Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 6, '11, 7:40 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Anxiety, Depression, and Panic Attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulLife View Post
I have various medical issues, including a mysterious fatigue issue, anxiety and depression; the latter two have been in bouts, and I'm in one now since early September.

I asked my spiritual director why we have illnesses and they said it's from original sin. We all have suffering in one form or another. I'm a questioner, too, like you and I think it would help you a lot in your spiritual journey to have a spiritual director or have talks with a good Priest.

I remember certain Saints would be allowed certain sufferings to make up for others sins and to grow in union with Jesus. Saint Gemma was given a suffering of experiencing the thorns of the crown going into her brain, among other sufferings I cannot recall. Saint Therese suffered greatly in little things throughout her life. Mother Mary suffered unimaginably for her Son in His Passion, and for the sake of the Church through her life.

My spiritual director is always saying how good suffering is for us (when offered up) as it makes us cleave to Jesus, it purifies us, and it helps us grow in holiness.

I would comment more on some things in private if you could receive private messages, but they are turned off.

Prayers for you.
Thank you and I will pray for you as well. I know I need to find a priest that I trust; I know I would benefit from a spiritual adviser. I just feel like I have exhausted so many avenues. I find my self being very frustrated that I feel like every day that I fight this battle with my brain that I am failing. As hard as I pray for relief I still feel like a failure. I dont want to come on here every day and give "poor me" news but I just feel so tired these days from my inner struggle.

Thank you so so very much for all of your prayers and intentions.

PS I am not sure how to turn on my private messages function.
Old Oct 7, '11, 8:28 pm

Continued prayers for you, friend..
Lord, hear our prayers for our brother. He is carrying a heavy cross, and You Father, know his pain. God of all healing, please take him by the hand and soothe his soul. I pray you will send the angels and the saints to minister to him in his need. Lord, show him the way...Through Jesus Christ..Amen
With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. (Matthew 19:26)
Jesus I trust in you!
Old Oct 7, '11, 9:37 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I am so sorry you are having these challenges: Be assured that God is full of love and compassion for your unique situation and family history.

Things do get better, and I am so glad you are seeking help from professionals. A new baby is on the way, that is a cause to rejoice! Yet with long residence hours, and perhaps little sleep, all your studies, of course you are feeling the way you do.

Please know that I will pray for you, and that God knows all your thoughts during every moment of your day and that He deeply cares.

Your wife and coming child are graces and Divinely ordered blessings. If you continue to reach out to others and do what you can to rest, to eat nutritious meals and perhaps find a way to lessen the study hours, you will do fine. God is with you, and so are my most earnest prayers.
Blessings to you,
Kathryn Ann
Old Oct 8, '11, 8:26 am
Veteran Member

Praying for you, LSUpathdoc.

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Take it one day at a time.

God bless!!
Old Oct 8, '11, 12:04 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

The LORD bless you
and keep you;
the LORD make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace. Num 6:24-26

Continued prayers.
Old Oct 8, '11, 12:51 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic convert!

Prayers for you today.

mlz
Old Oct 9, '11, 12:43 pm
Veteran Member

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee.

God bless!!
Old Oct 9, '11, 7:27 pm

Lord, hear our prayers for our brother. He is carrying a heavy cross, and You Father, know his pain. God of all healing, please take him by the hand and soothe his soul. I pray you will send the angels and the saints to minister to him in his need. Lord, show him the way...Through Jesus Christ..Amen
With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. (Matthew 19:26)
Jesus I trust in you!
Old Oct 9, '11, 7:41 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Remember not to listen and entertain the "negative voices". Pray, Spirit of the Living God, Jesus my Lord, I trust You through this dark time. You are in control. Thanks be to God.

Hard as it is and without any emotion you can pray this (or something similar) Remember that the Lord inhabits the praises of his people. He once told me (through the Holy Spirit) that He couldn't work through my fear, only my faith. Although a grain of a mustard seed at times, trust Him. He will honor this.

Prayers continuing,
mlz
Old Oct 10, '11, 5:51 pm
Veteran Member

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee.

God bless!!!
Old Oct 10, '11, 7:23 pm

Lord, hear our prayers for our brother. He is carrying a heavy cross, and You Father, know his pain. God of all healing, please take him by the hand and soothe and calm his soul. I pray you will send the angels and the saints to minister to him in his need. Lord, show him the way...Through Jesus Christ..Amen
Jesus I trust in you!
Old Oct 10, '11, 7:47 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Prayers continue,
mlz
Old Oct 11, '11, 8:43 pm

Its amazing every time I come to this website I am blown away by the kindness and prayers that all of you have shown me. I can't thank you all enough. God bless you all.
Old Oct 11, '11, 8:51 pm

LSUpathdoc,

I have decided to post the pm I sent to you so that others might benefit or share some further insight and ideas. The only thing I'd like to add to my original note is how important it was for me to have a really good confession (and I mean a GOOD confession) before I began my novena. I continue to keep you in my prayers; may you find comfort in that.

In Christ,
NTJ

LSUpathdoc,

I have read most of your thread concerning your anxiety and depression and I'd like to privately offer my thoughts to you. First, you are in my prayers. I admire you for all you've done and for what you are valiantly fighting. I believe you will win.

As to why I'm choosing to do this privately, I can't tell you exactly because I'm not sure. I'm sure others could benefit from what I'm telling you and at some point soon I'll likely share publicly on the forum. I will admit that my issues do not seem as complex and difficult as yours but I honestly don't believe that matters. You see, over the course of a relatively short time my husband suffered a subarachnoid brain hemorrhage (he's fine, by the way, thanks to God), we had two somewhat difficult and emotionally trying adoptions of our two beautiful children, the death of a family member, and suddenly we were contemplating a move to San Francisco. These are the biggies, there were other smaller issues thrown in there too. I still don't understand why I was plunged into anxiety; I feel I should have been strong enough to handle all of it. After all, many others seem to breeze through this stuff, don't they? But perhaps we, you and I, should view this as a gift so that we may understand what others are going through. I have come through it, am now on the other side, and am offering my help to you. See, as a doctor you'll have this tool in your arsenal. You will know and UNDERSTAND what some patients and their families are going through. YOU will be able to help them with your experience, not just lab results and MRIs. How wonderful you will be for others and how God will love you for it. Perhaps you'll also help those in your personal life or someone on this forum.

My anxiety lasted a year and half, almost exactly. For me, it was right to refuse medication. I honestly felt that I needed to overcome it without the aid of prescriptions. Again, for me, it was a good decision. I cannot speak for you, obviously, the doctor. But believe me, plenty of doctors were ready (and did) write me prescriptions. A psychologist I saw was on my side and thought it advisable not to take medication. I never took anything they gave me. What I'm sure you already know, given your profession, is to have your vitamin D level checked. Mine was very low. A true deficiency. I do not need to tell you the value of vitamin D.

In any case, I spent a whole lot of time trying to figure out what my issues were, what I could do for myself, where to get help, what to do next. I wanted to be whole for myself and my family. I prayed and prayed and prayed. I journaled. I prayed for others and I took care of myself physically. Then I found Padre Pio, Saint Pio. I love him and now have a devotion to him. I suggest you pick up a few books about him. What helped me were two books entitled Padre Pio, Man of Hope and Pray, Hope, and Don't Worry. (I tried to underline those, I'm not sure how it'll come out.) I read those books and developed a true appreciation for him as a person, a priest, and a saint. Then I said a novena to him. (You can find the novena to him online in many places or you can buy a book of novenas). It was the first novena I ever said. In fact, I had never really heard of novenas before. In case, like me, you're unaware of what novenas are, they're nine-day prayers said to a saint, Jesus, Mary, or the Holy Spirit. They're written...all we do is pray them. And I mean PRAY them. And believe. And trust. Have faith. Put it all out there. Feel it, cry it, have a conversation with him, give it your whole being. The day after I finished my novena to Saint Pio, my anxiety left. The heaviness that I had been carrying in my chest disappeared. And it hasn't come back. (You know that heaviness, don't you?) I sleep through the night again without waking up worrying about being worried. I'm happy. I'm truly happy. And so grateful. Develop a relationship with Padre Pio. Introduce yourself to him (though he probably already knows you) and let him love you. Perhaps you'll feel a pull to another saint, but he helped me. Boy, did he help me. His prayers are powerful; pray for him to intercede for you.

Believe me, you can get through this. Offer up your suffering for your mother's soul, if you like. And then believe that God wants you to be happy and enjoy the life He gave you. Know that this has been for a reason, appreciate it for that, and then knock it out of here. You DESERVE to enjoy life, we all do. You DESERVE to enjoy your family and they DESERVE a happy and whole husband and father. You'll get there, I know it.

Please let me know you got this. I'm praying for you.
In Christ,
NTJ
Old Oct 11, '11, 9:00 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: roman catholic - traditional

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among wome and
blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, jesus.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions