Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 19, '11, 10:39 am

Default How much am I suppose to give?

I am in RCIA and I have an embarrassing question. How much money am I supposed to give the church? Do they keep records of how much money everyone gives? In mass Sunday they said that pledge cards had been sent out to everyone in the parish and that got me to thinking about this. I am barely able to survive as it is and I will find it so embarrassing if people know I gave less than what they think I should. Also during the collection I saw some put thier money in envelopes.........did those have names on them? Is putting your name on your weekly givings expected and recorded?
Old Sep 19, '11, 12:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How much am I suppose to give?

You give what is appropriate with your conscience. Not everyone can give monetary donations, prayers and time with the many ministries of the church are important too.

The church does keep records, to give you a statement at the end of the year for your taxes. It is NOT public information and I would NOT let the fact that a priest or accountant knows change your mind on what is right. If they ever make you feel guilty about this, it's time to find another parish, IMHO.

I read a statistic that the average donation in the basket is $3 per person at church. We give more than that, but not the full 10% title that some people suggest. The range of what people give is between 0 and 10% of their income, generally. But overall it's quite low.

I guess as a rule I would look at what you spend on entertainment. If you don't have cable TV or go out to movies or dinner out because you can't afford it, I wouldn't feel bad about a minimal amount in the basket. If you have your own jet and drop a buck in once a month, maybe you're being kind of selfish.

Again, only you know your budget. Do what you think is right.
Old Sep 19, '11, 12:29 pm

The Church has no set amount one has to give in the collection at Mass. One should give according to ones means. In my parish, the Pastor suggests that tithing (10% of ones income) is too much for the average parishioner.so he recommends donating 5% of ones gross income a year-divided of course by the 52 weeks in the year.
Bear in mind, each parish church has enormous expenses. Priests do not derive their income from the collection plate. They are paid (not very much) by their Bishop and the stipend they receive for weddings and funerals....Just cleaning and maintaining the church and rectory structures comes to many thousands of dollars a year. Then, in many States, Counties and other communities, Church real estate is not tax exempt....and, each parish has to give a certain per-centage of its income to the Bishop....and we haven't even begun to discuss the parochial school expenses or alms to the poor.
Old Sep 19, '11, 12:38 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinBuffallo View Post
I am in RCIA and I have an embarrassing question. How much money am I supposed to give the church?
The Church does not tell us what to give.

The Church recommends a combination of time, talent and treasure. When giving, 10% is a guideline, but that is for all charitable giving. Some for the parish, some for the diocese, and some for other charities and causes you want to support.

Quote:
Do they keep records of how much money everyone gives?
If you give via check/envelope, yes, because they are required to give you a tax statement at the end of the year. It is a good idea to contribute regularly through enevelopes as the Church must budget like everyone else.

Quote:
In mass Sunday they said that pledge cards had been sent out to everyone in the parish and that got me to thinking about this.
This might be the annual diocesan appeal/bishop's appeal, or some special campaign like a building project. Typically pledge cards aren't done for regular Sunday giving.

Quote:
I am barely able to survive as it is and I will find it so embarrassing if people know I gave less than what they think I should. Also during the collection I saw some put thier money in envelopes.........did those have names on them? Is putting your name on your weekly givings expected and recorded?
The only people who "know" what you give are the staff who process the transactions for record keeping purposes. It is confidential. Yes, the envelopes are tied to specific parishioners, via a number or by name. Again, the Church is required to give tax receipts.

If you can give $1, give it. If you can give $100, give it. If you can give $1000, give it. Remember, you can also give time and talent in more abundance if you cannot give monetarily at this time. Volunteer in ministries at the parish.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Sep 19, '11, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post

The only people who "know" what you give are the staff who process the transactions for record keeping purposes. It is confidential. Yes, the envelopes are tied to specific parishioners, via a number or by name. Again, the Church is required to give tax receipts.
Yes, as a person who has counted the money, recorded checks, taken deposits to the bank etc---we have to sign a Guarantee of Confidentiality. We're not allowed to discuss parishioners' or church finances with each other, or anyone. We take this very seriously.

Also, the numbered/named envelopes help with the Archdiocese audit process. The church has to show where the money came from (ie candle, mass intentions, tithes, etc),, then where the money went---money trail. I don't know, if this is common to all Archdioceses, but mine is very strict about record keeping.
Old Sep 19, '11, 1:03 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
If you give via check/envelope, yes, because they are required to give you a tax statement at the end of the year.
Is that a requirment that stands everywhere? I have never once received a tax statement from the parish for what I put in the envelopes. I have no doubt they would send me one if I asked, but since I would need to contribute probably 30% of my income to make it worth it for me to itemize my deductions, I've never found it necessary.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, it’s more than that. It’s a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Sep 19, '11, 1:03 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asia53 View Post
Also, the numbered/named envelopes help with the Archdiocese audit process. The church has to show where the money came from (ie candle, mass intentions, tithes, etc),, then where the money went---money trail. I don't know, if this is common to all Archdioceses, but mine is very strict about record keeping.
Absolutely. All diocese have money handling procedures and segregation of duties to prevent fraud or embezzlement. However, parishioners CAN give anonymously if they so choose.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Sep 19, '11, 1:06 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
I am in RCIA and I have an embarrassing question. How much money am I supposed to give the church? Do they keep records of how much money everyone gives?
until you are Catholic you are not required to give anything
after that you are obligated to contribute to the support of the Church, meaning your local parish and diocese, and the worldwide Catholic Church, and her ministries, and God's poor.
there is no set dollar amount that is for your conscience. The most spiritually beneficial giving is sacrificial that is, involves some sacrifice on your part, no matter how small, for instance giving up a fast food meal, morning coffee once a week etc.

Yes the parish keeps records as required by IRS laws and you can get a record of your contributions for tax purposes at the end of the year. No that information is not published, except a general total of what is collected each week, not broken down by individual names. In the US most people who want to receive envelopes to use in tracking their donations must register in the parish. These also are not required, but they do save time and effort on the part of parish staff, and hence offer a savings of time and money.
Old Sep 19, '11, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
Is that a requirment that stands everywhere? I have never once received a tax statement from the parish for what I put in the envelopes. I have no doubt they would send me one if I asked, but since I would need to contribute probably 30% of my income to make it worth it for me to itemize my deductions, I've never found it necessary.
I know our parish will automatically send you one if you contribute over a certain amount. I think that may be a legal requirement, actually, for non-profits. But I'm not a lawyer so I don't know for certain.
Old Sep 19, '11, 2:30 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
Some parishes send to everyone as a matter of course.

Other parishes have you turn in a slip if you want a receipt or have something in the bulletin (usually in Dec or Jan) with a number to call or some other method of you letting the parish know you want a statement. That way they save on postage and printing. Many people do not itemize and therefore do not need the statements.

Parishes aren't actually required to send them out. But, they should be able to make them availalbe upon request.

Old Sep 20, '11, 4:54 am

I give what I am able to give each week into the basket as loose cash. Since I am not registered to a parish due to my work schedule, I go to a parish that has a weekend Mass that fits my schedule, and its not always the same one.

I also do contribute towards the 2nd collections done for things like missionaries or charities. I also do give things for outreach efforts when I am able to do so like food through the parish I am going to and/or the parish of my parents as an example.

Some people can give a large amount each week, others don't. Its best not to judge people on what they can give as you don't know their circumstances in life. For all you know, the widow who gives a dollar or 2 each weekend also participates in cooking for funeral luncheons 1 or 2 times a week that takes a few hours in a day or similar type of parish work.
Old Sep 20, '11, 7:18 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Some parishes send to everyone as a matter of course.

Other parishes have you turn in a slip if you want a receipt or have something in the bulletin (usually in Dec or Jan) with a number to call or some other method of you letting the parish know you want a statement. That way they save on postage and printing. Many people do not itemize and therefore do not need the statements.

Parishes aren't actually required to send them out. But, they should be able to make them availalbe upon request.
Ah, okay.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, it’s more than that. It’s a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Sep 22, '11, 9:02 pm

Religion: catholic

I once asked our Bishop ( now deceased) if I should give 10% of the gross or 10% of the net income. He said he would give 10% from the net. A few years later I overheard our parish Monsignor telling a gourp of men that they need to give 10% of the gross. He stated that thats what we need to do. Later, I told him what the bishop had told me , but he stuck to his own opinion. I think they are pretty close because of taxes are taken off the top.
Old Sep 23, '11, 2:09 pm

Maybe this verse will help"

Luke:

30“Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back. 31“Treat others the same way you want them to treat you. 32“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33“If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34“If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount.

35“But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. 36“Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

37“Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned. 38“Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure—pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return.”
Old Oct 14, '11, 9:01 pm

They used to say, give until it hurts... but the best saying I 've heard is, "Give until it feels good".

Years ago, some statistics on various levels of giving had Catholics, giving at around 2 or 3 percent of income. Sadly, that is among the lowest of all Christian denominations. Mormons gave about 13% (10 percent to their church and 3% to the poor). I think a huge part of the problem was the CHurch's de-emphasizing giving after all the scandals of the middle ages involving sales of indulgences and sales of religious favors.

As usual, among all groups the lower the income, the higher the percentage of giving... and the higher income folks gave a smaller percentage. (reminds me of the poor widow who gave all she had, while the Pharisees gave more, but much less percentage wise).

Give what you feel is right for your finacial situation. If things are really tight, drop a couple of dollars each week if that is all you can afford. IF things are better write a check for what you think is a fair percentage of your income. What we did was when our income increased, we increased our giving. IF you can't afford even a few dollars, just say a prayer or two for folks like yourself and others in your situation.

Remember that God always give us back far more than what we put in. We can never be more generous than God, He returns our gifts a hundred fold or even a thousand fold.

BUT keep in mind that we should be giving God, our 'first fruits', not what is left over. We always allot what we donate first to the Church and then work our budget around that. I don't think we have ever lowered our donations, even when we retired and started making less income. Keep God first in your life and you will never go astray.

Last edited by wcknight; Oct 14, '11 at 9:15 pm.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014