Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 18, '11, 12:19 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Inspirational CATHOLIC Books

I'm currently reading "Getting to Heaven: Departing Instructions for Your Life Now", by Don Piper, a Baptist minister. I'm really enjoying this book but it seems that whenever I find a good Christian inspirational book, giving practical advice for living our lives today, it's written by a Protestant. Are there any good Catholic authors out there who write books like the ones Don Piper, Rick Warren and Joel Osteen write but within a Catholic framework?

"I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13
Old Sep 18, '11, 2:34 pm
Observing Member

Default Re: Inspirational CATHOLIC Books

There are major Catholic publishers like Ignatius, Ascension and Servant, and many "celebrity" Catholic authors in a wide range of areas of interest. If there are Catholic bookstores near you, this would be a good place to browse, otherwise the publishers do have websites. Also, a lot of current authors appear on programs on the Catholic radio stations like Ave Maria, Relevant Radio, Franciscan Radio, etc, and the stations have websites that include calendars showing the content of the show from each day.
Old Sep 19, '11, 4:48 am
Banned

Religion: Olde fashioned Christian
Smile Re: Inspirational CATHOLIC Books

Read The Lord by Father Romano Guardini.

A long time favorite of mine.
Old Sep 19, '11, 5:44 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Read The Lord by Father Romano Guardini.

A long time favorite of mine.
Agree'd,

Also, There's wealth of info out here. Ignatius of Loyola, St Teresa of Avila, St John of the Cross, St Catherine of Siena, St John Chrysostom whom we just observed his feast day last week....all the Doctors of the Church "33' is a new book out. So there is a multitide of info which is really required reading for clear understanding of the Mystical Body of Christ

The work of Newman, and Fulton Sheen is GREAT, St Faustina is now being considered to be a Doctor of the Church, You can read Her on-line in her diarys. Its very time consuming and requires an in depth study. Quick reading for enjoyment is fine, but complete in-depth understanding requires years of study. And still leaves much to contemplate and consider in the Kingdom of God.

May we all find truth and spead it in Good Will. Its a facinating study which quickly comes to light the very questions we consider today, have been contemplated since the Apostles.

Peace

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Oct 26, '11, 9:04 pm
Forum Master

Here is a suggestion I received from a Catholic store that I frequent.

"Surrender: The Life Changing Power of Doing God's Will" by: Fr. Larry Richards.

This book outlines concrete steps you can take to be empowered for effective Christian living. Simply put, God wants every one of us to be a saint - which God makes possible by His grace. We respond by developing a plan for our life, in accordance with the Lord's will. Prayer is the key to all this.

I would have to agree with GaryTaylor who suggested reading the lives of some of the Saints to be a true inspiration and enriched my life.

There are a great deal of Catholic Authors out there one just has to look like Dr. Scott Hahn (I never read any of his books but I have heard a great deal about him on CAF).

http://www.scotthahn.com/

I'm not really sure how to explain this but I have also found that reading books by Don Piper and Rick Warren they have helped and formed me into a "better" Catholic.

I've also found Mitch Albom's books to be a true inspiration as well.

http://mitchalbom.com/

God bless,
goforgoal
"I thirst, I thirst for Jesus alone! Happy the souls who suffer in secret, known to God alone! How I love a soul suffering with patience, hidden with God alone! Once you have given God something, you must never take it back." ~ Blessed Maryam Bawārdī
Old Oct 27, '11, 12:40 am

Religion: Episcopalutheran (TEC & ELCA)

I'm not Catholic, but several Catholic authors are favorites of mine:

G.K. Chesterton
Garry Wills
Hans Küng
Peter Kreeft
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions