Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 15, '11, 12:28 am

Religion: Converting from Baptist to Catholic In RCIA
Send a message via MSN to Chuck1
Default Difference between catholic and baptist?

Hi I was wondering , what is the difference between a baptist and a catholic and I was wondering how one or the other can effect your everyday life or if one effects more one than the other if you see what I'm saying ? Any examples ?
Old Sep 15, '11, 1:39 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Difference between catholic and baptist?

There are quite a few differences, both in theology and in life style. There is a wide area of common ground too. There are huge variations among Baptists, but here are some that come to mind from my former church:

We did not believe in Real Presence, in Tradition, in baptism of infants, in the absolute necessity of baptism, in the communion of the saints, in mortal sin, in the magisterium, in non-immersion baptism, in holy water, in incense, in asking saints for intercession, in the perpetual virginity of the BVM, in Purgatory, or in any Bible other than a KJV with 66 books. We were sola scriptura and sola fide.

WE shared a Trinitarian doctrine, belief the Virgin Birth, and the resurrection of Our Lord.

There were differences in life style. Movies were discouraged. Television was thought to be slightly evil at best. Dancing was forbidden. Any use of alcohol other than in medicines was extremely sinful. Music that could be considered worldly was to be avoided. Birth control was never discussed at all.

There was no formal mechanism for examining past marriages to see if they were null. Divorced people who remarried could not participate fully in the church. The men could not be deacons and the women could not be Sunday School teachers.

The deacons were elected and acted as the church board. There were twelve active at any one time, but there could be any number of inactive deacons. The deacons were different from the rest of us at services only in that they served communion, done by passing plates of broken crackers and trays of grape juice in small glasses down the pews.

We had major interaction before and after services. Everyone was in his pew when the service started and when it ended. There was no such thing as sliding in just ahead of the Gospel and trying to beat the minister out the door. If someone didn't make it to church, people noticed and checked on them. We knew several hundred people by name.
Old Sep 15, '11, 4:07 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

May I ask what is a Catholic/Baptist?
Old Sep 15, '11, 5:24 am

Religion: Converting from Baptist to Catholic In RCIA
Send a message via MSN to Chuck1

@ wardrandolph- yes I go to a baptist church and am going to be baptised at the church on october 2 and nearly at the en of the couse but now I'm it sure cuz I thinking o converting to the catholic church so I dunno what to do and couldnt leave my church becuase I've been there for ages and like a second family and become a member after baptism so now I'm all confused .
Old Sep 15, '11, 6:25 am
Forum Master

Religion: Roman Catholic

I grew up Baptist (Conference Baptist) and I converted to Catholicism when I turned 47, 7 years ago.

The authority issue is the biggest difference between Baptists (or any Protestant denomination) and Catholicism.

Basically, Catholics believe that Christ has placed the Church in authority over Christians on earth, while Baptists believe that Christ has placed the Bible in authority over Christians on earth.

Catholics believe not only that the Church is a visible organization here on earth, but also that Jesus passed the leadership of the Church here on earth to a real human being, Peter, who then passed it to another human being, and so on, up until this very day when Pope Benedict XVI is in charge. Christ is still the Head of the Church, but His bishop, the Pope, has authority over the Church on earth.

Catholics also believe in the authority of the bishops over the Church( the Pope is the head of the bishops). Catholics also believe in the Authority of Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, but none of these three things (BIshops/Tradition/Scripture) can contradict each other.

Baptists believe in the authority of the Bible, and that's it. They voluntarily place themselves under the authority of their denomination and their local pastors, but that authority is not binding on them should they choose to leave and attend another church or even quit being Baptist and attend another denomination. The ONLY authority is the Bible, and each Christian is free to interpret the Bible according to the leading of the Holy Spirit in their lives. .

The authority is the main issue that converts to Catholicism have to deal with. If a Christian accepts the authority of the Church, headed by the Pope, then all the other issues will fall into place. E.g., the Church states that Mary is the Mother of God and worthy of veneration--so that's the end of all the doubts about Mary. E.g., the Church says that contraception is a grave evil, and so Catholic couples who deliberately choose to use artificial birth control are in a state of sin. And of course, the biggest example--the Church says that the Eucharist is Jesus Christ, Truly Present Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, NOT just a "symbol."

And of course, the Catholic Church makes the statement that they are THE Church of Jesus Christ, the ONLY true Church of Jesus Christ, and that all the other denominations are "separated brethren."

If a person cannot accept the authority of the Church/Pope, then they will have constant doubts about many different doctrines in the Catholic Church and probably not be obedient to the precepts of the Church. And they will certainly not believe that the Catholic Church is the ONLY Church of Christ, the True Church.

So IMO as a convert, the first thing that anyone considering converting to the Catholic Church needs to settle is the authority issue. Once you have that issue settled, everything else will fall into place, and you must conclude that the Catholic Church is It, the Church of Jesus Christ, the Church that you and all the world is searching for.
Old Sep 16, '11, 3:07 am

Religion: traditional Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1 View Post
@ wardrandolph- yes I go to a baptist church and am going to be baptised at the church on october 2 and nearly at the en of the couse but now I'm it sure cuz I thinking o converting to the catholic church so I dunno what to do and couldnt leave my church becuase I've been there for ages and like a second family and become a member after baptism so now I'm all confused .
I know how you feel. I felt the same way when I left Mormonism for the Catholic Church. It's a hard choice, for sure. But I can promise you without reservation that it will be worth it. Just keep reading the information under the faith tab, and above all else, pray for guidance and strength.
Old Sep 16, '11, 5:06 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post

So IMO as a convert, the first thing that anyone considering converting to the Catholic Church needs to settle is the authority issue. Once you have that issue settled, everything else will fall into place, and you must conclude that the Catholic Church is It, the Church of Jesus Christ, the Church that you and all the world is searching for.
I completely agree with this.

When I first started exploring Catholicism on this forum and at one point started freaking out, I believe it was CAF member ddarko (bless his heart) who told me that my approach was wrong. That instead of approaching the church by looking at individual doctrines, the first thing I had to deal with is the issue of Church authority. If I were ever able to reconcile with the fact that Jesus himself gave the Church the authority to bind and loose, the I would be okay.

And that's what I did.

Thanks ddarko!

edit: Oh my goodness, he has been banned.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Sep 16, '11, 5:16 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I grew up Baptist (Conference Baptist) and I converted to Catholicism when I turned 47, 7 years ago.

The authority issue is the biggest difference between Baptists (or any Protestant denomination) and Catholicism.

Basically, Catholics believe that Christ has placed the Church in authority over Christians on earth, while Baptists believe that Christ has placed the Bible in authority over Christians on earth.

Catholics believe not only that the Church is a visible organization here on earth, but also that Jesus passed the leadership of the Church here on earth to a real human being, Peter, who then passed it to another human being, and so on, up until this very day when Pope Benedict XVI is in charge. Christ is still the Head of the Church, but His bishop, the Pope, has authority over the Church on earth.

Catholics also believe in the authority of the bishops over the Church( the Pope is the head of the bishops). Catholics also believe in the Authority of Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, but none of these three things (BIshops/Tradition/Scripture) can contradict each other.

Baptists believe in the authority of the Bible, and that's it. They voluntarily place themselves under the authority of their denomination and their local pastors, but that authority is not binding on them should they choose to leave and attend another church or even quit being Baptist and attend another denomination. The ONLY authority is the Bible, and each Christian is free to interpret the Bible according to the leading of the Holy Spirit in their lives. .

The authority is the main issue that converts to Catholicism have to deal with. If a Christian accepts the authority of the Church, headed by the Pope, then all the other issues will fall into place. E.g., the Church states that Mary is the Mother of God and worthy of veneration--so that's the end of all the doubts about Mary. E.g., the Church says that contraception is a grave evil, and so Catholic couples who deliberately choose to use artificial birth control are in a state of sin. And of course, the biggest example--the Church says that the Eucharist is Jesus Christ, Truly Present Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, NOT just a "symbol."

And of course, the Catholic Church makes the statement that they are THE Church of Jesus Christ, the ONLY true Church of Jesus Christ, and that all the other denominations are "separated brethren."

If a person cannot accept the authority of the Church/Pope, then they will have constant doubts about many different doctrines in the Catholic Church and probably not be obedient to the precepts of the Church. And they will certainly not believe that the Catholic Church is the ONLY Church of Christ, the True Church.

CAT, you say it quite well!

Don't forget too the issue of sola fide...faith alone. Many Baptists believe that a person is saved by God's grace through faith alone but Catholics believe that we are saved by the Grace of God through faith + works.
Old Sep 16, '11, 6:16 am

Religion: Catholique

I'll second or third the concept of Church authority. This is a tough pill to swallow for all Catholics, especially for converts. There is a reason why so many Protestants convert to Orthodoxy as opposed to Catholicism.
Old Sep 16, '11, 6:58 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertBlyleven View Post
I'll second or third the concept of Church authority. This is a tough pill to swallow for all Catholics, especially for converts. There is a reason why so many Protestants convert to Orthodoxy as opposed to Catholicism.

I agree Bert...many Catholics have difficulty believing in the infallibility of the pope. By the way, is your screen name in reference to the former pitcher for the KC Royals?
Old Sep 16, '11, 4:30 pm

Cat nailed it. When you think about authority, things do start falling into place. That was one issue that unsettled my thoughts before I crossed the Tiber.

Our theology would change slightly with every new preacher at our church. Arguments would end with "Brother (as our pastor was commonly known) Smith doesn't believe that way." OK, but what stands behind that opinion? It was only his interpretation or his conviction that something was sound doctrine. With it being KJV-only, there was no 2,000 years of Tradition to fall back on and no authoritative rulings. It seemed we based much on the shifting sands of one man's opinion.
Old Sep 16, '11, 7:26 pm

Religion: Catholique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo222 View Post
I agree Bert...many Catholics have difficulty believing in the infallibility of the pope. By the way, is your screen name in reference to the former pitcher for the KC Royals?
Nope...Bert Blyleven never played for the Royals!
Old Sep 16, '11, 7:40 pm

Arrow WARNING: Long list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1 View Post
Hi I was wondering , what is the difference between a baptist and a catholic and I was wondering how one or the other can effect your everyday life or if one effects more one than the other if you see what I'm saying ? Any examples ?
  1. Catholics pray for the intercession of saints which means that they ask Mary or a Saint to pray for them to God. Baptists don't.
  2. Catholics believe Mary was concieved without sin, Baptists believe Mary was a sinner
  3. Catholics believe Mary went up body and soul into Heaven, Baptists believe Mary died a normal physical death.
  4. Catholics use sacred images, Baptists don't
  5. Catholics have homilies and masses, Baptists have sermons and services
  6. Catholics baptize babies, Baptists don't
  7. The Pope is the head of the Roman Catholic Church. Baptists don't have an official head of the Church.
  8. Catholics believe salvation begins at baptism, is lost by mortal (big) sin, and regained by repentance and confession, Baptists believe salvation begins with accepting Jesus as one's savior and can not be lost.
  9. Baptists believe Mary had sex with Joseph and later had kids after Jesus. Catholics believe Mary was always a virgin and that the "brothers and sisters" mentioned in the Bible, were His cousins, because that's what cousins were referred to back then in that language.
  10. Catholics believe were are justified by Faith and Works. Baptists believe we are justified by Faith alone.
  11. Catholics believe the bread and wine becomes the body and blood of Jesus, Baptists believe the bread and wine is just a symbol.
  12. Catholics have celibate all-male priests (except Eastern Catholic Priests can marry), Baptists have pastors who can marry and be women (correct me if I'm wrong about that)

There are many differences but these are just some, God bless

David

Are you a proud Hispanic Catholic too? Come join the group!

http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1318
Old Sep 16, '11, 8:30 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to stthomas

The differences between the Church and all protestant communities are basically the same with a few variations. One example would be that Protestants don't acknowledge Holy Sacraments, this is mainly due to their beliefs don't necessitate a valid priesthood. Also, to be Catholic one has to accept 'everything' the Church teaches, even if you dont understand some things. It is either all or nothing, else why be Catholic? I believe that the biggest hurdle for non-Catholics is to accept that absolute truth does exist and can only be found in the Catholic Faith. Having realized this, I entered the Church 6 years ago. TBTG!
Old Sep 17, '11, 3:49 am
Trial Membership

Default Re: WARNING: Long list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingtheway View Post
  1. Catholics pray for the intercession of saints which means that they ask Mary or a Saint to pray for them to God. Baptists don't.
  2. Catholics believe Mary was concieved without sin, Baptists believe Mary was a sinner
  3. Catholics believe Mary went up body and soul into Heaven, Baptists believe Mary died a normal physical death.
  4. Catholics use sacred images, Baptists don't
  5. Catholics have homilies and masses, Baptists have sermons and services
  6. Catholics baptize babies, Baptists don't
  7. The Pope is the head of the Roman Catholic Church. Baptists don't have an official head of the Church.
  8. Catholics believe salvation begins at baptism, is lost by mortal (big) sin, and regained by repentance and confession, Baptists believe salvation begins with accepting Jesus as one's savior and can not be lost.
  9. Baptists believe Mary had sex with Joseph and later had kids after Jesus. Catholics believe Mary was always a virgin and that the "brothers and sisters" mentioned in the Bible, were His cousins, because that's what cousins were referred to back then in that language.
  10. Catholics believe were are justified by Faith and Works. Baptists believe we are justified by Faith alone.
  11. Catholics believe the bread and wine becomes the body and blood of Jesus, Baptists believe the bread and wine is just a symbol.
  12. Catholics have celibate all-male priests (except Eastern Catholic Priests can marry), Baptists have pastors who can marry and be women (correct me if I'm wrong about that)

There are many differences but these are just some, God bless

David
This was very simple and comprehensive
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions