Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 1, '11, 6:13 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Is it wrong to pray for a miracle with finances?

Hi everyone,
Is it wrong to pray for money that is needed for rent for the next 2 months? I am working 2 part time jobs,and my husband drives a bus for the school district,but summer months put us behind because he doesnt drive in summer.Now we are stuck until he gets his first check (which is monthly while school starts.I hate to worry because Jesus says not to. But do I pray for money? or doors to open to make more? any advice please
Thanks,
Beth
Old Sep 1, '11, 7:05 pm

Default Re: Is it wrong to pray for a miracle with finances?

There is certainly nothing wrong with asking the Lord for help with jobs that will enable you to meet your financial responsibilities. And, we do learn patience and perseverance while we pray for the things that we need
Old Sep 1, '11, 7:15 pm
Forum Elder

Or simply praying for the strength to endure this test of your faith, while asking for deliverance from it.
Old Sep 13, '11, 12:00 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

No it is not wrong to pray for miracles.

Not only can you pray to God, but you can also pray for help from our saints as well.

St. Jude is the patron saint of desperate cases and lost causes (there are others as well)

There is a 9 day novena of prayer to St. Jude, the link that I have used is below.

http://www.stjudenovena.org/prayingthenovena.html

Good luck and God Bless! Keep your faith strong.
Old Sep 15, '11, 4:35 pm
Prayer Warrior

no, it's not wrong. in fact, i've been doing it for over a year. also praying to the Little Flower for intercessions and talking to Jesus at Adoration every week...TODAY our prayer was answered. TODAY we got a break and can actually see a light at the end of our financial tunnel. TODAY. praise God, Jesus, Blessed Mother, St Jude and St Therese for prayers answered!!!!!
Old Sep 15, '11, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twk001 View Post
no, it's not wrong. in fact, i've been doing it for over a year. also praying to the Little Flower for intercessions and talking to Jesus at Adoration every week...TODAY our prayer was answered. TODAY we got a break and can actually see a light at the end of our financial tunnel. TODAY. praise God, Jesus, Blessed Mother, St Jude and St Therese for prayers answered!!!!!

This is wonderful news! I know God hears and answers ALL prayers (sometimes not in the way we are expecting/hoping), but it nice to hear it when prayers are answered in ways that bring peace.

Kathy
Old Sep 15, '11, 5:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth42862 View Post
Hi everyone,
Is it wrong to pray for money that is needed for rent for the next 2 months? I am working 2 part time jobs,and my husband drives a bus for the school district,but summer months put us behind because he doesnt drive in summer.Now we are stuck until he gets his first check (which is monthly while school starts.I hate to worry because Jesus says not to. But do I pray for money? or doors to open to make more? any advice please
Thanks,
Beth
It is definitely okay to pray for help with your financial needs. You have to have enough to met your legitimate needs, and there is nothing wrong with praying for that.

Examples of legitimate financial needs are: food, rent, house payments, school fees, car and travel expenses, medical expenses, clothing. There are many more expenses that are legitimate.

Praying with confidence, is not the same as worrying. The Our Father Prayer has the words: Give us this day our daily bread.

This I am sure not only refers to bread, but to all our needs.

People traditionally pray to the Holy Infant Jesus of Prague for help with their financial needs. My late mother was very good at doing this.She and my father struggled to met expenses, because of my mother's serious health problems, but I watched in awe as the Infant of Prague came to her aid with finances in special ways.

I have put testimonies of her answers to prayer through the Holy Infant Jesus of Prague, in my free online book about answers to prayer.

The history of the Infant Jesus of Prague is here.

The Holy Souls in Purgatory can, and do help their benefactors also (many testimonies here.)
Old Sep 15, '11, 5:50 pm
Prayer Warrior

thanks!!!! i don't want to go into details but it is SO amazing how NOW, when we had completely given up trying to gain control of this and had simply handed it over to God...it happened! it's not a TOTAL payoff, but enough that our debt will literally be halved. at that point, we can WORK IT and hopefully be debt free in no time!

I agree that we should pray for financial reasons for basics of living, not for things like a new plasma TV or cell phone or vacation, etc. which we did not. we were simply trying to make it with a load of debt on our laps.

I totally forgot about the Infant. I DID talk to him several times last spring too...seems like everybody i was talking to heard me!!! Praises all around!!!
Old Sep 16, '11, 6:35 am

Regarding the Infant Jesus of Prague, who is traditionally prayed to for help with finances, but also for any problem temporal or spiritual that we need

Here is one of the stories about my mother, that is in the free online book. about answers to prayer.

Help in financial need
When we were young, my mother was short of money to pay pressing medical bills, so she prayed to The Holy Infant Jesus of Prague, and a few hours later a man knocked at our door, and asked if he could buy some of the building wood which he saw in our yard. Mum did not need the wood, so she gladly sold it. The sale proceeds provided money to help her pay for the bills.

Here are two more stories from the book. One is from a friend about finance and the other is also from a friend about a health problem.

Financial assistance
A friend related the following story: she was one of eleven children of a widowed mother. Her mother was always struggling to feed and clothe the family and to pay the bills. On one occasion when there was no money left to meet their needs, her mother prayed The Infant Jesus Chaplet. Later when she swept the rooms in her house. Some money was found under the carpet to meet their immediate needs.

A health problem
A lady had been suffering for some time from a serious problem with her leg and had been in chronic pain. She prayed constantly about this to the Holy Infant Jesus of Prague. One night she felt a young child's hand rubbing her troublesome leg. There was no one in the room with her. From then on her leg was fine and gave no more trouble. The lady showed her gratitude to The Infant of Prague by giving out many leaflets on the devotion.

The following testimony (also in the book) came from a friend. It is about her grandfather:

Protection from danger at sea
A friend told me the following story about her grandfather Joseph. Joseph was on a ship off the coast of China prior to WWI. A gale blew up and large waves lashed the ship. The ship was in danger of sinking. Joseph was very devoted to the Holy Infant Jesus of Prague. He went to his cabin and took out his Infant of Prague statue and then stood on the deck and held it while praying. He received a vision of the Infant Jesus walking on the waves. The gale stopped and the waves died down. The ship was no longer in danger of going down.
Old Sep 30, '11, 10:02 pm

If you are reading this and you know something about a prayer for this type of situation, please PM me...I am very concerned about being able to pay my rent in the coming months...

Let us understand that God is a physician, and that suffering is a medicine for salvation, not a punishment for damnation.- St. Augustine

Old Jan 17, '12, 9:13 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Its not wrong to pray for help, but you have to keep in mind that a good intention invites God to act in your life. You have to remember that his plans could be different, and your prayer could be answered in an oblique manner. Saying a prayer is good, but pursuing a new line of work is also good!

Also, as hard as it is to believe, I think that God can use poor financial situations to great effect to spur people to grow in faith or charity. A bad financial situation is 100x better than a bad health situation, or bad family situation, death of a loved one, etc. You'll work through the bad financial situation in time, and if you let God work, you'll grow in faith and grace!

Last edited by kdub432; Jan 17, '12 at 9:16 am. Reason: thought of something else
Old Jan 17, '12, 12:54 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillrisenow View Post
If you are reading this and you know something about a prayer for this type of situation, please PM me...I am very concerned about being able to pay my rent in the coming months...
Formal prayers are good, but I want you to know you can go directly to our Lord and say something as simple as, "Lord. Please help me. You know my situation. I trust in you."

Even when we don't know how we should pray, the Spirit knows and he intercedes for us.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Jan 17, '12, 5:03 pm

I'd say "NO!" I need one!
Old Jan 19, '12, 8:50 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth42862 View Post
Hi everyone,
Thanks,
Beth
No...as other have said....but you need to persevere with it...and not get frustrated...and put your total trust in His will and divine providence.

God bless....
Old Jan 20, '12, 7:52 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

of course it is not wrong to pray for help, Jesus instructs us to do just that. SIL is a school bus driver and makes extra cash driving in the summer for groups that charter school buses for camps, day camp, retreats, sports events, cheerleading seminars, band competitions etc. Ask at the district if there is any possibility here.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014