Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Aug 28, '11, 3:19 pm
cameron smith cameron smith is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: August 28, 2011
Posts: 1
Thumbs up Tree of life

What does the tree of life mean?? And what does it represent
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Aug 28, '11, 3:23 pm
Credo in Deum's Avatar
Credo in Deum Credo in Deum is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: May 4, 2011
Posts: 1,135
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tree of life

The Tree of Life is Christ on the Cross and represents Christ on the Cross

God Bless!
m
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Aug 28, '11, 4:46 pm
Warloff Warloff is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: August 18, 2011
Posts: 97
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tree of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron smith View Post
What does the tree of life mean?? And what does it represent
There were two named trees in the Garden of Eden: The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and the Tree of Life. God only forbade eating from the former. All are invited to eat from the Tree of Life.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Aug 31, '11, 11:15 am
mrose1 mrose1 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 18, 2010
Posts: 25
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tree of life

"All are invited to eat from the Tree of Life"

Well, not quite. Adam & Eve were expelled from the Garden so as to protect the Tree of Life from them and just as much vice versa (them from the Tree of Life). They disobeyed a divine commandment and were thus rendered unworthy to partake of the Tree of Life: similarly those who disobey God may not receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord in the Holy Sacrament of the Altar. The Tree of Life brings life to those properly disposed; otherwise one eats and drinks condemnation upon himself.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Sep 1, '11, 7:22 am
perro sarnoso perro sarnoso is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: December 7, 2010
Posts: 481
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tree of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose1 View Post
"All are invited to eat from the Tree of Life"

Well, not quite. Adam & Eve were expelled from the Garden so as to protect the Tree of Life from them and just as much vice versa (them from the Tree of Life). They disobeyed a divine commandment and were thus rendered unworthy to partake of the Tree of Life: similarly those who disobey God may not receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord in the Holy Sacrament of the Altar. The Tree of Life brings life to those properly disposed; otherwise one eats and drinks condemnation upon himself.



Rose,

Our friend is correct. Adam and Eve were expelled and kept from the Tree of Life because they first chose the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Their first choice is what barred them from making a second choice. Having been awakened to the knowledge of good and evil, their secondary choice would have been a tainted choice as opposed to a pure first choice.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Sep 1, '11, 7:56 am
smswife smswife is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 11, 2006
Posts: 338
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tree of life

Jesus Christ The Apple Tree

From Divine Hymns or Spiritual Songs,
compiled by Joshua Smith, New Hampshire, 1784

Tune by Elizabeth Poston, 1905-1987

1. The tree of life my soul hath seen,
Laden with fruit and always green:
The trees of nature fruitless be
Compared with Christ the apple tree.

2. His beauty doth all things excel:
By faith I know, but ne'er can tell
The glory which I now can see
In Jesus Christ the apple tree.

3. For happiness I long have sought,
And pleasure dearly I have bought:
I missed of all; but now I see
'Tis found in Christ the apple tree.

4. I'm weary with my former toil,
Here I will sit and rest awhile:
Under the shadow I will be,
Of Jesus Christ the apple tree.

5. This fruit doth make my soul to thrive,
It keeps my dying faith alive;
Which makes my soul in haste to be
With Jesus Christ the apple tree.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Sep 2, '11, 11:16 pm
robertchella robertchella is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: September 2, 2011
Posts: 2
Default Re: Tree of life

You can believe that your deity magicked everything into existence if you want. But, until you present absolute and undeniable scientific evidence to support your claim, the rest of us are going to stick with reality and accept evolution because it does after all have a mountain range of evidence to support it.Typing test certificate
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Sep 4, '11, 12:54 am
NeedImprovement's Avatar
NeedImprovement NeedImprovement is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 27, 2008
Posts: 5,555
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tree of life

One of the first things any scientist has to know, is how to ask questions ; pertinent and precise questions.

However, the previous post has provided us with a good model of the straw man argument instead ... not necessarily intentional, but a fallacy nonetheless. So no one should be surprised that it has contributed absolutely nothing towards answering the OP's question because it is based on a false premise.


Our Catholic Faith, our religion, answers the question, " Why ?"

Evolution attempts to answer the question "How ?"


Both theologians and scientists need to know how to ask and recognize pertinent and precise questions.


**************************************** ****

Here is Father John Hardon, S.J. 's definition of the Tree of Life from his Modern Catholic Dictionary :

TREE OF LIFE. A tree that stood next to the Tree of Knowledge in the middle of the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2:9). It conferred on anyone eating its fruit the gift of immortality (Genesis 3:22).


We can compare that with his definition of the Book of Life:

BOOK OF LIFE. Figurative expression in the Bible (Revelation 21) for predestination. It signifies God's foreknowledge of the elect. God in virtue of his omniscience must infallibly and eternally know the elect and the lost, but this does not imply that the fate of either is sealed by God without a prevision of each person's merit. The Book of Life refers to those who will enjoy eternal happiness .


A little more intricate take by St. Thomas Aquinas on the Tree of Life in his Summa (you have to scroll down to Article 4. Whether in the state of innocence man would have acquired immortality by the tree of life? ).

I also like Credo's reply in post # 2.

__________________
" ... you should know that there is present with you the angel whom God has appointed for each man…This angel, who is sleepless and cannot be deceived, is always present with you; he sees all things and is not hindered by darkness. You should know, too, that with him is God"…-St. Anthony the Great
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Sep 4, '11, 1:31 am
meltzerboy meltzerboy is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: January 24, 2011
Posts: 9,605
Religion: Jewish
Default Re: Tree of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron smith View Post
What does the tree of life mean?? And what does it represent
The Tree of Life is a symbol in several cultures. In Judaism and Christianity, it represents the tree of immortality in the Garden of Eden, which complements the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. (Certain Jewish scholars state, however, that there was really only one tree in the Garden of Eden, which represented both immortality and knowledge.) It also describes the Torah in the Book of Proverbs: "...a tree of life for those who cling to her..." In the mystical Kabbalah, it is the ten interrelated features of G-d. Also, it is linked to the branches of the Menorah.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Sep 11, '11, 6:49 am
simple soul's Avatar
simple soul simple soul is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 27, 2009
Posts: 1,704
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tree of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
The Tree of Life is a symbol in several cultures. In Judaism and Christianity, it represents the tree of immortality in the Garden of Eden, which complements the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. (Certain Jewish scholars state, however, that there was really only one tree in the Garden of Eden, which represented both immortality and knowledge.) It also describes the Torah in the Book of Proverbs: "...a tree of life for those who cling to her..." In the mystical Kabbalah, it is the ten interrelated features of G-d. Also, it is linked to the branches of the Menorah.
Hi meltzerboy, I was wondering about the mystical Kabbalah. Can you explain for me what this is or where I could learn about it?

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Sep 11, '11, 11:43 am
ERLIS ERLIS is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: July 13, 2011
Posts: 6
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tree of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedImprovement View Post
One of the first things any scientist has to know, is how to ask questions ; pertinent and precise questions.

However, the previous post has provided us with a good model of the straw man argument instead ... not necessarily intentional, but a fallacy nonetheless. So no one should be surprised that it has contributed absolutely nothing towards answering the OP's question because it is based on a false premise.


Our Catholic Faith, our religion, answers the question, " Why ?"

Evolution attempts to answer the question "How ?"


Both theologians and scientists need to know how to ask and recognize pertinent and precise questions.


**************************************** ****

Here is Father John Hardon, S.J. 's definition of the Tree of Life from his Modern Catholic Dictionary :

TREE OF LIFE. A tree that stood next to the Tree of Knowledge in the middle of the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2:9). It conferred on anyone eating its fruit the gift of immortality (Genesis 3:22).


We can compare that with his definition of the Book of Life:

BOOK OF LIFE. Figurative expression in the Bible (Revelation 21) for predestination. It signifies God's foreknowledge of the elect. God in virtue of his omniscience must infallibly and eternally know the elect and the lost, but this does not imply that the fate of either is sealed by God without a prevision of each person's merit. The Book of Life refers to those who will enjoy eternal happiness .


A little more intricate take by St. Thomas Aquinas on the Tree of Life in his Summa (you have to scroll down to Article 4. Whether in the state of innocence man would have acquired immortality by the tree of life? ).

I also like Credo's reply in post # 2.

Today, the priest giving our homily told us that in his prayer life, he approaches the Cross as the Tree of Life because it helps him avoid the spiritual death that results when harboring too much anger (a capital sin). Today was the first time I heard of the the Cross of Christ being referred to as the Tree of Life, and had questions. Thanks for the explanations.

I also see the Cross, as the Tree of Life, as having great contextual significance for today as expressed in the priest's homily. He picked today, the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, to share his views on the Cross as the Tree of Life because so many people are going to relive their anger at those attacks today. By going to the Cross of Christ in prayer, we can be reminded of how much we have been forgiven by God through this great sacrifice, and that the death brought about by original sin no longer holds a fatal grip on our eternal destinies. In line with today's Gospel reading, we are reminded that as Christ's disciples we need to turn away from anger and be generous forgivers. It is in this context that I better understand the Cross as the Tree of Life.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Sep 12, '11, 5:14 pm
geminiangel6670's Avatar
geminiangel6670 geminiangel6670 is offline
New Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: November 2, 2009
Posts: 23
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tree of life

Proverbs 3:13-18 - New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 How blessed is the man who finds wisdom
And the man who gains understanding.
14 For her profit is better than the profit of silver
And her gain better than fine gold.
15 She is more precious than jewels;
And nothing you desire compares with her.
16 Long life is in her right hand;
In her left hand are riches and honor.
17 Her ways are pleasant ways
And all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her,
And happy are all who hold her fast.


Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Bookmarks

Tags
tree of knowledge, tree of life

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8307Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Carlos1994
5071CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4361Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4035OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3853SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3617Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3264Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3213Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: tina777
3205Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3071For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:11 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.