Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 11, '05, 2:30 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Apologist Dave Armstrong?

How good of an apologist do you all think Dave Armstrong is?
Old Jun 11, '05, 3:32 pm
Forum Master

Default Re: Apologist Dave Armstrong?

His book, A Biblical Defense of Catholicism is pretty good, and well worth it. He doesn't get bogged down in details, although he does cover each topic adequately. I use if for several discussions. I haven't read any other books of his. Does anyone recommend any of his?

NotWorthy

P.S. I love the title "A Biblical Defense of Catholicism" because I feel my Non-Catholic friends would think it is the shortest book in history. Sort of like, "The Moral Life of Bill Clinton" would be.
Old Jun 11, '05, 4:11 pm

I think he's very good, but possibly very underappreciated as well. His website is packed full of information and copies of his conversations with non-Catholics.

Sursum corda!
Old Jun 11, '05, 4:51 pm

Great Apologist!!! Can't say enough good things about the man.

I have three of his books: A Biblical Defense of Catholicism, More Biblical Evidence for Catholicism and his newest release The Catholic Verses. I would recommend all three but especially his latest book and A Biblical Defense of Catholicism. Everything you need to understand the differences in theology between Catholics and non-Catholics is there with LOADS of biblical passages to back everything up!!

For anyone who thinks that the Catholic teaching isn't biblical, run to your nearest bookstore and buy these books.

Also, I highly recommend checking out his blog site at
http://socrates58.blogspot.com and his website is excellent also.
Old Jun 11, '05, 5:11 pm

Yes I agree in fact he is one of my favorite apologist. Although I do not think he is underapreciated of others. He himself is normaly attacked it seems. James White thinks he's a joke and a whinner. Ha, I visited Whites site and e-mailed him. Someone e-mailed me back though I don't think it was James. I emailed because I was emotional on fire and upset at the ridiculous claims White made against Dave.
Old Jun 11, '05, 5:22 pm
Banned

I believe Dave is a very good apologist, but so is Karl Keating, Stephen Ray and Robert Sungenis. Bob Sungenis wrote three books which I feel should be on every Catholic bookshelf. They are, Not by Faith alone, Not by Scripture Alone and Not by Bread Alone. Although Bob is a geo centric he is a very able apologist, loyal Catholic, and debater for the Catholic faith. Dave Armstrong refuses to debate leading Protestants in public and yet attacks these various Protestants on his forum.

This is not Christian, nor is it fair in not allowing an opponent to give their side of the issues publicly. Karl Keating, Tim Staples and Robert Sungenis are the only ones who fairly debate Catholic issues, of which I highly respect them.
Old Jun 11, '05, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by piety101
I believe Dave is a very good apologist, but so is Karl Keating, Stephen Ray and Robert Sungenis. Bob Sungenis wrote three books which I feel should be on every Catholic bookshelf. They are, Not by Faith alone, Not by Scripture Alone and Not by Bread Alone. Although Bob is a geo centric he is a very able apologist, loyal Catholic, and debater for the Catholic faith. Dave Armstrong refuses to debate leading Protestants in public and yet attacks these various Protestants on his forum.

This is not Christian, nor is it fair in not allowing an opponent to give their side of the issues publicly. Karl Keating, Tim Staples and Robert Sungenis are the only ones who fairly debate Catholic issues, of which I highly respect them.
I disagree that he "attacks" Protestants and is "afraid" to debate in person. Personaly, I love debating over the computer and not in person too because then you get to meditate and gather your facts instead of being in public and being whatched and beaten because you forgot something or didn't have the proper imformation. That has happened to me so many times. Dave at least lets them respond back on his website all the time and that way the Catholic and the Protestant can say exactly what they want and gather the facts.

Some people just do not have the ability to speak up with loads of imformation back to back.
Old Jun 11, '05, 5:44 pm
Banned

JWB

I was always taught that a man should face another man face to face if he has something to say. That IS being a man about it. It is easy to build a website and take pot shots at others who don't agree with you and not allow them to FULLY express their views. Dave does allow White some response, but does not allow himself to confront White publicly in a FULL discussion, face to face. If you refuse to face someone man to man, then quit running his name and religion down on your website, even if he is wrong.

Both Karl Keating and Robert Sungenis take on all comers PUBLICLY and let them debate their issues fully. Even the scriptures state that if a brother takes issue with another brother, they should take it to THE CHURCH. Or publicly.
Old Jun 11, '05, 5:57 pm

Talking Re: Apologist Dave Armstrong?

Well I guess I'm not a man because I'de rather debate over the computer as well. Sometimes when I'm debating against someone I get angry when they start making such prideful comments and start getting obnoxious. Those are other reasons I'de rather debate over the computer. Am I a man? Am I a coward? Call me what you wish but I am not as smart as other people and I cannot speak up or think quickly about my responses and I wouldn't want someone whatching and think "He can't even make a response, is that what their faith is about? So ignorant? I guess the common Protestant claim about Catholics is right, they're ignorant."

Others may be gifted and alot smarter and quicker to response and yes I admit that a good LIVE debate is awesome and sparks your faith, BUT YOU BETTER BE A GOOD DEBATER or you'll get demonished even if you are right and perhaps have others think your wrong.

Also in the days of the St. Paul there was no email LOL
Old Jun 11, '05, 5:57 pm

I really like Dave Armstrong...his site is one of the first I found on the web early on, probably six or seven years ago now...I use the information there a lot, although I find it sad that he doesn't always have the funds to keep it up, and going.

I have the first of three books by him and find it very well written and well researched.

I will continue to use his site and buy his books.

Gracie
Old Jun 11, '05, 5:59 pm

Thumbs up Re: Apologist Dave Armstrong?

LOL I did have to chuckle when White said that Dave will soon crash the whole internet because of all his work EVERYWHERE and all his links ON EVERY PAGE HEHE

Keep it up Dave!
Old Jun 11, '05, 6:17 pm

Dave has given White PLENTY of chances to respond to his rebuttals....in fact he is currently waiting for a response from White after being challenged (by White) about his book The Catholic Verses. So what if it isn't a face to face debate? One can't get anymore "public" than the internet. People from around the globe can log onto Dave's blog to read any recent developments between him and the anti-Catholics of the world. Certainly doesn't make Dave "less of a man" because he doesn't engage in face to face debates. His books are proof enough that he knows how to defend the Catholic faith. I'd say you're more of a man when you're courageous enough to put what you believe down in writing for all the world to see -- regardless of the personal or financial costs involved.
Old Jun 11, '05, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVIN CKS
Dave has given White PLENTY of chances to respond to his rebuttals....in fact he is currently waiting for a response from White after being challenged (by White) about his book The Catholic Verses. So what if it isn't a face to face debate? One can't get anymore "public" than the internet. People from around the globe can log onto Dave's blog to read any recent developments between him and the anti-Catholics of the world. Certainly doesn't make Dave "less of a man" because he doesn't engage in face to face debates. His books are proof enough that he knows how to defend the Catholic faith. I'd say you're more of a man when you're courageous enough to put what you believe down in writing for all the world to see -- regardless of the personal or financial costs involved.
Amen and PRAISE THE LORD Hey, do you think Dave ever comes on here to talk? If so, HI DAVE!
Old Jun 11, '05, 10:01 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVIN CKS
Also, I highly recommend checking out his blog site at
http://socrates58.blogspot.com and his website is excellent also.
OK, if that's his blog, what's his website address?

Thanks,

NotWorthy
Old Jun 11, '05, 10:19 pm

Religion: Agnostic

As for myself, I think Dave is wonderful apologist and would recommend his books to anyone. I also prefer debating over the computer, as it gives me ample time to gather all the relevant facts and sources and to formulate a proper response.

Here is his site: http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZINDEX.HTM
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics