Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 28, '11, 6:01 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Church with price tag on candle lighting

Went to Mass at a Church near my work yesterday.
Was suprised to see a price tag on the donation box next to the electric votive candles for intentions.
It said something like - "Prayer Candle Lighting - $2.00 Donation"

I've never seen this before in any Catholic Church I've been in before.
Is this really right? Arent we supposed to give what we can?

I doubt that God wouldn't hear our prayers and intentions because we didnt give the amount on the donation box.

What does everyone else think?
Old Sep 28, '11, 6:11 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Church with price tag on candle lighting

The laborer is worthy of his hire.

I'm sure that if you did not have $2 on hand that you could light a candle --and then put an extra $2 in the envelope for Sunday's collection.

Electricity isn't free. Usually if donations are requested they are requested because the particular church needs financial help.

It isn't a question of "God hears me whether or not I pay for a $2 donation". That's a false dilemma.

It is a question of, "in this church, the priest has requested this, as he is entitled to do. That being the case, it is my responsibility, if I can make that payment --and most of us CAN--to do so. If I CANNOT make the payment, if I am absolutely so poor that every cent of my income is allocated to food, clothing and shelter, then I can light the candle without making the donation because God does not hold us to impossibilities. Finally, IF I can afford the payment but for some reason I only have $1.50 in my pocket, I can pay the $1.50 and make up the final 50 cents in the next Sunday collection, or drop it in the candle box the next time I come by. "

It is perfectly reasonable to request donations.

BTW: In MY parish, it's $3.00 donation for the electric candle!

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Sep 28, '11, 6:19 am

I cant get past the idea of an electric candle.......

granted you only have to see one church burn down before itll change your mind but still feels very artificial.
Old Sep 28, '11, 6:19 am

Religion: Practicing Catholic

I've seen it in two churches, $3. Don't like it.
Old Sep 28, '11, 7:06 am

Religion: Catholic- to the End

My Church recently installed the electric candles by the side of a statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. They request a $3.00 donation. This installation cost around $7,000, so the pastor is trying to pay for it. I do think the $3.00 donation is a little high. I don't really like to idea an electric candle. You can purchase memorial candles for loved ones that are lighted for a year for $300.00.
Old Sep 28, '11, 7:11 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Went to Mass at a Church near my work yesterday.
Was suprised to see a price tag on the donation box next to the electric votive candles for intentions.
It said something like - "Prayer Candle Lighting - $2.00 Donation"

I've never seen this before in any Catholic Church I've been in before.
Is this really right? Arent we supposed to give what we can?

I doubt that God wouldn't hear our prayers and intentions because we didnt give the amount on the donation box.

What does everyone else think?
Our parish has this as well. The donation is to defray the cost of the candles, pure and simple.
However - the fact remains that it is a {u]donation{/u] freely given. Whether one donates or not will not effect the efficacy of the prayer intention signified by the lighting of a candle.

You ask - "Aren't we suppose to give what we can?" This is a tricky question...If you walk into church with $100 dollars in 10 dollar bills in your pocket - how much "can you give" for the lighting of a candle? If you walk in with four quarters in your pocket, how much "can you give"....
I suspect that the person with 4 quarters will be more likely to drop in one of the quarters to light a candle, while the person with a wad of $10's will be less likely to drop $10 to light one candle...

Of course everyone is different...But if people really DID give what they could, the odds are that there would be no need for a "suggested donation".

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Sep 28, '11, 7:26 am

I have always known that a donation was expected when one lights a candle. Some places it has been posted, in others it was just "known" I believe it was originally based on the cost of the candle, which makes a lot of sense to me. You are just replacing what you use. However, in the era of electric candles it is probably trickier to figure out how much is required to support the light in one candle for a certain length of time. I still go to an old-fashioned church. We still have real candles, at least for today.
Old Sep 28, '11, 7:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecares View Post
I have always known that a donation was expected when one lights a candle. Some places it has been posted, in others it was just "known" I believe it was originally based on the cost of the candle, which makes a lot of sense to me. You are just replacing what you use. However, in the era of electric candles it is probably trickier to figure out how much is required to support the light in one candle for a certain length of time. I still go to an old-fashioned church. We still have real candles, at least for today.
even with high electric prices, it does not cost $2.00 to light an electric candle for a day.
I know you are supposed to give something, it just seems to throw the spirit off to put a price tag on it.
Old Sep 28, '11, 7:49 am

I don't think I have ever been in a church with votive candles that didn't ask for donations for lighting a candle (of course not every church I have been to has votive candles). Especially shrines or Churches with lots of tourists or visitors, always have suggested donations for lighting a candle, otherwise they would never be able to provide candles to all those who want them. Now electric candles are a little different, but the church still has to pay for the system, its maintenance, and the electricity.

Heck, the Cathedral in Cologne Germany charges you if you want to climb the bell tower. I can't remember if it was 50 euro cent or 1,50, but I thought it was a clever way to earn some money for the upkeep of the massive Cathedral and make people work those quads. But looking back I was happy to contribute to the Church and help provide for its upkeep.
Old Sep 28, '11, 8:16 am

Don't mind the donation, but the 'electric candle'?
Assuming they are not used for the alter for some wierd reason, why would the be used in the context of a votive prayer.
Old Sep 28, '11, 8:18 am

I agree. The box with a slot in it is common sense enough for most to get the idea. I will have to trust the church's decision that it's necessary, even if it feels insulting in a way. It could be because dollar bills are so common and so your church has noticed most put in only a dollar verses two dollars bundled together. If two per candle is what was figured for cost than it might have to be stated only because people are still in the "one dollar should cover it" mentality. There are some who throw in a five or more and make up the difference, but only those in charge truly know, so trust is needed. The only other way would be to mention it in the bulletin, during mass, or have a pamphlet available nearby explaining what to use the candles for and how to help cover their cost. That way even if people read it later they can give more if they realize they haven't been giving enough. I hope the lettering is not big and bright, but blends in with its surroundings so that you can only read it when you go up to light a candle.
God bless your intentions!
Old Sep 28, '11, 8:19 am

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I've seen suggested donation amounts listed in many churches in my area.

The reason it's done is that without such a sign, most people would not give anything (just because it wouldn't occur to them).

Most people have no idea just how much the replenishment of candles (or electricity usage) can eat out of a parish budget. A suggested amount is just that...an amount that helps the parish pay for the candles. If you don't wish to give that amount, then don't. But don't hold it against the parish for trying to pay its bills.

Whether or not you pay, and how much you pay, has nothing to do with God hearing your prayers. Even lighting the candle has nothing to do with God hearing your prayers. The candle is simply a symbol that a prayer has been put forth to God.

Support the expectation of dressing respectfully for Mass (for those who are able to but do not, referring to dressing with respect, not finery.) Give God better than the least you can do.
Old Sep 28, '11, 8:29 pm

I don't live in a region that does electric candles, but I've seen signs requesting specific amounts for large pillar candles in glass more often than I've seen signs requesting specific amounts for the small votives. I always figured it was because people are happy to throw in $.50-$1.00 for a votive, and the church doesn't take a loss on a box of votives... but they don't have a clue as to how much a glass pillar candle costs. I've heard churches specifically request people not bring in those grocery store glass pillar candles, because the glass is low-quality and can be susceptible to shattering if the candle gets too hot. So if there's something special about the candles they have to supply, it would make sense that they'd want to recoup those costs.

If the sign bothered me that much, I'd just light a candle in my house. It's not like God wouldn't hear a prayer I prayed in my own home, either. But it's a nice feeling to support the church's works in some small way by making a little votive offering, and don't we all appreciate the opportunity to spread a little extra charity in our lives?
Old Sep 28, '11, 8:50 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by midori_ View Post
I've heard churches specifically request people not bring in those grocery store glass pillar candles, because the glass is low-quality and can be susceptible to shattering if the candle gets too hot. So if there's something special about the candles they have to supply, it would make sense that they'd want to recoup those costs.
I'm not sure about this in regards to votives, but I believe that Altar candles must be a specific type wax or blend. This might be a reason for requesting people not bring in candles from outside also...

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Sep 28, '11, 9:00 pm

I have always seen a sign suggesting a donation. I do remember the last time I lit a candle my eyebrows shot up a bit at the price. But I guess inflation hits everyone.

But an electric candle? Sometimes, I am so thrilled I live in the rural mid-west.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality