We become even more self centered. We become slaves of sin, because we already have made immediate pleasure and excitement the source of our happiness. Then we wonder why our relations with others are not good and why we can't get along with others and why we are not happy.

Happiness comes from loving God, who then gives us the grace to love others. The more we reject this love, the more unhappy we become.

Notice that you are already unhappy that it might be wrong to eat out on Sunday.
Change your attitude to love God first, and neighbor second, then God's grace would make you happy NOT to eat out on Sunday because you would be giving some relief to those who are forced to work on Sunday.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology