Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 29, '11, 1:13 am

Religion: Catholic
Default When we say "repose of the soul" do we mean that the person is not in heaven?

When we say "repose of the soul of x" do we mean to imply that x is not in heaven? What if we're wrong?
Old Aug 29, '11, 2:48 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: When we say "repose of the soul" do we mean that the person is not in heaven?

We don't mean that they are not in heaven, we're just covering our bases in case they aren't, since we have no way of knowing. Or maybe I should say, we're covering their bases!
Old Aug 29, '11, 2:56 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: When we say "repose of the soul" do we mean that the person is not in heaven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakename View Post
When we say "repose of the soul of x" do we mean to imply that x is not in heaven? What if we're wrong?
we mean the full context of the expression, that we pray for the repose of the soul of X. That is, we pray for their entrance into heaven. It in no way implies that we are dictating when this happens or declaring that it has not happened. If I say a prayer for your good health does that imply I am a doctor and have diagnosed all your illnesses?
Old Aug 29, '11, 4:16 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic Church, Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakename View Post

That is a literary expression called euphemism, that consists in saying hard things in a mild way. Mainly used with death and sex subjects. "eu" in greeek means "good, well" and "phemism" is expression, from the verb phemi, which means "to say"

Your imagination refuses death. Try to imagine you dead, as death would be the end of all. You cannot do it, because your imagination refuses "nothingness".

That is my favorite proof of the existence of soul and that the soul is eternal and immaterial.

You use an euphemism. Instead of saying the truth, "that your body is rotten and eaten by virus and bacteria and worms" I say the symbols of sleep, of rest, of peach, of never ending. So, rest in peace, sleep in peace, everlasting sleep, in the hand of God, in the right hand of God, and as I am not a native English Speaker, I would love, if any member is interested, in making a collection of english euphemism for death, other than the ones I said, for I find them very moving and beautiful. So, if anybody has got any contribution, It would be very much appreciated by me.
Old Aug 29, '11, 6:01 am

If X is already in heaven enjoying the beatific vision, they're perfectly happy to the fullest of their capacity. What kind of prayers would a person like that be in need of? Likewise, if X has no hope of ever enjoying the beatific vision, what prayers would ever benefit that individual? Prayers are most beneficial for those who die "in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified."

We have no way of knowing the true state of anyone's relationship with God, let alone the state of their soul. So we pray for the repose of their souls. No prayers are ever wasted-- so even if the soul we have in mind has no need for the merits from our prayers, those same merits will be applied to someone else in the manner God sees most fit.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology