Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 15, '11, 6:37 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Mormon Jesus in Utah?

I am an RCIA table leader and the subject of mormons came up at my table and one of the girls in my group said some mormons came to her door, and they were telling her a lot of bizarre things, the strangest of which they said that Jesus was here on earth in person, human form, living in Utah and making prophecies. This is unlike anything any mormon has ever told me before. I wonder if this is some sort of fringe group of the mormon faith. Has anyone ever heard this before?
Old Sep 15, '11, 7:24 am

Religion: Quaker
Default Re: Mormon Jesus in Utah?

I seem to remember a fringe group that believes that.....can't recall really.

The Three Nephites and John the Apostle are believed to still be present in this world.....they asked to stay until the second coming.
Old Sep 15, '11, 8:38 am

Send a message via AIM to BigFellaMick Send a message via Yahoo to BigFellaMick

lol the recession must be hitting utah really hard. Such idle fancies some people have.
Old Sep 17, '11, 6:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
No. The term is transubstantiation. The wine does not physically become blood cells and plasma.

Exactly so. And the Turin Shroud is an irrelevance, as Catholics aren't obliged to believe in it. The marks on the shroud may or may not be the blood of Jesus. Catholics aren't obliged to believe they are, or even that the marks are blood at all. We can believe that they are paint of some kind if we want.
Old Sep 17, '11, 9:53 am

Religion: lapsed, but seeking Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompSciGuy View Post
I am an RCIA table leader and the subject of mormons came up at my table and one of the girls in my group said some mormons came to her door, and they were telling her a lot of bizarre things, the strangest of which they said that Jesus was here on earth in person, human form, living in Utah and making prophecies. This is unlike anything any mormon has ever told me before. I wonder if this is some sort of fringe group of the mormon faith. Has anyone ever heard this before?
Well the Mormons do believe that after certain Jews fled Palestine to inhabit the Americas, that the resurrected Jesus Christ appeared to them to preach the good news, and presumably also give prophecy.

But what I don't understand is that if Jesus in Acts ascended to heaven, and the implication was he would return when it was time for judgment, then why would he suddenly just appear in the Americas?

«...Conoscerete la verità, e la verità vi renderà liberi.».
(Giovanni 8:32)

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Old Sep 17, '11, 6:14 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Old School)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smirknoff View Post
You did nothing wrong here. Where it got silly was when others assumed that this was an actual les belief.
I don't think anyone here assumed it was an actual LDS belief. But, I think the OP and others are curious about whether or not the LDS church teaches that Jesus will return by being born to another mother (most likely as a LDS), since some of them seem to think that other 'prophets' might also have been (or will be) 'reborn' in a similar way (Elijah and Enoch?). Since they tend to understand most things of the Bible in a very literal human sense, and that we all existed long before we were born, that POV would not be out of the scope of their belief system. After all, they think that God was once a 'regular guy' like the rest of us, and had to have been 'born' on another planet more than once, in order to fully progress in his 'godhood'. So, even stranger things are not all that difficult for anyone here to believe about them. They really do have some very bizarre ways of looking at all scripture, and with all of their 'secret knowledge' in a closed Temple, I wouldn't be surprised that they could really believe this kind of thing, at all.

"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament." ~ Padré Pio
Old Sep 19, '11, 6:15 pm
Banned

Religion: Latter-day Saint

Yup. And don't forget that we also believe that if Hale-Bopp had been a bigger comet, all us Mormons could've ridden "home" with the Heaven's Gate people (one of God's ... I mean god's ... rare mistakes - but you can't expect too much from a "regular guy" beyond him buying you a beer every now and then ... that we can't drink anyway!).

We also believe that the Beatles actually were more popular than Jesus.

And as a temple-attending Mormon, I believe my dog has been endowed with special powers from Kolob that enables him to perform calculus (you can read all about that in the Book of Abraham).

You people kill me. At one time I thought Catholics were more thoughtful and analytically capable than your typical backwater Evangelical anti-Mormon.

This thread has pretty much disabused me of that notion.
Old Sep 19, '11, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty0908 View Post
Yup. And don't forget that we also believe that if Hale-Bopp had been a bigger comet, all us Mormons could've ridden "home" with the Heaven's Gate people (one of God's ... I mean god's ... rare mistakes - but you can't expect too much from a "regular guy" beyond him buying you a beer every now and then ... that we can't drink anyway!).

And as a temple-attending Mormon, I believe my dog has been endowed with special powers from Kolob that enables him to perform calculus (you can read all about that in the Book of Abraham).

You people kill me. At one time I thought Catholics were more thoughtful and analytically capable than your typical backwater Evangelical anti-Mormon.

Why don't you refer to the specific Catholics on this tread that you disagree with instead of grouping all 1.2 billion Catholics around the world in one group of 'you Catholics.'
Old Sep 19, '11, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCatholic View Post
Why don't you refer to the specific Catholics on this tread that you disagree with instead of grouping all 1.2 billion Catholics around the world in one group of 'you Catholics.'
I’d rather see a Mormon refer to the incorrect statement and correct it. When I see posts like lefty0908’s, I think there must be some truth to the subject they are ranting about or else they would have addressed it directly.
Old Sep 19, '11, 8:24 pm
Veteran Member

I don't know one Mormon who believes Jesus lives in Utah.
Old Sep 19, '11, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty0908 View Post

Lefty, please read the original post. This thread is a response to information that was spread by door-to-door missionaries and I was asking does any particular branch of mormons believe this. It is a response to interactions with the missionaries. That is all.
Old Sep 19, '11, 9:19 pm

P.S. that dog of yours would have come in really handy around freshman year. Perhaps I could borrow him sometime.
Old Sep 20, '11, 5:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaJ View Post
I don't know one Mormon who believes Jesus lives in Utah.
Are there Mormons who believe the Apostle John is still alive?
Old Sep 20, '11, 8:13 am

Religion: Still LDS on paper; investigating the RCC

Here's the straight scoop:

Members of the LDS Church share the same nouns, but not necessarily the same meanings. They can believe a wide variety of things, as long as they proffer the shared nouns when teaching classes, speaking in Sacrament Meeting, or otherwise acting officially. There isn't much probing of the actual beliefs of members, and if members adhere to those nouns they'll mostly avoid Church Discipline.

The LDS hierarchy uses those nouns to teach whatever is convenient to its purposes at the time. This is how the endless contradictions in Mormonism are reconciled; current leaders have the authority to say what is relevant right now and to interpret it. This is how a church can build a $3 billion mall, mobilize resources after disasters, and fail to sound coherent to Christendom.

None of the major branches of Mormonism would be teaching, as doctrine or common belief, what the person at RCIA said was taught at the doorstep. There are a few tiny, fringe groups that might be that goofy, and there's always the possibility that the Mormons at the door were off their rocker like the Laffertys and Mitchell, or like the other oddballs who hang around near Temple Square.
Old Sep 20, '11, 8:37 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen168 View Post
Are there Mormons who believe the Apostle John is still alive?
That belief is scriptural (Mormon scriptures, not the Bible).
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions