Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 28, '11, 3:19 pm
Trial Membership

Thumbs up Tree of life

What does the tree of life mean?? And what does it represent
Old Aug 28, '11, 3:23 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tree of life

The Tree of Life is Christ on the Cross and represents Christ on the Cross

God Bless!
m
Old Aug 28, '11, 4:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron smith View Post
There were two named trees in the Garden of Eden: The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and the Tree of Life. God only forbade eating from the former. All are invited to eat from the Tree of Life.
Old Aug 31, '11, 11:15 am

"All are invited to eat from the Tree of Life"

Well, not quite. Adam & Eve were expelled from the Garden so as to protect the Tree of Life from them and just as much vice versa (them from the Tree of Life). They disobeyed a divine commandment and were thus rendered unworthy to partake of the Tree of Life: similarly those who disobey God may not receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord in the Holy Sacrament of the Altar. The Tree of Life brings life to those properly disposed; otherwise one eats and drinks condemnation upon himself.
Old Sep 1, '11, 7:22 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose1 View Post
"All are invited to eat from the Tree of Life"

Well, not quite. Adam & Eve were expelled from the Garden so as to protect the Tree of Life from them and just as much vice versa (them from the Tree of Life). They disobeyed a divine commandment and were thus rendered unworthy to partake of the Tree of Life: similarly those who disobey God may not receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord in the Holy Sacrament of the Altar. The Tree of Life brings life to those properly disposed; otherwise one eats and drinks condemnation upon himself.

Rose,

Our friend is correct. Adam and Eve were expelled and kept from the Tree of Life because they first chose the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Their first choice is what barred them from making a second choice. Having been awakened to the knowledge of good and evil, their secondary choice would have been a tainted choice as opposed to a pure first choice.
Old Sep 1, '11, 7:56 am

Jesus Christ The Apple Tree

From Divine Hymns or Spiritual Songs,
compiled by Joshua Smith, New Hampshire, 1784

Tune by Elizabeth Poston, 1905-1987

1. The tree of life my soul hath seen,
Laden with fruit and always green:
The trees of nature fruitless be
Compared with Christ the apple tree.

2. His beauty doth all things excel:
By faith I know, but ne'er can tell
The glory which I now can see
In Jesus Christ the apple tree.

3. For happiness I long have sought,
And pleasure dearly I have bought:
I missed of all; but now I see
'Tis found in Christ the apple tree.

4. I'm weary with my former toil,
Here I will sit and rest awhile:
Under the shadow I will be,
Of Jesus Christ the apple tree.

5. This fruit doth make my soul to thrive,
It keeps my dying faith alive;
Which makes my soul in haste to be
With Jesus Christ the apple tree.
Old Sep 2, '11, 11:16 pm
Trial Membership

You can believe that your deity magicked everything into existence if you want. But, until you present absolute and undeniable scientific evidence to support your claim, the rest of us are going to stick with reality and accept evolution because it does after all have a mountain range of evidence to support it.Typing test certificate
Old Sep 4, '11, 12:54 am

One of the first things any scientist has to know, is how to ask questions ; pertinent and precise questions.

However, the previous post has provided us with a good model of the straw man argument instead ... not necessarily intentional, but a fallacy nonetheless. So no one should be surprised that it has contributed absolutely nothing towards answering the OP's question because it is based on a false premise.

Our Catholic Faith, our religion, answers the question, " Why ?"

Evolution attempts to answer the question "How ?"

Both theologians and scientists need to know how to ask and recognize pertinent and precise questions.

Here is Father John Hardon, S.J. 's definition of the Tree of Life from his Modern Catholic Dictionary :

TREE OF LIFE. A tree that stood next to the Tree of Knowledge in the middle of the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2:9). It conferred on anyone eating its fruit the gift of immortality (Genesis 3:22).

We can compare that with his definition of the Book of Life:

BOOK OF LIFE. Figurative expression in the Bible (Revelation 21) for predestination. It signifies God's foreknowledge of the elect. God in virtue of his omniscience must infallibly and eternally know the elect and the lost, but this does not imply that the fate of either is sealed by God without a prevision of each person's merit. The Book of Life refers to those who will enjoy eternal happiness .

A little more intricate take by St. Thomas Aquinas on the Tree of Life in his Summa (you have to scroll down to Article 4. Whether in the state of innocence man would have acquired immortality by the tree of life? ).

I also like Credo's reply in post # 2.

" ... you should know that there is present with you the angel whom God has appointed for each man…This angel, who is sleepless and cannot be deceived, is always present with you; he sees all things and is not hindered by darkness. You should know, too, that with him is God"…-St. Anthony the Great
Old Sep 4, '11, 1:31 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron smith View Post
The Tree of Life is a symbol in several cultures. In Judaism and Christianity, it represents the tree of immortality in the Garden of Eden, which complements the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. (Certain Jewish scholars state, however, that there was really only one tree in the Garden of Eden, which represented both immortality and knowledge.) It also describes the Torah in the Book of Proverbs: "...a tree of life for those who cling to her..." In the mystical Kabbalah, it is the ten interrelated features of G-d. Also, it is linked to the branches of the Menorah.
Old Sep 11, '11, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
The Tree of Life is a symbol in several cultures. In Judaism and Christianity, it represents the tree of immortality in the Garden of Eden, which complements the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. (Certain Jewish scholars state, however, that there was really only one tree in the Garden of Eden, which represented both immortality and knowledge.) It also describes the Torah in the Book of Proverbs: "...a tree of life for those who cling to her..." In the mystical Kabbalah, it is the ten interrelated features of G-d. Also, it is linked to the branches of the Menorah.
Hi meltzerboy, I was wondering about the mystical Kabbalah. Can you explain for me what this is or where I could learn about it?

Thank you for your time.
Old Sep 11, '11, 11:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedImprovement View Post
One of the first things any scientist has to know, is how to ask questions ; pertinent and precise questions.

However, the previous post has provided us with a good model of the straw man argument instead ... not necessarily intentional, but a fallacy nonetheless. So no one should be surprised that it has contributed absolutely nothing towards answering the OP's question because it is based on a false premise.

Our Catholic Faith, our religion, answers the question, " Why ?"

Evolution attempts to answer the question "How ?"

Both theologians and scientists need to know how to ask and recognize pertinent and precise questions.

Here is Father John Hardon, S.J. 's definition of the Tree of Life from his Modern Catholic Dictionary :

TREE OF LIFE. A tree that stood next to the Tree of Knowledge in the middle of the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2:9). It conferred on anyone eating its fruit the gift of immortality (Genesis 3:22).

We can compare that with his definition of the Book of Life:

BOOK OF LIFE. Figurative expression in the Bible (Revelation 21) for predestination. It signifies God's foreknowledge of the elect. God in virtue of his omniscience must infallibly and eternally know the elect and the lost, but this does not imply that the fate of either is sealed by God without a prevision of each person's merit. The Book of Life refers to those who will enjoy eternal happiness .

A little more intricate take by St. Thomas Aquinas on the Tree of Life in his Summa (you have to scroll down to Article 4. Whether in the state of innocence man would have acquired immortality by the tree of life? ).

I also like Credo's reply in post # 2.

Today, the priest giving our homily told us that in his prayer life, he approaches the Cross as the Tree of Life because it helps him avoid the spiritual death that results when harboring too much anger (a capital sin). Today was the first time I heard of the the Cross of Christ being referred to as the Tree of Life, and had questions. Thanks for the explanations.

I also see the Cross, as the Tree of Life, as having great contextual significance for today as expressed in the priest's homily. He picked today, the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, to share his views on the Cross as the Tree of Life because so many people are going to relive their anger at those attacks today. By going to the Cross of Christ in prayer, we can be reminded of how much we have been forgiven by God through this great sacrifice, and that the death brought about by original sin no longer holds a fatal grip on our eternal destinies. In line with today's Gospel reading, we are reminded that as Christ's disciples we need to turn away from anger and be generous forgivers. It is in this context that I better understand the Cross as the Tree of Life.
Old Sep 12, '11, 5:14 pm
Forum Supporter

Proverbs 3:13-18 - New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 How blessed is the man who finds wisdom
And the man who gains understanding.
14 For her profit is better than the profit of silver
And her gain better than fine gold.
15 She is more precious than jewels;
And nothing you desire compares with her.
16 Long life is in her right hand;
In her left hand are riches and honor.
17 Her ways are pleasant ways
And all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her,
And happy are all who hold her fast.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism