Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #46  
Old Sep 17, '11, 3:20 am
grannymh grannymh is offline
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: November 16, 2008
Posts: 15,286
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reginator View Post

Two "checks"...
Two checks on what? One check on their service and one check on their building standards? What else may you have been checking for?
If you want to cover your mortgage payments you'd better start giving them proper cheques instead.
Instead of proper --what are cheques? Are they the people who stand in queues?
  #47  
Old Sep 17, '11, 1:10 pm
Peggy in Burien Peggy in Burien is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Posts: 16,999
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymh View Post
Instead of proper --what are cheques? Are they the people who stand in queues?
Must be the same folks. Those Brits, Aussies, and Canucks love to add all kinds of useless letters to their words. Makes them feel all special and fancy, you know. While we Yanks have cleaned up our spellings; made them more streamlined. Uses less ink.

You will note, though, that in their reknowned politeness, none of them (or you, either, Queen Mum Granny) have asked why on Titan I had to hand over two checks, cheques, Czechs, after standing in line in the queue.
__________________
Blessed Nicholas Steno, please pray for us.
  #48  
Old Sep 17, '11, 1:46 pm
grannymh grannymh is offline
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: November 16, 2008
Posts: 15,286
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy in Burien View Post
Must be the same folks. Those Brits, Aussies, and Canucks love to add all kinds of useless letters to their words. Makes them feel all special and fancy, you know. While we Yanks have cleaned up our spellings; made them more streamlined. Uses less ink.

You will note, though, that in their reknowned politeness, none of them (or you, either, Queen Mum Granny) have asked why on Titan I had to hand over two checks, cheques, Czechs, after standing in line in the queue.
Queen Mum Granny -- I like that. I seem to remember that something was said about two accounts and that you were robbing Peter to pay Paul who was the person who insisted on the correct amount. But if that is so, then you were handing over three checkers.
  #49  
Old Sep 17, '11, 1:52 pm
Peggy in Burien Peggy in Burien is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Posts: 16,999
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymh View Post
Queen Mum Granny -- I like that. I seem to remember that something was said about two accounts and that you were robbing Peter to pay Paul who was the person who insisted on the correct amount. But if that is so, then you were handing over three checkers.
No, Queen Mum Granny, only two checks were handed over. I didn't rob Peter or Paul, as they are both as poor as church mice. The teller let me correct and initial the one check, to make up the dollar.
__________________
Blessed Nicholas Steno, please pray for us.
  #50  
Old Sep 17, '11, 2:12 pm
grannymh grannymh is offline
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: November 16, 2008
Posts: 15,286
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy in Burien View Post
No, Queen Mum Granny, only two checks were handed over. I didn't rob Peter or Paul, as they are both as poor as church mice. The teller let me correct and initial the one check, to make up the dollar.
Make up the dollar. Oh my poor heart. How many times have I told you that if you are going to counterfit money, do it in big amounts. Them dollars aren't worth the extra pennies that teller told you about. As my Irish Mum would say (and I am not making this up) one might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb.
  #51  
Old Sep 17, '11, 2:15 pm
Peggy in Burien Peggy in Burien is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Posts: 16,999
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymh View Post
Make up the dollar. Oh my poor heart. How many times have I told you that if you are going to counterfit money, do it in big amounts. Them dollars aren't worth the extra pennies that teller told you about. As my Irish Mum would say (and I am not making this up) one might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb.
LOL! I wonder what the young teller would have done if I had handed him the change in my purse? I already felt like the kid in the early 1960s CrackerJack commercial.
__________________
Blessed Nicholas Steno, please pray for us.
  #52  
Old Sep 17, '11, 11:53 pm
John21652 John21652 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: December 1, 2009
Posts: 7,979
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to John21652
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymh View Post
Make up the dollar. Oh my poor heart. How many times have I told you that if you are going to counterfit money, do it in big amounts. Them dollars aren't worth the extra pennies that teller told you about. As my Irish Mum would say (and I am not making this up) one might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb.
That's a great saying in our family as well. Being totally of Irish descent on both sides of the family and all...I think it's what our Royal forbears used to tell the peasants who got caught stealing our sheep.
  #53  
Old Sep 18, '11, 12:09 am
Peggy in Burien Peggy in Burien is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Posts: 16,999
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John21652 View Post
That's a great saying in our family as well. Being totally of Irish descent on both sides of the family and all...I think it's what our Royal forbears used to tell the peasants who got caught stealing our sheep.
My Irish Grammer had the same saying, too.
__________________
Blessed Nicholas Steno, please pray for us.
  #54  
Old Sep 18, '11, 8:51 pm
grannymh grannymh is offline
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: November 16, 2008
Posts: 15,286
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John21652 View Post
That's a great saying in our family as well. Being totally of Irish descent on both sides of the family and all...I think it's what our Royal forbears used to tell the peasants who got caught stealing our sheep.
Here's another saying of my Irish Mother. I didn't figure it out until I was on my own working.

She would say: Even the worst of us can serve as a good example.
  #55  
Old Sep 19, '11, 12:30 am
Peggy in Burien Peggy in Burien is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Posts: 16,999
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymh View Post
Here's another saying of my Irish Mother. I didn't figure it out until I was on my own working.

She would say: Even the worst of us can serve as a good example.
Love it!!

My Irish Grammer's favorite: (when we finally found something) If it'd been a snake, it would have bit you!
__________________
Blessed Nicholas Steno, please pray for us.
  #56  
Old Sep 19, '11, 4:11 pm
John21652 John21652 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: December 1, 2009
Posts: 7,979
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to John21652
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymh View Post
Here's another saying of my Irish Mother. I didn't figure it out until I was on my own working.

She would say: Even the worst of us can serve as a good example.
In contemporary society, she would probably say that a good example is set when the worst of us are culled!
  #57  
Old Sep 19, '11, 4:13 pm
John21652 John21652 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: December 1, 2009
Posts: 7,979
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to John21652
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy in Burien View Post
Love it!!

My Irish Grammer's favorite: (when we finally found something) If it'd been a snake, it would have bit you!
My grandma of Irish descent used to say about another person, "He wouldn't say it even if he stood in it"!
  #58  
Old Sep 19, '11, 4:17 pm
Peggy in Burien Peggy in Burien is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Posts: 16,999
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John21652 View Post
My grandma of Irish descent used to say about another person, "He wouldn't say it even if he stood in it"!
Haven't heard that one, but makes sense, as all Irish grandmothers do!

The other favourite was:

Let sleeping dogs and children lie.

I always wondered why I got in trouble for lying!
__________________
Blessed Nicholas Steno, please pray for us.
  #59  
Old Sep 19, '11, 5:09 pm
John21652 John21652 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: December 1, 2009
Posts: 7,979
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to John21652
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy in Burien View Post
Haven't heard that one, but makes sense, as all Irish grandmothers do!

The other favourite was:

Let sleeping dogs and children lie.

I always wondered why I got in trouble for lying!
Let me guess - you woke the dog and wouldn't own up!
  #60  
Old Sep 19, '11, 5:13 pm
grannymh grannymh is offline
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: November 16, 2008
Posts: 15,286
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ignore This, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John21652 View Post
My grandma of Irish descent used to say about another person, "He wouldn't say it even if he stood in it"!
To which my brother would stand on a chair.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8303Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Inariga
5070CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4355Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: Marla Frances
4035OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3853SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3613Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3264Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3210Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3196Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3067For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:10 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.