Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 9, '11, 11:21 pm

Religion: Catholic on a journey
Default speaking to loved ones who passed away

Is it possible to still have a connection with our loved ones who have passed away? Can we talk to them and ask for their guidance?
Old Sep 10, '11, 4:33 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: speaking to loved ones who passed away

We're to pray for them as they may be in Purgatory. We pray to the saints for guidance. That being said, I still "talk" to my parents and other realitives. I also talk about them to younger relatives so they're not forgotten.
Old Sep 10, '11, 4:37 am

The Communion of Saints is established Catholic theology!

Our connection is, as ever, Christ. Through our baptism and the eucharist we are part of Christ. When we are brought to fullness in Christ, it is an eternal Eucharist that binds us together with the same intimacy that is enjoyed by the father & the Son.

So, 'YES!', we have a definite connection to our departed loved ones, and 'yes', we can ask for their prayers, as we should pray for them. (Although I am not sure exactly what the Church says about our time in ' purgatory' I am disinclined to believe that emerging saints are indifferent to we who are left behind).
Old Sep 10, '11, 5:37 am

it makes sense that we are all connected to God's kingdom since we're all His children.
I had a relative who made a commitment to her deceased father that she would move to his hometown to please him. would that have any spiritual significance or is it just a way to remember him?
Old Sep 11, '11, 6:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinefaith View Post
it makes sense that we are all connected to God's kingdom since we're all His children.
I had a relative who made a commitment to her deceased father that she would move to his hometown to please him. would that have any spiritual significance or is it just a way to remember him?
It doesn't have any spiritual significance.
Old Sep 11, '11, 7:02 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Is it possible to still have a connection with our loved ones who have passed away? Can we talk to them and ask for their guidance?
go to the CA homepage library and search for articles on praying to the saints. that should answer your questions. No, you cannot ask the dead to speak from the grave, nor can you ask those in heaven to give you supernatural knowledge you have no right to.
Old Sep 12, '11, 1:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
go to the CA homepage library and search for articles on praying to the saints. that should answer your questions. No, you cannot ask the dead to speak from the grave, nor can you ask those in heaven to give you supernatural knowledge you have no right to.
I have read about saints praying for us. I still have some questions which hopefully
could be clarified. For example do saints have the ability to appear to us in our visions. I have heard of people who experience this but I'm not sure if this is possible.
If anyone has references to this topic please share if you can.
Old Sep 12, '11, 2:01 am

Quote:
Over the past, I have read about saints praying for us. I still have some questions which hopefully could be clarified. For example do saints have the ability to appear to us in our visions. I have heard of people who experience this but I'm not sure if this is possible.
If anyone has references to this topic please share if you can.
Old Sep 12, '11, 10:52 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
I dunno, years after my Dad passed I was trying to saw a board by myself and I heard his voice in my head say "Rock it!" Who knew? Girls didn't saw stuff when I was young. Really worked too, the thing stopped sticking was way faster and cleaner.

I don't know if I had the "right" to this knowledge from what I guess is a supernatural source, I just think my Dad was watching and rolling his eyes as usual and then telling me how to do it. I talk to 'em all the time, they are my loved ones, my family. Often it's just, "Guys! Where'd I put my glasses?" Amazing how often that works!
Old Sep 15, '11, 12:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Mae View Post
I dunno, years after my Dad passed I was trying to saw a board by myself and I heard his voice in my head say "Rock it!" Who knew? Girls didn't saw stuff when I was young. Really worked too, the thing stopped sticking was way faster and cleaner.

I don't know if I had the "right" to this knowledge from what I guess is a supernatural source, I
just think my Dad was watching and rolling his eyes as usual and then telling me how to do it. I talk to 'em all the time, they are my loved ones, my family. Often it's just, "Guys! Where'd I put my glasses?" Amazing how often that works!
I wonder what the Church would say about such spiritual experiences!
Old Sep 15, '11, 2:06 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
I wonder what the Church would say about such spiritual experiences!
I had a DRE who once said to me, "The Communion of Saints is mentorship." We hear stories like Dale Earnhardt Jr who crashed his race car and felt himself, semi-conscious, being lifted up and out of the burning wreckage. The film shows no one around the car as his head and shoulders emerged. He is convinced it was his Dad.

So, we hear these stories and they are always about life threatening situations but why does it have to be that for them to help us? It's like we think they are all distant and would only come in an emergency. .

I mean, there are way more of them, our loved ones and our Guardian Angels and the Saints and everyone wants us to make good choices and be close to God and get to Heaven. And they want to help us. They love us. Why shouldn't we turn to them, which to me always means turning to God, in the form of those closer to Him, for everything? I don't mean worship them but - well - if your child lost something and was looking for it, wouldn't you help her? or him? If your friend was nervous about a job interview wouldn't you encourage them? I think they must do a better job than we do.

We are the Church Militant, we are struggling here, but never alone. They are the Church Triumphant, let's all just get together and be closer. I can't think that can be anything but good.
Old Sep 15, '11, 7:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Mae View Post
I had a DRE who once said to me, "The Communion of Saints is mentorship." We hear stories like Dale Earnhardt Jr who crashed his race car and felt himself, semi-conscious, being lifted up and out of the burning wreckage. The film shows no one around the car as his head and shoulders emerged. He is convinced it was his Dad.

So, we hear these stories and they are always about life threatening situations but why does it have to be that for them to help us? It's like we think they are all distant and would only come in an emergency. .

I mean, there are way more of them, our loved ones and our Guardian Angels and the Saints and everyone wants us to make good choices and be close to God and get to Heaven. And they want to help us. They love us. Why shouldn't we turn to them, which to me always means turning to God, in the form of those closer to Him, for everything? I don't mean worship them but - well - if your child lost something and was looking for it, wouldn't you help her? or him? If your friend was nervous about a job interview wouldn't you encourage them? I think they must do a better job than we do.

We are the Church Militant, we are struggling here, but never alone. They are the Church Triumphant, let's all just get together and be closer. I can't think that can be anything but good.
I have heard of several people who had similar experiences. I will discuss this with a spiritual director (when i find one). Once again, I love your spirituality
Old Sep 15, '11, 7:24 am

Pray for them yes, if it's divine intercession you need then direct your prayers to the BVM or another such sainted patron. The trouble with a desire to talk with deceased loved one's is that demons will most likely use that opportunity to misdirect you.
Old Sep 15, '11, 7:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolus Martell View Post
Pray for them yes, if it's divine intercession you need then direct your prayers to the BVM or another such sainted patron. The trouble with a desire to talk with deceased loved one's is that demons will most likely use that opportunity to misdirect you.
You have a reasonable point. I'll need to discuss this topic more.
Old Sep 15, '11, 7:56 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

St. Therese of Liseux had a devotion to some of her siblings who died in the womb. It was just like devotion to any Saint. I have something similar but I did not seek it out, I "test the spirit" by asking him to praise Jesus and state Jesus is resurrected in the flesh, and I have a spiritual director I talk to about it. I just ask this family member saint (died before birth) to pray for me.

I think trouble comes if we seek out a connection and desire it then demons can play on this desire especially if we want special knowledge.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality